Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Norwegian Troll movie has hit Netflix, it's a fun kaiju romp with a good old-fashioned "Government bigwigs won't listen to the scientist with a crackpot idea so she has to become a loose cannon" plot. If you liked Troll Hunter it's more of the same except with more explosions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiohkY_XQYQ

It borrows heavily from has loving homages to a whole lot of other films (Jurassic Park, King Kong, Godzilla 1998, etc) so keep an eye out for those scenes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah it's an excellent and fun kaiju film. It's fun to remember that the Troll is the same size as the 1954 Godzilla.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kojima gave Troll a big thumbs up

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1602114341876404224

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yeah, I cannot wait! Ive been trying to get my wife to watch Trollhunter with me but she won't budge. :lol:

God I loved that movie - found footage was hot as hell back then. Wonder how it holds up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a Kickstarter going for an omnibus collection of all the Legendary Godzillaverse comics

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/monsterverse?ref=discovery&term=godzilla

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

How does that work? I'm not sure you can crowdfund for a company to release something. It's entirely down to them and if they see a profit in it. I guess it shows interest, but it has barely any backers at the moment so it might have the opposite effect.

EDIT: Unless, wait, it's actually Legendary themselves who set it up?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Karloff posted:

How does that work? I'm not sure you can crowdfund for a company to release something. It's entirely down to them and if they see a profit in it. I guess it shows interest, but it has barely any backers at the moment so it might have the opposite effect.

EDIT: Unless, wait, it's actually Legendary themselves who set it up?

that would appear to be the case yes

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Well, shows what I know. That's a new one to me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Would be vaguely tempting if I hadn't already read Awakening and Aftershock and found them barely worth the time it took.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's hosed up that they've got patches for Godzilla, King Kong, and Mechagodzilla, but no Mothra.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Articulation series is doing little acrylic pieces from the NES Godzilla game, they look so good!!

https://www.shma-articulationseries...L6yVleE#acrylic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I recently watched Shin Kamen Rider and Zeiram (both '92) after remembering Hakaider and wanting more in that style.

Shin Kamen Rider is a mess, and worse, dull. Shin Kazamatsuri is a medical guinea pig for research meant to combat disease (like, in general) and strengthen human constitution, but he's plagued by strange dreams where he watches a monster kill women. He comes to doubt not only his sanity but the good nature of his caretakers, which include his father and his girlfriend, Ai. Eventually he learns that Onizuka, one of the lead researchers, has been performing human/grasshopper genetic experiments on himself and Shin in hopes of creating a race to succeed humanity. The strange dreams Shin has had were him experiencing the researcher's spree kills through grasshopper telepathy (?).

This is all over-complicated by a secondary conflict between the mysterious organization funding the research and the CIA, who are bafflingly depicted as revolutionaries (?). On top of that, Shin's escape from the facility puts Ai in danger, as unbeknownst to her she's pregnant with Shin's half-grasshopper child (!), the fetus of which glows and rotates in space as sort of a vinyl model of 2001's Star Child (?!?!). There's also a killer robot because Shin needs someone else to fight after his obvious counterpart, Onizuka, is killed halfway through the movie.

The gross body horror tries its damnedest to save this film, but on top of everything else the pacing is too drat slow. There's maybe two 22 minute episodes worth of plot in Shin Kamen Rider, but it's stretched out over 90 minutes of film. It's just not goopy or weird enough to make up for the fact that nothing ever loving happens.

By contrast, Zeiram is loving fantastic. A space civilization's sentient bioweapon, Zeiram, escapes containment and flees to Earth. It's pursued by Iria and Bob, blue collar space bounty hunters trying to stay ahead on their debts. Their plans to isolate Zeiram in an adjacent dimension where they can capture it without alerting any Earthlings is confounded when two electrical engineers for the city stumble in trying to figure out who's stealing electricity. What proceeds is basically Alien vs Mario and Luigi.

It has some real gorgeous effects! Great creature designs, some great mattes, a lot of goop, several wack rear end crystal prisons, and some incredible step motion animation. On top of all that, it's just an enjoyable story, with Iria and Bob doing having to hustle to capture the monster, keep the earth dopes alive, and hopefully, hopefully, stay in the black after this poo poo's all over.

Track this one down.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 26, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/godzilla_toho/status/1606923141279784961?s=61&t=G3m8nutfW6kqlR5N5atkIw

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love the Godziban aesthetic!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Earth Destruction Order: Godzilla x Gigan

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

That was the most Bleach-to-DBZ-rear end Kaiju fight I've ever seen and it owned.

I'll always prefer classic Gigan for being peak weird but Final Wars Gigan was a fun design.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What I really enjoy about that person's (studio's?) works are that they aren't the best CGI but the choreography is always top notch

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reveal yourself

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/1610428032702980097?s=46&t=zZWVG50oBh2G-OztV9RG1g

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hope he's trying to get enough to build a Godzilla statue

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The guy in the replies with 4,000 copies of Sneak King :psyduck:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

let that be a warning to all you goons who post in the physical media thread

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mantis42 posted:

let that be a warning to all you goons who post in the physical media thread

I think you mean challenge!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kids were watching the later Heisei Godzillas and I wondered if the creators of Godzilla were ever like "oh what has our modern parable for the dangers of science become".

