Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nessus posted:

It is dismally plausible that she wouldn’t speak up until she had good friends and by then she might not have wanted to rock the boat. You’d think her little siblings would get it right tho, the little shits

Too busy being kidnapped over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Too busy being kidnapped over and over again.

I'm sure they have but I can not personally remember a time they've had a line of dialogue.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've once had misinterpret a nickname as another name and they thought that was my name and called me that for the month I lived in their house, and I just rolled with it. Someone must have told them eventually after I left because I noticed they were calling me the name people most often associate with me when I visited. I never corrected them though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know that any hierarchy among the X-Line is probably mostly imagined, but it was really weird to see what happened in regular X-Men this week VS Legion. One was sort of a relaxed character meditation and tying off a lingering storyline thread, while the other was event-level crazy poo poo

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Are all x-books wrapping up for sins of sinister and then being relaunched? Is that why so many storylines are ending this month?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Are all x-books wrapping up for sins of sinister and then being relaunched? Is that why so many storylines are ending this month?

I think it's just the ones directly tying in to SoS. So, Immortal, Legion, and Red.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nessus posted:

It is dismally plausible that she wouldn’t speak up until she had good friends and by then she might not have wanted to rock the boat. You’d think her little siblings would get it right tho, the little shits

You know, come to think of it, Karma did gently caress off for a real long time between Simonson's New Mutants and the later Abnett/Lanning run.

I always figured it was because her powers are fairly hard to write around, but it'd be funny to establish that a non-trivial factor is that nobody at Xavier's could be hosed to say her name right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanderer posted:

You know, come to think of it, Karma did gently caress off for a real long time between Simonson's New Mutants and the later Abnett/Lanning run.

I always figured it was because her powers are fairly hard to write around, but it'd be funny to establish that a non-trivial factor is that nobody at Xavier's could be hosed to say her name right.
She wasn’t very into superheroing but Reed and Chuck were dicks to her. Also the Beyonder. So who’s she gonna look up to? Spider-Man?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

And even when she's in New Mutants she's doing things like 'being possessed by the Shadow King and getting morbidly obese' and 'lost in Asgard.'

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't believe they brought back Indra. Talk about Z list.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks like the Beast stuff should wrap soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Legion seems a lot like 'okay sure yeah big things happening no one will mention' :v

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I am so confused with everything going on in Legion. I feel like there are 4 or 5 stories going on and the scope for all is massive.

We have horror secondary mutations caused by magic, whatever is going on with warlock, whatever Charles did to Legion, whatever is going in with mother righteous, and now Nimrod? Any one of these could be the main story but they just keep piling on.

I’m also not sure what the books “purpose” is. They keep mentioning finding a Justice fit for Krakoa but i haven’t really seen any of that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

They keep mentioning finding a Justice fit for Krakoa but i haven’t really seen any of that.

Agreed on this. There's been some attempt at suggesting the Pit is a bad idea and at least in the initial storyline (all I've read so far, via Unlimited), there's a sub-plot about this. But I guess I don't get the overall point given how much other stuff was going on in even that first story.

I feel like I had the same issue with Way of X, where the initial issue set something really interesting up and then things got convoluted with a bunch of unrelated issues (remember the babies just being left around Krakoa?) introduced and then ignored.

It feels like there's not an editor on this book telling Spurrier to dial it back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am legitimately curious how they'll resolve all these problems, though. it's way too much!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i am legitimately curious how they'll resolve all these problems, though. it's way too much!

Legion accepts help from Mother Righteous.

Which then ends up being a bad idea because of course Mother Righteous is the last Sinister clone.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The two main threats of the Technarch psychic attack and the magical mutations seem to be a two-pronged attack by Orchis, given that they hired Margali Szardos and Nimrod is somehow manipulating the Technarch. The problem is that it feels like neither get enough set up given how many characters and plots the comic is juggling, and despite having the same origin don't actually seem that tied together. Additionally, they are pulling the characters away from the central conceit of the book ie solving inter-Krakoan conflict without resorting to traditional policing and incarceration. Like, it's really strange that all this is happening in this book instead of X-Men, X-Force, Red, Excalibur, etc.

