Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the blockade would be to kill the population's will to resist, not to make sure the tanks and APCs run dry. they don't want to have to take cities militarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Ukraine at least is a breadbasket and can get fuel and supplies to equip its military, Taiwan would be completely cut off. It would be in a far worse position, it wouldn’t be sustainable.

The USN basically has to take the entire combined might of the PLA in its own backyard.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

the blockade would be to kill the population's will to resist, not to make sure the tanks and APCs run dry. they don't want to have to take cities militarily

as a strategy that has a pretty pathetic track record, historically

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
causing widespread civilian misery and uniting the population against their interests is a pretty american move so i'm pretty sure china's not going to do it, thankfully

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well yeah, any military solution to reunification has a pretty terrible prognosis in the short and medium term. it's why China would rather wait it out and why the US doesn't want to let them

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Given China's large diesel electric submarine fleet I'm guessing any 'successful ' plan the USA has cooked up involves a reliance on ground based air.

indigi posted:

"hundreds of aircraft" would be existentially devastating to US force projection especially considering half our fifth generation fleet is grounded at any given time

The airforce has over 5000 aircraft. The navy has over 1500. That "hundreds of aircraft" is presumably not all fighters.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hmm if only there was a way to guarantee Taipei fights a lost war essentially on the US’ behalf, at the cost of the destruction of their nation… if only there were freedom loving people with English signs and an iconic colour to demand a change in government in Taiwan…

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weka posted:

Given China's large diesel electric submarine fleet I'm guessing any 'successful ' plan the USA has cooked up involves a reliance on ground based air.

The airforce has over 5000 aircraft. The navy has over 1500. That "hundreds of aircraft" is presumably not all fighters.

a bunch of the projected aircraft losses are just the expected attrition from that many V-22 Osprey sorties

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i think it's cool to fashion your wargames around the premise that you are going to win

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Egg Moron posted:

i think it's cool to fashion your wargames around the premise that you are going to win

At RIMPAC one year Canadian troops did an opposed beach landing on American LCAC and lol alright, sure, that's what's going to happen. Not the port of Victoria getting put out of action on the day the war starts or God knows what else.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

nah the US navy still real loving big

those casualties would absolutely be crippling to the pacific fleet and take decades to replace, of course

If they would be replaced. Assuming the US doesn't deicde to end the world through nuclear hell fire after being embarrassed like that the US grip on world affairs is broken as ships and planes from other regions have to be shifted around to cover the gap in the pacific which only makes the US weaker over all.

You'd think in a sane a society that would lead to some reforms or at attempt to rachet down the tension, but if Empires were capbale of that self reflection they wouldn't fall apart in the first place

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The issue with that is American air bases would also be targeted and China has AD platforms that cover all of Taiwan. Basically, the USAF has to chew through the entire Chinese military. Stealth may not be a factor as well since Beijing has been investing data linked high intensity radar drones and other systems to make sure they have a 3d map of the battle space.

China still doesn’t want to get into a war if they can help it but I don’t think they are going to play the fool like a certain other country. (Also, the polls for the greens seem to be rather soft.)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The American public would lose their goddamn minds and demand nuclear war after the first carrier sunk imo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The American public would lose their goddamn minds and demand nuclear war after the first carrier sunk imo

good thing no one in power cares what the American public thinks

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't think the american public cares about taiwan or china at all beyond having an enemy to hate and they also don't go crazy for wars where the enemy can fight back. They love cold wars, proxy wars, and committing genocide against what they perceive as defenseless countries but I don't think they're clamoring to get nuked. The media would be begging for armageddon, though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hatebag posted:

I don't think the american public cares about taiwan or china at all beyond having an enemy to hate and they also don't go crazy for wars where the enemy can fight back. They love cold wars, proxy wars, and committing genocide against what they perceive as defenseless countries but I don't think they're clamoring to get nuked. The media would be begging for armageddon, though

