Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cactus posted:

On the subject of space games: I've always wanted to play a single-player AAA-quality game set on a huge capital ship, about as big as the Enterprise, the ship in Stargate SG1, or a star destroyer (although maybe that would be too big) where the entire interior is modelled and accessible, like the Normandy but with an indoor map-size comparable to that of a full game.

The ship itself moves through space and visits different systems and such (like a star trek or battlestar galactica ship would) and if you happen to be in a section of the ship where you can see out this is reflected there. Maybe you even get to have a say in where the ship goes if you play as the captain or someone that the captain listens to, and that affects what story events happen and in what order, which in turn have an effect on the ship itself, how it looks, which areas are accesible or closed off, which members of the crew end up dying/changing, that kind of thing.

I'd also be down with playing a more Lower-Decks type of character that just lives and works on the ship but gets caught up in whatever story ends up happening...whatever, who you or the other characters are and what the story is isn't really what I'm focussing on here (although I'd love it if those were as compelling as a Naughty Dog or CDPR game as well, obviously) just the setting itself.

There might be off-ship locations to add some variety, but these would be smaller, more linear areas where story or side missions can have an excuse to take place in a completely different environment just to keep things switched up if needed, like the Mass Effect 2 character missions, but the main star of the show would be the ship itself.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/CONSORTIUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cactus posted:

On the subject of space games: I've always wanted to play a single-player AAA-quality game set on a huge capital ship, about as big as the Enterprise, the ship in Stargate SG1, or a star destroyer (although maybe that would be too big) where the entire interior is modelled and accessible, like the Normandy but with an indoor map-size comparable to that of a full game.

The ship itself moves through space and visits different systems and such (like a star trek or battlestar galactica ship would) and if you happen to be in a section of the ship where you can see out this is reflected there. Maybe you even get to have a say in where the ship goes if you play as the captain or someone that the captain listens to, and that affects what story events happen and in what order, which in turn have an effect on the ship itself, how it looks, which areas are accesible or closed off, which members of the crew end up dying/changing, that kind of thing.

I'd also be down with playing a more Lower-Decks type of character that just lives and works on the ship but gets caught up in whatever story ends up happening...whatever, who you or the other characters are and what the story is isn't really what I'm focussing on here (although I'd love it if those were as compelling as a Naughty Dog or CDPR game as well, obviously) just the setting itself.

There might be off-ship locations to add some variety, but these would be smaller, more linear areas where story or side missions can have an excuse to take place in a completely different environment just to keep things switched up if needed, like the Mass Effect 2 character missions, but the main star of the show would be the ship itself.

Sounds like you want star citizen my friend can I interest you in an idris

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i hate that star citizen is the scam it is instead of something real i can look forward to playing :smith:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

He's pretty clearly saying he wants a Hogwarts Legacy style game but not set in a transphobic castle

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hogwarts but it's pronounced with long vowels

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
hogwarts drinking a polyjuice potion and sneaking into the thread

hi posters wouldn't this kind of game be cool?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Kind of, but bigger, and in a spaceship rather than a plane, that is travelling in space. But other than those things, yeah this is similar :lol:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He's pretty clearly saying he wants a Hogwarts Legacy style game but not set in a transphobic castle

I don't really have a horse in that race and I haven't looked up anything about what that game is going to be other than I know it's Harry Potter: open world edition, but I distinctly remember reading somewhere that Rowling wasn't really involved with the game in the slightest? Or is that wrong, simply a case of the devs/publisher trying to distance themselves in order to not lose sales? I could see either being true.

Edit: I did enjoy the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry, for what it's worth.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 13, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Rowling might not be intimately involved but she still makes money from it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i choose to be optimistic about the hogwarts game; like for example, maybe jk rowling will die before the game comes out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I shant play it as it seems real boring and Harry Potter sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I shant play it as it seems real boring and Harry Potter sucks
it's got several marks against it:

1) harry potter is cringe
2) jk rowling
3) AAA open world game
4) by a dev whose last non-Disney game was 25 to Life for the PS2
5) storyline sounds bad
6) not Silksong

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tarezax posted:

Rowling might not be intimately involved but she still makes money from it

That's a shame, but me not playing the game isn't going to change that. If it reviews well and the reviewers I trust say it's something I'm likely to enjoy playing I'll probably pick it up in a sale and play it to the 40-60% completion mark like I do most open world games, and then move on. If not I won't. I think it's ok to enjoy media or art that is tainted by association with massive shitheads, or that has problematic elements within it, as long as you can acknowledge the caveat that that stuff is there. I wouldn't be able to enjoy any Ubisoft games, any Blizzard games, most 80s movies or vast swathes of otherwise great sci-fi/fantasy books otherwise. If that makes me unprincipled in some peoples eyes, well, ok then. We all have the right to decide where we draw our lines.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's got several marks against it:

1) harry potter is cringe
2) jk rowling
3) AAA open world game
4) by a dev whose last non-Disney game was 25 to Life for the PS2
5) storyline sounds bad
6) not Silksong
1 & 3 are subjective, 5 it's not out yet so we can't know. 4 I know nothing about.

The rest are fair points.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valve removed the "transphobia" user tag from hogwarts steam page

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
George w bush hid the facts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

repiv posted:

valve removed the "transphobia" user tag from hogwarts steam page

nice while it lasted i guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's just so many indie games that it makes boycotting not buying AAA games very easy for me. i already have over 100 games on my wishlist that are not out yet, i don't really need more games. and that's with next fest coming up in february....

Cactus posted:

1 & 3 are subjective, 5 it's not out yet so we can't know. 4 I know nothing about.

The rest are fair points.
not sure what makes 3 subjective but 1 sure. i concede that it is just my opinion that HP is terrible garbage

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Also lol at Steam removing the Tranphobic tag. From what the devs have leaked it's Racist :v

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is The Division 2 now that it's on steam? I remember really liking the idea of the first one, but I pretty quickly bounced off it on account of how repetitive it was and how it felt like 75% of my time and my dude's progression was wasted.

(Note that I do like good loot treadmills: Diablo II and TQ/GD are totally my jam. But something about Division 1 felt like all box, no skinner.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

merry wintereenmas, ethan

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

For the love of everything fraggable, it's farking cold in here

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
And because it has to be done:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

there's just so many indie games that it makes boycotting not buying AAA games very easy for me. i already have over 100 games on my wishlist that are not out yet, i don't really need more games. and that's with next fest coming up in february....

not sure what makes 3 subjective but 1 sure. i concede that it is just my opinion that HP is terrible garbage

That'll be me interpreting your 3 as a negative value judgement rather than just a descriptor. I read it in a sarcastic tone of voice, if that's not how you meant it to sound in my head then I apologise.

Why can people tag a game that isn't even out yet anyway? For all we know the game might turn out to be transphobic but until it comes out what's the point of being able to put any tag that specific on it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh well yea i normally can't stand AAA open world games haha

elden ring was one of the few to break the curse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Croccers posted:

Also lol at Steam removing the Tranphobic tag. From what the devs have leaked it's Racist :v
can someone edit this so the weight says NATIONAL DEBT

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

oh well yea i normally can't stand AAA open world games haha

elden ring was one of the few to break the curse

Yeah I'm waiting for the complete all DLC game of the year edition before I even think of tackling that one because I know I'm only ever going to play through it once; I doubt I'll go back to it once I stop playing it because I so rarely do with those games, and I've got a feeling in this case I'm going to want to finish it and see all the content. Looking forward to it in maybe a year or two though.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

can someone edit this so the weight says NATIONAL DEBT

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Epic....

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cactus posted:

This sounds incredible, especially playing as some nobody caught up in something bigger. Huge, mazelike...I love it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sloppy posted:

This sounds incredible, especially playing as some nobody caught up in something bigger. Huge, mazelike...I love it.

Closest thing to a fully modeled station is System Shock 1, 2 and 3 (Prey)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
About to install Outer Wilds. I bought it during the sale because everyone raved about it and I think the genre sounded appealing? But I don't remember a single thing about the game so I don't think I've ever gone into a game as blind as this. I hope it stands up to your hype!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gromit posted:

About to install Outer Wilds. I bought it during the sale because everyone raved about it and I think the genre sounded appealing? But I don't remember a single thing about the game so I don't think I've ever gone into a game as blind as this. I hope it stands up to your hype!

The less you know going in the better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The less you know going in the better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is The Division 2 now that it's on steam? I remember really liking the idea of the first one, but I pretty quickly bounced off it on account of how repetitive it was and how it felt like 75% of my time and my dude's progression was wasted.

(Note that I do like good loot treadmills: Diablo II and TQ/GD are totally my jam. But something about Division 1 felt like all box, no skinner.)

As someone who likes Division 2 but is basically done with it in any significant way it’s basically the same. While there were fairly significant changes in terms of how health/armor works, different skills added, and the open world city part of the game actually has a purpose beyond the first time you run through it you’re still taking cover and shooting things with guns mostly while numbers go up. If you can believe it there’s even less story and character than the first game.

You technically have a bit more skinner since there’s a a wider variety of stats but for complicated reasons I’m not going to go into there’s only a handful that are useful.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It looks like The Division 2 doesn't currently work with the steam deck, if anyone cares.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I haven't touch it for ages, but if you're playing through the 'story' you really won't need to touch the Skinner State/Gear Set stuff until Max Level Post Story.
Unless the game starts you at Max level now?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think it's worth playing just to see a really cool recreation of Washington DC, much like NY in the first game

Plus the music rules and the graphics are amazing if you have a good rig

You can see all the things and move on without any significant need to grind

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gromit posted:

Eagerly anticipating a "I don't get the hype, this just seems like a mediocre rpg shooter" post as the wilds/worlds distinction claims another soul.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Outer Wilds small spoiler, should be safe to read: There's a dude in a hammock. Talk to him each time you encounter him to learn something useful.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gromit posted:

You owe it to yourself to play until you are smashing your head against the wall in frustration because you can't figure out what to do next, and then look up the solutions. I kind of regret doing it instead of solving everything but the whole story and presentation is so incredible that it was worth it.