Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

The blueprint designer is actually too small to make an intersection of basically any size. To be clear a 4x4 grid is large enough to fit alot of turns, but to start a turn you need a piece of straight track already in place and the minimum size track + a turn is too big and will overlap the designer and it won't let you build it.

Making turns/intersections actually isn't that bad on the fly if everything is at the same height. My tracks always run down the middle of a foundation, so if I want what is close to a minimum size turn I'll extend the foundation 3 more forward, and 2 to whichever way to want to go, and boom you have a scaffold for a perfect 3x3 right angle turn. You can make perfect right angle turns up to 8x8 foundations I think without the track being too long.

Yes, for players like you and me it is absolutely game critical.

You're probably not doing anything wrong with the roof. The snapping rules in this game can be wonky. If you can't get it to snap one way I suggest making a scaffold so you can snap it where you want another way if that makes sense.

uggh I started out with a station and made a beeline to a new station, with a bypass loop for each. without having the whole area covered in foundations to make the intersections its drat near impossible. I am okay with laying track in the air and backfilling some 'support' later for aesthetic purposes , but getting a level set of stations delivering 'stuff' is an issue so far. And im already finding it not extendable unless i preplan a large area with multi station layouts.

Taking items from on high to the ground level is also being a bit annoying, as i lack some imagination on how to do this in a visually pleasing manor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Trains work a lot better with two single direction tracks with stations separate from the dual track. It just future proofs your lines when you expand later and makes the signaling much easier. Not sure what you mean by ground level, but you can use conveyor walls and have the lifts inside the tower if you don’t like the look of them going down.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Trains work a lot better with two single direction tracks with stations separate from the dual track. It just future proofs your lines when you expand later and makes the signaling much easier. Not sure what you mean by ground level, but you can use conveyor walls and have the lifts inside the tower if you don’t like the look of them going down.

I started a train station on my main bse in dune desert to start with a builder train as i moved along. I slowly went up to clear most obstacles to have as straight a track as possible. Honestly now sure of the aesthetic i want here yet

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ice Fist posted:

Handling interior lighting and indoor smoke is purely an aesthetics thing. It has no practical effect on graphics or how your factories run. Like - if you enclose a smelter, the inside isn't going to become unbreathable air or something or become any harder to see. The game doesn't handle that.

Actually, what's up with smelter and foundry smoke? Is it gone for everyone, or just me? They don't belch black smoke anymore, just little spark wisps.

I'm playing on linux now, and I'd write it off to imperfect compatibility, except that refineries and coal generators and other stuff still have smoke. It's only the smelters and foundries.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Have you ever been playing this game without any sound, been happily working on a project, when SUDDENLY JESUS loving CHRIST A STINGER HAS JUST JUMPED INTO MY FACE HOLY gently caress DROP NUKES EVERYWHERE NUKE EVERYTHING KILL IT ALL

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Smart mod hard to use? Also anyone had it gently caress up a save or do weird poo poo? It looks really well supported. When I was trying to lay out some long rear end conveyors yesterday it was pretty tedious and the layout and camera tools look pretty handy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 11, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

zoux posted:

Is Smart mod hard to use? Also anyone had it gently caress up a save or do weird poo poo? It looks really well supported. When I was trying to lay out some long rear end conveyors yesterday it was pretty tedious and the layout and camera tools look pretty handy.

It's incredibly easy to use and shouldn't break anything. The autosnapping can be a bit jarring at first but it saves a lot of time.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Definitely play around with it a bit to understand what/how the different things will mess with, since you can pretty easily build things through your base that you don't intend to and it will generally happily clip through everything. Also holding a modifier key like "p" and hitting the arrow keys will shift between only effecting X axis, X+Y, or whatever combo.

I've had some extra crashes on autosave when it does it in the middle of building some large structure a couple times, not sure if it's due to the mod or just random.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Are there any cheat sheets around to tell me things like how many fuel power stations a single pure oil well can support?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dravs posted:

Are there any cheat sheets around to tell me things like how many fuel power stations a single pure oil well can support?

https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Fuel_Generator#Generators_per_node

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Started a new save a few days ago and decided to have some fun with the caterium factoryL

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ran into a fun bug today. If you have a bunch of machines on a sub-grid (as in - attached to a power switch) and approach them with a hoverpack activated they will turn off momentarily because since the hoverpack draws 100MW the subgrid doesn't have enough power to run the machines and the hoverpack until the game supplies more power to the subgrid from the main grid.

