Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Through all of the documentation and discussion about Biotech, I somehow had a fundamental misunderstanding about archogenes and hemogen -- based on nothing, I had been thinking that using any archogene created a regular hemogen need, rather than ... 🤷‍♂️ I guess I still don't actually know what xenogenetic combinations cause this, but at least I've figured out that the neat archogenes I've accumulated only need archite capsules to create super-colonists.

I'm glad I have an individual copy of the archite metabolism gene; I had a colonist who got a permanent gunshot injury to the brain, capping consciousness at 18% and leaving them in a permanent coma, and I threw them in a biosculptor pod to restore them to full health after 1.5 quadrums. They seemed like a great first candidate for some archogenes, and now they're scarless, unstoppable, have super-fast wound healing, and archite metabolism means they need even less food than a baseline human despite these enhancements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Lysidas posted:

Through all of the documentation and discussion about Biotech, I somehow had a fundamental misunderstanding about archogenes and hemogen -- based on nothing, I had been thinking that using any archogene created a regular hemogen need, rather than ... 🤷‍♂️ I guess I still don't actually know what xenogenetic combinations cause this, but at least I've figured out that the neat archogenes I've accumulated only need archite capsules to create super-colonists.

I'm glad I have an individual copy of the archite metabolism gene; I had a colonist who got a permanent gunshot injury to the brain, capping consciousness at 18% and leaving them in a permanent coma, and I threw them in a biosculptor pod to restore them to full health after 1.5 quadrums. They seemed like a great first candidate for some archogenes, and now they're scarless, unstoppable, have super-fast wound healing, and archite metabolism means they need even less food than a baseline human despite these enhancements.

I got deathless + low pain and non-senescent from two outlander caravans. Finally I dare use high cell instability to offset no sleep. Now I just need a mod to enable lovin' for the no sleepers.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I have a poor, useless wretch who has no real skills and is always mutating. She came to my colony from a crashed life pod and joined up literally the second the rescuer started carrying her to a medical bed.

I have her cleaning pollution, making drugs, and other minor tasks. Once my biogentics lab is up and running I'm going to see about extracting her various mutations to see what I can do with them. Never really messed with biotech so it should be educational.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Lysidas posted:

I guess I still don't actually know what xenogenetic combinations cause this,

specifically "Hemogen drain"

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Genes#Hemogen

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Caconym posted:

Now I just need a mod to enable lovin' for the no sleepers.

I do not actually condone this, but I do feel I should mention, this is a problem that would actually be fixed by genitals existing.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Dareon posted:

I do not actually condone this, but I do feel I should mention, this is a problem that would actually be fixed by genitals existing.

Genitalia were never the problem, it's knowing when and where pawns can engage in lovin'. Are they supposed to hunt each other down in the middle of the day and interrupt work? Does it make sense to walk across the entire map to get lovin'? Should they be lovin' in the middle of the dining room? How frequently should they be looking to get some lovin'? "When sharing a bed" implicitly answered most of these types of questions without any additional overhead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dareon posted:

The Love Enhancer is basically bionic genitalia, so in that sense, they do exist. But like isndl points out, that's obviously really not the problem, and it's starting to feel like "this game needs fully-functioning genitals" is just your canned solution to everything :shrug:

An actual solution would be to just make lovin' a recreation type that adult pawns can engage in if their social score with each other is high enough, then husband/wife teams with no-sleep genes just need to be put on the same recreation schedule. This also has the potential to add a lot more drama to colonies

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

it's starting to feel like "this game needs fully-functioning genitals" is just your canned solution to everything :shrug:

when you have a genital-shaped hammer...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

isndl posted:

Does it make sense to walk across the entire map to get lovin'?

BUG REPORT: my pawn spent the entire day hauling one of these across the colony

and didn't even get a hug out of it??

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I bet the only android that will get printed out of a few hundred pumpkin spice lattes will be so basic.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Asimo posted:

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to avoid winding up swastikesque with patterns like these. Fortunately there's I think four variant options to an optimal layout so you can avoid it if you place them carefully.

The central block can be arranged however. I usually do something like this but you can do two full length horizontal or vertical rows, whatever p much

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
How do I cure brain damage? I've got a raider who's been sitting around without being released for a whole year, and only just realised the reason why nobody's releasing him is because he took a charge minigun to the brain and is permanently comatose.

