Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Roundboy posted:

On a cost for performance ratio, are 40xx even worth looking at if it's not a 4090? That card seems so insane over the top performance wise compared to the rest of the lineup. Especially when the rest are very close in price

(As of the moment of this post, who knows at any moment)
The 4070 is a bit better than the 3080 unless you can get the latter used, in which case it isn't better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Digital modeling/animation, rendering, video editing/encoding
What’s your budget? $2-3k for the parts that I need to get in the list below- I'm recycling video cards and some drives
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Zbrush, photo editing, Resolve/Fusion for video, Substance Painter/Mari, probably the most intensive will be using Houdini for animations using particles/physics simulations. My scenes aren't Hollywood big but I'm on a rising curve of scene complexity as I spend more and more effort on this kind of work.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($574.00 @ GameStop)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($184.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E TAICHI EATX AM5 Motherboard ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($337.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $2001.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-12 16:53 EST-0500

I'm looking to replace my current 1st-gen Threadripper machine; I already have drives and I snagged a couple 3000 series video cards at the end of the summer which I'll just be moving over. The latest threadrippers are a little too pricey, and September is too far off to wait for the next gen; the ryzen 9 7950x seems like the best step up for me in terms of the performance vs how much I'm willing to spend on the CPU.

Beyond that, I'm flexible on the rest of the items here; I basically went with brands/models that I've used in the past (my old Threadripper was in an older Taichi board that I was pretty happy with) and just found the current gen of those items, but I don't have a thing about brand loyalty, I just went this way as a starting point. I've got no idea where the quality is in manufacturers anymore.

I'd prefer a high wattage PSU since I'll be running two cards during rendering, and would like headroom in case I upgrade from my 3060Ti/3070 to 4000 series models (or 5000) in the coming years. I'm also not sure how much RAM timings matter for the things I'd like to be doing.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

The motherboard has 4 diagnostic LEDs and debug codes. When you press the power button, the LED for RAM will light up as the DDR5 memory training occurs. When it is finished training, the dram led (top right) turns off and the one below it (boot) lights up until the OS loads. The display with debug codes will flicker through codes as it boots and will finally settle.

The LED diagram is on pg 18 of your manual. Debug codes start on pg 37.

The "memory context restore" option in the motherboard is the setting that determines whether the memory gets trained each boot or whether you want it to try and use retained memory settings. I personally have it disabled, but if it is stable for you, you can leave it enabled for a faster boot, which will skip the red DRAM LED and jump straight to flipping through debug codes. In any event, it is normal for that light to be lit up at the beginning of the boot process.

e: oh drat it. I did not see your most recent post. I started typing this reply, got caught up doing something else, and just got back to finishing it on my phone. Now that I'm on a desktop, I see you were in Windows. Which code is displayed below the board's power button on the debug display? It's possible the boot LED stayed on when the OS loaded, for whatever reason. They're so close together and, like power crystal guessed, they are all red, so it's not exactly easy to tell which of the 4 is lit up.

I'm not actually sure what the code was - everything was booting fine and I didn't think to look. It's gone now but good to know that it goes through the process and will light up red. It was red upon boot and in Windows. I couldn't tell you precisely what bulb was lit, as it's dark in there but I know it was right below the motherboard power connector.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DoombatINC posted:

Through a combination of rebates and coupon codes, there's a 6650 XT for $260 at Newegg

Sir Lemming posted:

Dang that's tempting, even though I too was leaning more in the Nvidia direction mostly due to brand loyalty/inertia.

I'm guessing the "Radeon Raise the Game bundle valued at $119" probably shouldn't really factor into this decision, right? Just asking for clarity's sake...

I ended up going this route. Excited to install my first new graphics card since 2018.

