Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

He just happened to be wearing a Nazi uniform.

Any bets on it being David Elliott and the Clubs lobby?

I meant obviously someone was going to leak the photo so he decided to announced it before they could in an effort to save face

Not like Minns has a chance in hell but maybe that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Sorry I asked the wrong question. ABC are reporting it was a fancy dress party and the theme was uniforms. It wasn't a coincidence and he was in his everyday brown shirt.

:thejoke:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dutton to grow a toothbrush moustache in effort to get new voters

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

ShoeFly posted:

Any bets on it being David Elliott and the Clubs lobby?
it's been reported that elliott is the one who warned him that someone was planning to tell the press (rumours were apparently already going around the press), and that the actual source of the rumours is reportedly some disgruntled members of perrottet's own right faction, who are apparently unhappy with some pre-selections or something

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Homophobic, fundamentalist Christian, conservative leader of a right wing party likes to dress up a Nazi for fun at parties?

What a shocker.

Spoiler alert: Overshare about my youthful misadventures.
I lost my virginity at a themed costume party when I was around 21. The theme was superheroes. I was Superman, and she was Tank Girl. I don't remember any Nazi's in attendance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What are the odds he's known for a little while he'd have to cop to it but waited and then jumped to announce it when Pell died so people were still distracted with that?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 12, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MikeJF posted:

What are the odds he's known for a little while he'd have to cop to it but waited and then jumped to announce it when Pell died so people were still distracted with that?

It's impossible to say.

quote:

Earlier today, Mr Perrottet said he was "deeply ashamed" for wearing the uniform to a fancy dress party, saying it had caused him "much anxiety" through the course of his life.

He told a press conference in Sydney he decided to come forward after receiving a phone call from a cabinet colleague two days ago.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've had much anxiety about me being a nazi being leaked to the press since i became the premier

Should never have had shown the happy snaps around the office

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

"frutters" probably

Well better than potato frotteurs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
More embarrassing costume photos than Ben Roberts-Smith Mr speaker.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Wouldn't surprise me if it's someone close to the pokies lobby trying to derail the reforms in that area.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's someone close to the pokies lobby trying to derail the reforms in that area.

That doesn’t exactly narrow it down in NSW

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, it's pretty funny to see someone take the mildest stand against the pokie lobby and immediately get something nasty pulled from their dirt file. Couldn't have happened to a nicer man.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

No on hates the fash (or the Royal family) more than me, but ffs, it was a costume party. The idea is that you dress up as something you aren't.

It's not disrespecting anyone like, for instance, blackface. It's not glorifying nazism. It's just dress up.

I mean, I'm not a descendant of Shoah survivors (though, like them, I am a descendant of the Canaanites so the Jews are like cousins to me, and I am considering converting to (Reconstructionist) Judaism), so maybe I shouldn't chime in on this, but I really feel like this is Sturm in a Teetasse territory here.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Id maybe give someone a pass for colonal klink or sgt schultz if they were 70

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I figured that nobody will ask him to resign because of doing something hosed when he was 21 so he will talk to Jewish groups and say sorry some more and it will blow over. I doubt anyone that would vote for him would think it was anything more than a youthful indiscretion that didn't hurt anyone at the time. It's funny that he said it caused him anxiety, like an I Know What You Did Last Summer situation or something.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/13/george-pell-wrote-memo-calling-papacy-of-pope-francis-a-catastrophe

Guardian Au posted:

George Pell wrote memo calling papacy of Pope Francis a ‘catastrophe’

If you're wondering why dead huge piece of poo poo thought the Pope was bad, you'd be correct in assuming it's for "literally all the wrong reasons".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Capt.Whorebags posted:

There was a report it was sent to the minister by Clubs NSW.

So yes. Also a shot across the bow of labor or anyone else not to touch their criminal enterprise.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Comstar posted:

There was a report it was sent to the minister by Clubs NSW.

So yes. Also a shot across the bow of labor or anyone else not to touch their criminal enterprise.

who reported this

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

No on hates the fash (or the Royal family) more than me, but ffs, it was a costume party. The idea is that you dress up as something you aren't.

It's not disrespecting anyone like, for instance, blackface. It's not glorifying nazism. It's just dress up.

I mean, I'm not a descendant of Shoah survivors (though, like them, I am a descendant of the Canaanites so the Jews are like cousins to me, and I am considering converting to (Reconstructionist) Judaism), so maybe I shouldn't chime in on this, but I really feel like this is Sturm in a Teetasse territory here.

:chloe:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Eediot Jedi posted:

who reported this

comstar, literally just posted it above

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn't go as far as that guy but he's right that some liberal dipshit being an edgelord in his teens (adult apparently, what a fuckin dumbass) isn't as big of a deal as the gambling industry's manipulation and control over government.

