Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Thank you for this thread and the last one. I checked out the sport last time and am following/learning this time. I'm having a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Massive mental lapse here - somehow convinced myself we started next weekend! I have some picks in case I'm allowed a very belated entry, otherwise I shall sit out for breaking fantasy COVID protocols.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonawaka

M1-M5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Mitakeumi

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Onosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Ichiyamamoto
Kagayaki

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 4: Terutsuyoshi finally got a win! :woop:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu is obviously trying to protect his neck. Setting aside the tremendous concerns about being in a fight with a neck injury, his surge has come from him getting his ozeki era explosive tachiai back. Without it he's not going to be able to do anything.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 4: Looks like Toshinoshin got hurt in his match with Kotoshoho. Collarbone or a dislocated shoulder possibly... he was in obvious pain and cradling his arm on the way out. And holy poo poo, that Wakamotoharu/Meisei trip nearly annihilated an entire row. I wouldn't be shocked if Meisei had a concussion from that impact, he was dumped clear off the dohyo.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 11, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kenning, if I can, I'd like to trade Oho for either Ura or Hokutofuji. Thanks!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Fearless posted:

Day 4: Looks like Toshinoshin got hurt in his match with Kotoshoho. Collarbone or a dislocated shoulder possibly... he was in obvious pain and cradling his arm on the way out. And holy poo poo, that Wakamotoharu/Meisei trip nearly annihilated an entire row. I wouldn't be shocked if Meisei had a concussion from that impact, he was dumped clear off the dohyo.

The way he didn't try to use the arm at all makes me think it was already injured, but maybe happened on the initial impact...? Foot was taped up today too. Huge bummer since he was looking strong for the first few days.

Edit: holy suplex Batman!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 11, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

TRAGEDY! Kintamayama's computer died so he won't be uploading any basho recap videos for a few days. He sounded pretty bummed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cu09mWJdag

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

net work error posted:

TRAGEDY! Kintamayama's computer died so he won't be uploading any basho recap videos for a few days. He sounded pretty bummed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cu09mWJdag

Dangit, that sucks. He was how I watched. What's the next best similar option?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 4: Natto has so many more pixels. I'm not used to HD sumo.

Aoiyama is way more mobile than I've seen in some time. Has he lost weight or something?

Meisei vs Wakamotoharu was excellent!

Hoshoryuu had a hell of a recovery from that tachiai.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Takarafuji must have broken or sprained his wrist. He seemed to give up and his hand was just flopping around

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 4: I hate to see Wakatakakage lose a match but 4/5 ain't bad. My brand of sumo is to win by any means necessary.

Ichiyamamoto had a rough start, hopefully he keeps up the momentum!

in Juryo, Enho had a great match today and Hokuseiho looked great. Does having a tall heavy dude lean on you really tire you out that much?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Day 4: in Juryo, Enho had a great match today and Hokuseiho looked great. Does having a tall heavy dude lean on you really tire you out that much?

Day 4: Leaning on smaller opponents is a tried and true effective strategy in basically all heavyweight combat sports.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Day 4 (kinda)

Takarafuji is one of those guys who has never pulled out of a bout in his entire career so while he's probably not going to pull out during this basho either, that doesn't mean he isn't severely injured and basically unable to fight

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Day 4:
. Does having a tall heavy dude lean on you really tire you out that much?

Yeah it can, but not nearly so much as trying to make him move the way you want for a couple of minutes straight. That some of these men carry the sheer mass that they do and retain so much stamina and agility is shocking to me.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cocomonk3 posted:

Dangit, that sucks. He was how I watched. What's the next best similar option?

Looks like he managed to post today though late. Don't know if that means his issues are fixed though or if he's going to have more issues in the future...

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Trade request: Oho for Onosho, Aoiyama or Ura please.

Plus one on the concerned for Papayasu crowd, wish he could just rest and recuperate :(

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He could, though.

Sure, he'd lose rank, but who cares? Honestly, his best chance of winning a yusho is to go kyujo to rest/recover from injuries and then spend the first week of the next basho can crushing in the lower maegashira.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Khizan posted:

He could, though.

Sure, he'd lose rank, but who cares? Honestly, his best chance of winning a yusho is to go kyujo to rest/recover from injuries and then spend the first week of the next basho can crushing in the lower maegashira.

The psychology of the banzuke is super interesting to me, if you're going for yushos then it makes sense to take your rest, but if you're hoping to put together an Ozeki run then you might value position more, missing two Bashos then having to climb that mountain again might be a factor in some of these decisions to gut things out.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The low rank Yusho worked great for Abi but not for Oho since they fed him to the sanyaku earlier :mad:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
he's got a ways to go before the current record.