On a fun side note I was looking up reviews for the card from other places and Amazon had a lot of 1-star reviews. Apparently Amazon and/or MSI had some problem where if you bought that exact model card from Amazon there was a decent chance they sent you an MSI RTX 3050 instead. On guy even bought 3 of them and got 1 6650 and 2 3050s. :psyduck:

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

What are you using the system for? Gaming, watching streaming video
What’s your budget? $1,700, $2,000 max if I get something incredible

I built my current PC in 2014 for gaming. I've wanted to build a new one for a while but prices are crazy and my 970 has been chugging along like a beast. I don't want to pay 40xx prices but I'm not sure if I'm saving enough with the 3070 ti "budget" build below. My monitors are 1080p. I don't have a reason to upgrade them right now. My goal is to build something that plays new AAA games on high settings and 60+fps for the next few years. Am I missing anything and what would you change?

My prices are from the Microcenter PC builder.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($246.98)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Gravity i3 56.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($179.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($649.99)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99)
Total: $1,535.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-12 20:00 EST-0500

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wilderthanmild posted:

I ended up going this route. Excited to install my first new graphics card since 2018.

I pulled the trigger as well, pretty excited about it. I went ahead and added those 2 games since they were free, but I watched the trailers and I really don't want them in the slightest so I'll have to see if I can sell/donate the keys to someone :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don’t know about GPU freebies, but AMD’s CPU bundled games now require a system check. They won’t activate without the right part. Though I don’t remember if you just need the same model.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I believe once you submit the keys to AMD, they check your system and then give you simple steam keys. It's not like steam itself can do the checking for AMD, and AMD can't add the games to your steam account themselves.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Is this just a bad time to be looking for a mini-ITX board? Seems like a bunch are out of stock, the rest are split between DDR4 and 5 so there are fewer options. B760 looks like it's just starting to trickle out, so maybe the B660s aren't being restocked? 790s are like $300+.

I was looking at the Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA LITE DDR4 but then realized it's PCIE 3.0 and I have a 5700XT GPU which is 4.0. Is that going to make much of a difference?

Doesn't make sense to me to buy a MB spec'ed lower than the card I've got. Should I just wait for some more 760 and 790 boards to come out? I was hoping to stick with DDR4 for budget reasons, but I guess those will all be DDR5 boards, huh?

I'm going with a 12600K since it's the same price as the non-K version, but I'm not interested in overclocking.

I guess these are my current options? What's the difference?
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA PLUS DDR4
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4

e: nevermind just read this in one of the reviews.

quote:

changing to 2 star for this board version since Gigabyte have admitted Gen4 is broken on these boards and to get a working board or refund you must use an Exchange/Refund program. The existing stock of boards seems to be relabelled to "Aorus Ultra Lite" with only Gen3
Guess I'll wait a bit and see what else comes out.

e2: or save up a bit more and go with DDR5 and this? What's the deal with all these huge shrouds on mini-itx boards though?
Asus ROG STRIX B660-I

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 13, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

Is this just a bad time to be looking for a mini-ITX board? Seems like a bunch are out of stock, the rest are split between DDR4 and 5 so there are fewer options. B760 looks like it's just starting to trickle out, so maybe the B660s aren't being restocked? 790s are like $300+.

I was looking at the Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA LITE DDR4 but then realized it's PCIE 3.0 and I have a 5700XT GPU which is 4.0. Is that going to make much of a difference?

Doesn't make sense to me to buy a MB spec'ed lower than the card I've got. Should I just wait for some more 760 and 790 boards to come out? I was hoping to stick with DDR4 for budget reasons, but I guess those will all be DDR5 boards, huh?

I'm going with a 12600K since it's the same price as the non-K version, but I'm not interested in overclocking.

I guess these are my current options? What's the difference?
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA PLUS DDR4
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4

e: nevermind just read this in one of the reviews.

Guess I'll wait a bit and see what else comes out.

e2: or save up a bit more and go with DDR5 and this? What's the deal with all these huge shrouds on mini-itx boards though?
Asus ROG STRIX B660-I

Do you already have a SFF PSU because the price of them is what keeps me from doing more M-ITX builds in cases that you can't fit a full size PSU in...

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

VelociBacon posted:

Do you already have a SFF PSU because the price of them is what keeps me from doing more M-ITX builds in cases that you can't fit a full size PSU in...