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FilthyImp posted:

Kids were watching the later Heisei Godzillas and I wondered if the creators of Godzilla were ever like "oh what has our modern parable for the dangers of science become".

They did that after the Showa movies were done for obvious reasons

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

FilthyImp posted:

Honda: "I don't really have a positive or negative opinion about them [the Heisei Godzilla films]. The special effects technically are very sophisticated, but the films lack imagination. It seems as if all Toho is trying to do is show things being destroyed. I don't fault the members of the production department, though, because I know that that is what Toho's executives are demanding."

As quoted by David Milner, "Ishiro Honda Interview", Kaiju Conversations (December 1992)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished the Daimajin sequels. They're fun but I feel like the whole trilogy is just kinda waiting around each movie for the rampage at the end. Which in fairness is always sick as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So it’s my birthday and I’m chilling at a friends and he goes and says he has a gift for me and drops this

It’s apparently a shogun Godzilla from the 70s that his father in law bought back then and has kept it since. He found it doing some spring cleaning and was going to pitch it before remembering I was a fan.

This poo poo rules super hard I love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Now that’s a goddamn find - amazing!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The good ol days when merchandise had no obligation to be on model.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So it’s my birthday and I’m chilling at a friends and he goes and says he has a gift for me and drops this

It’s apparently a shogun Godzilla from the 70s that his father in law bought back then and has kept it since. He found it doing some spring cleaning and was going to pitch it before remembering I was a fan.

Found one at a garage sale about a decade ago(alongside a Raydeen from the same line) and yeah it's pretty awesome, need to give mine some restoration work though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell yeah

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a grail, treasure it. The reissue goes for $55

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That What To Do With A Dead Kaiju film was released in Japan back in early February, has anyone seen it or does anyone know when it'll be available outside Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3tZInmWStc

I finally got my hands on a copy of this with English subtitles and got to see it after waiting almost a whole year. It's pretty low budget and I won't say it's great but it's got it's moments, and anyone who is a fan of the genre should definitely track it down. It obviously apes Shin Godzilla quite a lot in that it's whole premise is various governmental ministers and agencies fighting over who should shoulder the responsibility or claim the credit for dealing with a dead kaiju which could either become a huge environmental disaster or a tourism attraction worth trillions of yen, unfortunately all the political scenes are just overloaded with slapstick and farce so they get pretty tedious real fast.
There's pretty much zero kaiju action because they obviously didn't have the budget to animate the CGI model so you only ever see the lifeless corpse, you don't even see flashbacks or news segments showing its rampage through the city before it died.

I still haven't tracked this one down which is obviously even more farcical and has pretty much zero budget:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also there's a super low budget Covid19-themed comedy Kaiju film coming out at some point called Tokusatsu Kigeki Ooki Yuuzou: Jinsei saidai no kessen (Yuzo the Biggest Battle in Tokyo) but I'm setting my expectations pretty low, it doesn't look great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScpNxoSNem4&t=1s

E: if anyone wants some really poo poo-tier garbage kaiju films then you might want to go watch Zillafoot (2019) on VOD which looks like Suburban Sasquatch-tier junk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwYD4UatTzg

God Raiga Vs King Ohga (2021) is also silly fun garbage, it looks like some friends threw it together during covid lockdown because they were bored. :v:
The whole thing is free on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRerPUl-Io

E2: Here's another interesting kaiju project, Howl from Beyond the Fog (2019). It's a 35 minute short which mixes animation with puppetry to tell a kaiju story set during the Meiji period. It's available free on youtube and also includes a behind-the-scenes doco tacked onto the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jcuj5iqnU

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 10, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Shin Ultraman was Real Good!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

moths posted:

:hmmyes:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

moths posted:

:hai:

I've heard it described as basically being three or four Superman movies edited together to fit two hours, mostly from the perspective of Lois and Jimmy Olsen, and that's pretty accurate. It's a kinda brutal pace, but at least it means nobody has the time to ask stupid questions or engage in artificial time-filling drama, it's all killer no filler.

Also, surprisingly funny. Especially if you interpret it as a sequel to Shin Godzilla and this is a window into a post-kaiju Japan that's adapted to a world where that sort of thing just happens from time to time now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It really felt like binge watching a season of premium television, in a pretty great way.

The themes were surprisingly well executed!

All the humorous references to buying weapons from the US took on a much different context by the end of the film, which I appreciated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1614384206649430016?s=46&t=YUHqxrNoPDfVREV-QEXVAA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did Ken Penders get a job at Toho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Did Ken Penders get a job at Toho?

Can't be - the designs are actually unique from one another