Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: B League Preview Time! :siren:

ONE on Prime Video 6 - Friday, January 13

Main Card - Amazon Prime, 8PM ET

Lightweight Title (Kickboxing) - Superbon Singha Mawynn vs Chingiz Allazov

Superbon is 113-34 with 27 KO wins. He’s the current ONE Featherweight kickboxing champ.

Allazov is 59-5 with 36 KO wins in kickboxing. He’s the 2021 ONE Featherweight kickboxing Grand Prix champ and a former K-1 Super Welterweight champ.

This fight has been attempted twice previously. First, in September, Allazov was injured. Then, in December, Superbon was injured. Let’s hope the third time is in fact the charm and Allazov can cash in his Grand Prix victory for a title shot.

Bantamweight Title (Kickboxing) - Superlek “The Kicking Machine” Kiatmoo9 vs Daniel Puertas

Superlek is 131-29 in kickboxing. He’s the 2012 (115 lbs) and 2013 (118 lbs) Lumpinee Stadium champ.

Puertas is 32-8 with 12 KO wins. He’s some International Sport Karate titles, which, I guess is a thing that exists.

I would not want to face a machine that kicks in a bout that is 50% kicking by name. Pray for Puertas.

Bantamweight Title (Grappling) - Mikey “Darth Rigatoni” Musumeci vs Bayanduuren Gantumur

Musumeci is approximately 60% grappling, 40% nerd poo poo, 1000% pasta, by volume.

Gantumur is a 3-1 MMA fighter with all of his wins by TKO, and his lone loss by submission.

Unless Bayanduuren forgets the rules and just clocks Mikey, I think Musumeci is going to submit him quickly.

Strawweight (Custom Rules) - Stamp Fairtex vs Anissa Meksen

Stamp is 9-2 in MMA and 63-17 in kickboxing. She’s got 3 TKO and 2 submission wins in MMA, all inside of ONE. She’s a former ONE kickboxing and Muay Thai champ at Atomweight, plus the 2021 MMA Atomweight Grand Prix champion.

Meksen is 103-5 in kickboxing, with 33 knockouts. She’s a former Glory Super Bantamweight champ.

This fight is set up with rounds 1 and 3 under Muay Thai rules and rounds 2 and 4 MMA rules. Meksen looks to be far more experienced in kickboxing, but Stamp’s no slouch in the striking world. Should be fun and rad!

Catchweight (215 lbs) - Aung “The Burmese Python” La N Sang vs Gilberto “Giba” Galvao

La N Sang is 28-13, boasting 14 TKO and 12 submission wins, with 4 TKO and 3 submission losses. He’s 13-4 in ONE, with 8 TKO and 3 sub wins. He’s a former ONE Middleweight and Light Heavyweight champ, with a combined four successful defenses. He’s currently on a one-fight win streak, having TKO’d Yushin Okami inside of two minutes back in November.

Galvao is 30-7, with 3 TKO and 15 submission wins, plus 4 TKO and 1 sub loss. He’s 2-2 in ONE, with 1 TKO win and both losses coming by TKO as well. He’s on a one-fight losing streak, having been knocked out by Reinier de Ridder via grounded knees way back in 2019.

Huh, I wonder if Gilberto is being brought back to the ONE Circle so that Aung La N Sang can obliterate a guy with a decent-on-paper record.

Bantamweight (Kickboxing) - Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon vs Jiduo “The Eagle of Yi” Yibu

Rodtang boasts a 269-42 kickboxing record. He is ONE’s “flyweight” Muay Thai champ, with 4 successful defenses of that belt. Best I can tell, he’s on a 7-fight win streak under kickboxing rules.

Yibu exits, question mark? His profile page on ONE just lists his vital stats with no biography. He’s 0-1 in kickboxing on Tapology, having lost a split decision to Daniel Puertas in ONE last March.

C’mon guys, it’s Rodtang, and the chatter is a win here gets him a title shot at the kickboxing belt.

