Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'll admit the Peppermint Patty joke gave me a chuckle and I can see spots where they almost had good ideas but yeah this is probably going to not be remotely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

One thing I don’t follow is that they made a whole thing about changing the races of some of the characters, with VAs to match, but Daphne remains the same while being played by Constance Wu. I don’t have a problem with this in either direction or frankly care but it seems an odd diversion from the rest of the casting (as best I can tell).

Anyway, Weird Al is apparently in it so there’s at least that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

One thing I don’t follow is that they made a whole thing about changing the races of some of the characters, with VAs to match, but Daphne remains the same while being played by Constance Wu. I don’t have a problem with this in either direction or frankly care but it seems an odd diversion from the rest of the casting (as best I can tell).

Anyway, Weird Al is apparently in it so there’s at least that.

I thought they changed the races of the characters to match the VAs, not the other way around. And Daphne does look a little Asian, just light-skinned Asian. Is the character actually white?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought they changed the races of the characters to match the VAs, not the other way around. And Daphne does look a little Asian, just light-skinned Asian. Is the character actually white?

She is Asian. They make sure to announce it and point out the race switching the first time she appears so nobody gets confused.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

J-Spot posted:

She is Asian. They make sure to announce it and point out the race switching the first time she appears so nobody gets confused.

I guess people don't really associate red hair with Asian people. But looking it up that actually does happen, if really rarely compared to Irish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess people don't really associate red hair with Asian people. But looking it up that actually does happen, if really rarely compared to Irish.

Or she dyed it.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
The Velma show has gorgeous animation but the writing is boring. It's not like anything in it is offensive or shocking, they're just determined to undercut the story they try to tell and then explain every joke. I hope it finds its legs but the first two episodes were a snooze. Kaling did such a good job with teen characters in Never Have I Ever but I have no idea what happened with this one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1613405662872047617

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First two Velma shows were soooooo actively unfunny oh my god. I was rooting for it but the writing is awful and a waste of the cast and nice visual style

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

J-Spot posted:

Wait what? Seriously? That’s hilarious

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1613623365243125760?s=20&t=rxvxqAb_dd9bcYq9Y-kH1w

Justin Roiland is in a pickle

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Least surprising news, I'm more shocked it took that long

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jesus, this is no good.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Least surprising news, I'm more shocked it took that long

https://twitter.com/KevinTPorter/status/1007677055645855744?s=20&t=rxvxqAb_dd9bcYq9Y-kH1w

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do act smug about hating Ren and Stimpy after it turned out John K was awful, but Justin Roiland I think was already on record for being hard to work with and having some issues unrelated to all the edgey content he produces.

I Am Fowl posted:

Jesus, this is no good.

Wow, that is...impressively bad. Both dissing the "me too" movement and also not really being an actual joke format worth a drat, just throwing out a reference.

I don't want to watch the actual show to check or contextualize anything, but it is also possible that they intend Velma to be bad and wrong. Like the trailer in which they use Velma as a strawman for all their expected complaints about their show and then murder her brutally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

Edgelords gotta edgelord I guess.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Where’s the dog? The one that goes “ruh roh Raggy!” and stuff. He’s funny. They should make a show about him

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CharlestonJew posted:

Where’s the dog? The one that goes “ruh roh Raggy!” and stuff. He’s funny. They should make a show about him

It’s weird that they literally had a show called “Scooby Doo Where Are You?” and Scooby Doo was right there, yet in THIS show, he’s nowhere to be seen!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I Am Fowl posted:

Jesus, this is no good.

Got the whole squad laughing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I Am Fowl posted:

Jesus, this is no good.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wow, that is...impressively bad. Both dissing the "me too" movement and also not really being an actual joke format worth a drat, just throwing out a reference.

This is uncomfortably Peter Griffin-esque. I can't even imagine Mindy Kaling saying that.

CharlestonJew posted:

Well, it would be "ruh roh Rorville" in this context.

edit: God drat it, my curiosity overcame me and I watched the trailer, and holy poo poo this is complete garbage. It doesn't even come across as tongue-in-cheek or anything -- just whiny, self-important, and utterly self-UNaware.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 12, 2023

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lmao what a oval office (allegedly)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Mindy Kaling needs to be tried in an international tribunal for this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: God drat it, my curiosity overcame me and I watched the trailer, and holy poo poo this is complete garbage. It doesn't even come across as tongue-in-cheek or anything -- just whiny, self-important, and utterly self-UNaware.

So like every other Mindy Kahling show

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am sorta shocked it wasnt harmond first but yeah, not a big surprise. sucks i thought he could be funny, though hendel and cusack do his poo poo much much better.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do act smug about hating Ren and Stimpy after it turned out John K was awful, but Justin Roiland I think was already on record for being hard to work with and having some issues unrelated to all the edgey content he produces.