I already bought a Torrent Nano case which takes normal ATX power supplies, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wifi Toilet posted:

Is this just a bad time to be looking for a mini-ITX board?

It's really bad for itx on the new gen CPUs atm. I went with the ASRock z690m since it fulfilled all of my needs (USB-c, wifi, pcie higher than 3.0) under a budget at the same price as their b660 boards. Even then the higher tier boards don't add any value but cost 100$s more. Those huge heatsinks are needed to keep the vrms cool. It just seems like the board manufacturers don't know what to do with all the power that the new CPUs need and how most gamers use their boards vs how sff PC builders build around space and power.

The ASRock z690 is an ok board tho. But it has some stupid design choices. Half the vrms have no heatsink, there is a fan header that is very difficult to plug in because the nvme heatsink butts into it. The bios is an ASRock bios so unlike the MSI boards doesn't have the full suit of preset options for tinkering with your CPU easily. I'm still trying to figure out a way to undervolt my 13600k. The bios recently got updated to allow for more power for the CPU and was limited to something like 125w before for p2.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Well, now that I'm looking at DDR5 I've got some more things to learn. The G.Skill 5600 modules I'm looking at come in 28, 30 and 36 CAS versions. Probably won't notice a difference right? But it's only $20 more to get the 28 over the 36, so...

e: Looking like these will end up being my core components, what did I screw up?

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($247.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 ZERO DARK 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($177.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $795.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 00:53 EST-0500

As mentioned elsewhere, GPU is Powercolor 5700XT and case is a Torrent Nano. 750W PS should be good right?

e: actually do I want 5600-28cl or 6000-32cl ram if they're the same price?

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 13, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I believe once you submit the keys to AMD, they check your system and then give you simple steam keys. It's not like steam itself can do the checking for AMD, and AMD can't add the games to your steam account themselves.

no, there's a system where you sign in with steam after the amd tool checks your system and then it adds the game to your account. no steam keys involved, obviously to avoid reselling

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hi guys, quick question about upgrading my CPU: since I have a am4 socket I'm thinking about upgrading from my Ryzen 3600 to a 5 series CPU. I'm currently running a 3070 that I don't plan to upgrade in this generation baring any significant price drops, mostly in 1440p and almost exclusively for games of all kinds. I'm wondering which upgrade would make sense for me. Using the Mobo a bit longer makes sense so I'd need a new cooler plus cpu, of which there's anything between 5600x and 5900x to consider.

Currently I'm wondering if a 5800x or 5800x3d makes sense, they cost 250 and 375 euro respectively. The 3d is quite a bit more expensive and I'm not sure the extra performance would make that much sense with the current gpu, but it could possible be a good basis for an upgrade in the future.

Is there a common best bang for the buck sweet spot for a 3070 that I'm not aware of? I don't have a set budget but with hardware I prefer a good value over cutting edge.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're upgrading AM4, get the 5800X3D, it's going to be among the best CPUs you can get for gaming for some time yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

lih posted:

no, there's a system where you sign in with steam after the amd tool checks your system and then it adds the game to your account. no steam keys involved, obviously to avoid reselling

Ah well. First world problems and all that. I'm glad the deal was good enough without the freebie.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Doobie Keebler posted:

What are you using the system for? Gaming, watching streaming video
What’s your budget? $1,700, $2,000 max if I get something incredible

I built my current PC in 2014 for gaming. I've wanted to build a new one for a while but prices are crazy and my 970 has been chugging along like a beast. I don't want to pay 40xx prices but I'm not sure if I'm saving enough with the 3070 ti "budget" build below. My monitors are 1080p. I don't have a reason to upgrade them right now. My goal is to build something that plays new AAA games on high settings and 60+fps for the next few years. Am I missing anything and what would you change?

My prices are from the Microcenter PC builder.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($246.98)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Gravity i3 56.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($179.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($649.99)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99)
Total: $1,535.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-12 20:00 EST-0500

Spend a couple of extra bucks and get a better cooler, because the one you chose is going to sound like a jet engine under load. An extra $10 will get you a Pure Rock Slim 2, an extra $15 will get you a Deepcool AK400, at least based on Microcenter's website.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: actually do I want 5600-28cl or 6000-32cl ram if they're the same price?