Lightweight - Garry “The Lion Killer” Tonon vs Johnny “Johnny Boy” Nunez

Tonon is 6-1, with 2 TKO and 3 submission wins. He’s fought exclusively in ONE, and lost his last bout, a bid for the title, to Thanh Le by first round bludgeoning.

Nunez is 7-2, with 2 TKO and 1 submission win. He went 2-1 in WSoF, 1-0 in Bellator, 0-3 on two separate stints on TUF, and is 0-1 in ONE. He has not fought since 2019, when he lost a decision to Kazuki Tokudome inside the ONE Circle.

Nunez has gotten submitted by Joe Condon, Ryan Hall, and James Krause. I’m pretty confident that Tonon is going to obliterate him easily.

Postlim Card - Later, YouTube

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Anna “Supergirl” Jaroonsak vs Ekaterina “Barbie” Vandaryeva

Jaroonsak is 2-0 in ONE’s Muay Thai division, notching an opening minute KO in her debut against Milagros Lopez in 2020. She went to a split decision against Ekaterina Vandaryeva last January.

Vandaryeva is 58-10 as a kickboxer, with 16 KO wins. She’s 0-3 in ONE Muay Thai.

Vandaryeva really needs to not lose her fourth in a row. That seems like a bad streak to be on!

Catchweight (150 lbs) - Jae Woong “The Fighting God” Kim vs Shoko “Masamitsu” Sato

Kim is 13-6 with 9 TKO wins, and 4 TKO losses. He is 4-3 inside the ONE Circle, all four wins coming by TKO stoppage. He went 1-2 last year in ONE, getting knocked out by Kai Tang in just over 2 minutes in March, then he got choked out by Shamil Gasanov in October. He ended the year on a high note with a TKO win over Kevin Belingon in November.

Sato is 33-15, with 20 TKO wins, and just 3 stoppage losses. He is 3-2 in ONE, though he’s split time with Vale Tudo Japan and Shooto. He lost his last bout to Stephen Loman by decision last March.

You would think a god of fighting would have a much better record, but I think it’s good for the mythology when gods are a bit flawed. Sato has been fighting since 2007, and in case you need a reminder, that is 16 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
As supplemental material for LobMob's great preview, here is some writing about why Superbon vs. Allazov is A Big Deal:

BeyondKick.com currently has Superbon at #1 and Allazov at #2 on their Pound-for-Pound kickboxing rankings. Not just in their weight class, but out of all kickboxers. So this is legitimately the biggest kickboxing match you can make now that Tenshin vs. Takeru has resulted in both of them retiring from kickboxing.

Here's a staff preview of the fight, which I'll paste in this box too:

BeyondKick posted:

Only two weeks into the new year, we already got the most important fight of 2023 on our hands.

Superbon Singha Mawynn will defend his ONE Featherweight Kickboxing title against Featherweight Grand Prix winner Chingiz Allazov. At last, the mega-fight fight, which was originally scheduled for October 1 of last year, is within fight week reach and some of our staff members took the opportunity to break down the clash between the two kickboxing superstars.

ANTHONY

Superbon Singha Mawynn and Chingiz Allazov are set to face off in the co-main of the ONE on Prime Video 6. This fight is between two kickboxers, who are considered by some to be the two best pound-for-pound currently. Superbon is on a historically dominant 12-fight win streak, with his last loss being to Marat Grigorian in 2018. Most notably, Superbon has since gone on to avenge his loss to Marat Grigorian, winning a wide decision against the Armenian. Superbon also won an upset victory over a fighter many consider to be the best kickboxer of all time, Giorgio Petrosyan, by a high kick knockout in the second round. Prior to that fight, Superbon won a unanimous decision over Sittichai in a back-and-forth kicking match. Superbon has shown significantly improved boxing since getting knocked out against Marat in 2018. Superbon’s varied kick gaming from both legs and his jab would be essential in determining how the fight goes against Chingiz. This historic streak gives the impression that Superbon is entering his prime right now and shows that Superbon is the pound-for-pound best kickboxer in the sport right now.