Does the American public understand that other countries can nuke them back though?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Does the American public understand that other countries can nuke them back though?

extremely no

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

genericnick posted:

Idk, they might think the chinese nukes are made of cardboard or that a bucket of cheesy broccoli will see them through the apocalypse. There's no telling with these fuckers

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

genericnick posted:

Does the American public understand other countries?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

genericnick posted:

Does the American public understand?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

genericnick posted:

Going by the response of so many Liberals clamoring for war with Russia, they honestly think America is histories protagonist and that somehow in the event of nuclear war we will be fine and only our enemies turned to ash and shadow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

The same media that tells them fighting wars is the best also tells them that other countries' nukes don't work and a little nuclear war would actually be fine and good

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

My thinking goes (roughly) like this:

The American response to mass casualties since at least 1991 has been to freak the gently caress out and demand some kind of massive retribution. A handful of Americans were killed in Mogadishu and the Americans killed at least 1000 Somalis in the Mogadishu Mile, and remember that the public demanded that they do more. Some contractors were killed in Fallujah, and they sent in the Marines, when the Marines took casualties, they just flattened the city. Against a peer, my concern is that that impulse still exists.

Well, if America is getting punched around in a conventional war, how do they disproportionately "punish" the enemy for their temerity? The Nimitz Class Carriers have a crew of what, 5000 people? So, the loss of two of those would be ten thousand Americans killed in a day. Incidentally, this is why I think any proposal to play games like send the 101st to Odessa if the Russias break through is reckless in the extreme. America, and this might be me stereotyping, does not "take it on the chin" very well. So far, they haven't really had to. The Marines absolutely destroyed Hue after Tet, for example. Whatever the upset or setback is, the Americans have, to date, been able to pile on more firepower, both to restore the military situation and imo placate the public. In a war with China, this option does not really exist short of nuclear weapons and I can't see the American public quietly accepting tens of thousands of casualties to maintain the status quo, with China "unpunished".

In a more historical sense, Great Powers in the Victorian period responded to any embarrassment with incredible bloodletting. The harrowing of the Indian countryside after the Sepoy Mutiny, the burning of the Winter Palace after the Second Opium War, ravaging China after the Boxer Rebellion, the destruction of Tibetan monasteries during the Tibet expedition, the fighting in the Sudan after the murder of Gordon, I could go on.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Jan 12, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Don't forget that the British reaction to losing the first Afghan war was to march back to Kabul, burning everything in the path, dynamite half the city, and then gently caress off back to India to let their puppet get murdered

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Some contractors were killed in Fallujah, and they sent in the Marines, when the Marines took casualties, they just flattened the city.

they're gonna name a Navy ship over this poo poo!!!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we shoulda nuked Grenada

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The issue with that is American air bases would also be targeted and China has AD platforms that cover all of Taiwan. Basically, the USAF has to chew through the entire Chinese military. Stealth may not be a factor as well since Beijing has been investing data linked high intensity radar drones and other systems to make sure they have a 3d map of the battle space.

China still doesn’t want to get into a war if they can help it but I don’t think they are going to play the fool like a certain other country. (Also, the polls for the greens seem to be rather soft.)

I think the American assumption is that we can go to war with China over Taiwan but also that China won’t attack US military assets outside the direct zone of conflict out of fear of the US killing millions of Chinese citizens as retaliation. We get to have our cake and eat it too because we’re willing to commit the largest mass murder in human history.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the American assumption is that we can go to war with China over Taiwan but also that China won’t attack US military assets outside the direct zone of conflict out of fear of the US killing millions of Chinese citizens as retaliation. We get to have our cake and eat it too because we’re willing to commit the largest mass murder in human history.
Hey, that kind of thinking worked with Reagan and the Soviets.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Good thing nobody looked at the consequences of the soviet union willingly dissolving and made no conclusions from it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The U.S. Navy Submarine Force Could Sink The Chinese Fleet And Save Taiwan, But At The Cost Of A Quarter Of Its Boats

