Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Freaquency posted:

I am sure that a rule that looks to ban gas stove starts with new construction and renovations, and would probably focus on multi tenant properties at first. They aren’t going to tell 330 million people to all go out and buy a new stove at once.

Yeah no one is coming to steal your stove or tear up your house making an electric stove work, that's just manufactured outrage. This is more of a 'well by 2050 we hope most stoves will be electric and we won't be producing more of these for in-home cooking' type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I received a kitchenaid that had sat outside, under a tarp, for a couple of years before I got it. So I found the service manual for my model online and disassembled it completely to clean it and fix it up. The entire thing is user-serviceable if you have a few hand tools and are willing to spend a couple of hours being careful as you take it to pieces. My suspicion for at least Freaquency and maybe also AA is that you just need new brushes for the motor. They're not too hard to replace. It's possible that you got something up in there that allowed a spark or short to "burn out" something but from my recollection of how its put together that's hard to do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We got the Frigidaire Gallery series that sticks out as being relatively cheap compared to the rest of the CR list screenshotted here, and I loving love it:

The only difference between those bottom two is whether the controls are on the front or back.

Ours replaced the cheapest electric we could find to temporarily bridge the gap from broken oven that came with the house and eventually gas after kitchen remodel. Induction got enough positive feedback and that model is competitively priced compared to gas, so we pulled the trigger before redoing the kitchen.

Good to know. The Frigidaire one, and there's an LG one that are my top two. Wife and I are supposed to go to the store soon to go look at them and pick. Only problem is I need an electrician to run a 240V outlet for me. That shouldn't be a big deal because my panel is directly below my kitchen, and I have spares in my panel to add the breaker, but I still need to get someone out soon.

I plan to eventually get an electric dryer, and then the only gas thing in my house will be my furnace. I have a heat pump, but once it gets below 35, I have to turn on gas. At least this way I can go like 9 months out of the year not needing natural gas in my home.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh on that subject having a NG grill is incredible and I never wanna go back to propane

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

All I can say is never get a Kenmore. I got a full set of Kenmore stuff on Black Friday in 2017 because I had to replace my entire kitchen after Harvey and it's all I could afford. While the induction range and convection oven is ok, the microwave and dishwasher have both died and been replaced and the fridge is going to join them some time this year. Just bad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dirty shrimp money posted:

All I can say is never get a Kenmore. I got a full set of Kenmore stuff on Black Friday in 2017 because I had to replace my entire kitchen after Harvey and it's all I could afford. While the induction range and convection oven is ok, the microwave and dishwasher have both died and been replaced and the fridge is going to join them some time this year. Just bad.

Kenmore is also the Sears brand and Sears probably won't exist by the end of 2023. Maybe sooner!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Kenmore is also the Sears brand and Sears probably won't exist by the end of 2023. Maybe sooner!

Yep. The appliances themselves were manufactured by Whirlpool and rebadged as Kenmore. Not that having repair parts readily available has made a difference.

Sad but inevitable what has happened to Sears. It was middle class consumer goods, and as the middle class dies in America it would die...even if a billionaire hadn't used it as a piggy bank.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sears had an entire credit service, store, great brand value, and even their own ISP in the 90s. There's a different Universe where Amazon doesn't exist and we're shopping the Sears Catalog App for our cheap poo poo.

It's the modern day version of wondering why China didn't have the industrial revolution like 900 years ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

Sears had an entire credit service, store, great brand value, and even their own ISP in the 90s. There's a different Universe where Amazon doesn't exist and we're shopping the Sears Catalog App for our cheap poo poo.

It's the modern day version of wondering why China didn't have the industrial revolution like 900 years ago.

If you read the Sears or JCPenney catalog on the bus to find out what you wanted for Christmas, you’re old.

But yeah, Sears should’ve been Amazon. Stores, catalogs, delivery, distribution centers already in place, they really messed up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Appliances chat

Bought house in late 2010 along with new fridge / dishwasher / stove / microwave.

Microwave - Frigidaire. Has been great, no issues ever.
Stove - Frigidaire. Circuit board died out last year, cost to replace was going to be over the cost of a new stove.
Dishwasher - Maytag. Died after 9 years. Replaced with a Samsung due to being a dumbass. that lasted until last month when it started having electrical shorts. Complete piece of poo poo. Just bought a Bosche.
Fridge - Maytag. Have had repeated problems with needing to defrost the thing and take it apart... Probably 4-5 times.

Washing machine / dryer were both 80's generics that came with the house. Dryer died ~3 years ago and I couldn't fix it, replaced both with LG open box specials that have been reasonable thus far.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

It's probably a good lesson on how large corporations can become stagnant, and then completely flop when the world changes around them and they don't adapt. To be fair though, Sears was already on a downward slope when the dot com era was taking off in the late 90s. It would have taken a really visionary CEO to turn that boat around.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently that massive PR hit Sears took when they plagiarized a design for a ratcheting wrench was a nightmare for them.

