Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tiny Myers posted:

This is a cool page!

I think there's something to be said here about how Kat is very often placed with the Court and on the technology side of things, symbolically - she's very firmly on the opposite side of the ether, unable to see it or interact with it except for in a very simplified way

Although on the other hand, this kinda makes her more adept at interacting with it than many because etheric realms are all converted into mundane things she can excel at (e.g., even Annie, a partial elemental spirit person, was baffled at a bunch of RotD bullshit that Kat could treat as everyday technology).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

This is a cool page!

I think there's something to be said here about how Kat is very often placed with the Court and on the technology side of things, symbolically - she's very firmly on the opposite side of the ether, unable to see it or interact with it except for in a very simplified way - whereas Zimmy is the closest thing to Coyote we have right now, as far as being more representative of the ether and how wild and hosed up it can get, and is being targeted as a source of ether by the court. Like something something magic being killed by sterile science. I dunno, it's 4 am.

It's a cool twist with cool thematic implications and I'm interested to see how it plays out. I feel like it's hard to imagine Kat doing A Murder on purpose unless it was to protect someone she loved.

It's interesting how Gamma is being positioned as a very passive observer here, with no surprise in her expression. She's already resigned to the possibility of Zimmy dying? It would be nice to see Gamma get more agency, and in general I wonder what Gamma would even do if Zimmy died.

Yeah it's a nice menacing page. It's pretty much the same dilemma as whatever is going on with Loup and Lana, but it's with characters we're attached to and would very much like to see survive so it's a better application of that problem, at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So embittered by years of steady decline thinnening that I'm only able to receive the first good page in a while with cynicism.

I am refusing to allow myself to hope that we're about to see some of the plot on screen and finally catch up on what's been going on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

So embittered by years of steady decline thinnening that I'm only able to receive the first good page in a while with cynicism.

I am refusing to allow myself to hope that we're about to see some of the plot on screen and finally catch up on what's been going on.

For me, the mere mention of Loup was enough to crater the impact of what is otherwise a very cool page.

Like, if this was the conflict? If the last hundreds of pages set up a situation where Annie thought her best friend was gonna do a murder and she had to stop it? gently caress, that sounds so much more fun and interesting then what we've gotten.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Imagine if we go to the end of 2022 and not a single actual stabbing

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Loup has consistently been the worst OC.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

Imagine if we go to the end of 2022 and not a single actual stabbing

mission accomplished.

unless someone actually got stabbed last year I forget

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Twenty Four posted:

mission accomplished.

unless someone actually got stabbed last year I forget

This was the first page of 2022 - We had just met Jerrek and Lana, and Shell was info dumping about how cool and hot Aata is and how she totally doesn't have a crush on him the shadowmen and what her and Aata's roles in them were, and some hints about what their goals are.

In 2022 we got / learned:
-Info on shadowmen / Shell and Aata
-The alleyway scene
-Infodump that Annie knows what the Omega Device is, I guess
-Weird love triangle between Loup Lana and Annie (that went nowhere because Annie was not interested in Loup at all)
-The attempt to capture Loup that led Loup killing Reynard's body, oh noooo
-Robot knows who Jerrek / Loup is
-We learn about the star ocean, non-etheric people can leave on it
-Jerrek gets hosed up if he gets too close to the star ocean, Lana saves him. He reveals his identity and now they're DATING
-Ocean is reconfigured from Coyote/Loup to target Zimmy
-Annie meets Jack and Jenny, they summon up Zimmy who already knows what's going on

And here we are.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kat gives Zimmy a brownie, unaware of the latter’s peanut allergy

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just expect the most contrived way possible.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Kat will "kill" Zimmy by removing her etheric abilities or something. Or Kat'll do something to Omega that inadvertently hurts Zimmy because Zimmy will be etherically connected to the device. My third guess is that there will be Norn trickery lol.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It turns out that letting the machine goddess play around with Omega was exactly what was needed to get it going again and lock the universe into complete causal determinism.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Kat being as much of a project as Annie was makes a twisted sort of sense. They did get in the same class together.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Called it.

CJacobs posted:

Can we start dinging the comic for art mistakes now that a foreground character lacks her eyebrows? I swear that there's no nitpicking going on here, these used to be rarer.

Otherwise though I wonder if this is meant to imply the Court is creating their own version of Loup, since they're leaving this world for their own. They don't want gods and ethers but they need One of some kind to break physics and plant that bismuth seed, I assume. Hopefully mecha genius Kat doesn't end up the catalyst for it now that Loup is Off The Chain off the hook

Yeah I'm out, I dunno how to phrase this gently so apologies but it genuinely seems Tom picked up a co-author or something. Contrived as hell way to push a confrontation. Still just casually removing characters from the pool once they've said their plot relevant information. In case this is my last post about it though I will say for the duration it's been a wonderful comic that entertained me and was something to look forward to for literally a dozen years of my life. So it still gets huge credit from me for that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 13, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'll agree with the above post that it feels a bit contrived and I don't have faith in the execution, but at the same, like, at least poo poo is happening. So at least for right now, I'm invested and cautiously optimistic.

But I totally sympathize with anyone who's decided to drop it. Thanks for posting with us, CJacobs! Best of luck finding better comics. :lovebird:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Now Jenny is just being unreasonable here. She picked that spot herself!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Well that went off rails very fast.
Guys, you started the summon right next to the star ocean! You were vaguely aware of what it could do! You agreed to this and executed the plan. Why are you chewing out Anni? :psyduck:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh boy, this conflict sure doesn't feel forced. Not one bit, no sir.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this comic's so loving stupid

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh boy, this conflict sure doesn't feel forced. Not one bit, no sir.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Can you believe we almost got back on track to a good story maybe.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

once again my hypercynical stubbornness proves victorious

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Note Block posted:

Can you believe we almost got back on track to a good story maybe.

Good thing we've got contrived drama to save us from that fate!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
this comic's notion of which conflicts should be resolved as quickly as possible and which ones need to be lingered on sure is something

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The only thing that would make this scene work is the reveal that these two are being blackmailed or otherwise forced by the court to find Zimmy, and have decided to use Annie as an emotional patsy or something. Someone they can blame to try and shift the guilt to. That would kind of fit what is otherwise a very clear attempt at gaslighting her. But because the court is as an antagonist shadowy to the point of non-existence, it is hard to imagine this setup coming about. And this post is basically the bargaining stage anyway.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I love that on top of this out of nowhere confrontation, they're still missing the point that Kat's the one they should be worried about, along with whatever series of events require both Zimmy and Loup to die.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Hell yeah forced conflict due to a wacky misunderstanding and nobody talking to each other! Everyone loves this trope.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now Jenny is just being unreasonable here. She picked that spot herself!

Lmao right? I guess they'll say Annie asked to meet them near the ocean. But if everyone knew the Star Ocean's effects, why the hell say that spot is good??

This is so loving stupid. This requires our characters to forget everything they know about each other and their past experiences together, including the conversations they just had. Though when they met up with Annie, they declared , "Yeah we know everything, no need to talk details :smug: ", which I guess was necessary for this forced conflict bullshit. Being near Zimmy was the only excuse the comic had for Jenny and Jack to get instantly accusatory, and she's gone now.

God this comic is so stupid and boring now.

Edited for clarity.

Edited to add:
I just had to check the official forums because they tend to love everything, and it's confusion and coping ("maybe it's Zimmy's illusion") there too lol.

catapede fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 16, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah this is honestly a sadder page to me than a lot of what came before because these are clearly characters that the author is still invested in and has energy for - a complete redesign for one of them to a very particular look points to that, like with Shell - but this conversation is disjointed and contrived, and that makes me feel like there’s no ‘getting back on track.’ Loup’s not around, we got a fantastic Zimmy page, these are clearly characters (specifically, two couples) the author’s still invested in, and this page is still bad dialogue and bad plot. And kinda bad paneling, or at least a really boring and uncommunicative way to structure this kind of argument.

It feels like there’s no hope here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Annie would not let people roll over her like this unless they were her dad

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Truly not much I can say on this page that hasn't already been well-articulated by others.

I hope it was apparent from my recent posts that I was genuinely hopeful and trying to avoid cynicism about this, but like... wow. "Contrived" is most certainly the word.

In any other comic, this would be such a huge "okay, something's up, here! This is a setup! What an obvious contradiction!". But it really says something about Gunnerkrigg that all that good faith is just gone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

Truly not much I can say on this page that hasn't already been well-articulated by others.

I hope it was apparent from my recent posts that I was genuinely hopeful and trying to avoid cynicism about this, but like... wow. "Contrived" is most certainly the word.

In any other comic, this would be such a huge "okay, something's up, here! This is a setup! What an obvious contradiction!". But it really says something about Gunnerkrigg that all that good faith is just gone.
Yeah if this was gunnerkrigg pre-norns I'd be absolutely assuming this was some kind of zimmy-fuckery. Maybe it still is! But I miss when my gut reaction would have been the good kind of "oh god what is happening"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This makes me sad. :(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
We had a cool looking page just a few days ago and this conflict could have been perfectly explained by Zimmy being Zimmy, why didnt he take the easiest out in gunnerkrigg history. It feels like the comic is deliberately trying people's patience at this point, in a way that would be a good troll if it were funny or self aware. But it isnt.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

It would have been so fuckin easy to have Annie suggest they go somewhere private. Then have her lead them there and say "Will this do?"

Like, it was only like 2-3 weeks ago! It was have been trivial to set this up more believably!

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
This thread is getting really weird. Why is almost everyone assuming bad writing and doom-posting when it is really obvious something weird is going on?

If it does turn out to be an actual writing mistake to force a conflict that doesn't make sense though..oh god...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

DontMindMe posted:

This thread is getting really weird. Why is almost everyone assuming bad writing and doom-posting when it is really obvious something weird is going on?

It's actually not v. weird that anyone would lack trust in the narrative turning out to make sense at this point imho

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

If it does turn out to be an actual writing mistake to force a conflict that doesn't make sense though..oh god...

Remember when Annie, Kat and Renard took two robot children they were barely acquainted with on a random halfassed Loup-hunting expedition? Remember how a lot of people thought there's no way our protagonists were being that dumb, so this was clearly a setup. We're still waiting for whatever twist makes that sequence less bad. We definitely surmised a lot of them at the time, which haven't panned out. (Like, she must actually know Jerrek is Loup and she's playing him. But nope.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 16, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DontMindMe posted:

Why is almost everyone assuming bad writing and doom-posting when it is really obvious something weird is going on?

It's because the writing is bad.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

we've been trying to have hope for.... oh my god it's years now. mind cage ended in may 2021. it's been this slow, horrible, confusing decline. i'm waiting for your crow eating moment, just like what'stheriface did a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I mean tbc I would love for the story to make this all make sense and prove the haters wrong because I do not want Gunnerkrigg to suck! But betting on the seemingly idiotic plot developments actually having an eventually-revealed well-written explanation has not been a winning move so far.