Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do they have any books about January 6th I can use to educate my 10 month old son?

On the flipside, we got The Antiracist Baby to try and trigger our conservative parents but nobody has taken the bait yet. It's not an especially good book, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Benagain posted:

remember it's okay to walk away or close your eyes and breathe for a second.

Really, I'm impressed you got this far before feeling like this.

Struensee has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jan 6, 2023

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

im not sure my 8 year old even knows what 9/11 was and i don't think its particularly important

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Started up a TTRPG for my family on our weekly pizza night using the Quest system which is pretty rules light and easy for newbies to understand (and me to plan out relatively speaking)

Youngest got really into character creation and made what is essentially a paladin named Dookie Dan who has been transformed into a 8 foot tall toilet swinging around the arm of a statue he ripped off for reason to be determined later.

Unfortunately once we started playing he got stage fright and needed a ton of help with the concept of just "literally just say what you want to do and I'll let you know if it is cool or not"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vishass posted:

Started up a TTRPG for my family on our weekly pizza night using the Quest system which is pretty rules light and easy for newbies to understand (and me to plan out relatively speaking)

Youngest got really into character creation and made what is essentially a paladin named Dookie Dan who has been transformed into a 8 foot tall toilet swinging around the arm of a statue he ripped off for reason to be determined later.

Unfortunately once we started playing he got stage fright and needed a ton of help with the concept of just "literally just say what you want to do and I'll let you know if it is cool or not"

Nothing quite as wonderfully unhinged as the imagination of a small child.

Has he drawn a picture of Dookie Dan?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I was just about to start going all in on bringing D&D (not the subforum) into my home for my 5 year old to start getting into, but then they went and revamped the OGL to screw over Indy publishers so I guess my kid's gonna be a GURPS kid.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Nothing quite as wonderfully unhinged as the imagination of a small child.

Has he drawn a picture of Dookie Dan?

No, but I helped him doodle something up to help visualize it. He has big beefy human arms and legs and wears a Nyan Cat bracer as he has sworn an oath of justice to Nyan Cat. He also has shark teeth, wears very sparkly armor, and uses what is essentially Mjolnir as a ranged weapon with the rule he can't use it for anything a normal bow and arrow couldn't do. The hammer is enscribed with the word "Hewwo!"

His solution to his stage fright issue is that now Dookie Dan only makes flushing noises.

Oh and Dookie Dan's main goal in life is to fix his transformation. He isn't supposed to be a giant sort of anachronistic toilet. His people have transcended humanity and have become pachimari from Overwatch. My kids don't know poo poo about Overwatch but they collected all the little stuffed onion octopus things when they went on clearance at game stop

Vishass has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Jan 9, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Organic Lube User posted:

I was just about to start going all in on bringing D&D (not the subforum) into my home for my 5 year old to start getting into, but then they went and revamped the OGL to screw over Indy publishers so I guess my kid's gonna be a GURPS kid.

I got Hero Kids to try for my kid. 5 was too young for her b/c of attention but I’m going to try again now at 6.

hope it goes well.maybe I’ll buy some rpg meeples

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vishass posted:

No, but I helped him doodle something up to help visualize it. He has big beefy human arms and legs and wears a Nyan Cat bracer as he has sworn an oath of justice to Nyan Cat. He also has shark teeth, wears very sparkly armor, and uses what is essentially Mjolnir as a ranged weapon with the rule he can't use it for anything a bow and arrow. The hammer is enscribed with the word "Hewwo!"

His solution to his stage fright issue is that now Dookie Dan only makes flushing noises.

Oh and Dookie Dan's main goal in life is to fix his transformation. He isn't supposed to be a giant sort of anachronistic toilet. His people have transcended humanity and have become pachimari from Overwatch. My kids don't know poo poo about Overwatch but they collected all the little stuffed onion octopus things when they went on clearance at game stop

:kimchi:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vishass posted:

No, but I helped him doodle something up to help visualize it. He has big beefy human arms and legs and wears a Nyan Cat bracer as he has sworn an oath of justice to Nyan Cat. He also has shark teeth, wears very sparkly armor, and uses what is essentially Mjolnir as a ranged weapon with the rule he can't use it for anything a bow and arrow. The hammer is enscribed with the word "Hewwo!"

Man, I DM'd a modified Changeling: the Dreaming back in the day. Dookie Dan would have fit right in.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

That is child abuse. Use Savage Worlds or something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do they have any books about January 6th I can use to educate my 10 month old son?

There's was a book made on these very forums that you could read to your child.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

That is child abuse. Use Savage Worlds or something.

*checks the index for the page of the table that will give me the appropriate comeback for this*

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Roleplaying manuels are like textbooks for things that don't exist. Genuinely ok baby story time material.

Just point at things and say their name:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KirbyKhan posted:

Roleplaying manuels are like textbooks for things that don't exist. Genuinely ok baby story time material.

