Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
yeah you might die to the mushrooms, if your deck sucks. but if your deck sucks, and you take the curse instead, making it suck even more, then you're about to die to the act 1 boss or something anyway.

always fight the mushrooms, never rest vs hexaghost, always play blasphemy without doing the math first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait what's this about resting before hexaghost why shouldn't you rest before Hexaghost

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Artelier posted:

Wait what's this about resting before hexaghost why shouldn't you rest before Hexaghost
The first big multiple attack is scaled to your health, ie the more you have the harder it hits.

That means resting before Hexaghost is very often not really worth it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Artelier posted:

I will refer you to the discussion on last page. Tl;dr: hexaghost's damage on turn 2 depends on your health, so he effectively punishes you for resting, devaluing the rest.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Artelier posted:

Its T2 attack does more damage if you're on more HP

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

Artelier posted:

Hexaghost does 6*H damage on Turn 2. H = Floor(Current HP/12) + 1

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ghost man hit hard rest bad

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Resting before hexa is worth only half as much health due to his scaling attack. Don't rest unless you absolutely have to.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Early sentries are such a kick in the dick as Defect when your main offensive option is randomly targeted.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Vile posted:

Early sentries are such a kick in the dick as Defect when your main offensive option is randomly targeted.

Defect has orbs doing passive block and damage and as such is less screwed over by the dazes tho

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Defect has orbs doing passive block and damage and as such is less screwed over by the dazes tho

Absolutely, having frost orbs online completely reverses it and makes them probably the easiest elite fight. But ramming into them before picking up a Glacier or something is pain.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I don’t care what anyone says, corruption plus dead branch NEVER gets old.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
It’s a dopamine clown car full of wonderful surprises.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well I've graduated from stumbling through A0 losing in various shameful ways* to regularly dying to the heart, so that's progress. Had my first double KO to the heart too.

* "Bites? I'd love to have five Bites" says John Murdoch at 5am while running a Perfected Strike deck.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I have been doxxed.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

John Murdoch posted:

Well I've graduated from stumbling through A0 losing in various shameful ways* to regularly dying to the heart, so that's progress. Had my first double KO to the heart too.

* "Bites? I'd love to have five Bites" says John Murdoch at 5am while running a Perfected Strike deck.

big ol' pile a 'dem BITES

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
just fish for a Perfected Bite and you'll be golden

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just reset every time neows lament doesent immediately show a path through first elite, simple.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Learning when to pick Snecko Eye is tough, since its the correct pick like 80% of the time, so if you just ALWAYS pick it you'll be right more often than not, and if you only take it half the time you might win anyway, and it doesn't show up that often. Also you probably don't want to start with it.

Also, the most common situation when you shouldn't pick it is fairly obvious (lots of 0-cost cards), but there are other, much less obvious situations. So there's like 10% of the time when taking snecko eye is the wrong move, but looks right.

Also, like 3/4 of my A20 wins are because of Snecko Eye I swear. It's not that I can't win with anything else, but when I do pick it, I almost always win.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Just threw away an incredible run with one utterly boneheaded decision. Astrolabe netted me a Creative AI+, a Biased Cognition+ and an Aggregate+, and then I used Biased Cog at the start of bronze automaton like a dummy and wrecked myself with the focus loss.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

The heart is a huge difficulty leap. Baalorlord, and I too, suggest considering leveling up ascensions for a while before trying to tackle the heart at A0

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
always go for the heart :getin:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lmao, just had an absurd Silent run, got dead branch off the first elite, immediately picked up a Blade Dance. At some point I picked up a real Storm of Steel, and then I just started going for discard synergy stuff, since Blade Dance is effectively Draw 3 now. I grabbed the card that lets you discard 2 cards to make 2 energy that I never usually take, as well as a Tactician and Acrobatics, and a few more shiv cards. An early Accuracy helped a LOT, and then a Shuriken happened during the chaos.

I loving love dead branch

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also, the traditional advice is that Ascension 1 is generally easier than Ascension 0. The rewards for beating elites are really important and you can use the extra elite spawns as loot pinatas, and even if you're struggling and don't feel like routing for maximum elites having more of them around gives you added flexibility to pick routes with some elites.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Ascension 4 cleared! Deck was pretty much just crazy power spam with mummified hand and meteor strike. The boss was Awakened One but it turns out it doesn't really matter if you let him get to +14 strength when you can casually generate 100+ block in a turn.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Recently got this game and have been having a lot of fun with it. Though i find i'm dying alot with the watcher, even with out collecting the keys.
Which would be tough enough having give up the other options at rest spots on top of not being able to collect artifacts after getting them.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Out of interest, if you take the boss relic replacement starter gift and then grab a black blood or frozen core type thing, will it replace your starter gift or just give you a freebie since you don't have the thing it normally replaces?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Vile posted:

Out of interest, if you take the boss relic replacement starter gift and then grab a black blood or frozen core type thing, will it replace your starter gift or just give you a freebie since you don't have the thing it normally replaces?

