Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Seymour Duncan PR voice: it's actually JAZZ BLUES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Right now I'm working on a bass tone that can take out both Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood.

idk who ronnie wood is but PLEASE take out rod stewart im begging

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Goddamn kids these days don't know how to ask jeeves a thing; he played with Jeff Beck (along with Rod the Bod) and later in the Faces (also with RoStew) and then much later in some band called the rolling stones

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nvm stupid

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Goddamn kids these days don't know how to ask jeeves a thing; he played with Jeff Beck (along with Rod the Bod) and later in the Faces (also with RoStew) and then much later in some band called the rolling stones

i did not know the name of anyone in the rolling stones until now. have you heard of modern baseball? theyre really good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Modern Baseball is dad music now

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh is that Sammy Hagar's new band?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm really into Duane Allman right now and I just realized he played the guitar on Aretha's cover of "The Weight". This is also how I found out that Weezer also covered this song on the Red Album. Curse you, Weezer! :bahgawd:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

i transitioned so that when i become a parent, i don't instantly stop liking all the music i do, and instead only listen to pearl jam

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but then you gotta wear those ugly jeans and listen to John Mayer (apologies to Quizzlefish)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Spanish Manlove posted:

The War on Drugs is unironically considered dad music now, but also they have a big boomer following, kinda like how Dire Straights’ stuff sounds older than it really is

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was revisiting some punk songs I listened to a lot when I was a teenager to get some songwriting ideas. It didn't really hit me until just now but this came out 25 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inCYhakQkvk

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah, 88FL is the shiiiit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hell yeah, 88FL is the shiiiit

When I was going back and learning that song I realized that at 0:38 there's a first inversion dmaj3 chord that is totally not a common thing for punk, which then let me figure out that they're using 3rds instead of power chords for parts of the chorus on this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hl5iivw64

Also that the main verse riff of this song is literally just the pipeline riff but in A and sped up, along with a very diatonic bunch of 3rds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RNw0AMNr0

And that most of the songs are all using very Metal chord progressions that I would have never been able to figure out by ear at 14 but after years of learning melodeath it all just clicks instantly.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

rip to mr beck

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

muike posted:

Seymour Duncan PR voice: it's actually JAZZ BLUES!!!

Does this make my JB more valuable?

RIP Mr. Beck though.

landgrabber posted:

i did not know the name of anyone in the rolling stones until now. have you heard of modern baseball? theyre really good

I hope this is not sarcasm, it’s great.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 12, 2023

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got my Firefly Jazzmaster Baritone yesterday and it's pretty much just the SubZero Rogue VI with a regular Strat-type hardtail bridge. It also comes with 12-52 strings on a 30" scale. It's okay for A Standard, but a little stiff. B standard I think is gonna be not very playable. So I think I'll be moving the Firefly up a bit in size.

And Amazon lost the strings I bought for the Squier Custom Tele Baritone I also just bought. Somehow disappeared after being pulled from the shelf but before they were even picked up by USPS.

That makes three Baritones, and I still kinda want to get the Firefly Tele Baritone.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tone master report 2:
about every 2 hours i learn some new basic thing about vintage amps / twin reverbs i either forgot or never learned because i never had time or volume allowable space to mess with them

for instance i just learned if you leave one of the clean inputs at 10 and switch to vibrato there will be noise from the other channel still being at 10 and you might not figure it out for a few days why your amp seems noisier

other basic thing ive learned: the 2nd input lowers the channel gain by -6db and will make you think your vintera pickups are even more broken for a few days

another thing: is the fender magic 6 for single coils real? I don't know about all of that (google fender magic 6 for insane boomer rants).. but it seems to work pretty dang well with the tone master which is funny, at least as a starting point, I think mostly just turning the bass knob down a lot really helps reduce volume while improving keeping the sound nice

I really can't freaking tell its not a tube amp. Tube amps are dead

Also Behringer pedals are good as hell but i crave more pedals..

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

Does this make my JB more valuable?

RIP Mr. Beck though.

I hope this is not sarcasm, it’s great.

i actually did not know the name of any stones members, but i knew what i was doing by posting that :p

my parents didn't really listen to any of their parents' music-- and my oldest parent was born in 1970. so anything before then, i never had any exposure to, unless it was my dad making fun of bands that came out of the 60s, or me getting onto the internet and people telling me that i liked fuckin pop music for PUSSIES and i should be listening to the beatles instead, i didn't get exposed to any of it

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have an old Ibanez GAX70 that I bought like 20 years ago. I pulled it out of storage last week and am just starting to learn some chords on it and play a little everyday. My big dumb old hands are having a pretty hard time dealing with the neck on this thing. Does this have an appreciably smaller/thinner neck than other electrics, or should I just keep practicing on it until my hands are stronger/more comfortable?

I'm trying to focus on the playing and less on the gear, so i'm hoping I just need to toughen up and slog through the first few weeks of getting my hands used to guitaring.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

time for my bi-annual instance of Actually Posting A Little Bit of Music:

i was able to get a tone i like a lot out of the plumes -> the RAT. what i kind of started doing was i realized that the plumes can really brighten stuff, and with the humbucker being kinda dark and the RAT filter being dark (and the high end fizz of a RAT being not super desirable all the time) that really helps.

this isn't EQ'd and was just recorded with one AT2020 trained on my amp (very dark sounding), but the tone is one i like.

https://vocaroo.com/18ffqBETLEZy

and you can hear some of the sort of playing i do.

i would very much like an amp with more presence, the hot rods are really dark... but i'm real poor atm so that's probably not happening soon.