I don't want to watch the actual show to check or contextualize anything, but it is also possible that they intend Velma to be bad and wrong. Like the trailer in which they use Velma as a strawman for all their expected complaints about their show and then murder her brutally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

Edgelords gotta edgelord I guess.

its the trying to have it both ways thing, trying to be super duper loving edgy but also "look guys we are super progressive and woke and have important poo poo to say" except they dont have the writing or character likability to do both. that way they have "cover" when it gets poo poo on by critics because they will just point to the chuds or some rando online types and say "it was the mean trumpists online types who said it was bad".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'd be nice if they went for sincerity over sarcasm.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorta shocked it wasnt harmond first

honestly I don't think Harmon has any monsters in his closet. He might be a jerk but as far as I've known he's been pretty open about being the reason his marriage fell apart

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mutantIke posted:

honestly I don't think Harmon has any monsters in his closet. He might be a jerk but as far as I've known he's been pretty open about being the reason his marriage fell apart

honestly good point. now i just hope cusack and hendel end up being not insane monsters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as I can tell with Zach Hadel from videos with Chris O'Neill he's got an extremely crass sense of humour but otherwise isn't an actively hateful person or a sexpest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

As far as I can tell with Zach Hadel from videos with Chris O'Neill he's got an extremely crass sense of humour but otherwise isn't an actively hateful person or a sexpest.

yeah, i think chris has issues mostly with being a dude who never grew out of the various online communities and has said dumb gross poo poo and etc but hadel seems fine so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i think chris has issues mostly with being a dude who never grew out of the various online communities and has said dumb gross poo poo and etc but hadel seems fine so far.

They're both Newgrounds alumni and that's something you either grow out of or you don't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

Working on the good parts of The Office can apparently take you far.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CharlestonJew posted:

I've only ever seen her on The Office, and wtf she wrote "The Injury"???? How could someone who wrote "The Injury" write this too? :psyboom:

Arc Hammer posted:

It'd be nice if they went for sincerity over sarcasm.

It would be nice if they went for humor over non-humor

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Mindy Kaling is a hack

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/mindy-kalingthe-office-inappropriate-characters-canceled-1235451403/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I believe the response should be "Ah, geez"

I mean she's not wrong in that case? I haven't seen every episode of The Office but I've seen probably about a season or two all added up and the characters would not be okay through a 2023 lens. Half the episodes would have Twitter all racing to post how [x] character doing something is Not Okay.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 13, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Saw the first two episodes of Velma. I did not hate it. If nothing else, the voices are good. Howerton seems to have fun playing Fred.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

quote:

and honestly what offends people has changed so much now. I think that actually is one of the reasons the show is popular, because people feel like there’s something kind of fearless about it or taboo that it talks about on the show.”

Like what. What exactly did the Office do that is so "offensive" you couldn't do now and made the show seem "fearless". What would the characters be getting "cancelled" over? I'm so tired of people going YOU COULDN'T MAKE THAT SHOW TODAY. gently caress you.

Like literally the only thing I can think of is that I think people tend to take Angela's side now with regards to the plot point where Dwight causes her cat to die and she breaks up with him because of it. They kind of play it off as a joke because lol Angela is the crazy cat lady. And I think most people just kind of nodded along at that, but as time goes on the more I was was on Angela's side especially with me having a cat and knowing someone who has a diabetic cat.

TwoPair posted:

I mean she's not wrong in that case? I haven't seen every episode of The Office but I've seen probably about a season or two all added up and the characters would not be okay through a 2023 lens. Half the episodes would have Twitter all racing to post how [x] character doing something is Not Okay.

I really don't think there's anything in The Office that wouldn't fly today. Shows are getting made all the time now that if they were released 10 years ago people would be saying "you can't make that today!"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

quote:

I think [Kelly Kapoor] would have quit Dunder Mifflin to become an influencer, and then probably be canceled, almost immediately.

This seems accurate, and it also seems like it would be extremely funny, but as far as the other stuff she said goes, eeeeehhh.

edit:

Macaluso posted:

Like literally the only thing I can think of is that I think people tend to take Angela's side now with regards to the plot point where Dwight causes her cat to die and she breaks up with him because of it. They kind of play it off as a joke because lol Angela is the crazy cat lady. And I think most people just kind of nodded along at that, but as time goes on the more I was was on Angela's side especially with me having a cat and knowing someone who has a diabetic cat.

I didn't realize people didn't always take Angela's side. For gently caress's sake, Dwight put her LIVE PET in a freezer for it to slowly suffocate & freeze to death -- frankly, I'm shocked she ever even became FWBs with him again.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 13, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kate miccuci's in everything now but shes such a good loving velma voice. It's the role she was born to play.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Zach Hadel is the purest being in this dark world and has never done a wrong.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

grate deceiver posted:

Zach Hadel is the purest being in this dark world and has never done a wrong.

Zach Hadel has the absolute best Trump impression I've ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePv99VANjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Remember when Mindy Kaling liked a JKR tweet about her transphobia?

https://www.intomore.com/the-internet/mindy-kaling-like-jk-rowling-tweet/