Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kalit posted:

Where do you see that CAIR had an immediate press statement? That CAIR press event shown in that news story was from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbknyjyXSY

Yep, same day as the university president's statement, with the student onstage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

koolkal posted:

Sounds like the professor gave warnings and the real issue here is really whether the art should have been allowed to be shown at all, not the manner in which it was shown or how many warnings were given.

Like, the quote from the student itself frames it this way too: Noting she pays the same tuition and has to meet the same graduation requirements as other students, she asked: "Why do I have to look away?"

At least according to a professor at University of Michigan, it doesn't sound rare for Prophet Muhammad to be shown within academia:

quote:

Dr. Gruber said that showing Islamic art and depictions of the Prophet Muhammad have become more common in academia, because of a push to “decolonize the canon” — that is, expand curriculum beyond a Western model.

Granted, you could make the argument that all of the professors who do this are wrong, but this is definitely far from the only occurrence.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yep, same day as the university president's statement, with the student onstage.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant the same day as when the news came out about the student's complaint.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

koolkal posted:

Sounds like the professor gave warnings and the real issue here is really whether the art should have been allowed to be shown at all, not the manner in which it was shown or how many warnings were given.
One thing to not here is that this is a historical piece of art created by devout Muslims. The prohibition against depicting Mohammad has not been and is not universal in the Islamic world. It was ignorant of the school's administration to write that the professor's actions were Islamaphobic, an inaccurate understanding of the issue that generalizes a specific religious viewpoint to all of the diverse Islamic world.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's very normal to show things like depictions of Muhammad where relevant to the coursework, such as in history of religion/comparative theology classes- the fact that the notion isn't and wasn't universally held is straight up the kind of "oh cool I didn't know that" hook that one uses to appeal to undergrads under other circumstances, like the colossal clusterfuck of biblical authorship. The basis for the dismissal is like the exact inverse of how all this stuff's supposed to work; the external viewpoint is controlling the scope of academic content, to such an extent that, explicitly, no accommodation is acceptable. There's zero hint of any kind of inappropriateness from the instructor, and every indication that the student or group did this to set precedent on it.

A good test for reactions on this would be to compare it against, say, a similar demand about piss Christ getting discussed in an aesthetic philosophy class, or med school programs that teach abortion procedures.

edit: this might be worth pulling in some academics from SAL.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 12, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

koolkal posted:

Like, the quote from the student itself frames it this way too: Noting she pays the same tuition and has to meet the same graduation requirements as other students, she asked: "Why do I have to look away?"

She didn't have to look away. She chose to look away. We should make reasonable accommodations for religions (and in this case did), but we shouldn't let religions dictate what is acceptable for everyone else.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Rebel Blob posted:

One thing to not here is that this is a historical piece of art created by devout Muslims. The prohibition against depicting Mohammad has not been and is not universal in the Islamic world. It was ignorant of the school's administration to write that the professor's actions were Islamaphobic, an inaccurate understanding of the issue that generalizes a specific religious viewpoint to all of the diverse Islamic world.

Its part of a Salafi extremist iconoclastism, which notably also involves demolishing what could be considered world heritage sites in Mecca and Medina. Its an extreme interpretation around the prohibition on idols.

This is almost literally the poo poo terrorists use in justifying dynamiting archeological sites. Its not that it is used as a item of devotion, its that its an image that doesn't fit into their worldview, including the fact that other interpretations of Islam (and other cultures in general) have ever existed. The most extreme forms of this ban depictions of the human figure entirely.

Its like the white power jackasses whining when a minority woman in a film is more important than a white man, or when someone whose race doesn't have an impact on the story isn't white.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The events being referred to in the article on the Hamline University art class took place more than a week ago, and therefore it is against the rules of this thread to quote or discuss the article. I regret the impending probations of the posters who have been discussing this article.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ThE eVeNtS bEiNg ReFeRrEd To In ThE aRtIcLe On ThE hAmLiNe UnIvErSiTy ArT cLaSs ToOk PlAcE mOrE tHaN a WeEk AgO, aNd ThErEfOrE iT iS aGaInSt ThE rUlEs Of ThIs ThReAd To QuOtE oR dIsCuSs ThE aRtIcLe. I rEgReT tHe ImPeNdInG pRoBaTiOnS oF tHe PoStErS wHo HaVe BeEn DiScUsSiNg ThIs ArTiClE.

Get a life.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

the fact that the notion isn't and wasn't universally held is straight up the kind of "oh cool I didn't know that" hook that one uses to appeal to undergrads under other circumstances, like the colossal clusterfuck of biblical authorship.
That was in fact the purpose it was being used for in the class (about global art history):

Hamline University Student Newspaper posted:

The Oracle was able to identify these two images using video of the lecture. The first was a 14th century depiction of the Prophet receiving his first revelation from the archangel Gabriel, created by Rashīd al-Dīn, a Persian Muslim scholar and historian.

