Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah so like the first parts of the second part of MGS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Callisto is you walk through the aftermath of someone else's playthrough of this game
Viscera cleanup detail

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why are so many video games just becoming the old God of War where your reward for doing well is inflicting high-detail violence that's the same gameplay-wise as regular violence. Why does The Last Of Us cut away right when your face is about to be ripped off but leaves in every thing you can do to the enemies? Even the Dead Space Remake is a swing and a miss (hit?) in terms of that, you now have to stomp corpses for items whereas in the original game they just popped out.

edit: Controversialest opinion here, but RE4 is a better horror game with the censored deaths like the one where Leon's head rolls off from atop the screen out of frame after the chainsaw swing. The remake is surely going to bring them back in full force and I'm not excited to see it photorealistically.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jan 11, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's something uninspired in how a lot of these games handle gore, yeah. I love the movie Dawn of the Dead, which was released unrated because it would have gotten an X for violence, but the gore there has a style: it's both detailed and kinda cartoony with very bright red fake blood and viscera from the local butcher shop and so on, there's sort of a comic book feel to it which fits the overall semi-comic tone of the movie. The Evil Dead flicks often do the same thing. It can be hard to do the same kind of stylized graphic violence in a video game where you don't have strict control over the framing and lighting of any one element, or how the player sees it, but there's gore that works in its context and gore that just feels like it's there because it's an MA-rated game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's thematic in God of War at least. The descriptions of Achilles splattering people in the Iliad would fit right in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ghostwire has too many collectibles. I'm not usually someone who minds getting doodads across the map and such, but ghostwire has 240,000 souls across Shibuya for you to collect. They're in bundles of 50-300 (or more in specific circumstances), but that's still a shitload of things to get.

It's not like it's even annoying to find them all, since each chunk of map tracks the percentage in it and you get an equippable that basically guides you to the nearest one within a huge radius. It's just so much.

Worse yet, in my opinion, is that once you reach max level the game stops rewarding you XP. I hate it when games do this, especially considering I've only collected like half of these souls (the main source of XP in the game). Spiderman was the absolute best for letting you accumulate XP after max level and giving you a little 1% boost to damage and a point of max health. It's so little but it still makes it feel like XP does something, and was a huge part of the reason that I 100%ed that game both the first time I played it and in NG+ on the hardest difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I would really enjoy the dead space games and callisto for their gameplay and neat stuff like the purely diegetic HUD, but the nonstop detailed gore feels misanthropic to the point of being deeply uncomfortable and it’s enough of a turn-off that I didn’t go any farther than dead space 1, where there was too much conflict between my enjoyment of the things it does legitimately very well and my wish that it had pretty much any other aesthetic.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Preys main problem is such it’s a LONG game and overstays it’s welcome, much like some certain posters in the thread

not you friend

More like old endless, am I right?

I loved every minute of Prey: I finished it and immediately started a new game on a higher difficulty and finished it again. To each their own. :shrug:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've read a couple articles about folks working in the game industry being traumatized by having to look at all sorts of gore images for hours a day to reference in creating the art and animations, which really takes it over the line for me.

Edit: found the one I was thinking of, I'm sure there are others

woke kaczynski has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Jan 12, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhazonLink posted:

ah so like the first parts of the second part of MGS2

That was a fun setup. Maybe the thing Callisto Protocol was missing is spacegulls sitting around pooping on the ground for you to slip and slide on when you run across it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I saw a PCGamer article this morning about promising FPS games and the article header image is some dude's head getting viscerally blown up by a shotgun and it just seems utterly classless to me. Why would you advertise whatever game that is that way? I'm genuinely sick of games going viscerally over the top with the gore in situations where it has no place at all. I don't want to see heads and limbs exploding into chunks every time I kill an enemy, they're just a sick version of damage numbers and developers know it. Give dismemberment a purpose or don't put it in your drat game it's not a human torture simulator. When I shoot a dude just have him loving fall over, please.