All Liberal party members are white supremacist authoritarian pieces of poo poo anyway, so it's not like one of them wearing a Nazi uniform is even out of place.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 13, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Anyone that changes their vote because of the costume is a lame brain and also doesn't exist in reality.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not sympathetic to the guy and I know now that i'm middle-aged that there is no good time to dress up as a Nazi but honestly this is just the kind of stupid poo poo that 21 year old me would have done to out-edgelord my edgelord friends.

And if I had done it I certainly would address it or minimise fallout before running for a high profile position.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JBP posted:

Anyone that changes their vote because of the costume is a lame brain and also doesn't exist in reality.

What if the costume the pol was wearing is just a white singlet with "JBP is a poo-poo head, who has sex with sheep, but only the really stupid ones." written on it in black marker?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dr_rat posted:

What if the costume the pol was wearing is just a white singlet with "JBP is a poo-poo head, who has sex with sheep, but only the really stupid ones." written on it in black marker?

If it doesn't affect my money you can wear whatever you like.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What if the costume the pol was wearing is just a white singlet with JBP's credit card number, expiry date , and cvc written on it in black marker?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would call my bank

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

To be honest, same.

how many people in here have never at any point in their teens/twenties (either as a 'joke' amongst friends or with intent to hurt feelings):
R-Slur
F-slur (including calling lame things gay)
racial slurs
dressed up as a minority
made fun of a disabled person

I'll be the first to say I did. heaps. I was an angry teenager that copped plenty of bullying myself, so i figured if thats the way the world works, so be it. bully people. pick on them because they're different. But I grew up and realised that being a oval office to people all the time doesnt really get you very far and its easier to be nice to people (most of the time)

Kids learn, people change, and language and society changes. 18 years ago we did not have social media and an army of PC police to get up your rear end the second you say something that someone might take offence to. go and watch any comedy from that era and tell me how many times they make a sexist/racist/homophobic/ableist joke. you'll need a notepad to keep score.

is it problematic to dress up as a japanese soldier from WW2 or a german or turkish soldier from WW1? is it problematic to dress up like a US soldier from desert storm? Film and TV depict nazis and 'bad guys' plenty - is that also haram now? Darth Vader was the bad guy in star wars, real big fascist. cant wear that any more either?

Everyone did dumb offensive poo poo when we were young, and learning and growing from that is a good thing. People are going to have dirty laundry - no one was a perfect person their entire life, and its kind of insane to think of some squeaky clean, never stepped out of line person being the ideal for someone at Doms level of power. Id rather someone in power that has made mistakes and learned from them than someone who thinks they are immaculate and never done a thing wrong. if you arent making yourself a better person every day then what are you doing?

Dom is a oval office, so are the Libs and the Nazis so dont think Im defending anyone here but this isnt exactly the slam dunk whoever pressured him about it thinks it is. Most people are gonna see this and go 'oh, OK then.'

I still think Dom should get in the bin but this attempt at smearing him aint gonna do it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think Prince Harry and Justin Trudeau have kind of showed that it's not career ending kompromat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was definitely something that stuck around with Harry until he got into the news for other things.

But people actually do have a sense of proportion sometimes. Like that's some bad poo poo, inexcusable, but at least he isn't defending it and is doing some good poo poo right here and now.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I somehow made it out of my twenties without dressing up as a nazi, must be a politician thing

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for all of 2022:

Do you generate these yourself or do you source them from somewhere...? You may have answered this question in a previous iteration of the thread, but I'd love to know more. (You can link to a post if you've explained it before)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JBP posted:

I would call my bank

*BZZZ* the owner of your bank was the one wearing the singlet!

You will not win this utterly pointless hypothetical!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hurry up and post the photo you cowards

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hurry up and post the photo you cowards

You want a photo of Perottet as a Nazi? Sure thing, here:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

birdstrike posted:

comstar, literally just posted it above

Ah thank you

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I somehow made it out of my twenties without dressing up as a nazi, must be a politician thing

You don't get brownie points just because you weren't popular enough to get invited to parties when you were young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Laserface posted:

is it problematic to dress up as a japanese soldier from WW2 or a german or turkish soldier from WW1? is it problematic to dress up like a US soldier from desert storm? Film and TV depict nazis and 'bad guys' plenty - is that also haram now? Darth Vader was the bad guy in star wars, real big fascist. cant wear that any more either?

You'd probably get away with doing WWII re-enactments dressed as a member of the Afrika Korps because you thought Rommel was a military genius, but I'd recommend staying home for the Waffen SS club nights.