I'd go for the higher frequency, the overall latency difference is less than a nanosecond.

I'm looking at upgrading my uncle's 3600X to a 5800X3D. He's got a Hyper 212, will that do the work or should we do the cooler, too? Any picks for something compact with good RAM clearance? RGB preferred.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 13, 2023

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is EVGA still okay for PSUs?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

What are you using the system for? Data/ML portfolio building and hobby
What’s your budget? ~$1k

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($303.98 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Whatever this thing is ($0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($50.00 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory ($215.96 @ Microcenter (open box))
Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (Purchased For $259.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $829.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 15:59 EST-0500

I'm running out of (32GB) memory for some absurd LSTM Keras models, and I could use some more cores (than the current 4) for Numba crunching.

The CPU/MB combo choice is driven by this Microcenter $50 motherboard combo. i7 over i5 because it's only $60 more.

There are two choices for motherboard, the Z690-A and Z690-PLUS. The A has 256Mb AMI UEFI Bios, whereas the PLUS has 192. I cannot imagine the extra ROM outweighs the built-in wifi.

$216 for open box RAM seems like a good deal; does the fact that there are three open boxes available indicate something ~wrong~ with that RAM?

All the $0.00 stuff came with the PC I inherited. I don't need the RAID-10 array enough to sweat the missing SATA slot for it.

I am somewhat worried about the "missing" power connector from the power supply. :\

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Listerine posted:

I wonder if they are going to stick around to honor those warranties.

They do make good PSUs.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

spunkshui posted:

I wonder if they are going to stick around to honor those warranties.

They do make good PSUs.

Oh I forgot about that; what's a good alternative?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Normal Barbarian posted:

What are you using the system for? Data/ML portfolio building and hobby
What’s your budget? ~$1k

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($303.98 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Whatever this thing is ($0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($50.00 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory ($215.96 @ Microcenter (open box))
Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (Purchased For $259.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $829.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 15:59 EST-0500

I'm running out of (32GB) memory for some absurd LSTM Keras models, and I could use some more cores (than the current 4) for Numba crunching.

The CPU/MB combo choice is driven by this Microcenter $50 motherboard combo. i7 over i5 because it's only $60 more.

There are two choices for motherboard, the Z690-A and Z690-PLUS. The A has 256Mb AMI UEFI Bios, whereas the PLUS has 192. I cannot imagine the extra ROM outweighs the built-in wifi.

$216 for open box RAM seems like a good deal; does the fact that there are three open boxes available indicate something ~wrong~ with that RAM?

All the $0.00 stuff came with the PC I inherited. I don't need the RAID-10 array enough to sweat the missing SATA slot for it.

I am somewhat worried about the "missing" power connector from the power supply. :\

Couple of things here...

1. Please get an NVME drive. A Western Digital SN570 would be more than sufficient. I just think it's time to let that Corsair Neutron go on to do other things than serve as your boot drive.
2. I was going to comment on the PSU and GPU, but since you've bought those already, OK. You could do better, so if you can return them you might consider doing so. GPU recommendations would depend on your graphics needs. Are you gaming, what resolution, et cetera would be the crucial questions there.

Memory seems OK, but I think DDR5-6000 is preferable, but that would come with some costs. Benchmarks don't make it seem like a runaway win, but I'm admittedly not too well versed in the DDR5 world. One last bit though is that Micro Center does not seem to offer the best pricing for memory in general, so definitely shop it around a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

$260 for a 3060 seems fine? Keep in mind that what he's doing heavily favors Nvidia GPUs over AMD ones. And he doesn't say he's gaming on it so he's probably not? I also don't know if faster system memory is going to help much with ML and poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 13, 2023

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there any practical use for 1x PCIe slots?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WiFi/ethernet adapters, sound cards (apparently some people still buy those for some reason), USB cards, and all sorts of other random poo poo comes in the form of x1 expansion cards.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Farecoal posted:

Dolby Heaphone in Asus Xonar cards rather than software via Windows Sonic or Atmos from windows store.