Just point at things and say their name:

Okay I'm not a historian, but at least a few of those are definitely, 100% attributable weapons used in actual armies. (Mostly among the polearms)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah like someone foreal named their spear "Bill". It's fantasy :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

bohemian's earspoon :rolleyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kitfox88 posted:

bohemian's earspoon :rolleyes:

If you have a better tool with which I can halt charging cavalry and snort cocaine I'm all ears buddy!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you're all ears that one is gonna have its work cut out for it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Microplastics posted:

If you're all ears that one is gonna have its work cut out for it

:vince:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just when you think you're getting good at this taking care of infants thing... a new and fun regression.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was foolish enough to think we were past sleep regressions but my 2.5-year-old has started waking up before dawn again and has by now learned that she has to yell for us specifically to get let out of the crib so she does it pretty much immediately

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son woke up four times in the space of an hour last night so i caved and let him sleep in my the bed with me. i don't like having him in the bed but man i just need to sleep at the end of the day. hopefully he sleeps better tonight. also he is coughing this morning, he better not be getting sick. he was sick twice in december, its too much!!!!!!!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

I was foolish enough to think we were past sleep regressions but my 2.5-year-old has started waking up before dawn again and has by now learned that she has to yell for us specifically to get let out of the crib so she does it pretty much immediately

This is the sign that the side needs to come off, and she needs to learn how to turn on the TV by herself. Remember to lower the volume.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids wake up early before school every single day to play video games and it's never the volume of the television that is the problem.

Stop. Screaming.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kids wake up early before school every single day to play video games and it's never the volume of the television that is the problem.

Stop. Screaming.

More like screeching

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Straight gaming in the AM

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Mine stopped screaming in the morning around 5-6 years old, but at dinner time when I say it's time to stop the screens and eat something they both immediately jog around the house looking for literally anything else to do that isn't getting dinner at a volume I'd call "conversation in a packed night club" level. The oldest is 12.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Vishass posted:

Mine stopped screaming in the morning around 5-6 years old, but at dinner time when I say it's time to stop the screens and eat something they both immediately jog around the house looking for literally anything else to do that isn't getting dinner at a volume I'd call "conversation in a packed night club" level. The oldest is 12.

High five, I'm right here with you. At dinner time still too.

It's a super great time and not at all exhausting after more than a decade.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

my son woke up four times in the space of an hour last night so i caved and let him sleep in my the bed with me. i don't like having him in the bed but man i just need to sleep at the end of the day. hopefully he sleeps better tonight. also he is coughing this morning, he better not be getting sick. he was sick twice in december, its too much!!!!!!!!

he's sick, running a fever. im so mad at this situation, parenting is a million times harder when he's sick.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
All the kids mixed with families over Christmas, picking up loads of infections, only to take them to daycare in the new year and swap them amongst themselves. It's only a matter of time before my kid brings some new fresh hell back with him

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i read the dispossessed recently, the most utopian and greatest part of annares is how they eliminated almost all illness. what a joy it must be to live in that society where kids don't get sick. wowie.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vishass posted:

I played Amazing Tales with my 6yo and she basically took over and just narrated the whole story with no input from me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Great success!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

My baby is teething and is consequently waking up every hour during the night. It also takes around 25 minutes to get her back to sleep, cause the first time I put her down she always wakes back up in less than 2 minutes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this is a fun time to inform you that whatever soothing technique you settle on to get them back to sleep will come back time and time again even when they're like 9.

my son still asks for me to pat him on the back so he can fall asleep. if I do it, he's out in minutes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is miraculously feeling better today, i am so relieved. still needs to stay home from daycare because he was running a fever last night but i am confident he can go back tomorrow. and he's so much easier to take care of when he isn't sick, he's happy and easygoing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Condiv posted:

My baby is teething and is consequently waking up every hour during the night. It also takes around 25 minutes to get her back to sleep, cause the first time I put her down she always wakes back up in less than 2 minutes

I'm a little concerned our girl is getting some early teething pain because she's been like this lately too. Could just be the four month regression too I guess. Reading advice on it is hilarious as always because the terminology is laden with protestant judgment.

Oh you're rocking your baby to sleep so you can get a semblance of rest? And you're letting her contact nap so she gets more than 30 minutes of sleep at a time? Congratulations on establishing negative sleep associations. You'll be lucky if your kid goes to college.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Imma thread poo poo this special place with Mother In Law complaints. She's back for the birth of her grand daughter. I deep cleaned our home like I was back on shift at the Ramada, it has never been cleaner. She arrives and still refuses to eat my cooking and the first video she wants to watch on the TV is the nostalgic m&m commercial retrospective. Pray4me plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shop lifting baby oragel from the CVS worked for my firstborn boy and I'm sure it'll work for my second born girl.