Kind of sad, there's somehow a Sears not too far from me and I shop there. What little tools they have are decently priced (all Craftsman too) but they've completely closed off the 3rd floor which used to be all appliances. Their clothes smell like chemicals too.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah Sears is a case study in managerial malpractice and the ills of vulture capitalism. It took a lot of bad decisions over a long period of time for it to wind up where it did.

Also thanks for the info on the stand mixer, Leper. I’ll look up the service manual and see what I can figure out.

^ Oh the Sears in Columbia, MD closed off its 2nd floor and it became one of those entertainment and arcade centers. It had a bowling alley. You could hear it. All of the employees looked like they wanted to die.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn’t Sears have a terrible CEO actively ruining things as well?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

If HCH has taught me anything, it's the only appliance with a standout brand head and shoulders above the rest is Bosch dishwashers. Refrigerators especially are a crapshoot although getting one that doesn't have anything dispense from the door is a huge help.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Apparently that massive PR hit Sears took when they plagiarized a design for a ratcheting wrench was a nightmare for them.

Kind of sad, there's somehow a Sears not too far from me and I shop there. What little tools they have are decently priced (all Craftsman too) but they've completely closed off the 3rd floor which used to be all appliances. Their clothes smell like chemicals too.

You still have a working Sears? I think even in Chicago they're all gone, and we're the hometown of Sears. Only thing I can find are Sears Appliance Repair places.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bobjr posted:

Didn’t Sears have a terrible CEO actively ruining things as well?

Yeah, libertarian whackadoo. His philosophy is that people are selfish bastards, so forced his managers to compete for scant resources against each other for resources over profits. Like literally forcing them to do kiss the ring poo poo to get anything from him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sears would still be limping along, like Macy's and JC Penny, if it hadn't been ruthlessly (and very probably illegally) gutted by a shitheaded greedy rear end in a top hat. The story of Sears' gutting is fascinating really. One of its most important and valuable assets was real estate, and Eddie Lampert decided he'd rather just personally have all that money for himself.

Lampert would like you to believe that they were just sadly defeated by Amazon. That's a lie. Sears was intentionally looted. Lampert, and businesses directly owned by him, loaned Sears billions of dollars, and used its real estate as collateral for the loans, thus guaranteeing the interest income no matter what happened to the company. He also split the departments within the store into competing mini-businesses, which led to sales staff refusing to help each other or trying to poach customers from neighboring departments. He made a ton of just bizarre, boneheaded decisions, so he wasn't only a ruthless profiteer gutting the company for his personal benefit, he was also just totally wrong about how to run a retail business.

There's several good articles about it, here's one:
https://theweek.com/articles/801927/how-vulture-capitalists-ate-sears

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 12, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

But yeah, Sears should’ve been Amazon. Stores, catalogs, delivery, distribution centers already in place, they really messed up.

IIRC, as Sears has been a recurring subject for years in the Companies Circling the Drain thread in PYF, it was partially a case of bad timing as they shut down their catalog division in the early 90s as it’s sales had rapidly declined and it required tens of thousands of people to operate. This was a few years before the internet became a thing and severs more before online shopping was the ubiquitous monster it is now. At the time, having physical locations in basically every major shopping mall, and I think often owning them outright rather than leasing them, was what was working and looked to be the way things would continue. I also think a lot of their bigger failures and mismanagement and other stuff was still a ways off as well…

EFB with more detail on the stuff on the CEO

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

You still have a working Sears? I think even in Chicago they're all gone, and we're the hometown of Sears. Only thing I can find are Sears Appliance Repair places.

Related to Sears downfall, looking it up KMart still has three stores open in the continental United States and nine stores total.

Which is 9 more stores than I expected.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imagine a Sears where you could still, today, buy a quality Craftsman tool, made in America, online; it'd ship directly from your local Sears or you could pick it up there same-day. And, you'd be able to take it to a local Sears for service or replacement for the rest of your life. Would you pay 2x or 3x more than some poo poo imported no-name tool on Amazon? I sure would. Snap-On still sells quality tools at insane markups because they provide direct on-site sales & service to professional mechanics.

Like even if the business for home furnishings or clothing is too cutthroat today to sustain a huge mall presence, Sears could have pivoted to a smaller set of retail departments, focusing on the ones that people still prefer to do in-person or that have higher margins, and then sold or leased out their mall spaces.