(points if you can guess who it belongs to before clicking through)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
my guess was enho, soon to return to maegashira but i was wrong (but close! ish!)

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613368029659951105?s=20

Tochi noooooo :smith: Given it looked like a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone I don't think he's coming back...

Edit: Google translate did a pretty alright job:

quote:

Former sumo wrestler Ozeki Nishimaegashira 11th, Tochinoshin (35) = real name Levani Gorgaze, from Georgia, Kasugano stable = reported to the Japan Sumo Association on the 12th, the 5th day of the first place. He dislocated his left shoulder joint on the fourth day against Kotokatsuho , his second loss, and was diagnosed as likely to need two weeks of rest. According to his master Kasugano Oyakata (former sekiwake Tochino Waka ), it is difficult to reappear, and the next place is expected to fall to Juryo. Tochinoshin will be closed for the 12th time since the 2021 Kyushu tournament. His Day 5 opponent, Takarafuji, received a bye. 

Kenning, could I please trade Tochinoshin for Kotoshoho or Kotoeko?

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 12, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

God drat it. Kenning, can I get the following trades:

* Trade Tochinoshin (now kyujo) for Takarafuji, Kotoshoho, or Kotoeko
* Trade Oho (who is just plain suckin it up) for Onosho, Aoiyama, or Hokutofuji

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

He's going to continue until he drops from Juryo. I hate seeing him injured because when he is on, his sumo is great to watch. I remember him during his Ozeki run and it was basically lights out once he got a belt grip.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Vargatron posted:

He's going to continue until he drops from Juryo. I hate seeing him injured because when he is on, his sumo is great to watch. I remember him during his Ozeki run and it was basically lights out once he got a belt grip.

I really need to watch more of his Ozeki run. I've seen some of it but I kind of want to watch whole basho from the period.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

RIP Tochi; of course it’d be the first time I picked you when you finally break :smith:

Making my kyujo trade for either Kotoshoho or Kagayaki.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I cursed Tochi I am sorry to Tochicrew.

Trade him for Azumaryu or Kotoshoho

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

whats for dinner posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613368029659951105?s=20

Tochi noooooo :smith: Given it looked like a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone I don't think he's coming back...

poo poo. drat. Kenning, I'd like to trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Chiyomaru if possible

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Well that's a bummer. Assuming Tochi does stick around and that he recovers, I think he could do well enough in juryo to make it back. He's been turning in respectable enough scores to hover around mid-maegashira even without being able to pull off the sky crane.

bessantj posted:

drat you Tiny Bug Child. You don't know me and we've never interacted but with you one point and place above me you are my mortal nemesis!

Nothing personal, you're just standing in the way of my return to yokogoona :evilbuddy:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Welp. Oho is sucking. Time to trade.

I'd like to trade Oho for Onosho, Ura or Hokotofuji please.

Also I feel bad for Tochi. :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, Oho's gotta go. Kenning, can I trade Oho for Onosho, Hokutofuji, or Ura, please?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

whats for dinner posted:

I really need to watch more of his Ozeki run. I've seen some of it but I kind of want to watch whole basho from the period.
honestly if you can find the footage of any of the old ozeki runs, you're in for a treat. it's harder the further back you go - i've always wanted to rewatch all of Ama/Harumafuji's sealing the deal at Kyushu 2008, but there's only uploads of individual matches that are extremely low def and/or people taking video of their tvs. even then, just watching him sling Kotooshu (who was a foot taller) around the dohyo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yoDMjrA3Q

...or the final play-off with Hakuho that turned into a Mongolian Wrestling match really brings back the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN38ZFBZf-w

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
No.............................

Kenning, I gotta get Tochi out of mine, pick between Kotoeko, Azumaryu, Ura for me

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If I could please swap Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Kotoshoho.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i'll swap tochinoshin for whoever is on the fewest amount of rosters, or if that's not an option, a completely random option, and if that's not an option, Kotoeko or Kotoshoho

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Well that's a bummer. Assuming Tochi does stick around and that he recovers, I think he could do well enough in juryo to make it back. He's been turning in respectable enough scores to hover around mid-maegashira even without being able to pull off the sky crane.

It's still kind of tragic to watch him get his opponent exactly in the position to crane out - too vertical, near the rope, inside grip on mawashi, but then there's the sad moment when he remembers he can't actually get them up and switches technique.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh dear I may be new to the sport but that did not look good. Kenning can I trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Ichiyamamoto?

Feeling lost like Shodai now.

Edit: dang didn't even realise when matches started lol, stupid sleep getting in the way of sumo

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 12, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Day 5 Ura got Ura'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 5: Tobizaru's henka on Mitakeumi happened at light speed. Shodai looks like he needs a hug and a counsellor.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 12, 2023