Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She's rangers I'm Celtic, she hates papists and I hate the queen. Somehow we make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

On the topic of deliveries I am getting right hosed off with the postie insisting on handing my packages to my neighbours rather than just giving me a note to pick them up from the depot a 10 min walk from my flat.

I’m regularly on the other end of this, since we both work from home we’re virtually always here and so our house turns into a mini-depot for half the street’s parcels.

More than once I’ve gotten hosed off with the mounting pile of stuff that people apparently haven’t felt the need to come and collect and had to go out to play postie myself on an evening to get rid of them.

Why don’t these people want their things?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m regularly on the other end of this, since we both work from home we’re virtually always here and so our house turns into a mini-depot for half the street’s parcels.

More than once I’ve gotten hosed off with the mounting pile of stuff that people apparently haven’t felt the need to come and collect and had to go out to play postie myself on an evening to get rid of them.

Why don’t these people want their things?

In my old flat we took in a parcel and I guess the neighbours must have moved out just before it arrived because it sat there for literally months and no one came for it, and they never answered the door when I tried to take it round. After about a year we thought gently caress it let's just have whatever it is, clearly no one wants it. Turned out to be a plug adapter which was pretty boring but we did need one so thanks I guess random invisible ex-neighbour!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

There's at least one courier round here who'll open my front door and pop the parcel inside. Doesn't knock, doesn't ring, apparently doesn't care if I have a gently caress-off Rottweiler with a penchant for human flesh

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wachter posted:

There's at least one courier round here who'll open my front door and pop the parcel inside. Doesn't knock, doesn't ring, apparently doesn't care if I have a gently caress-off Rottweiler with a penchant for human flesh

You should probably lock your front door

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This, my dear, is the Zybourne Parcel

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

It's just a bit awkward for me but some people will have Neighbours From Hell and it seems dumb that it's just standard practice to trust everyone to look after each other's post all the time like that.

Was at the package collection centre years back, and in front of me was some lady complaining on how all her mail is given to her neighbour.
Who they are suing at the moment.
The postie gave the neighbour a bank statement, so the lady was saying the neighbour is taunting her by reading off dates/amounts and trying to guess she had bought

Wachter posted:

That happens in my small town of origin with the standard postie.
He knows who you are, we know who he is and where he lives, so you sometimes hear him knock then shout though the door saying its only him.

And we take care of each other around our way, post given to neighbours is a way to catch up and have a chat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Was at the package collection centre years back, and in front of me was some lady complaining on how all her mail is given to her neighbour.
The postie gave the neighbour a bank statement, so the lady was saying the neighbour is taunting her by reading off dates/amounts and trying to guess she had bought

I'm assuming that's why she's suing, for opening private correspondence?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming that's why she's suing, for opening private correspondence?

Haven't a clue. I was there only for mine, she was still there talking to two of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Imagine four callers ahead of you in the queue.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: EV I am imploring you to use paragraphs. I'm sure you have interesting posts but my brain just slides off that wall of text

Yeah, sorry all. Probably shouldn't have attempted a post, bit crispy cos I hosed up meds timing last night.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Gort posted:

You should probably lock your front door

I do now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah, sorry all. Probably shouldn't have attempted a post, bit crispy cos I hosed up meds timing last night.

man I hope I never have to have the kind of medicine that goes "an hour late? enjoy an entire week or vertigo motherfucker"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

That happens in my small town of origin with the standard postie.
He knows who you are, we know who he is and where he lives, so you sometimes hear him knock then shout though the door saying its only him.

And we take care of each other around our way, post given to neighbours is a way to catch up and have a chat.

I miss that our postie seems to be doing a different route so we have a new one who makes me answer the door :( Very unfair. But yeah, it's a village of 1,000 people, I know that the postie's son plays for Brora Rangers, & previously played for Cove, both in the Highland League. There's something pleasant about it all. I never lock the door when I go out unless I'm going to be out all day, I'm not sure my parents shed has been locked in decades. It's the one major plus-side of village life, even if it is countered by everyone knowing everyone, & thus being gossipy messy bitches.

I always remember that my mum would talk about how nosey & in everyone's affairs her mother was, but then when she died there was a massive turnout for the funeral & everyone was like "she was lovely, so interested in everyone's life!" & I suppose that's village mindset really. I definitely have city mindset of head down, mind my own business.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
???vertigo that's a you problem

Meds stop my brain whirring madly so I can sleep, gently caress it up and I basically don't.
Also, an hour? lol try 3 or 4 cos brain too busy to spot the time. And people used to wonder why I found speed boring.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol got a letter from NHS ENGLAND telling me my GP will be unregistering me from February as I'm outside the boundary. I live 1 mile away from the surgery!

Checks bottom of letter... "and is part of Capita plc". Chalk another victory up to the private sector! I'm sure we should definitely be trusting these big brains to more and more of the NHS.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

???vertigo that's a you problem

Meds stop my brain whirring madly so I can sleep, gently caress it up and I basically don't.
Also, an hour? lol try 3 or 4 cos brain too busy to spot the time. And people used to wonder why I found speed boring.

tbh I only get vertigo if I stop taking my SSRIs for more than half a week, and then it's in fits and starts

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Imagine four parcels on the edge of a cliff. That's your DPD delivery, which has been flagged as complete.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I miss that our postie seems to be doing a different route so we have a new one who makes me answer the door :( Very unfair. But yeah, it's a village of 1,000 people, I know that the postie's son plays for Brora Rangers, & previously played for Cove, both in the Highland League. There's something pleasant about it all. I never lock the door when I go out unless I'm going to be out all day, I'm not sure my parents shed has been locked in decades. It's the one major plus-side of village life, even if it is countered by everyone knowing everyone, & thus being gossipy messy bitches.

I always remember that my mum would talk about how nosey & in everyone's affairs her mother was, but then when she died there was a massive turnout for the funeral & everyone was like "she was lovely, so interested in everyone's life!" & I suppose that's village mindset really. I definitely have city mindset of head down, mind my own business.

My local postie pulled out in front of me when i was riding my Honda 90 into work (back in 1996), lucky it wasn't head on but he put me in hospital with a few broken bones.

Every time my mum saw him she would say ''there goes that wee baldy bastard'', only time i ever heard her curse in my life.

He's still my local postie, the compensation form that bought me my first car and my house.

All it cost me was an arm & a leg (broken). :lol:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Marmaduke! posted:

Lol got a letter from NHS ENGLAND telling me my GP will be unregistering me from February as I'm outside the boundary. I live 1 mile away from the surgery!

Checks bottom of letter... "and is part of Capita plc". Chalk another victory up to the private sector! I'm sure we should definitely be trusting these big brains to more and more of the NHS.

There are big companies buying them all up, the same way capital accumulation affects everything.

But since the creation of the NHS, GP practices have been privately owned. They never wanted to become state employees and they had the bargaining power to avoid it. I know the general sentiment is that anyone associated with the NHS is are hero. But they're just people, a lot of them are tories, and would be perfectly fine with you having to pay for their services if it improves their own material conditions. They're part of the class war too, and they can also act in their own interests.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

keep punching joe posted:

She's rangers I'm Celtic, she hates papists and I hate the queen. Somehow we make it work.
found TP's neighbours' kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Q6U0MYNS0

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I tell you what, if you'd asked me what I thought I might gain from moving to Scotland before I did all those years ago, I don't think 'a pretty decent knowledge of sectarian politics and the Troubles' would have featured high on the list, but here we are.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Getting a sitcom jingle in my head after reading that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yodel once lost a ton of topsoil that I ordered when I was landscaping our garden.

They tried to say they left it in my safe space which is my blue recycling bin.

They did not. The picture of the blue recycling bin did not convince me that it was loving hiding behind it.

It still took 3 months to get a replacement.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Getting a sitcom jingle in my head after reading that.

I'm getting flashbacks to watching "Give My Head Peace".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Here most of the little supermarkets (subsupermarkets?) have a parcel pick-up point. If I order something online by default it gets delivered there, where either I ask the person behind the till to fetch it for me or there's a big stack of locked cabinets containing parcels, and you open them with an app or a code. I can pay a bit extra to get it delivered to my house but I have to go shopping anyway so why bother. That seems to work well and presumably cuts down on the home deliveries drivers have to make. I'm sure I've seen something similar in the UK, does nobody use them?

e: I don't know if the local Coop would accept a ton of topsoil and I don't think I'd get it on the bus, probably I'd want that delivered home.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Yodel once lost a ton of topsoil that I ordered when I was landscaping our garden.

They tried to say they left it in my safe space which is my blue recycling bin.

They did not. The picture of the blue recycling bin did not convince me that it was loving hiding behind it.

It still took 3 months to get a replacement.

Like, a literal ton? They thought you wouldn't notice?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least they didn't try to shove it halfway through your letterbox.

big scary monsters posted:

Here most of the little supermarkets (subsupermarkets?)
Ultramarkets.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Ultramarkets.
:eyepop:

I always liked the French hypermarchés, they seem so much more exciting and futuristic than the tedious mundanity of the mere supermarket.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah but then the granny in front of you pays with a cheque

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The French give them carte blanche to do that.

Has l'Académie come up with a native term for self-checkout yet?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I tell you what, if you'd asked me what I thought I might gain from moving to Scotland before I did all those years ago, I don't think 'a pretty decent knowledge of sectarian politics and the Troubles' would have featured high on the list, but here we are.

Well that's what happens when you move to the parts of Scotland with decent sized Catholic populations, Protestants who are loving obsessed with Papists & the Antichrist in Rome they worship.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Boo!

quote:

Has l'Académie come up with a native term for self-checkout yet?
No need, because if they tried to introduce them the Confédération Français des Assistants de Caisse would burn the shop to the ground and then march on Paris.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap: :france:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1613652779523874831

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
"here's a big fat cheque"
"thanks"
"..."
"..."
"so when are you getting back into politics"
"lol why would I do that"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Like, a literal ton? They thought you wouldn't notice?

Yep, a literal ton. They didn't check the manifest I guess. Saw it was marked as delivered with a pic and just sent me the pic of my blue bin saying my order was in there. My 1000kg of soil.

It was honestly quite funny when I finally got through to them that was the first thing they asked. If I'd checked my safe spot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One has to wonder how you misplace 1000kg of soil....

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

One has to wonder how you misplace 1000kg of soil....

Used it for the world's largest soil enema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Schrodinger's post

Is the delivery really in the post box? You'll have to wait until you're home to find out!