The other depicts the Prophet with a veil and halo. It was created by Mustafa ibn Vali in the 16th century as part of an illustration of the Siyer-i Nebi (the Life of the Prophet), an earlier, Ottomon Turkish epic work on the life of Muhammad.

“I am showing you this image for a reason. And that is that there is this common thinking that Islam completely forbids, outright, any figurative depictions or any depictions of holy personages. While many Islamic cultures do strongly frown on this practice, I would like to remind you there is no one, monothetic Islamic culture,” the professor said before changing to the slide that included these depictions.
https://hamlineoracle.com/10750/news/who-belongs/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Barrel Cactaur posted:

This is almost literally the poo poo terrorists use in justifying dynamiting archeological sites. Its not that it is used as a item of devotion, its that its an image that doesn't fit into their worldview, including the fact that other interpretations of Islam (and other cultures in general) have ever existed. The most extreme forms of this ban depictions of the human figure entirely.

I'm of the opinion that there's a non-zero number of instances of iconoclasm where it's really about pissing off white people in the West than it is to fulfill religious doctrine.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rebel Blob posted:

This is true. You can find historical depictions especially in Persia, Central Asia, etc. Here is a small collection (content warning, shows face of prophet) on a tumblr: :nws: https://minyatursanati.tumblr.com/post/102227009168/tarihi-tablolarda-hz-muhammedin-y%FCz%FC :nws:

Star Man posted:

I'm of the opinion that there's a non-zero number of instances of iconoclasm where it's really about pissing off white people in the West than it is to fulfill religious doctrine.

Some specific examples would be welcome

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mawarannahr posted:

Some specific examples would be welcome

I don't have any and am pulling it out of my rear end and just making noise.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Everyone who was guessing that George Santos isn't George Santos' real name, collect your prizes now
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1613368093551611909

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Youth Decay posted:

Everyone who was guessing that George Santos isn't George Santos' real name, collect your prizes now
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1613368093551611909

I'm going to guess that Anthony Devolver was the alias.

Or one of the aliases.

:stare:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"The Talented Mr. Devolder" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or one of the aliases.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/openly-gay-rep-elect-george-santos-didnt-disclose-divorce-with-woman

According to the Daily Beast, his middle name is allegedly Anthony and Devolder is his mother's, the one who died multiple times in different ways, maiden name. He's used it as an alias several times, including running as "Devolder Santos" for Congress in 2020, and ran a GoFundMe for his mother's funeral costs as "Anthony Devolder" on behalf of himself as "Antony Santos". He raised $1,850 of his $9,000 asking amount.

Call this motherfucker Devolder Fibsalot because he's just schemes and aliases all the way down.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

She didn't have to look away. She chose to look away. We should make reasonable accommodations for religions (and in this case did), but we shouldn't let religions dictate what is acceptable for everyone else.

also if we going to such granular(dumb) measurements of tuition dollars she only lost a few dollars?? also I hope all the students dont cheat on diet and food stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or one of the aliases.

His full name is reportedly George Anthony Devolder Santos. The "Devolder" comes from his mother, Fatima Aziza Caruso Horta Devolder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

"The Talented Mr. Devolder" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

I kind of ruined my Revolver Ocelot joke one post up because I thought of it in two seconds and then realized that it's Decoy Octopus who's the one who pretends to be other people.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/openly-gay-rep-elect-george-santos-didnt-disclose-divorce-with-woman

According to the Daily Beast, his middle name is allegedly Anthony and Devolder is his mother's, the one who died multiple times in different ways, maiden name. He's used it as an alias several times, including running as "Devolder Santos" for Congress in 2020, and ran a GoFundMe for his mother's funeral costs as "Anthony Devolder" on behalf of himself as "Antony Santos". He raised $1,850 of his $9,000 asking amount.

Call this motherfucker Devolder Fibsalot because he's just schemes and aliases all the way down.

I half expected the pictures of his mother on the gofundme to just be him in a wig wearing a shawl.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of ruined my Revolver Ocelot joke one post up because I thought of it in two seconds and then realized that it's Decoy Octopus who's the one who pretends to be other people.

Technically Ocelot also did that. Once. It's really stupid if you think about it for any length of time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Devolder they come devolder they fall

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
we tell people first entering the working world 'fake it till you make it', then complain when that advice catapults them into the halls of power. just hypocrisy really

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only place this saga can go from here is that George Santos does not actually exist and the photos and videos are all fakes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 hours!)

