Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Luthien being a Jedi would be such a disappointment. It just makes the galaxy feel so small, that everywhere you loving turn is yet another guy who dodged Order 66 for some reason.

Maybe I'm the oddball but I never liked the Jedi stuff all that much to begin with. As a kid, Star Wars to me was the cool spaceships, gross puppet aliens, and wild hijinx. The Jedi were cool, but were best in small doses. The prequels hit me with wayyyy too much boring Jedi muttering and the sequels did a good job of taking what could have been a rowdy interstellar war into a boring romcom relationship entirely fixated on Rey and Ren while the war itself was a minor element.

You're not the only one. I grew up with alot of ancillary star wars stuff like videogames and novels, and to me Star Wars was more space adventures, WW2 spaceship dogfighting, alien worldbuilding and David vs Goliath good guys vs evil empire stuff.

The Jedi were a cool mystery, and stood out in my mind for their mysticism rather than their warrior qualities.

The prequels and the ancillary material around them doubled down on the idea they were super hero warrior factions, and each property got more ridiculous at how they were going to out 'cool' the last lightsaber gimmick with some new twist on it.

This really ended up cementing the idea that Jedi ARE Star Wars, and everything has to revolve around them. Even Rogue One, a film that was supposed to be different, ended having a warrior blind monk guy who uses the Force, like they had to hit that bingo card or else it wouldn't be Star Wars enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

No Mods No Masters posted:

The show's thesis is basically that you don't have to be a jedi for your life to matter in star wars. It owns quite a bit that people can't accept this even to the extent of hallucinating secret jedi

Going frame by frame when a laser is fired to see if it might actually be a lightsaber is something I was not expecting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

Luthen hobnobs with senators in the heart of Coruscant, and his disguise does not include a hood or closed helmet, only a wig. He can't be a Jedi; he'd have been recognized.

Not all force users were Jedi :twisted:

I don't care either way tbh. I just hope he goes out like a badass.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hes actually the first escaped Palpatine clone, effectively making him Rey's uncle

All roads lead to episode IX :twisted:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I mean who isn't Rey's uncle at this point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is Andor the first Star Wars show/movie to not have a lightsaber sound effect at any point? Even Solo had Maul turn his saber on and off for no reason right before his zoom with what's her name ended lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They haven't actually released any info on what plans might be in the works for moving forward with the story post-RoS have they? They have all of this content from the past several years that plays around in the past, I just wonder if they've even put any plans in motion yet about how they're going to push forward with the story instead of constantly looking back.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

They haven't actually released any info on what plans might be in the works for moving forward with the story post-RoS have they? They have all of this content from the past several years that plays around in the past, I just wonder if they've even put any plans in motion yet about how they're going to push forward with the story instead of constantly looking back.

I seriously doubt it. I think they're going to continue running Star Wars in a purely reactionary way. Like eventually Disney+ subscriptions or overall viewer numbers for Star Wars tv shows may go down more than they want. About a year after that on May 4th or whatever they'll drop the promo image that's just a starfield with a big angled "EPISODE X" on it regardless of what they have planned or not.

lmao or they give Rian Johnson a call

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 11, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Obi-Wan lost viewers with every episode and Andor gained them, so that's heartening.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At this point you can't really tell if they're doing the right thing (planning, experimenting to see what people want, building a roster of proven creatives for future projects) or just sort of randomly doing things like a dog. But you do wonder what will signal to them that "star wars fatigue" has abated and it's time to put the movie hose at full blast again

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Is Andor the first Star Wars show/movie to not have a lightsaber sound effect at any point? Even Solo had Maul turn his saber on and off for no reason right before his zoom with what's her name ended lol

Ewok movies, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have no problem with Luthen being a jedi, depending on how they develop that

He would be a fallen jedi that can no longer be considered light side, but is not dark side either, so going beyond the simplistic "light vs dark" dualism

I matches his character being a very effective guerrilla leader/agent while being a cruel, ruthless rear end in a top hat. "forced to use the means of the enemy" and all that

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I get there are lots of people who don't engage in inside baseball, but if you've ever heard tony gilroy talk about star wars I think you can be pretty confident he's not going to use andor to explore what it means to be a grey jedi

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This is a pointless conversation since he obviously isn't one, but also, there is no need for a word for a Force user who's an effective agent but also a cruel, ruthless rear end in a top hat, because that describes both Sith and Jedi.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Neo Rasa posted:

lmao or they give Rian Johnson a call

I can see them considering this, controversy creates buzz. The real question would be if Johnson is bored of pumping out Knives Out sequels by then

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lego StarWars Skywalker Saga is delightful. Especially after that recent viewing. Mustache twirling Palpatine is wonderful

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really hope we get a proper bounty-hunting series because Mando has gone miles from that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really hope we get a proper bounty-hunting series because Mando has gone miles from that.