I actually remember a Penny Arcade blog about that (back when they weren't so terrible) (shut up), around the release of Soldier of Fortune 2, where they said something to the effect of, "I can stand shooting a video game character and watching the body parts fly, but I don't know if I'm ready to see a look of terror on their face before I pull the trigger."

Like in the latest Mortal Kombat games, I wish they'd tone it down, because they're actually decent fighting games now.

I actually liked how Binary Domain (a criminally underrated game) did it: all the enemies are robots, and you can absolutely dismember them with your weapons, which affects their combat effectiveness, but they're robots.

The intro subverts it a bit, because part of the plot is that there are Terminator-style robots out there who don't know that they're robots, and one of them snaps and rips off part of his face (it's in the intro, not spoiler tagging that.)

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jan 12, 2023

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't take video game gore seriously. It just doesn't come across as looking real (or what I think of as "real"), even today

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

woke kaczynski posted:

I've read a couple articles about folks working in the game industry being traumatized by having to look at all sorts of gore images for hours a day to reference in creating the art and animations, which really takes it over the line for me.

This is my big beef with gore. I don't care if someone's head blowing up doesn't look like it would in real life, just have red and pink stuff. If it's good enough for Quake it's good enough for The Last Of Us! Oh yeah I'll suspend my disbelief over fungus turning people into immortal statues that stand still in the snow for 75 months and then sprint at you when you snap a twig, but you think I'll hit the roof if a guy's brain doesn't look like I imagine it probably would in real life when I get a critical headshot? Did Sam Raimi studiously research what someone cutting his own hand off with a chainsaw would look and sound like? Of course he loving didn't he splattered Bruce Campbell's face with red food dye and that was enough for us all!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dont have red and pink stuff
the head should explode into t-bone steaks and nonsensical cartoon meat chunks with a bone going through them (even when there were no bones)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

dont have red and pink stuff
the head should explode into t-bone steaks and nonsensical cartoon meat chunks with a bone going through them (even when there were no bones)

Didn't Half Life, or some variant of it, have people dying by comically exploding into a couple organs and maybe a skull that would plop to the ground? I can picture it in my mind, but not having luck finding animations..

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
Wasn't there some show on SPIKE or some edgy 00s era network that was all about what medieval weapons do to bodies? I seem to recall it being kind of like a Mythbusters format in a way, with a ton of blobby gooey dye-filled torsos to hack away at with ninja stars and pike-awls or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Hygiene posted:

Didn't Half Life, or some variant of it, have people dying by comically exploding into a couple organs and maybe a skull that would plop to the ground? I can picture it in my mind, but not having luck finding animations..

oh yeah i forgot skulls!
every time you kill an enemy with a headshot at least two skulls should pop out as part of the gibs

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

every headshot should just pop out a full happy meal complete with yellow-paper-wrapped quarter pounder w/cheese, fries, apple slices, and one of the toys from that inspector gadget movie tie-in where each toy is its own thing but you can combine them all to make inspector gadget with all his tools

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Same company, different game. I think you want to look at Team Fortress 2.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

credburn posted:

Wasn't there some show on SPIKE or some edgy 00s era network that was all about what medieval weapons do to bodies? I seem to recall it being kind of like a Mythbusters format in a way, with a ton of blobby gooey dye-filled torsos to hack away at with ninja stars and pike-awls or whatever.

You might be thinking of Deadliest Warrior? Every episode featured two 'fighters' from across history, ranging from generic 'samurai versus European knight' to the highly specific "KGB versus CIA" to see who the hosts thought would win in a fight. In order to back up their claims, they would test the weaponry on ballistic gel torsos and stuff to see just how lethal things could get.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

serefin99 posted:

You might be thinking of Deadliest Warrior? Every episode featured two 'fighters' from across history, ranging from generic 'samurai versus European knight' to the highly specific "KGB versus CIA" to see who the hosts thought would win in a fight. In order to back up their claims, they would test the weaponry on ballistic gel torsos and stuff to see just how lethal things could get.