Trump just lost a huge chunk of his black support:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/us/diamond-and-silk-lynnette-hardaway-dead.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

The only place this saga can go from here is that George Santos does not actually exist and the photos and videos are all fakes

who is george santos? he is supposed to be brazilian. some say his father was german. nobody believed he was real. nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear biden tell it, anybody could have worked for santos. you never knew. that was his power. the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. and like that, poof. he's gone

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

George Santos used to go by a different name: John Barron.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Oh, I used to work at Caruso, Santos & Devolder. Not that bad.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

George Santos used to go by a different name: John Barron.

He also went by David Dennison

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Either that or he murdered the original George Santos and stole his life completely like a changeling or a brood parasite.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Angry_Ed posted:

It's really stupid if you think about it for any length of time.

Yeah, that's Metal Gear all right.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
So is santos ... actually a crazy person? Legitimately mentally ill in some way that we find out about soon?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kavros posted:

So is santos ... actually a crazy person? Legitimately mentally ill in some way that we find out about soon?

He's probably just taking right wing cynicism to it's logical conclusion.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kavros posted:

What would that be like? Mr. Burns and the Three Stooges Syndrome but for mental health?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Good riddance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
For 12 years you've been asking "who is George Santos?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kavros posted:

Seems like the next logical step in who the GOP puts forward from Palin to Boebart to MTG to Devolder. Like there's no way in hell the GOP didn't know this about him already now that we see it's at this level.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

For 12 years you've been asking "who is George Santos?"

Well yeah, the answers keep changing on a monthly basis.

Perhaps the true answer is...us. We are all George Santos. Welcome to the Santos, George.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess its a little different because it is/was his actual name not his grandad's name or a euphemism by a reporter but I wonder if calling him either Santos or Devolder is going to become an epic culture war own like Drumpf or Brandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

It's very normal to show things like depictions of Muhammad where relevant to the coursework, such as in history of religion/comparative theology classes- the fact that the notion isn't and wasn't universally held is straight up the kind of "oh cool I didn't know that" hook that one uses to appeal to undergrads under other circumstances, like the colossal clusterfuck of biblical authorship. The basis for the dismissal is like the exact inverse of how all this stuff's supposed to work; the external viewpoint is controlling the scope of academic content, to such an extent that, explicitly, no accommodation is acceptable. There's zero hint of any kind of inappropriateness from the instructor, and every indication that the student or group did this to set precedent on it.

A good test for reactions on this would be to compare it against, say, a similar demand about piss Christ getting discussed in an aesthetic philosophy class, or med school programs that teach abortion procedures.

edit: this might be worth pulling in some academics from SAL.
I teach at a private, liberal arts college, so I might have an "insider" perspective on academic freedom.

Our college has a guiding document that basically says "professors have the freedom to talk about challenging or sensitive topics that are within the scope of practice." We define "scope of practice" specifically because we have had instances where, for example, English professors pontificate on vaccine efficacy (guess what their opinions might be...) or Biology professors talk about Trump. "Academic freedom" as we define it is supposed to protect against this sort of thing from happening. A health professor could talk about abortion if that is the topic of the day, because it is within scope of practice.

However, our guiding document defines faculty as being "full-time, tenure-track," specifically exempting adjuncts from protection. I wasn't around for developing that language, so I can't say exactly why we do that, but it could be because an adjunct does not go through the same strict scrutiny that a professor on the tenure track does, and that an adjunct - who is typically on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course contract - doesn't expect the same kind of protections as FTE faculty do. So, I think the argument is, because they aren't employees of the school, they aren't offered the same protections, and thus could be canned for any reason. I suspect that Hamline, being also a private, liberal arts school, operates similarly. (please let's not turn this into a derail about the state of adjuncts in higher ed, because I 100% support them and think they are treated like poo poo a lot of times)

If this were something that happened with one of our tenure-track faculty, we have a procedure that needs to be followed, that generally goes "student makes a complaint (ideally first to the "offending" professor, but not necessarily), then goes to the Dean of the School, the Dean gathers facts and makes a decision on whether the complaint is "reasonable," if the student or faculty member doesn't like it, they can complain up to the Provost, the Provost then calls a meeting of an Academic Freedom Committee made up of faculty from around the college who makes a decision, throws that decision up to the Provost, who gets the final say. Needless to say, this process takes forever. There are lots of checks and balances, and there is a committee whose job it is to make sure the faculty feels supported.

Our academic freedom procedure is designed specifically to make sure this sort of kerfuffle doesn't happen. Again, we would not have done this in this case because the person was an adjunct.

What's also wild about this situation is that the student could have said their thing - "Hamline is racist!" or whatever - and the university could have said something like, "we appreciate the opportunity to have a public dialogue about the subject/we appreciate all viewpoints," etc., and, if they really didn't like what the adjunct did, months later they could just not renew the contract. This entire PR nightmare could have been avoided easily.