However, this is not to say that Chingiz Allazov is not an impressive fighter in his own right. Known as a crafty combination striker with an unorthodox, Allazov's stance switching and movement could very well give Superbon a lot of trouble. Chingiz showed an effective use of his length, movement, and combination striking in his fight against Sittichai, resulting in a hard-fought decision win against the southpaw kicker. Perhaps showing that Allazov could very well be entering his prime as well. However, it was also not that long ago that Chingiz lost to Enriko Kehl, where Chingiz seemed to have trouble dealing with the punching volume and forward pressure of the southpaw Kehl.

I believe that Superbon will come out the victor over a hard-fought decision, but that will depend on whether or not Allazov can get past Superbon's kicking weapons and use his combination work to score points or knockout Superbon.

KEVIN

A hard fight to predict! Chingiz Allazov's performance against Sitthichai might have been the most impressive performance of 2022. Just a few fighters had glimpses of success against the Thai, but nobody has ever countered him as effectively throughout the fight as Allazov. Especially his work to the body can't be an underestimated factor. Superbon, however, is a much more versatile and dynamic fighter than Sitthichai. His varied kicking game completely shut down Marat Grigorian in his last fight, and one could assume that the same fate awaits Allazov. I don't think he'll look to work his combinations game but rather his signature angles, countering Superbon's kicks while keeping up the pressure. The biggest unknown is Chingiz Allazov's cardio over five rounds. As opposed to the more relaxed Superbon, he's always moving, he's always feinting, looking for openings. 

Nonetheless, I think he's in the best shape of his life right now and has what it takes to outwork Superbon. If he's not able to do it, no one is. I think we'll see a new champion this weekend. Chingiz Allazov by decision.

PICO

The main question in this match-up is how Allazov deals with Superbon's kicking game. Chinga has to date had four fights inside the ONE circle, although two of them - Nattawut and Sana, ended too quickly for us to see how he'd deal with their kicks, which leaves us with his fights against Enriko Kehl and Sitthichai to see how he responds to dedicated kicking games.

Against Kehl, 'Chinga' had no other response but to take the damage and attempt to answer with his own combinations, which left the right side of his body bruised as early as the end of the first round. He did better in his Grand Prix final bout against Sitthichai, as he would often counter kicks with punches, whether to the body or upstairs. Sitthichai was still able to land a number of kicks however, and Allazov seemed visibly fatigued by the end of the three-round affair. All of this seems to favor Superbon, as he is a better kicker than both Kehl and Sitthichai and he'll have five rounds to work his magic.

Superbon by unanimous decision, in another backfoot masterclass.
So get excited! This is a HUGE fight! I know it's buried on Amazon Prime on a Friday night and it is impossible to tell from the outside how important it is, but now you know so maybe now you'll tune in?

The other news is that, assuming that Stamp and Anissa come out of their MMA/Muay Thai mixed bout unscathed, they will meet on the February show for the interim kickboxing title. Three different sports in a month? Why not?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can hear exactly how Schiavello pronounces
Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kimbo305 posted:

I can hear exactly how Schiavello pronounces
Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon

GUT MUNCHING KNEE FROM THE THAI

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's another preview for Superbon vs. Chingiz Allazov, with gif examples of techniques
https://www.thefight-site.com/home/superbon-vs-chingiz-allazov-striking-against-the-fury

Chingiz missed hydration by .0049, so who knows if ONE will thumb the scale or not, he has a few hours to try again.
https://twitter.com/TimWheatonMMA/status/1613527636562657281

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Boco_T posted:

who knows if ONE will thumb the scale or not

Serious question, don't the always?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Brut posted:

Serious question, don't the always?
Mostly, but they've had fighters lose titles on the scale and most recently their Flyweight Muay Thai GP final had both Superlek and Panpayak miss weight or hydration so it just became A Regular Fight and the GP had no winner.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Nope. There was a grand prix final towards the end of last year and both guys missed either weight, hydration, or both, so the fight became a catchweight and nobody won the tournament

Also, the current Vacant title after Lineker missed and the fight went no contest after that brutal nard shot

e: f, b

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Chingiz missed hydration by .0049

How much water does that translate to? Seems like he has 0.5lbs of weight to work with to hydrate up?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Championship’s Hydration & Weigh-In System

ONE Championship’s weight classes are unlike any other organization in the world. ONE has been an industry leader by banning weight-cutting via dehydration. Instead, the promotion has implemented a revolutionary system that ensures athletes are hydrated, fit, and healthy ahead of their bouts.

The new program, which is the first of its kind for combat sports, is focused on athlete safety by introducing “walking weight” competition via multiple weigh-ins and hydration tests before and during event week. An athlete’s “walking weight” will be tracked on a regular basis throughout the period that the athlete is contracted to ONE.

The weigh-in program was established after thorough discussions and recommendations by ONE’s Medical and Competition teams, consisting of Vice President of Medical Services Dr. Warren Wang, Chief Medical Advisor Dr. James Okamoto, Senior Vice President of Competition Matt Hume, and Vice President Rich Franklin.

How Does ONE’s Hydration & Weigh-In System Work?

- An athlete’s daily training weight is referred to as “walking weight.” ONE will assign an athlete his or her weight class based on the athlete’s “walking weight.” Bouts will be offered to an athlete strictly based on his or her “walking weight.”
- When athletes arrive at ONE’s athlete hotel at the start of event week, their weights will be checked. Every athlete must be within the restrictions of the contracted weight class or catchweight limit.
- During event week, all athletes will participate in a combined weigh-in and hydration test. Hydration will be checked through a urine specific gravity test in which every athlete will submit a urine sample to a medical technician. Under the guidance of ONE’s doctor, the technician and doctor will test the sample to ensure the athlete is hydrated with a urine specific gravity value of 1.025 or below. If the athlete passes this test, he or she can weigh-in. The athlete’s weight must be within the restrictions of the contracted weight class or catchweight limit.
- On event day, athletes who made weight and passed the hydration test on the previous day do not have to weigh-in. However, if an athlete has missed weight or failed a hydration test, then he or she must pass the hydration test and make weight on event day.
- If an athlete fails the hydration test on event day, he or she is not permitted to compete. Should an athlete pass the hydration test but weigh-in above the restrictions of the contracted weight class, then the bout may take place at a catchweight if the athlete is within 5 percent of his or her opponent’s official weight, and if the opponent agrees to competing at this catchweight. Additionally, a percentage of the athlete’s purse will be given to the opponent due to failure to make the contracted weight.
- Post-bout weight may not exceed 5 percent over the weight class or catchweight limit. If an athlete were to commit this offense, he or she will be held to the rules below:
First offense – athlete receives an official warning.
Second offense – athlete will be penalized 25 percent of his or her total fight purse.
Third offense – athlete will be penalized 50 percent of his or her purse. The athlete will also be permanently disqualified from competing in the weight class and must move up to the next higher weight class.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
So I people that fail hydration need to drink enough water to pass it, but not enough water that their weight exceeds the weight class limit.

People that pass hydration but fail weight, like Rodtang, have room to cut via dehydration (lol even though it says that's banned on the rules) and hope that they don't do the inverse via too much sweating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I just don't know how urine specific gravity is affected by drinking X amount of water if you weigh Y.
Like ounces in the case of missing by .005, or even more? I assume time is a factor.