It feels like Spurrier has too many ideas and not enough comic, so he's just cramming them in wherever he can find space while also writing his pet characters.I agree with danbanna, there really needs to be an editor helping him focus and streamline the narrative.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope the subtle indication that x-terminators is gonna be an ongoing in this week's X-Men is true

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

site posted:

i hope the subtle indication that x-terminators is gonna be an ongoing in this week's X-Men is true

If we lived in a just timeline, it would run for ten years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Even if it doesn't become a title, I like the fact that those four are staying together to go on more crazy adventures.

But please make it ongoing.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If Fox News finds out about that last page in X-Men they will have a hissy fit

a pregnant man? The woke agenda has gone too far!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

If Fox News finds out about that last page in X-Men they will have a hissy fit

a pregnant man? The woke agenda has gone too far!

They already had a go at that with Joker from the issue the other week even though it wasn't close to the same thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:thejoke:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know people have been talking about how much of a shitheel Beast has been that it only just hit me that I'm kind of tired of stories about how "Professor Xavier IS A JERK!" Like at this rate Magneto is more of a good guy.

Like I get that he's never been a saint but I feel like people used to be happy/excited to see Charles and now every appearance has both readers and frequently characters in-comic going "What's that fucker up to now?"

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

TwoPair posted:

You know people have been talking about how much of a shitheel Beast has been that it only just hit me that I'm kind of tired of stories about how "Professor Xavier IS A JERK!" Like at this rate Magneto is more of a good guy.

Like I get that he's never been a saint but I feel like people used to be happy/excited to see Charles and now every appearance has both readers and frequently characters in-comic going "What's that fucker up to now?"

I really feel like we're due for a deeper internal look at Xavier, because I think you can play a lot of how he's been acting during the Krakoa era in particular as pretty cynical-- you almost get the sense he's deeply frustrated that Krakoa ended up being the only way, as Moira proved conclusively his way Could Not Work.

None of this has been textually referenced, though, so he's just kind of self-important and cruel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The next issue of Immortal X-Men is going to be from Xavier's POV, so I think we'll get things from that.

It was a good step in Legion of X, but yeah, I hope they move to more Xavier being a decent person and away from the Xavier sucks so much thing that's been going on a while.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the recent Infinity Comic with him getting ported to the Age of Apocalypse universe was quite good, quite illuminating. He definitely feels like Krakoa is moving on without him and is feeling lost without a real "dream" to anchor him (though he kinda gets his groove back by the end of that story)

But yeah I've been bored by "dumb Xavier being bad" takes for a while now. It feels particularly annoying when other characters, like Magneto, do a whole lot of the exact same things he does but get idolized for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
xavier has had definite ups and downs as a leader, an educator, etc. that sort of inconsistency is inevitable with decades of comics written by many different writers. but one thing that is consistent is how he's always been completely terrible as david's father.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On a positive note I like how Synch put on his gala best to go on his date with Old Laura. Maybe he'll just use that as his official look from now on? I mean he'd be, what, the third person after Jean and Storm (and maybe more? I can't remember) to start beating people up with his party clothes on, which is definitely what every X-Men should be doing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

but one thing that is consistent is how he's always been completely terrible as david's father.

I think that's part of the issue with Legion: you can't tell a Legion story reminding everyone that Xavier was a worse dad than Magneto.

And I concur that "Xavier is a Jerk!" stories are getting old. Having reread the Muir Island Saga recently, there was so much good stuff about how everyone missed him, how important he is, etc. I think a few extra decades of writers making sure everyone knew he was flawed has resulted in everyone knowing he's a piece of poo poo.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

I hope Jean stays in here gala form moving forward. The Marvel Girl costume was fine for HoX/PoX but it was outdated to use long term

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It feels like the current X-Men writers aren't doing much with Chuck, beyond occasionally calling out his hypocrisy while he's off-panel, because they don't have a good story to tell with him yet. That said, Gillen has nailed every POV character he's tackled in Immortal, so I'm sure we will get something interesting there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

danbanana posted:

I think that's part of the issue with Legion: you can't tell a Legion story reminding everyone that Xavier was a worse dad than Magneto.

And I concur that "Xavier is a Jerk!" stories are getting old. Having reread the Muir Island Saga recently, there was so much good stuff about how everyone missed him, how important he is, etc. I think a few extra decades of writers making sure everyone knew he was flawed has resulted in everyone knowing he's a piece of poo poo.

xavier the beloved saint works better for their dynamic than xavier the petty, arrogant jerk. of course the rear end in a top hat no one likes is a bad dad. that's not very interesting at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The original Kitty Pryde calling Xavier a jerk issue was funny enough not that unreasonable from Xavier's perspective.

He planned to transfer her off the X-Men and onto the New Mutants as they were closer to her age and the New Mutants were not intended to be a Hero team. Kitty managed to convince him to let her stay on, with Xavier saying he had never seen her in action before properly as being a reason he was taking her off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The original Kitty Pryde calling Xavier a jerk issue was funny enough not that unreasonable from Xavier's perspective.

He planned to transfer her off the X-Men and onto the New Mutants as they were closer to her age and the New Mutants were not intended to be a Hero team. Kitty managed to convince him to let her stay on, with Xavier saying he had never seen her in action before properly as being a reason he was taking her off.
Yeah the prospect of the mid-teens girl not being on the active war team with the 20-somethings and also Logan was actually a fair cop, even if Wolverine accepted Kitty's samurai spirit. I think the youngest other than Kitty was Piotr, and he was both 18 and literally made of steel a lot of the time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

xavier the beloved saint works better for their dynamic than xavier the petty, arrogant jerk. of course the rear end in a top hat no one likes is a bad dad. that's not very interesting at all.

I understand the need make "beloved saint" an actually interesting character but there's obviously ways to do that without making him a complete dick. It also hurts the Chuck-Mags dynamic, and maybe Magneto in general. If you make Magneto the complex "villain," and Chuck the complex "hero," that functionally moves them towards the same character. (Magneto will always be more interesting, in my opinion.)

This is why I was pretty excited about Moira as the 3rd in that relationship (or maybe 4th, if you count Apocalypse), and I'm on record saying I think Hickman might have set them up for bungling that setup.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
They took "Professor Xavier is a jerk" and made it "Professor Xavier is an rear end in a top hat."

He shouldn't be full on Machiavellian. The ends should not justify the means. Egregious violations should come from heat of the moment, do or die bad calls that he is then unable to go back on, not intricate plans thought up in advance.

He should make regular right call/wrong reason and wrong call/right reason decisions though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

They took "Professor Xavier is a jerk" and made it "Professor Xavier is an rear end in a top hat."

He shouldn't be full on Machiavellian. The ends should not justify the means. Egregious violations should come from heat of the moment, do or die bad calls that he is then unable to go back on, not intricate plans thought up in advance.

He should make regular right call/wrong reason and wrong call/right reason decisions though.

Agree with the last bit, but has he being full on Machiavellian? Granted, he kept Moira's existence secret, but he never seemed to have a long term plan beyond a vague "Don't let the machines win." His biggest sin on Krakoa, beyond his usual "terrible dad, blinded by privilege" issues has been the Pit, which he kind of just signed off on along with everyone else.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The Pit's pretty hosed up. I wonder if it was only created to kick off that Sabretooth story, or if the Sabretooth story was inspired by the creation of The Pit. It mostly rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't feel like something the X-Men would come up with. Exile from Krakoa, sure: everyone's slate got wiped clean at the beginning but if you prove you can't play nice with others why should that invitation not be revoked? I even buy them clandestinely handing Sabretooth over to the US Government to put in one of their Supervillain Megaprisons.
I dunno, maybe I'm not conceptualizing it properly. Maybe it's supposed to be less hosed up than it seems to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, weird that a governing body that included Sinister and Mystique and Apocalypse and Magneto would push such a hosed up punishment system.