They did SUN TZU VERSUS VLAD THE IMPALER and I think I felt my brain dripping out of my ears.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The original Half-Life's gibs were mostly just chunks of meat, though I think there was a skull and some bones. Kind of a transitional period between the total abstraction of '90s gibs and more realistic gore.

Team Fortress 2 played gibs for pure comedy, I don't think there's anything particularly identifiable. But if your gibs ended up in your killcam, it would point them out. "Your spleen!" and so forth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least the violence in the new God of War games serves a mechanical purpose as shorthand for if an enemy is out of the fight for certain. If an enemy's torso completely shatters or Kratos totally rips a man in half vertically, you can tell that they won't be getting back up again, but if he just knocks them down, throws them or punches them repeatedly it's good to bear in mind that they might end up surviving the coup de grace and to look out for them and stay cautious.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
To me REALISTIC GORE gets boring pretty quick.
Look at the Sniper Elite games, they've been getting more and more detailed with their Slow-Mo Skeleton and Meat Squelching tech annnnd I just don't care. I don't care for a 10 second slow mo of some nazi's skull shattering. Just gimmie a 2 second slow mo to say Good Job He's Dead and lemme shoot more.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
At least in those games you can turn off the xray vision stuff, so you only get the slow mo. I think you can also turn down the frequency of slow mo shots, because otherwise it's pretty silly. I also got bored after the first couple shattered skulls.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just use animal meat for reference, it pretty much looks the same as human gore but you can eat it when you're done

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoot an enemy and they poof into a little headstone that hits the ground, Worms style.

e: if you can then use the headstone as cover that might be a neat concept

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Jan 12, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I think I would really enjoy the dead space games and callisto for their gameplay and neat stuff like the purely diegetic HUD, but the nonstop detailed gore feels misanthropic to the point of being deeply uncomfortable and it’s enough of a turn-off that I didn’t go any farther than dead space 1, where there was too much conflict between my enjoyment of the things it does legitimately very well and my wish that it had pretty much any other aesthetic.

Dead Space 3 hit a great middle ground regarding this facet. You are traveling to a frozen 200 year old fleet, and so all of the necromorphs are still transformed humans but they're all old and mummified soldiers comprised of multiple people. They burst out of the snow wearing completely dehumanizing snowsuits and so on. Clicking and gurgling and grumbling noises instead of humanoid yelling. It really rides the line between that grotesque body horror and something alien and intentionally not able to be understood, so many hands and fingers just sticking out randomly. Once the human enemies show up and start getting taken over like idiots, the gory screaming slashers from previous games return occasionally and when they do they have a huge impact!

edit: The lurker enemies for example, previously babies which attacked you with their own spinal vertebrae as projectiles, are now malformed sled dogs. Y'know, because nobody looking for alien artifacts on an ice planet would really have time to get it on!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jan 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Horror games are frequently a weird territory for me because I don't actually find most horror tropes scary (or upsetting or otherwise affecting). That includes gore, though I'm not necessarily a fan of overly realistic viscera either. So many games throw in some crazy body horror final boss and the only reason I'm sweating is because I'm low on healing items. I can get tense when the gameplay side of things turns up the heat, but I'm way more about spooky atmosphere and creepy little details.

My favorite go-to example is Left4Dead where I could take or leave the zombies, just let me explore abandoned urban locations in the middle of the night (or sun-drenched afternoon in the case of some of 2's maps).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The irony about horror in video games is that it's more effective when you DON'T die, but feel like you are in a constant state of danger. Once you get killed too many times you just start to see the big scary monster or whatever as an annoyance rather than a threat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont care for "realistic gore" but exaggerated violence is always cool.

I want to see body parts fly when I cut them with my katana and blood fountains up to the ceiling.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont care for "realistic gore" but exaggerated violence is always cool.

I want to see body parts fly when I cut them with my katana and blood fountains up to the ceiling.

This is basically what I was going to say in this rad discussion on hyper realistic gore. I want this poo poo to be silly. I want to shoot a man with a rocket launcher and for him to just explode into meat chunks. Ragdolls are always hilarious. The weird overly realistic depictions and long drawn out zooms and shots of it some games take these days just feel gratuitous, it's like being back in the early 2000's and the devs are those weirdos being like "check out this site called rotten dot com, it's got some real sick poo poo".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

The irony about horror in video games is that it's more effective when you DON'T die, but feel like you are in a constant state of danger. Once you get killed too many times you just start to see the big scary monster or whatever as an annoyance rather than a threat.

On the other hand, tension fatigue can be its own problem. You really gotta pace that poo poo out carefully.

There's a lot of games I can tell aren't for me because they're predicated on keeping the player tense at all times. Thanks, but I already live that life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

100%. Callisto's death animations actually make me a little upset because they are so clearly meant to be torturous to the player to watch by torturing the character until he's 'allowed' to be killed and the game fades to black. It ruins the narrative. Your failure state is desensitization to the absolute most important thing in the entire game world: the person you are steering around. If they're gonna show me his guts, and regularly, especially with these full-health grab attacks that suck you into such gory finishers, I'm gonna stop caring so much about his well being, the idiots.

edit: OG Dead Space was terrible about this and honestly it's a huge contributor to the problem. Isaac being Gordon Freeman style personality free enabled Visceral to get, well, visceral as they liked because he was basically a copper paper doll. The guy splats apart into segments from even minor hits that kill you without a grab. Excellent for immersion and building tension, but very easy to use in the wrong way.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Jan 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Feels like a parallel line to how people got weirdly defensive when Tomb Raider's nasty, lingering death scenes were (rightfully, imo) criticized. "Tomb Raider always had hosed up death scenes, it's tradition!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TR2013's death scenes were gratuitous but like 90% of the most offending sections came within the first couple hours, after which the game becomes a rather straightforward action romp. You can almost see exactly where in the script that the initial survival horror concept was snipped and remade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

exquisite tea posted:

Subnautica does this really well.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

John Murdoch posted:

On the other hand, tension fatigue can be its own problem. You really gotta pace that poo poo out carefully.

There's a lot of games I can tell aren't for me because they're predicated on keeping the player tense at all times. Thanks, but I already live that life.

I still like Subnautica for hitting this almost perfectly (for me). You're tense all the time early on, occasionally dying and losing some stuff, and then you get more gear, more bases, and then you have fewer but more intense periods of tension. It's a great game.

Oops I didn't update, but anyway this:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Subnautica does this really well.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Sorry for what is no doubt going to be a wall of text about a 22 years old game.

I'm reaching the end/post-game in FFX Remastered and the weight of a ton of problems is starting to really crush me down. I think the thing that drags the whole thing down is that the spread (pacing, maybe?) of the content is back-loaded way too much. Even if some of it is available early, pretty much all of the side content feels like it's supposed to be tackled at the very end of the game, which means that you can't use the rewards for anything but the very last few bosses.

The Blitzball minigame is unlocked really early in the game but your starting team is so bad that it makes the game really unfun (side-somplaint, I learned recently that there's a hidden "range" stat for each player that dictates how much randomness is applied to the stats that you can see (like a "7" pass being mysteriously blocked by a "5" block) and your starting team has horrible stats there too which makes the game so much worse and seemingly horribly unfair), and the way to make the game more bearable is to sign better players that you can find around the world. Honestly, if you actually like playing Blitzball it's not too bad; you can play a few games, progress the story, find new players and get gradually better, but if you want to play as little blitz as possible, you really should wait until you get the airship to do your recruiting because a.) a few very good players are in end game areas, b.) the airship makes getting around and returning to earlier areas much easier and c.) if you put too much work into blitzball early you're unlikely to want to reset the league data later on, which is the only way to cycle prizes. So you save blitz for last and Wakka only gets one overdrive (maybe 2; I think his second OD is guaranteed as a prize when you start playing blitzball) for 90% of the game.