I know luciferium can cure scars, but I don't have any lying around or want to buy a bunch just so I can send this guy back to the waster pirates.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
can you load him into a drop pod

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tesla was right posted:

How do I cure brain damage? I've got a raider who's been sitting around without being released for a whole year, and only just realised the reason why nobody's releasing him is because he took a charge minigun to the brain and is permanently comatose.

I know luciferium can cure scars, but I don't have any lying around or want to buy a bunch just so I can send this guy back to the waster pirates.

Carry him to the edge of the map, give him a hit of go-juice, and try not to think about how he's probably going to collapse long before he gets home because he's not your problem anymore.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

can you load him into a drop pod

Yeah, that should work.

Does launching them at a friendly faction count as slavery or do I need to send them back to the waster pirates?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

draft a colonist, pick him up, and place him outside for wildlife to eat

e: zap them repeatedly with archotech wands to try and force Trauma Savant

ee: have a sanguophage inject their genes

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 12, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Set his prisoner type to hemogen farm, his food type to paste, then forget he exists

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My zombieland run came to a messy end when my mod combinations managed to break(!) areas and allowed zones, and all of my colonists went outside to do things while I was busy with a caravan, and I don't feel like reloading. God bless mods.

To that end, I have a question! Has anyone tried any of Mr Samuel Streamer's big mod packs? I'm looking at this one:

Rimworld: RPG Adventure

quote:

This is a modpack designed to move entirely away from more traditional Rimworld playthroughs. Designed as a medieval world, with more powerful weapons and technology being magic focused, the focus of this modpack is travelling, questing, and gaining resources through rewards and quests, rather than mining, drilling, or slowly accumulating them in a permanent base!

Crafting is slow and meticulous, resources are scarce and valuable, and with a caravan's limited carry capacity, emphasis is put on keeping only what you need and always searching for that next upgrade - RPG style. VE: Psycasting (and some creative renaming) represents the magic system of the world, and this is supplimented by Medieval Overhaul, RimFantasy, and a whole slew of Xenotypes as custom factions, manually named, themed, and positioned throughout the world.

And that sounds worth at least one playthrough!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

after my current run is done (god-emperor transhumanist matriarch with clones) im definitely trying something like that. always wanted to do a medieval run

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is the Zombieland mod actually good or is it just conceptually good? Also, I wonder if it'd be fun with a tribal/medieval slow playthrough

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The central block can be arranged however. I usually do something like this but you can do two full length horizontal or vertical rows, whatever p much

Is this any better than building a heated building with a sun lamp on actual soil? I always figured it wasn't and this never used hydroponics at all.

I just built unfloored buildings in this exact shape over soil.

I guess I lose a single square for the heater doing it that way. I just thought that the hydroponics yield was less than the yield for regular soil growth, which doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense; however that one square isn't going to make or break you, and the setup requires less construction and I skip having to research hydroponics altogether.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 12, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IIRC hydroponics is 2.5x faster than normal growth, and also being indoors means you don't have to worry about cold snaps, or seasons in general, or toxic fallout, or random brush fires, or wandering animals eating crops, etc, etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Is this any better than building a heated building with a sun lamp on actual soil? I always figured it wasn't and this never used hydroponics at all.

I just built unfloored buildings in this exact shape over soil.

I guess I lose a single square for the heater doing it that way. I just thought that the hydroponics yield was less than the yield for regular soil growth, which doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense; however that one square isn't going to make or break you, and the setup requires less construction and I skip having to research hydroponics altogether.

I prefer actual soil because you can grow corn and devilstrand on it, but hydroponics have insane fertility: 280%, compared to regular soil's 100%. Still, I only use hydroponics if I don't have ready access to fertile soil because I'd rather grow corn than rice. In mountain bases I'll build psychoid farms under the mountain while growing corn in heated buildings within my perimeter wall

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That map was too hot for normal plant growth, i had to build a cooled building to grow devilstrand at all, and all colonists had to wear all devilstrand everything -- full armor is death, best case for armor i could figure out was devilstrand shirts, flack pants and vests, devilstrand dusters, and marine helmets. The rice takes a lot of work but at least the overhead mountain eases the temp load enough that it grows without getting stunted or rolling brownouts. I luckily had alpacas for camelhide before the shrooms came in.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

My zombieland run came to a messy end when my mod combinations managed to break(!) areas and allowed zones, and all of my colonists went outside to do things while I was busy with a caravan, and I don't feel like reloading. God bless mods.