It's apparently already reported, and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but as a lover of power switches it sure gave me fits thinking I had built something wrong.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ice Fist posted:

Ran into a fun bug today. If you have a bunch of machines on a sub-grid (as in - attached to a power switch) and approach them with a hoverpack activated they will turn off momentarily because since the hoverpack draws 100MW the subgrid doesn't have enough power to run the machines and the hoverpack until the game supplies more power to the subgrid from the main grid.

It's apparently already reported, and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but as a lover of power switches it sure gave me fits thinking I had built something wrong.

Huh, that must be a semi-recent thing. I've never seen that happen before U7, and most of my factories put production behind power switches. Maybe they're doing some sort of work optimizing power grids? Sounds like a thing you'd get from lazy updates to grid use.

(A persistent problem on the subreddit for a while was people building ludicrously huge power storage banks and then discovering that those consume CPU cycles.)

Lights that flick off (or on) when the hoverpack connects to them is a long-standing bug, seen that plenty of times.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

Huh, that must be a semi-recent thing. I've never seen that happen before U7, and most of my factories put production behind power switches. Maybe they're doing some sort of work optimizing power grids? Sounds like a thing you'd get from lazy updates to grid use.

(A persistent problem on the subreddit for a while was people building ludicrously huge power storage banks and then discovering that those consume CPU cycles.)

Lights that flick off (or on) when the hoverpack connects to them is a long-standing bug, seen that plenty of times.

I think it might also have something to do with light switches. Anyways, according to satisfactory QA reports it's been a thing for a while, but I agree that I never noticed it until U7

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/638f6910ca608e080352848d

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ice Fist posted:

I think it might also have something to do with light switches. Anyways, according to satisfactory QA reports it's been a thing for a while, but I agree that I never noticed it until U7

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/638f6910ca608e080352848d

Oh, that! Yeah, that's the same thing as the lights flickering. It's just the one machine you connect to that's pausing, not the whole sub-grid. And it's been around since the hoverpack was added.

It's not really "turning off" the machines -- definitely not in the same way you see if you flip the power off for a second. Machines with a startup cycle don't have to restart. They just pause their production as if their output buffer was full.

And I don't think the root problem is that the sub-grid doesn't have enough power. It's more likely to be a behind-the-scenes thing. Hoverpack connections definitely force an update to whatever they connect to -- that's why they do weird things to lights.That forced update probably interrupts one cycle of the normal machine functions (production and handling the inputs/outputs).

Anyways it's a pretty minor bug. Personally I get much more annoyed by the light flicker than a machine having a 1 second pause.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

Oh, that! Yeah, that's the same thing as the lights flickering. It's just the one machine you connect to that's pausing, not the whole sub-grid.

Nope, it's a bunch of machines. If I approach a bank of refineries in my new aluminum ingot plant, they all turn off momentarily. Same thing with a bank of foundries.

But yeah, it's an annoyance more than anything. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a design issue or miscalculation or something so if I leave it's producing the right amount of stuff.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Thanks for this, it allowed me to setup a decentralised power plant on the coast with like 12 fuel power stations. Although I've just unlocked Turbo Fuel so I might have to rip it up and start again :/

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Wait until you're pushing your current power numbers, then build out a turbofuel plant you can swap the crude over to in sections is what I think I'd advise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone got any tricks for laying long conveyors? Also, how far away is too far and better to wait for trains?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Anyone got any tricks for laying long conveyors? Also, how far away is too far and better to wait for trains?

Plan out the route, so you know where to turn and where to handle slopes.
Sometimes it's easier to walk backwards while placing the belts.
I like raising the poles 2 or 3 levels if I'm just running belts over the bare ground, it makes it easier to pass under them instead of having to jump over them.
1000 m is the distance where I might start to consider using vehicles instead, but I wouldn't bother with trains until about 2000 m, or if there are a lot of different item types you want to move the same route.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

zoux posted:

8 seems to be the magic number of grids for everything. I run super long belts all the time, same with liquid. Make sure to gate your liquid off though since that mechanic is bilateral. Meaning it will run either direction to include height up to a certain point. Valves or pumps will gate a liquid pipe and create a new bilateral system on the same pipe line. Always over produce for your pipeline requirements. Example. If your setup requires 500 water per run, then produce 550. Liquid is a frustrating thing as it fills where it fits when it's in it's filling pipes stage. For tracks, you may have to start them off in a weird spot then delete them once you have some track placed. They work similarly to pipes in the bilateral sense except they apply a different rule of being occupied. always use blocks after any junctions and use pathing nodes for any entrance junctions to the same track systems. preferably don't have one railway system with two trains if there is a point to point connection, it will jam or crash. make it one way tracks to whichever direction preference you want for your train system to work. but running a conveyor vs a train really depends on how the specifics of that system is setup. both work in different magnitudes and can work in the same capacity unless power requirements are at hand.

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 14, 2023

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

zoux posted:

My best tip is to use stackable conveyor poles for long belt runs. It takes a bit longer than just using the regular belt tool but it makes it way to easier and more organized to run multiple belts to link two bases together.
Max belt length is pretty subjective, I've tied together entire regions with arteries of belts and pneumatic tubes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Belts should require power for sure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Also, how far away is too far and better to wait for trains?

How far is too far is an entirely personal opinion. Some people do nothing but conveyors across the whole map. If you're ok with floating foundations you can just make a sky-road from wherever to wherever and it's pretty easy to have lots of conveyors.

Myself, I hate cross-country conveyors on aesthetic grounds, so I will do trucks/tractors rather than conveyors for anything more than a few hundred meters. That's unusually short by most people's standards.

The thing about long-distance conveyors is they have no network effect. Trains you link up locations A B & C with rails and it's a lot of work, but then adding point D is much easier.

Trains are great for long-range transport, but they have their own complications so it's not like they're the perfect solution to everything. The main thing is train stations are real big so it's not like you can transport 50 different item types between A and B (unless you are doing mixed items trains, which works but is its own can of worms).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder if more people would use trucks if they didn't need fuel or just needed to charge from grid or something.

Even if you only need coal on one end of a route, it still feels like it's super limited where you can set it up or you have headaches with splitting of coal to send to your truck station...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if more people would use trucks if they didn't need fuel or just needed to charge from grid or something.

Even if you only need coal on one end of a route, it still feels like it's super limited where you can set it up or you have headaches with splitting of coal to send to your truck station...

Trucks are inherently inconvenient because you need to manually record every route. If you have a train network you can expand it as necessary and once you have the signals set up correctly logistics is a simple matter of telling the trains to pick up from point A and drop off at point B. Drones are even easier since you don't need to build a transportation infrastructure for them, the tradeoff being lower capacity, higher power draw and the need for batteries.

Building my trucks-only 630GW nuclear plant, the trucks were as much of a hassle as the plant itself. Truck physics are wonky and they'll occasionally get launched off some innocuous piece of geometry requiring you to either spend time deleting path nodes to fix the route or just do it again completely if the truck fell off a cliff. They have trouble getting up hills of any decent grade, requiring either detours or road infrastructure to get around their lack of horsepower. Automated trucks that meet head-on will gridlock, requiring either multi-lane infrastructure to avoid it happening or a path-deleting workaround that feels like an unintended exploit. Depending on if it's a pickup or dropoff point, you might need to record a second truck route to deliver fuel in addition to the one you're already having to do for the cargo route.

There's probably a case to be made for them but limiting myself to only using trucks certainly highlighted all their limitations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

I think most people don't use trucks because:
• recording routes is somewhat tedious
• they have the same lack of network effect as conveyors
• lingering dislike from before U5 when they could get stuck or roll over and your factory would stop working

After all that you have the fuel problem, but if you have coal splitting some of it to fuel a tractor is not a big deal IMO.

If you could alter a recorded route -- load a saved route into a car, erase one end, and then re-record from there so you could have it hit a different truck station -- I think a lot more people would find truck-based logistics useful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well I feel like I'll be building a remote base, or hit a point where I go "I need to get this product/resource back to my main base/over to my outpost" If I don't have coal at either, trucks is basically a non-starter. Or I have to route the truck over to a spot with coal.