Malls are dying, I don't think anything can save them, but Sears didn't have to die and it that gently caress Lampert didn't deserve hundreds of millions of dollars into his own pockets in return for driving the company into bankruptcy.

e. K-Mart is owned by Sears now, they merged (one of the first things Lampert did as CEO, I think).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

e. K-Mart is owned by Sears now, they merged (one of the first things Lampert did as CEO, I think).

Yeah they're totally the same thing going on there with being eaten alive by the same venture capitalists and poor decisions previously. Er, I mean the exact same ones, not the other ones doing away with Toys R Us or whatever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Lloyd Center Mall in East Portland is trying to reinvigorate itself with cheap-rear end tent & an appeal to local artists/vendors. They're trying to court small food carts to turn a wing into a gigantic food court, which IMO isn't that bad of an idea (I noticed food markets popping up in the city lately). Floating World Comics also moved into the mall and it sounds like there's a real push to get creatives into the building.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Our now-defunct Sears locally is the Righteous Gemstones megachurch

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sears hosed up multiple installations in my home and their customer service hosed it up even more.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My local mall's Sears got turned in to an Amazon Fresh store and the Macys is now a sketchy "off the back of the truck" store. With light rail coming through though it'll be interesting if stuff gets updated and what comes in. Southcenter is the big draw mall for South King County though, no matter how many people get shot there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sears in the mall nearest me turned into a gigantic vaccine administration center on the first floor then a dave and busters on the 2nd.

Now the first floor is some kind of weird escape room place that serves booze.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
gas stove chat is extra funny because the most affected will be california and NY

https://www.statista.com/chart/29082/most-common-type-of-stove-in-the-us/

perfect opportunity to "stick it to the libs"

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

EMS workers charged with murder after patient dies at hospital

Man, it's amazing how easily they charge EMS workers for murder in this situation when there are thousands of instances where cops were more actively culpable in someone's death without consequence.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yeah, there's a major mall near the airport that somehow still has a Sears. Early last year it was sort of fun to shop there because there were a ton of tools you could buy at a discount from somewhere like Amazon. But now it's gone from like 10 rows of tools to like 3 rows. I could basically buy a set of screwdrivers, or a craftsman's mechanics toolset: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-450...DQxR0JUHVjHntGW

Ah well. There's a local hardware store near me that I love shopping at that as far as I can tell is only available in WA state.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Samadhi posted:

EMS workers charged with murder after patient dies at hospital

Man, it's amazing how easily they charge EMS workers for murder in this situation when there are thousands of instances where cops were more actively culpable in someone's death without consequence.

These morons actually did kill their patient and I'm glad they were charged for it. loving idiots.

Also charge all the cops who kill people in their custody as well.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

The one near me (where my dad worked for several years selling appliances) has been turned into apartments and condos, with most of the first floor becoming a DeVry University, and some indoor parking.

Another big Sears on the north side of Chicago is being redeveloped into luxury apartments, but there was a stop work order when it was found that some of the work had been done sans permit. It has since been lifted and work has resumed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Lloyd Center Mall in East Portland is trying to reinvigorate itself with cheap-rear end tent & an appeal to local artists/vendors. They're trying to court small food carts to turn a wing into a gigantic food court, which IMO isn't that bad of an idea (I noticed food markets popping up in the city lately). Floating World Comics also moved into the mall and it sounds like there's a real push to get creatives into the building.

Lloyd Center absolutely deserves to be reborn in that mold and model, even if it takes a few years to get there. That area has service by Portland’s light rail, a ton of parking and a fairly central location. I have a lot of love for that place from growing up in NE.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LeeMajors posted:

These morons actually did kill their patient and I'm glad they were charged for it. loving idiots.

Also charge all the cops who kill people in their custody as well.

Unless there’s a lot more to the story than that article, 1st degree murder is a wayyyyyyyyy overcharge

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

:lmao:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Lloyd Center absolutely deserves to be reborn in that mold and model, even if it takes a few years to get there. That area has service by Portland’s light rail, a ton of parking and a fairly central location. I have a lot of love for that place from growing up in NE.

As a kid I loved shopping at Lloyd Center when my parents would head down there for a day trip. Going there a couple of years ago pre COVID was a sad affair when 2/3rds of the store were closed besides a Hot Topic, a Made in Oregon store (which suspiciously sells a lot of the same things as a Made in Washington store), and an FYM or whatever replaced Suncoast these days.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

Unless there’s a lot more to the story than that article, 1st degree murder is a wayyyyyyyyy overcharge

I'm not sure what criteria must be met, but that's literally week 1 EMT school lessons to NEVER SECURE YOUR PATIENTS PRONE EVER EVER EVER EVER

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Should have called now!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

there is a sears about a half hour away from me that's about to close in a couple of days

the irony that they stopped with the catalog literally minutes before the world wide web went mainstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The mall near my house is thriving and I'm happy for it. I never go because I have Amazon Prime but I'm glad.