To that end, I have a question! Has anyone tried any of Mr Samuel Streamer's big mod packs? I'm looking at this one:

Rimworld: RPG Adventure

And that sounds worth at least one playthrough!

I've been watching his playthrough and it looks fun. I didn't go all the way but just the "all research is locked behind techprints" mod he's using completely changed my current playthrough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Xerol posted:

IIRC hydroponics is 2.5x faster than normal growth

it's 250% fertility, so potatoes won't grow 2.5x faster, due to their 70% fertility sensitivity

toxipotatoes won't grow any faster at all!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

An actual solution would be to just make lovin' a recreation type that adult pawns can engage in if their social score with each other is high enough, then husband/wife teams with no-sleep genes just need to be put on the same recreation schedule. This also has the potential to add a lot more drama to colonies

Like this mod! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2877731755

I use it, pawns hook up and hang out and it's great.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Just had one of those refugee groups with one adult taking care of 5 kids. The adult stayed and all the kids left. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Stop trying to make us laugh with you instead of at you. You’re not being “haha quirky” weird when you insist that dicks are the solution to everything, you’re being “this is uncomfortable” weird.

believe me i would know

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

Stop trying to make us laugh with you instead of at you. You’re not being “haha quirky” weird when you insist that dicks are the solution to everything, you’re being “this is uncomfortable” weird.

believe me i would know

It was more intended to make the laugh into a pitying one, a "poor, jizz-brained fool" chuckle. I've hosed up, I know I've hosed up, no more talk of genitals on these weird round nugget people from me. Not even gonna :goonsay: the minor inaccuracies my brain is screaming at me to address, I'm bludgeoning this wet lump of chemicals into a socially-acceptable shape if it kills me.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

... aaaanyway, I went with Way Better Romance, seems to do the trick.

Although the base chances for sexuality at 20% straight, 60% bi 20% gay might need some tweaking. Everyone having a chance with 80% of the population seems bit much.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eh just make everyone bisexual, the extra relationship chaos is what relationships in Rimworld are for. Makes it a little harder to get colony kids but that's what IVF is for. :hmmyes:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Please keep posting that pawn penis poo poo. What do you do with all your severed dicks, do you turn them into some kind of grass skirt?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
no, no, that's enough penis talk.

Hey guys can you recommend a mod that'll give me snake people with enormous ripe tits? For verisimilitude ofc

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Caconym posted:

... aaaanyway, I went with Way Better Romance, seems to do the trick.

Although the base chances for sexuality at 20% straight, 60% bi 20% gay might need some tweaking. Everyone having a chance with 80% of the population seems bit much.

Full disclosure, I would not advise this mod if you're doing a very difficult run. I'll tell the head cook to make food as finally the hunters brought in enough meat to feed everyone so we stop eating packaged survival meals, and whoops looks like the crafter decided to, after I had moved on to something else (expecting the cook to keep cooking), come over to ask the chef to hang out and the two of them are wandering off around the animal pens discussing robots an hour later instead of making the loving meals I told them to and only 4 meals got made.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HelloSailorSign posted:

Full disclosure, I would not advise this mod if you're doing a very difficult run. I'll tell the head cook to make food as finally the hunters brought in enough meat to feed everyone so we stop eating packaged survival meals, and whoops looks like the crafter decided to, after I had moved on to something else (expecting the cook to keep cooking), come over to ask the chef to hang out and the two of them are wandering off around the animal pens discussing robots an hour later instead of making the loving meals I told them to and only 4 meals got made.

Just draft them and undraft them and it'll cancel the recreation and they'll wander back to work.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

HelloSailorSign posted:

set their schedule to "work" instead of "anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Asimo posted:

Eh just make everyone bisexual, the extra relationship chaos is what relationships in Rimworld are for. Makes it a little harder to get colony kids but that's what IVF is for. :hmmyes:

This is the bisexual agenda at work :sueme::sickos: