Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FAUXTON posted:

there's nothing too pendantic for the pen thread

Muahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

The touchdown part refers to how the suction mechanism works, the snorkel thing is separate.

Yep that's what I had in mind. There are touchdown pens with and without snorkels, and PFMs are the former.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So grack, I've been messing around on eBay to try to get my mittens on a few vintage striped pens and decided to look at the Deltas for giggles. Those are some chonky pens! I bet you could knock somebody straight out with one of those. Also, $$$$$$ (or €€€€€€).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So grack, I've been messing around on eBay to try to get my mittens on a few vintage striped pens and decided to look at the Deltas for giggles. Those are some chonky pens! I bet you could knock somebody straight out with one of those. Also, $$$$$$ (or €€€€€€).

I use a four finger grip when I write, so larger, lighter pens are my preference.

Also yes, expensive. Very expensive, and the newer stuff seems to be pretty expensive as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You know what's a bomb rear end pen? The Pilot Custom 845. I've had mine inked with Organics Studio Walden Pond since July and every time I've reached for it, it writes with no muss or fuss. And considering how finicky that high sheen Organics Studio ink can get after it's been sitting in a pen for a while that's saying a lot.

As a counterpoint, I put Nitrogen in a Pelikan M805 at around the same time, and it takes a hell of a lot of coaxing to get that pen to write after it's been sitting for a while.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My Pilot 845 is one of my favorites for sure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My Pilot Custom 74 is the same way. Always writes, unless I've run it out of ink. Great pen that I don't use enough because it's black and I'm more of a :sparkles: person!

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Has anyone done any testing with a Pilot Varsity and using sheen/shimmer inks in them? I've refilled mine with similar color ink, since the wick feed is so difficult to get clean, but have never considered how a wick feed would do with a sheen/shimmer ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wick feeds don't really provide a lot of ink flow, so sheen/shimmering inks likely won't work well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a Sheaffer vacuum fill that needs to be fixed up. I actually got the section off this one without destroying it or anything. The lever is wrecked though. It couldn't press down on the sack without hurting itself, which is odd to be because the sac is still soft (but definitely not new). If I recall they generally have a plate the lever pressed against that then presses into the sac, and I'm guessing that's stuck. Should I just soak that awhile? When the lever and sac out, should it gently come away when pressed?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got a Sheaffer vacuum fill that needs to be fixed up. I actually got the section off this one without destroying it or anything. The lever is wrecked though. It couldn't press down on the sack without hurting itself, which is odd to be because the sac is still soft (but definitely not new). If I recall they generally have a plate the lever pressed against that then presses into the sac, and I'm guessing that's stuck. Should I just soak that awhile? When the lever and sac out, should it gently come away when pressed?

That's a lever filler, not a vacuum filler. Generally lever fillers are easier to repair, but it sounds like you have a tricky case. You shouldn't soak the barrel of a lever filler - the metal parts inside will rust. The bit that the lever pushes into the sac is the pressure bar, and it probably shouldn't come out of the barrel even with the section removed, not without a gentle tug from forceps.

The problem you're describing sounds like the lever and the pressure bar aren't in alignment, though it isn't clear what you mean by "wrecked" and "hurting itself". Maybe the existing lever and pressure bar just need to be wiggled back into place, or maybe you need to replace one or both of these parts. You might be better off sending this one to a pro?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I screwed up terms. I meant it's a lever filler. When I tested the lever, it just bent out. Now that I have it apart, I see it was rusted on the inside. The pressure bar also looks rusty. I guess it was rusted shut on to the barrel or something.

I'm getting a few of these pens with an aesthetic I like so I have already consigned myself to getting into repairing them. I have the right (or at least the common) tool for pulling the section from the barrel on these as well as a heat gun, and I got some talc recently. I'm waiting for a few more to show up before I figure out what I actually need for parts. So having the lever be bad is a new one for me but I've seen parts for them around and imagine I can replace it. I never looked up about the pressure bar though.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I screwed up terms. I meant it's a lever filler. When I tested the lever, it just bent out. Now that I have it apart, I see it was rusted on the inside. The pressure bar also looks rusty. I guess it was rusted shut on to the barrel or something.

I'm getting a few of these pens with an aesthetic I like so I have already consigned myself to getting into repairing them. I have the right (or at least the common) tool for pulling the section from the barrel on these as well as a heat gun, and I got some talc recently. I'm waiting for a few more to show up before I figure out what I actually need for parts. So having the lever be bad is a new one for me but I've seen parts for them around and imagine I can replace it. I never looked up about the pressure bar though.

Good luck! Lever replacement is not impossible but it's likely to be tricky, and parts are uncommon. You should work on some lower-hanging fruit first. Lots of lever fillers in the wild just need a new sac, and that's a great way to start with pen repairs. Replacing a pressure bar, depending on the type of pen, can also be relatively easy if the lever is still intact. Importantly, you can still easily buy new sacs and pressure bars, which isn't the case for most other pen parts. Hopefully some of your incoming purchases are the easy to fix kind!

Come to think of it, I recently resacced some stripey Sheaffers. They fill and write, but are a little finicky and could use some tinkering and adjustment. If you (or anyone else) are interested I could dig them out, take a couple photos, and let them go for cheap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I might but let me see if I can even get a pen to that finicky point myself before I starting trying to tune anything.

What even got me into this in the first place was a cheap flex nib lever filler I got a few years ago. It was supposed to have been refurbished, but it vomited out a bunch of ink towards the end of its fill (I am assuming). I had asked around about it and the consensus was that the sac either had a hole or otherwise wasn't sealed correctly. So I got the tools to take it apart, but it look like whoever did it crazy glued it or similar because it just wouldn't come off. I ended up breaking it the other day because the pen's been out of commission this whole time, wasn't too expensive, and might as well be my dope fee. With that experience in mind, this one I just got came apart comparatively easily, but now I'm dealing with other parts of the pen I didn't expect.

Five years from now, I'll have 20 drawers each dedicated to a different sac size and one of those garage plastic mini bin organizers for miscellaneous parts. Oh, and 1.5 working pens.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I might but let me see if I can even get a pen to that finicky point myself before I starting trying to tune anything.

What even got me into this in the first place was a cheap flex nib lever filler I got a few years ago. It was supposed to have been refurbished, but it vomited out a bunch of ink towards the end of its fill (I am assuming). I had asked around about it and the consensus was that the sac either had a hole or otherwise wasn't sealed correctly. So I got the tools to take it apart, but it look like whoever did it crazy glued it or similar because it just wouldn't come off. I ended up breaking it the other day because the pen's been out of commission this whole time, wasn't too expensive, and might as well be my dope fee. With that experience in mind, this one I just got came apart comparatively easily, but now I'm dealing with other parts of the pen I didn't expect.

Five years from now, I'll have 20 drawers each dedicated to a different sac size and one of those garage plastic mini bin organizers for miscellaneous parts. Oh, and 1.5 working pens.

:bisonyes:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Contemplating spending €240 on a few nibs, including an 18K, to gain a few percentage more joy from pens I already own, like how they look but write terrible (Narwhal, duh).

I mean, both of these deserve to write well, am i right?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Finally, a pen that's also a watch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I GOT ONE I GOT ONE I GOT ONE

FINALLY. Got a Delta Dolcevita Oversized. I am so loving happy. Wanted one of these for a few years, but they were always way more than I was willing to pay. One of my local club members had two and sold me this one for a pretty reasonable price.

I'm so happy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh, I might have a lever fill here from an eBay purchase that's perfectly fine. I guess I should feed it some Bay State Blue and really see.

(no, I'm not going to do that).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should feed it some Bay State Blue and really see.

Post some pics and a writing test please! I'd like to see how well an old writing instrument holds up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'll be working on that over the weekend. One of the other pens turned out to be a Sheaffer Touchdown and that hosed with my head. The stripey lever filler seems to be holding up. It's a finer nib than I expected, so the green I put it in comes up very light.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll be working on that over the weekend. One of the other pens turned out to be a Sheaffer Touchdown and that hosed with my head. The stripey lever filler seems to be holding up. It's a finer nib than I expected, so the green I put it in comes up very light.

ooh!

:f5:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Here's the pen getting filled. You pop out the lever, which presses the lever against pressure bar that squishes the sac inside. Then you insert it into the ink, and push the lever back. That causes the sac to expand and suck in the ink.

Here with a Sheaffer 440 that was included, which has turned out to be a really nice writer.

I still generally like chunkier pens but these are pretty cool.