Same wargames apparently predict we'll win at the cost of a quater of the American subfleet. Just the sub fleet

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

The U.S. Navy Submarine Force Could Sink The Chinese Fleet And Save Taiwan, But At The Cost Of A Quarter Of Its Boats

Same wargames apparently predict we'll win at the cost of a quater of the American subfleet. Just the sub fleet

Very lucky for the Americans that the scenario premise is set up so that the US can get all but 1 or 2 of their submarines to the pacific in time to stop the invasion.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

cat botherer posted:

Hey, that kind of thinking worked with Reagan and the Soviets.

during the cold war ufos allegedly hosed with american nuclear missiles by turning off their ability to launch

on the soviet side to scare them the ufos turned the missiles on

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Very lucky for the Americans that the scenario premise is set up so that the US can get all but 1 or 2 of their submarines to the pacific in time to stop the invasion.

You'd think for a wargame we set up to win at we'd do a bit better cause they keep saying we kept Taiwan "free" butit really looks like the end of this war is the destruction of its ability to control large swarths of the globe

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

isn't america gonna reach a local(lol) minimum in terms of force ratio against china very soon

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Wheeee posted:

during the cold war ufos allegedly hosed with american nuclear missiles by turning off their ability to launch

on the soviet side to scare them the ufos turned the missiles on
Really hope those green boys are going to be the deus ex machina that keeps the world from ending.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Stairmaster posted:

isn't america gonna reach a local(lol) minimum in terms of force ratio against china very soon

The date that keeps getting bandied around as when America will have it's advantage back is 2027, this scenario is set in 2026. This date is crucial to the war gaming because success for the USA relies heavily on the LRASM, current stocks of which are low and projected stocks in 2026 are 450.

Predictions of Chinese capabilities are significantly guesswork, they used Google Earth to esstimate the number of underground airfields. I'm going to do some more reading on the estimates they're using for Chinese force numbers.

One section of the report which stood out to me is the following.

quote:

Focus on Taiwan.
The game focuses on combat around Taiwan and in the Western Pacific region that could affect such combat on the island. It abstracted operations in the South China Sea to maintain focus on Taiwan. These battles would unfold as the East Coast units of the U.S. Navy arrived in the region, having traveled via the Suez Canal. Chinese forces would attempt to block these U.S. forces romapproaching Taiwan. Some Chinese forces are not available for the invasion of Taiwan, being stationed in the south to guard against such actions. As U.S. forces arrive, China must withdraw forces from other regions, including those attacking Taiwan, to maintain defense.

I think if China invades Taiwan the Suez will be blocked by ship/s running aground. It's even possible the Evergrande doing so was a test.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah the report has most planes being lost on the ground. The USA's operations are all mostly focused on stand off strikes.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Weka posted:

Yeah the report has most planes being lost on the ground. The USA's operations are all mostly focused on stand off strikes.

stand off strikes from what? anything within standoff strike range will be in range of Chinese assets including anti-ship ballistic missiles.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think China will just ask bees and mosquitos for help and that'll be that

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The date that keeps getting bandied around as when America will have it's advantage back is 2027, this scenario is set in 2026. This date is crucial to the war gaming because success for the USA relies heavily on the LRASM, current stocks of which are low and projected stocks in 2026 are 450.

Predictions of Chinese capabilities are significantly guesswork, they used Google Earth to esstimate the number of underground airfields. I'm going to do some more reading on the estimates they're using for Chinese force numbers.

One section of the report which stood out to me is the following.

I think if China invades Taiwan the Suez will be blocked by ship/s running aground. It's even possible the Evergrande doing so was a test.

The issue in that case though is that the PLAAF has its own long range stand off missiles, so if hard to see where the Americans have an advantage.

Also, most of the US sub fleet is geared to countering the Russians and really can’t be pulled back without surrendering the arctic if not the North Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1610843553927942145

finally australia will have an answer to the papua new guinean long range artillery that threatens their continent