I guess I personally just hate splitting coal off for fuel early on. Either it's going to coal generators, in which case I don't want to gently caress with ratios, or it's going to steel, and splitting it off for fuel feels wasteful (and again, messes with ratios)

Like doing West Desert or North Forest, I usually use the coal nodes up on crater plateau for coal power, and the coal deposits on the border between rocky desert and north forest for steel. Like I suppose in this region you could split some of the coal from the steel facility so it's easier to truck to steel back to a more central location, but again it just ends up feeling like a waste of coal when belts will do it for free.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Trains also have the awesome bonus of extending your power network all over the place too.

But drat I am not loving the intersection and track layouts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why use trucks when I sufficiently long belt will suffice?

When I long belt isn't tenable, trains are right there.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
After the update which improved vehicles I did a bit of a gimmick of using a whole bunch of tractors, and it worked mostly fine but anything breaking threw a wrench in a lot of supply lines and they just weren't 100% reliable without putting in a lot of effort compared to conveyors. Knowing the problems that setup had, I could probably have made a better setup but the next time I just used conveyors only until I had trains and drones and didn't really miss them.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Where's my conveyor belts only crew at?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

neato burrito posted:

They are on their way, a bit slow, but once they start showing up you will have a steady constant supply of crew

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

neato burrito posted:

hell yeah

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Also, how far away is too far and better to wait for trains?

It's completely up to you. I vastly prefer to use trains even over shortish to medium distances for aesthetic reasons and as mentioned, the more train routes you build the easier it becomes generally to add more stuff to the network so long as you're doing it correctly.

Trains have a handful of traps you need to be careful of that all belts don't really have, otherwise you'll cause yourself problems like deadlocks or will make them take too long and trains won't deliver their full potential throughput. But a well made trains network is just so fun to watch go to work.

Trucks at this point are sort of a gimmick. I avoid them

Roundboy posted:

But drat I am not loving the intersection and track layouts

I feel like I should put together a guide, because I find intersections are a fun thing to build and I want to get you over this frustration you're having.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's my first time doing a real train network and I'm skirting the line between getting my initial layout down and making it look nice.

I do see that I need to make some double track blueprints and spam that in nice straight lines all over the map

Is the general consensus to build tracks high about all world things or to weave in and out of the obvious stuff but not be absurdly high?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

For medium or short distances of lowish throughput items, I just use factory carts. They don't need fuel so you can easily add more of them to their route.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Roundboy posted:

Is the general consensus to build tracks high about all world things or to weave in and out of the obvious stuff but not be absurdly high?

1) Trains lose speed going around curves, with tighter curves being higher drag.
2) Trains lose speed going up hills and may need more than 1 engine, depending on the steepness of the slope.

These two things together mean that the most efficient rails would be high above the world on totally level tracks. IMO that looks terrible though, and is really boring to ride on. So a reasonable compromise is elevated enough to have plenty of level rail with gradual curves for high speed, but still low enough that you interact with the terrain. Curve around pillars or giant mushrooms, go under arches, etc.

If you spend the effort to put train tracks all around the world make a fun ride!

I do a lot of over/under style, I think it looks good as an elevated viaduct and can fit through narrower gaps:

but intersections look cooler with side-by-side rail:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Roundboy posted:

It's my first time doing a real train network and I'm skirting the line between getting my initial layout down and making it look nice.

I do see that I need to make some double track blueprints and spam that in nice straight lines all over the map

Yeah I get it. I've built so many rails at this point that I'm probably internalizing a bunch of tricks that make it easier - the difference between my very first railway network and my current one is.... stark. There are some frustrating aspects of laying rail. You'll eventually get the hang of it and it will no longer be a big deal.

As for blueprints, just make sure not to include the rails in your double track blueprints. They don't autoconnect and you'll have to delete the rail and remake it anyways. Just include the foundations and your decorative choices.

Klyith posted:

2) Trains lose speed going up hills and may need more than 1 engine, depending on the steepness of the slope.

My rule of thumb is I never do anything steeper than 2 meter ramps in my network. If your network never goes steeper than this you can safely use a engine to car ratio of 1:5 without needing to worry about trains not being able to navigate hills.

All this train talk has me chomping at the bit to unveil my latest silly project where I use 2x 4-16 trains and 2x 2-10 trains to supply an aluminum plant made almost entirely from blueprints. It's almost done.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roundboy posted:

You know how to set up a roundabout right? I wish that blueprints were big enough to handle those.