They're probably not going to do a third series about a Bounty Hunter unfortunately.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's the Bounty Hunters comic series, set between ESB and RotJ, which gets into the various clans and crime families and bounty hunters in-fighting over everything

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's interesting that nintendo called samus aran a bounty hunter presumably because they were ripping off boba fett, then later learned what a bounty hunter was and wanted the character to have no association with any of that. Then that process repeated with the mandalorian, then it finally repeated with actual boba fett himself

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

It's interesting that nintendo called samus aran a bounty hunter presumably because they were ripping off boba fett, then later learned what a bounty hunter was and wanted the character to have no association with any of that. Then that process repeated with the mandalorian, then it finally repeated with actual boba fett himself

Except that those last two things aren't even close to being true.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

With Nintendo it does seem like it was a language barrier/translation error where they didn't like the mercenary/"just in it for the money" implications even if that is ultimately a result of their original game where Samus is depicted as earning bags of cash for completing her mission, with more bags the faster the completion time. The Captain N comic even ran with this interpretation, having Mother Brain try to buy Samus off, but Samus ultimately rejecting the offer after some consideration. They appear to have meant "space hunter" more as someone who exterminates big threats to the galaxy and less like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I don't think there's ever been any misunderstanding about what Jango and Boba were, they were amoral bounty hunters who did dirty jobs and served bad masters and it ultimately got both of them killed or nearly killed once it brought them into conflict with Jedi. Cad Bane even brings it up, "Boba Fett is a killer who worked for the Empire" - with the implication being "so why are any of you assholes even following him?"

And then he gets ventilated by a gaffi stick, proving that melee weapons are the bane of bounty hunters.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not denying that being a bounty hunter was a starting point for the characters, but it just seems like being protagonists of nominally broadly aimed disney+ space adventures, being a bounty hunter felt icky and their arc had to be becoming general space adventurers and/or whatever the gently caress boba in booka was supposed to be. I can't argue the point very strongly, I haven't watched the shows, just from reputation and feeling

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doesn't Mando do some bounty hunting in his Boba Fett episodes? It gets pretty violent.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1613282549870243842

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

stev posted:

Doesn't Mando do some bounty hunting in his Boba Fett episodes? It gets pretty violent.

Yes, which is why the point is weird as poo poo, because it was juxtaposed with Boba Fett goal of becoming a community leader.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gotta go full-size R2D2 or Yoda.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
They definitely tried to turn Boba into some kind of honorable space warrior who says no to drugs and works as a de facto town sheriff. Even Mando does more jobs as a kind of one man A-Team than bounty collection. He takes like two bounties in the first episode and one during BoBF.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

George Lucas

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

George Lucas' soul :twisted:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The toy rights

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

galagazombie posted:

They definitely tried to turn Boba into some kind of honorable space warrior who says no to drugs and works as a de facto town sheriff. Even Mando does more jobs as a kind of one man A-Team than bounty collection. He takes like two bounties in the first episode and one during BoBF.

You know, I just realized that the "true bounty hunter" show that I was envisioning was more like the A-Team, honestly. Mando has become weighted down under the Celebrity Guest Star Appearance style of showmaking and I hope the upcoming season breaks away from it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

Boba was basically an adult convert to space mormonism who hated drugs, hated the rebellion, and hated premarital sex, if anything BoBF is much more laid back than the old RotJ era Boba.

And Mando as you'll notice was (and is) a hardass "I can take you in warm... or cold" cold blooded killer who warms up in the presence of baby yoda, you'll notice he is at his most bounty hunting-est when grogu is absent, and when grogu is there he takes a larger variety of jobs, such as protecting the village or transporting the frog lady and her eggs that grogu keeps eating.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'll shut up about a show I basically only know a vague plot summary of after this, but I would have imagined the mandalorian is hunting bounties in booka as a sign of his backsliding into his old bad habits without his babby around. With babby restored he can resume his journey to being a boring goodguy

lol efb

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth TNT posted:

Lego StarWars Skywalker Saga is delightful. Especially after that recent viewing. Mustache twirling Palpatine is wonderful

The writers had so much fun . I cracked up pretty hard at obiwan setting up a stepladder than shouting he had the higher ground

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'll shut up about a show I basically only know a vague plot summary of after this, but I would have imagined the mandalorian is hunting bounties in booka as a sign of his backsliding into his old bad habits without his babby around. With babby restored he can resume his journey to being a boring goodguy

lol efb

This, it's why I was a little letdown when he got the new ship that's custom made to hold one pilot and one Grogu. Season 2 already had the holding back on him just cold murking people with his rifle and stuff.

His Boba episode ruled because it had violent bounty hunting among other good stuff. I loved season 2 of Mando overall though.

I hope they don't take that completely away from Mando like they how bizarrely passive Boba is in his show. But now we have the Bo Katan darksaber stuff happening so will he even have time to hunt a bounty?

Regarding Mando being a one-man A-Team, I was so hype when season 1 had Carl Weathers/etc. all working together

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 12, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

George Lucas' soul :twisted:

Bold of you to assume he didn't sell it already

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Men would rather hunt bounties than go to space therapy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Y-Wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mr Lucas, sir, I'll take the biggest star destroyer you got