Once you get hooked on the original its impossible to kick the DH habit.

xonars used to be $23 brand new on amazon. Now... much more.

Also these sexy thangs, which are just $42 and $45 respectively.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Listerine posted:

Yes and they famously have 10 year warranty periods but personally I have doubts about whether they will exist in 10 years now that they don't sell GPUs. We'll see, I guess.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

VelociBacon posted:

Yes and they famously have 10 year warranty periods but personally I have doubts about whether they will exist in 10 years now that they don't sell GPUs. We'll see, I guess.

What's a good alternate PSU manufacturer if I don't want to roll the dice on EVGA staying in business?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

GPUs were their least money making operation because of the ridiculously slim margins iirc, they should be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Listerine posted:

What's a good alternate PSU manufacturer if I don't want to roll the dice on EVGA staying in business?

Corsair and Seasonic are the two other biggest names in power supplies. Seasonic makes their own PSUs and is also an OEM that supplies their PSU platforms to other companies who want to use them. Corsair is one of the companies that sources their PSU platforms from OEMs, but they also do some custom work and maintain a high level of quality, particularly with their gold-rated and higher PSUs. Corsair probably has the best reputation in the PC building community.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

grack posted:

Spend a couple of extra bucks and get a better cooler, because the one you chose is going to sound like a jet engine under load. An extra $10 will get you a Pure Rock Slim 2, an extra $15 will get you a Deepcool AK400, at least based on Microcenter's website.

Thanks for this. If I can't find a better cooler in the store tomorrow I'll order it online.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

My current computer I use one for a wifi/bluetooth card, but for all previous ones I only used it for ethernet or sound cards when ports on the motherboard went bad.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Farecoal posted:

My capture card uses a 1x slot.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

VelociBacon posted:

From what I understand, EVGA was making such miniscule net profit on NVidia GPU's, that I'd wager the hit they're taking won't be too bad (after figuring out what to do with their GPU division).

e: f;b

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 14, 2023

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

nitsuga posted:

Couple of things here...

1. Please get an NVME drive. A Western Digital SN570 would be more than sufficient. I just think it's time to let that Corsair Neutron go on to do other things than serve as your boot drive.
2. I was going to comment on the PSU and GPU, but since you've bought those already, OK. You could do better, so if you can return them you might consider doing so. GPU recommendations would depend on your graphics needs. Are you gaming, what resolution, et cetera would be the crucial questions there.

Memory seems OK, but I think DDR5-6000 is preferable, but that would come with some costs. Benchmarks don't make it seem like a runaway win, but I'm admittedly not too well versed in the DDR5 world. One last bit though is that Micro Center does not seem to offer the best pricing for memory in general, so definitely shop it around a bit.

I am happy to let any/all things go. I saved this machine from the e-waste pile. I have no sunk costs (minus the GPU). If a new PSU would be in order, I can get one. I will look for memory elsewhere.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

$260 for a 3060 seems fine? Keep in mind that what he's doing heavily favors Nvidia GPUs over AMD ones. And he doesn't say he's gaming on it so he's probably not? I also don't know if faster system memory is going to help much with ML and poo poo.

Yep; I don't game, and I want CUDA cores. The 3060 was a cheap(ish?) way to get 12GB GPU RAM. You're right about the system memory speed.

I keep circling back around to refurbished workstations. I assume the issue would be making sure the motherboard plays nice with the 3060, if that's a thing? Bleh.

It's also way less fun.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Normal Barbarian posted:

I keep circling back around to refurbished workstations. I assume the issue would be making sure the motherboard plays nice with the 3060, if that's a thing? Bleh.

It's also way less fun.

I used a refurb dell workstation as a Plex machine for a bit but within a year or so I got rid of it since I couldn't use off the shelf parts I had due to all the Dell parts. I'm sure the mobo would work with the 3060, but the PSU might not, and you can't use a regular psu since the Dell mobo uses some special ports (at least mine did).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So do the 13th gen benefit from 6000 or faster RAM? