Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im going to be making more attempts at the drat thing before I make a post asking for advice. But hitting da bricks is my mantra.

He is very scary though.

I will ask this: How do you avoid his magma frontal shockwave?

Every attack has the effect and it has a huge range, including jump attacks, I usually rely on my tried and true strategy of Staying The gently caress Away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Darth Walrus posted:

Option C is to just keep your distance and run outside the area of effect, because your spear's range is excellent.

Epic High Five posted:

Every attack has the effect and it has a huge range, including jump attacks, I usually rely on my tried and true strategy of Staying The gently caress Away

Doomykins posted:

DON'T LIKE IT? HIT DA BRICKS

Your advice did not go un noticed.

:siren: I pop off on my mic at the end. Beware headphone users.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVxqEZPnXAI

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yall ever get owned so hard while trying to help with a boss that you don't turn your summon back on for 10 minutes because you don't want the same player to see your sign and think "hah, not that dipshit again"

Got creamed by the NG+ cat statue in the very first tomb

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yall ever get owned so hard while trying to help with a boss that you don't turn your summon back on for 10 minutes because you don't want the same player to see your sign and think "hah, not that dipshit again"

i once helped some poor bastard clear godrick effectively three times because he died literally right as godrick was like, two hits from death and i couldn't actually kill him in time for it to count both times he summoned me

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
rykard becomes a joke if you have the mimic tear, since it'll copy the serpent hunter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wish there was a better indicator of where the messages you leave are, just logged into my very first one after ages to see

Didn't expect pauper
but
Praise precious item!

or similar, has 1500 dang likes and I have no idea what I was talking about and can't without going over all of Volcano Manor lol

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

big cummers ONLY posted:

Lol. Yeah. It hits for real damage the second time around.

I know this must have happened to me, but I'm usually eager to come back and prove I'm not terrible, really! Sometimes you just get destroyed, it happens!

And I have done the opposite. Purposely stopped helping for 10 minutes because the dipshit could not learn after 4 attempts to not run straight at the boss and do nothing defensive. I can't save people from stupid!

What bothers me most is hosts who just do nothing. Sometimes solo'ing the final fight for someone is awesome, but I gotta be built to do that, and I'm wearing a gimmick costume, bud. You gotta work with me here.

Melania is a big exception. Many people will only survive that fight if you can be the guy who dodges Waterfowl dance. They can die 8 times I don't hold it against them, and I understand that they might want to stand back a bit. (But please do sooooomething)

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Wish there was a better indicator of where the messages you leave are, just logged into my very first one after ages to see

Didn't expect pauper
but
Praise precious item!

or similar, has 1500 dang likes and I have no idea what I was talking about and can't without going over all of Volcano Manor lol

If I had to guess based of that message, maybe the dagger talisman or the albinauric mask.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

Your advice did not go un noticed.

:siren: I pop off on my mic at the end. Beware headphone users.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVxqEZPnXAI

Excellently fought. I thought you had that 2nd bite dodge, that 3rd bite hitting but giving you iframes for the projectiles was pretty funny tho.

War Wizard posted:

If I had to guess based of that message, maybe the dagger talisman or the albinauric mask.

I feel like it might be in that room with the one zombie and one dead on the bed with an item, but the mask yeah maybe it was there. Will be a fun project!

On my current guy "Why is it always stone astrolabe?" with the Dejection emote placed in front of all the stone astrolabes (but especially the ones in Caria and Raya) has been a real workhorse

I think people like it because it's how they find out what those things are.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I have a character for co-op that's just a regular soldier (I change which outfit/name to match the local faction) and I leave messages with him in places like soldier camps that would reference players' likely actions. This usually means a lot of cowering emots with "I've failed" or "Didn't expect ambush"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

War Wizard posted:

I have a character for co-op that's just a regular soldier (I change which outfit/name to match the local faction) and I leave messages with him in places like soldier camps that would reference players' likely actions. This usually means a lot of cowering emots with "I've failed" or "Didn't expect ambush"

lol that's cool. does the message remember your outfit when you make it, or will it update dynamically?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

lol that's cool. does the message remember your outfit when you make it, or will it update dynamically?

it records your current look and uses that indefinitely, iirc

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Can y'all recommend some good youtube LP's of this game? I've watched woolieversus and day9 LPs last year and found both pretty fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
My co op shield tank build is going well, helped many people. It's really fun using the effigy sign and not knowing where you're gonna end up or what you'll do. Sometimes it's fight invaders, sometimes bossing, sometimes just fighting tough enemies or helping open up shortcuts. Doing all my own bosses solo with no summons, which is much easier when you're a shield tank.

I was thinking while riding around that you skip over so much stuff especially when you've finished the game before, you don't get the same sense of place as the earlier DS games. I thought it could be cool to do a run where you don't use torrent and try to fast travel as little as possible. Basically try and make the whole thing one big journey as opposed to warping around just picking up the items you want. Probably will never have enough free time to try it, but it's a nice thought.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Late to the party here. The reason I held off was that Bloodborne was my first experience of From and it drove me crazy. Never have I hated a game more. I absolutely loved everything about it’s worldbuilding and atmosphere and style but I just could not get into the combat. I got as far as Gasgoine, on multiple playthroughs and kept walking away, hugely frustrated that the game would not allow me to explore this crazy, beautiful world further.

All I can say is I am so glad I decided to take the plunge on ER. Not only is it an incredible game , it has - by allowing me to explore and follow the tips in this thread (currently around page 400 and continuing to read as I move onto Liurnia) - get the hang of Soulsbourne combat and git gud. Taking down Godfrey seems incredible to me compared to how loving bad I was at BB.

So, Thankyou thread, and Thankyou From for making a game that is not only incredible but now makes me want to dig out Bloodborne and go back to it with my new found skillz.

What a game.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

smellmycheese posted:

Late to the party here. The reason I held off was that Bloodborne was my first experience of From and it drove me crazy. Never have I hated a game more. I absolutely loved everything about it’s worldbuilding and atmosphere and style but I just could not get into the combat. I got as far as Gasgoine, on multiple playthroughs and kept walking away, hugely frustrated that the game would not allow me to explore this crazy, beautiful world further.

All I can say is I am so glad I decided to take the plunge on ER. Not only is it an incredible game , it has - by allowing me to explore and follow the tips in this thread (currently around page 400 and continuing to read as I move onto Liurnia) - get the hang of Soulsbourne combat and git gud. Taking down Godfrey seems incredible to me compared to how loving bad I was at BB.

So, Thankyou thread, and Thankyou From for making a game that is not only incredible but now makes me want to dig out Bloodborne and go back to it with my new found skillz.

What a game.

I had a similar experience, then I had a friend sit down with me while I played and showed me how I was being stupid and just trying to run in and kill everything instead of like, using my pebbles even, and drawing one person at a time. And they recommended epic name bro’s videos where he slowly walked through each area which was an even better example of how incorrectly I was playing the game. Then I played it non stop and platinumed the game, and it became my favorite combat of all time, until Sekiro which is probably still my favorite combat system in a game. Margit is way harder than Gascoigne imo and Godfrey probably is too, you’d probably do well now if you played Bloodborne again.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Can y'all recommend some good youtube LP's of this game? I've watched woolieversus and day9 LPs last year and found both pretty fun.

I hate him and he has lovely ideas about games and politics in general, but Dr disrespect’s short, edited videos of his streams were very funny, I thought, just because he’d never played a souls game, or really like that many non FPS/competitive online games before that, so he’s just constantly saying how incredible and mind blowing the art and the level designs and the character designs, etc. are, and it’s just amusing to see someone experience a from soft game for the first time and express it like that. Also he hated the combat after the first 8 or maybe 15 hours of streaming it, and he said the combat felt sluggish and unresponsive, but then he started to understand that it’s about stamina management and he started to enjoy it. So starting around this point it seems like hes into it (should be in a playlist with the rest of them)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn94MUJuttg

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 12, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah, Elden Ring is basically Dark Souls 3 pushed to the next level, in the sense you have to dodge and hunt for openings. But in Bloodborne, you can actually get away with overwhelming aggression and just mash your way out of danger. Like I just got knocked off a ledge by a snakehead next to two large snake balls, and I thought to myself "oh I'm dead now". But I just mashed R1 with a Tonitrus, and somehow I survived. I didn't even need to refresh my flasks, I continued on, unlocked the shortcut, then killed Shadows of Yharnam by mashing saw cleaver transform attacks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Late to the party here. The reason I held off was that Bloodborne was my first experience of From and it drove me crazy. Never have I hated a game more. I absolutely loved everything about it’s worldbuilding and atmosphere and style but I just could not get into the combat.

What the gently caress.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Kind of funny how you can get summoned to Rykard even if you haven't picked up the spear yet, sorry Tarnished all I could do was sit back and spam "Ur Beautiful" and occasionally get a swipe during his head slam!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Best Rykard summon I ever saw was some guy named SNAKE EATER who was just a naked dude with a headband who appeared to somehow be dual wielding the serpent spear (I later learned that powerstancing it with another greatspear apparently causes both to produce the beams). He did a fuckton of damage to Rykard in phase 1 and then did the balled up gesture when the host immediately ate poo poo in phase 2

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

RTGame had one with a completely deranged start, think he ended up hitting the trap chest first and the first boss he faced was the Caelid divine tower godskin

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Vermain posted:

it records your current look and uses that indefinitely, iirc

Yeah, this. I have some other RP notes, and I've seen others. Dressed up as poo-eater to disrespect some corpses, and Melania to give props for beating Mohg.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Epic High Five posted:

RTGame had one with a completely deranged start, think he ended up hitting the trap chest first and the first boss he faced was the Caelid divine tower godskin

Same, actually, I think I was level 8, totally missed the church, the sentinel, and even the guy who calls you maidenless, and I got shown the Roundtable in Caelid on the shores of the rot-lake.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I was thinking while riding around that you skip over so much stuff especially when you've finished the game before, you don't get the same sense of place as the earlier DS games. I thought it could be cool to do a run where you don't use torrent and try to fast travel as little as possible. Basically try and make the whole thing one big journey as opposed to warping around just picking up the items you want. Probably will never have enough free time to try it, but it's a nice thought.

A streamer I watch, Saint Riot, did a no fast travel run on his first, blind playthrough because he wanted to really take in the world. He immediately got transported to Caelid and hadn’t even unlocked Torrent yet. Spent hours just running around in starting gear trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, it was magical.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

What the gently caress.

?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Lol, I just remembered someone thought this was a bad game because the first thing they did was pick a fight with Varre and he just repeatedly destroys them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

John Lee posted:

Same, actually, I think I was level 8, totally missed the church, the sentinel, and even the guy who calls you maidenless, and I got shown the Roundtable in Caelid on the shores of the rot-lake.

Before they changed it, you used to have to hit a certain grace to get that prompt so you could feasibly wander around for tens of hours without a horse or being able to level up or get to the hold lol, that's what happened to him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bloodborne has probably the best combat of all time it's bizarre that's the thing to bounce off of. I was skeptical of it going in because I don't parry but once I did it was a revelation.

A buddy just bought the game despite not being a Souls gamer and a bunch of us are playing the game with him via the seamless mod and it's been a blast. Definitely recommend it despite some bizarre buginess at times.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 12, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

John Lee posted:

I don't think that can really be laid on FromSoft, as all of those are placed directly in front of the player as they exit the intro area, plus the guidance of grace pointing players to the church.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Ive been sick the past week and have been gorging fromsoft lore videos which sorta culminated in a string of eldenring lore videos yesterday and this morning and. Heres what i have to say. Everything in my gut told me that elden ring would be a huge jump the shark moment in souls adjacent gaming. How the gently caress did they manage to surpass bloodborne in creating the most unhinged and needlessly deep intricate expansive lore, the kind that only increased replay value as you read more into it. God loving damnit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think that can really be laid on FromSoft, as all of those are placed directly in front of the player as they exit the intro area, plus the guidance of grace pointing players to the church.

Which is why new players to the genre died to the sentinel then talked to Santa, while a bunch of veterans of the genre immediately wandered into a super poison swamp to die a hundred times an hour

I think the tutorial has seen two updates to assure people it isn't a trap

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

War Wizard posted:

Lol, I just remembered someone thought this was a bad game because the first thing they did was pick a fight with Varre and he just repeatedly destroys them.

Lmao does he stay hostile after you die?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lmao does he stay hostile after you die?

Yeah of course, he’s like any other npc in a souls game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m not sure how all the multiplicative negation damages work, but if I have Crucible Feather Talisman + Dragoncrest Greatshiekd Talisman, I’m only losing 10% negation, correct?

I may change my Sunbro character to be full Tragoth’s Armor + Giantcrusher and go all defense and rolling with Shabriri’s talisman to be a tank for other players. I think the extra rolling iframes would help, but it’s a lot of damage negation lost with feather talisman.

And I’ll need a to. If endurance (maybe 45~) to run all that gear without Great Jar Charm.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Accidentally thought Deeproot Depths was an end game area and put it off for awhile, just blitzed through it in my SL 150/+25 weapons set up lol. It's just as well, I don't like ancient dragon fights circa ER, grateful for that one shot.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bloodborne has probably the best combat of all time it's bizarre that's the thing to bounce off of. I was skeptical of it going in because I don't parry but once I did it was a revelation.

Bloodborne has a pretty harsh intro if you're a Soulslike babby and it's still harsh even if you're experienced. No shield to hide behind, no bow to pick apart crowds(we've all got that moment before we realize the true power of hitting da bricks), you need 1 insight to level up and I can think of at least four spots that kicked my newbie rear end trying to fight by them legit to reach Church Beast which.. I didn't, I wandered elsewhere, which is totally possible and I discovered Church Beast existed like 6 hours in randomly, thank goodness I could pick up insight from bodies and stuff. Also blood vials being finite if you're particularly bad starting out(I picked up on doing laps and farming one of the wheelchair gun guys pretty early) and last but not least for awhile your weapon pool is 4 deep and two are very similar. Yes they're greatly designed weapons but my own favorites were further in, I still wanted for the Double Sword or the Hammer Sword before things really clicked.

Now the poster got to Gascoin where you should be able to level a bit to take the edge off but he's also a ruthless newbie filter too. :v: I must've died 10 times to the starter crowds and 10+ more to Gascoin before I started to develop wrinkles in my brain.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 12, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m not sure how all the multiplicative negation damages work, but if I have Crucible Feather Talisman + Dragoncrest Greatshiekd Talisman, I’m only losing 10% negation, correct?

the way to calculate it is to take all the mitigation factors (which is calculated as 1 - (mitigation% / 100) ) and then multiply them, so 1.3 * 0.8 = 1.04, meaning that you have -4% damage mitigation at the end of it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

crucible feather talisman is worth it if you're SL1 or otherwise have very low health so everything one-shots you anyway, so you want your rolls to be the best possible to give you better margins of error. otherwise the opportunity cost of 1 talisman slot to have +30% incoming damage or 2 talisman slots to mitigate the incoming damage penalty isn't worth it at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just beat the poo poo out of the last Deathrite Bird with +9 Beastclaw Greathammer and +Jump Talisman, 4 digits per strike, get out of my primary playthrough with these god drat super death zone aoes!!!

Got through the Ordina Gaol, that was an experience. I'm almost done exhausting the game so all that's left is reporting how bad super bosses kick my rear end. Ah, this is what it's all about. My build is pretty complete though so hey, what else is there to do but break my teeth on the Nameless Kings of the world?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finnish Flasher posted:

Carbot Animations Elden Ring series is way good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Mustached Demon posted:

Carbot Animations Elden Ring series is way good.

Beep beep!