You can't even start capturing monsters until you reach an area 75% into the game, and even then a lot of it is locked, again, behind getting the airship. Some of it is kinda fun (figuring out abilities to put on capture weapons to make your life easier or ways to get the final blow on fiends that have a ton of health) but most of it actually restricts you (can't use ODs, characters with low strength are near useless) and unless you want to keep shuffling your equipment all the time you're going to rock your capture weapons until you manage to capture all of the rarest enemy in each given area. You do get some good rewards even early on but the main appeal of those rewards is to customize armors and weapons and since they're one-time rewards you're probably better off waiting for the armors with 4 empty slots that you can only buy 85% through the game. Anyway, even if you don't want to min-max, the better one-time rewards all require you to capture monsters from end-game areas and the longer-term reward of arena creations that allow you to grind high level items require you to be post-game strong to even begin.

The "quests" for ultimate weapons start early but the very earliest you can finish your first one is about 75% through the game, at almost the same point you unlock monster capture. Thing is, you're probably going to want to use your capture weapons when you get to new areas and keep them until you're completely done, so you end up using your fancy weapons on only a handful of story bosses. Plus, a lot of those weapons can't be unlocked until you get the airship so you get to only use those on 3 regular bosses and the post-game.

Finally, the whole thing also feels kind of useless because all of these are absolutely overkill for any of the "base" game content, even Ultima and Omega weapons (which I've beaten by accident in this playthrough...), and the "International" content is more about crafting the right armor than grinding insane stats. I think the main issue here is the enormous gap between the difficulty in each version's content. in the "base" content you won't see a difference between "getting far-ish in the sphere grid" and "255 in every stat with auto-haste, auto-shell, auto-protect and ribbon and the ultimate weapon" because in either case everything dies in 2 hits and you're literally invincible, but for the Dark Aeons and Penance you need armor that protects against specific ailments and you need to open the fight with a specific mix and the fights start to resemble SMT gimmick bosses.

I'm also not the greatest fan of how the Dark Aeons prevent you from revisiting early areas. The game already has some pretty sizeable content that can be missed, sometimes permanently, but with the Dark Aeons, you can very easily make it so that one of your Aeons is missing its more powerful OD, one of your characters is missing their last OD, you can miss out on an Aeon which in turn blocks you from one of your character's ultimate weapon and, a pretty odd one, one of the Dark Aeons blocks the only area where you can capture a specific enemy type, but you can't capture enemies at all until after the Dark Aeons appear, so you almost can't complete the captures until you can beat them. Luckily there's a tiny, optional area that you can unlock from the airship where you can find that particular enemy but it definitely feels like an oversight. A few of the Dark Aeons also lock you into a fight with no warning when you get close so that's a great way to lose progress the first time you encounter them.

I've complained about it when I started the game but the PC version advertises that you can skip cutscenes and speed up the game, both very good things for repeat playthroughs because FFX is a god drat slog, but the only cutscenes that you can skip are FMVs, which no joke last 5 seconds each, and none of the hours of in-engine ones can be skipped, and the fast forward feature while still very useful keeps getting slowed down by every little thing. You can't speed up cutscenes, you can speed up the overworld but you get back to real time when you talk to NPCs, open chests, transition to a new screen, etc., and you can speed up battles but you get back to real time for ODs, when your Aeon dies or for some other animations. You also get back to real time any time there's in-battle dialogue but the audio doesn't play so it just looks like the game soft-locked for a few seconds.

It's a shame because I love the sphere grid, I love 95% of the CTB, I love the inner workings of the game but it suffers so much from being released in 2001. It was too expensive to not make it linear, the technology was too new which is why even 20 years later they can't let you skip cutscenes without the game exploding and when they realized that they needed more, harder bosses they went way too wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The international edition added content is all complete junk and I say this as a person who kinda likes it