I want a fighter to try to load water up in their foreskin to cheat.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Allazov passed hydration and made weight

Still waiting for Rodtang's 2nd weigh in attempt

e: rodtang missed weight again

https://twitter.com/DeadSeaGulls/status/1613558541876617217?t=OKFIngtpU7jSX_WS_oyHkg&s=19

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 12, 2023

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Man, what is up with Rodtang. He missed for his bout against Savvas too.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Cyber Dog posted:

Man, what is up with Rodtang. He missed for his bout against Savvas too.

he is literally made of iron, and thus, far too dense for his height for the weight class he competes in

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's even in his name "Rod" + "tang." His hydration is always so low so he doesn't rust.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In a first for me on a "big" show, Anissa Meksen straight up no-showed the weigh-ins. The MMA/MT mixed bout is off.

http://twitter.com/NicoSCMP/status/1613567302250926087

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Apparently Meksen was not at the press conference the day before because she wasn't feeling well.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

james krause is...probably actually hosed

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

james krause is...probably actually hosed

Well I've fought in the UFC over a dozen times, and I'm one of the most talked-about MMA coaches in the world, but my real passion? It's crime

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/heynottheface/status/1613681912304005120

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Essential Chingiz for tomorrow
http://twitter.com/Beyond_Kick/status/1613713578846027777
http://twitter.com/Beyond_Kick/status/1613717931010973697

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Paul Daley: throws the worst punch of his life after the bell at one of the least likeable people in the sport - banned from the org for life

Dana White: slaps his wife a couple of times in public - no punishment but people think he's a bad widdle boy and he has to live with that :(

Free Dana imo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That guy who lucidly gave him props after getting dropped and battered in the fight has a hell of a chin and lack of ego.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

That guy who lucidly gave him props after getting dropped and battered in the fight has a hell of a chin and lack of ego.

Didn't watch the clip you're referring to but thinking back to Bobby Green against Dober last month

Also remember when Dober beat Jamie Varner and the consensus was that Varner needed to retire immediately after such an embarrassing loss? Interesting how times change

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/JohnMorgan_MMA/status/1613957020129820684?t=ddP8Ay0bSHg6dHftuBPZ2w&s=19

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh no. drat. I really wanted... to watch... Pricilla vs... Sijara. That would have been... a fight. I guess I'll have to content myself with the show starting 30 minutes later.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

my writeup for that fight was originally just one sentence that read "this doesn't matter because statistically speaking sijara eubanks won't make it to the fight" and then i decided that was too disrespectful

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Meanwhile for ONE tonight, Anna Jaroonsak stepped up from the Postlims to fight Stamp and they made the other Postlim the first fight on the show instead, so now all 8 fights are airing on Prime and there are no Postlims. The Stamp fight that was previously MMA/MT mixed rules is now... kickboxing rules.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Meanwhile for ONE tonight, Anna Jaroonsak stepped up from the Postlims to fight Stamp and they made the other Postlim the first fight on the show instead, so now all 8 fights are airing on Prime and there are no Postlims. The Stamp fight that was previously MMA/MT mixed rules is now... kickboxing rules.

glad stamp gets a fight, but boo to no more weird mixed rules

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
out with mixed rules, in with CAVE RULES

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1613962115064135686

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the only CAVE rules i respect is their "shadowboxing only" matches

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren: :woop: :derp:

GDT for ONE on Prime + UFC: Strickland vs Imavov

:derp: :woop: :siren:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fight Week, Pets Week!

UFC: Strickland vs Imavov edition

Punahele Soriano's dog

Rocky Pennington's lil pal

Dan Argueta's fluffy friend

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1614067194664550401

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

lmao I love how prior to landing it he's just sprinting full speed with that same hook at him

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

an adult woman is beating up a child on my tv rn

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Trillhouse posted:

an adult woman is beating up a child on my tv rn

Turn on your tv

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Must-Sees:
Stamp Fairtex vs. Anna Jaroonsak
Suplek Kiatmoo9 vs. Daniel Puertas
Superbon vs. Chingiz Allazov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For threadreaders, head on back to the GDT for UFC in half an hourish, dead air due to fight cancellations pending.