Now, does anybody have opinions on black inks? I had some Noodler's Borealis Black I gave to my mom and she hissed at me when I tried to take it back. I am looking for something that is pretty saturated but dries quickly. Borealis Black was pretty good for that, but I see no reason to note screw around some more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Here's the pen getting filled. You pop out the lever, which presses the lever against pressure bar that squishes the sac inside. Then you insert it into the ink, and push the lever back. That causes the sac to expand and suck in the ink.

Here with a Sheaffer 440 that was included, which has turned out to be a really nice writer.

I still generally like chunkier pens but these are pretty cool.

Now, does anybody have opinions on black inks? I had some Noodler's Borealis Black I gave to my mom and she hissed at me when I tried to take it back. I am looking for something that is pretty saturated but dries quickly. Borealis Black was pretty good for that, but I see no reason to note screw around some more.

:swoon:

Thank you! Although it isn't baystate blue...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't have any robert oster inks. What's the name of the green ink?

EDIT: Is it the Evergreen?

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 16, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Robert Oster Green Green.

The blue isn't BSB. I got some Nagasawa Kobe-something-or-another that I liked so I wouldn't need to acetone my vinyl composite floor tiles when the ink hits it like BSB.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Robert Oster Green Green.

The blue isn't BSB. I got some Nagasawa Kobe-something-or-another that I liked so I wouldn't need to acetone my vinyl composite floor tiles when the ink hits it like BSB.

Thank you!

Gonna put the green green on my wishlist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can confirm; Green Green is indeed very green.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Your poetry is of the finest quality. :discourse:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you like Borealis Black then try its inspiration, Aurora Black. Other good black inks are DeAtramentis Document Black and Platinum Carbon, plus a poo poo ton of Noodlers options.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Seconding the recommendation for Aurora Black. Really nice, saturated black ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alrighty, pen #2 for January

This is our local club pen, made by Leonardo Officina

It's a Furore model, using the Poseidan Mosaico resin. It's a cut and stacked acrylic with multiple different cut patterns. Very pretty

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I am evidently extremely basic, but what I use for plain old black is a bottle of Parker Quink. It seems to be ok?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grack posted:

Alrighty, pen #2 for January

This is our local club pen, made by Leonardo Officina

It's a Furore model, using the Poseidan Mosaico resin. It's a cut and stacked acrylic with multiple different cut patterns. Very pretty

oh that thing is suuuper super sexy.

talks to self: I do NOT need new pens

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

tater_salad posted:

oh that thing is suuuper super sexy.

talks to self: I do NOT need new pens

You do not NEED new pens. However...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just bought myself a new toy.. I can't do another pen.. I mean I can but it will result in more questions being asked about where the pretzel moneys have gone.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tater_salad posted:

I just bought myself a new toy.. I can't do another pen.. I mean I can but it will result in more questions being asked about where the pretzel moneys have gone.

Into pretzels, which you ate?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah that's a nice pen.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

howe_sam posted:

If you like Borealis Black then try its inspiration, Aurora Black. Other good black inks are DeAtramentis Document Black and Platinum Carbon, plus a poo poo ton of Noodlers options.

My default right now would be to get Heart of Darkness. I did see Aurora Black, but it looks like it dries slowly. I had particularly looked at this comparison:

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-Best-Black-Fountain-Pen-Inks/pt/20

Document Black doesn't show up but they did go over Platinum Carbon. My fear of Platinum Carbon in particular is it apparently likes to gum up pens. Here I am, thinking about a Noodler's ink, and I'm worrying about that so maybe it's not so high of a priority.

I'm likely going to use this black in a daily carry on all kinds of non-standard paper and I hope I can do it with a faster dry time while still having an intense black.

In other news, I am also looking into blue blacks. My first pick was Robert Oster's Blue Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My default right now would be to get Heart of Darkness. I did see Aurora Black, but it looks like it dries slowly. I had particularly looked at this comparison:

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-Best-Black-Fountain-Pen-Inks/pt/20

Document Black doesn't show up but they did go over Platinum Carbon. My fear of Platinum Carbon in particular is it apparently likes to gum up pens. Here I am, thinking about a Noodler's ink, and I'm worrying about that so maybe it's not so high of a priority.

I'm likely going to use this black in a daily carry on all kinds of non-standard paper and I hope I can do it with a faster dry time while still having an intense black.

In other news, I am also looking into blue blacks. My first pick was Robert Oster's Blue Night.

Black: Iroshizuku take-sumi (Carbon Black is a good second but slow drying and not suitable for all paper. It never clogged up my pen that it is in for about three years now)
Blue-black: Iroshizuku shin-kai