That kinda reminds me of Five-Eight, who I think are from Athens, Georgia and could've, but didn't hit it big in the 90's.

You can probably find their 1994 album Weirdo on YouTube, which I think is their best stuff.

The single, Karaoke, is one of my favourite songs ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJ8vJl-a7Y

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

frogbs posted:

So I have an old Ibanez GAX70 that I bought like 20 years ago. I pulled it out of storage last week and am just starting to learn some chords on it and play a little everyday. My big dumb old hands are having a pretty hard time dealing with the neck on this thing. Does this have an appreciably smaller/thinner neck than other electrics, or should I just keep practicing on it until my hands are stronger/more comfortable?

I'm trying to focus on the playing and less on the gear, so i'm hoping I just need to toughen up and slog through the first few weeks of getting my hands used to guitaring.

I’d start with a setup if you haven’t done that already. A fresh set of strings (I’d say 9’s probably) and some adjustments could be all you really need. While you’re at the store you could check out some other guitars too.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but then you gotta wear those ugly jeans and listen to John Mayer (apologies to Quizzlefish)

*Looks down at his beat up jeans* :smith:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
How good or bad an idea is buying a guitar kit? Found a stunning looking spalted maple-veneered SG that i think would look incredible when polished up.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I don't see what could be bad about it, if you have the money to spare and open eyes about what the project entails.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Pondex posted:

I don't see what could be bad about it, if you have the money to spare and open eyes about what the project entails.

Just that the quality of components might be bad and that spending a bit more on an off the shelf guitar might be a better idea.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lungboy posted:

Just that the quality of components might be bad and that spending a bit more on an off the shelf guitar might be a better idea.

That kind of depends of the quality of the kit, but some new tuners are generally a good idea from what I hear. Something like a used squier will probably have a much better resale-value. But Otoh it wont be a guitar you put together yourself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lungboy posted:

Like all DIY things, you don't buy a guitar kit to save money. You build a guitar kit because you like the hobby of building guitars. If the end goal is acquiring a guitar and not having a lot of fun making the guitar, then don't do it.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

widefault posted:

three Baritones

love it

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

frogbs posted:

Just hang in there. Those do have a shorter scale (24 3/4 vs 25.5 on a fender) and relatively slim necks, but that makes the guitar easier to play, not harder. tbh big paws are a huge advantage so just keep truckin' man

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The only thing keeping me from a guitar kit is knowing from 3 years in cub scouts that I don't like/am bad at sanding and painting things to not look like crap. If i get the itch to tinker, I'd probably do a pickup/hardware swap on an already finished guitar/body.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like all DIY things, you don't buy a guitar kit to save money. You build a guitar kit because you like the hobby of building guitars. If the end goal is acquiring a guitar and not having a lot of fun making the guitar, then don't do it.

it would be my first go but i love woodwork and having a guitar i built myself is the goal. It would be naturally finished with french polishing.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I settled on giving a little relief to my Tele neck as it seems a bit too flat from what I can gather. God, I'm loving terrified.

Just to check - a "quarter turn" means 90 degrees? Or is it a quarter of that? I assumed tye latter, but might have been too subtle with the adjustments.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 12, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is what I’d name an American Football cover band if I was in one so it checks out.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

I settled on giving a little relief to my Tele neck as it seems a bit too flat from what I can gather. God, I'm loving terrified.

Just to check - a "quarter turn" means 90 degrees? Or is it a quarter of that? I assumed tye latter, but might have been too subtle with the adjustments.

I’ve always took that to mean 90 degrees.

Edit: also unless you really tighten it a bunch I think it’s harder to mess up than you think, especially if it’s a newer guitar.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

frogbs posted:

I dont think there's ever been a person who started playing guitar and didn't at some point think that their hands are too big/too small/too weird or wondered if there was something wrong with their instrument. Its a really normal feeling because making your hands do guitar things is awkward and unnatural feeling until you get used to it. Theres nothing wrong with your hands and plenty of people with big mitts play perfectly well. The guitar might need a set up, though, especially if its been in storage for a while. If youve got a friend who plays, maybe show it to them, or run it into a reputable guitar shop and have them give it a once over

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, 90 degrees. Necks are strong, you won't mess anything up that you can't turn back if you just do small adjustments like that and give it time to settle.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Until you have an idea of how the neck is responding I like to start with only 1/8 turns or 45 degrees.

I’m not saying you’ll break it doing 90 degrees. The trouble usually starts when you crank the first turn and think nothing is happening and then start cranking on it more and more. So usually not 90 but half to full to multiple turns of the rod. Do not do that.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 12, 2023

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Go 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn at a time, retune and recheck, and then make more adjustments and repeat until it's good. Sometimes the teeniest adjustment will do it, sometimes its a big un

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Thanks - I have more than one guitar, so I'm happy to do micro adjustments, let it settle, and see if I can get there over a few days while I practice and play on another guitar. If I get nowhere, I can take it to my local luthier, but I saw them a few weeks ago for fretwork on my Strat - that coupled with replacing my boiler means I'm not relishing the idea of splashing out if I can conceivably have a go myself with little risk