The "upgraded" starter relics can't be given by the boss relic swap option.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm relatively sure that the starter upgrades can only show up if you actually still have the starter. I've never been offered one after trading.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

A Moose posted:

Learning when to pick Snecko Eye is tough, since its the correct pick like 80% of the time, so if you just ALWAYS pick it you'll be right more often than not, and if you only take it half the time you might win anyway, and it doesn't show up that often. Also you probably don't want to start with it.

Also, the most common situation when you shouldn't pick it is fairly obvious (lots of 0-cost cards), but there are other, much less obvious situations. So there's like 10% of the time when taking snecko eye is the wrong move, but looks right.

Also, like 3/4 of my A20 wins are because of Snecko Eye I swear. It's not that I can't win with anything else, but when I do pick it, I almost always win.

Are there any general picks on how best to use the Snecko Eye well? I have found that when I've experimented with it (and I'm mostly a scrub who can sometimes or not beat the Heart on A1) I end up on a turn where I'm facing a huge hit and everything in my hand costs 2 or 3 energy and I am dead.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

The "upgraded" starter relics can't be given by the boss relic swap option.

I know about that wrinkle, I mean that if you swapped, say, burning blood for a rusty key at the start and then found a black blood from the actual boss relics, would it eat your rusty key or just give you a freebie?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Vile posted:

I know about that wrinkle, I mean that if you swapped, say, burning blood for a rusty key at the start and then found a black blood from the actual boss relics, would it eat your rusty key or just give you a freebie?

They won't ever appear in boss rewards if you boss relic swapped

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm relatively sure that the starter upgrades can only show up if you actually still have the starter. I've never been offered one after trading.

Zore posted:

They won't ever appear in boss rewards if you boss relic swapped

Shame but makes sense I guess, thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Mike N Eich posted:

Are there any general picks on how best to use the Snecko Eye well? I have found that when I've experimented with it (and I'm mostly a scrub who can sometimes or not beat the Heart on A1) I end up on a turn where I'm facing a huge hit and everything in my hand costs 2 or 3 energy and I am dead.

You are using it correctly.

(Serious answer: take expensive cards so you are more likely to get a discount, draw more cards so you have more chances of affordable cards.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And if you have access to exhaust, just burn off those 3 cost defends instead of cycling them back into the deck, at least in hallway fights.

Drunk Nerds posted:

The heart is a huge difficulty leap. Baalorlord, and I too, suggest considering leveling up ascensions for a while before trying to tackle the heart at A0

To be clear, I'm an old hat at the game. But I spent a long time not playing and just watching streams instead. So my basic skills seriously atrophied. A0 was never this hard for me previously, though the Heart is always a bit of a wildcard.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I used to be very apprehensive about Snecko Eye, especially because of how lovely the battle with Snecko and confusion can be, but after realizing that's more due to my decks usually not being optimized for it (I tend to run energy efficient decks), it's pretty amazing when you have things that really suit it. Meteor Strike (better if you have two) is godly with it, especially if you have ways to get it back in your hand.

Generally though, the important thing you get from it is card draw, which is low key the most valuable thing to winning at this game.

On the random energy costs, I think Baalor and redditors have worked out that even if you have a lot of 1 or 0 cost cards, even lowering the cost of one or two 2+ energy cards will generally outweigh the problem with increased costs of those cheap cards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The biggest reason not to take Snecko is it turns off most infinites. There are some (especially with Meteor Strike) which you can still use with it, but a lot of the standard Watcher and Ironclad ones are just completely undone by randomizing costs.

Watcher in general probably almost never wants Snecko because she's so consistent without it it really only adds in more points of failure.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

Yes: the next act prioritize hallway combats and especially shops and avoid events and especially elites at all costs (unless your deck was already high cost cards).

You can usually make up for bad draw turns against act 2 hallway monsters as you get more and more high cost cards. The life lost is usually outscaled by how fast your deck's power grows. But a bad draw against an act 2 elite can end your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Today's daily is an excellent example of when snecko eye is a slam pick.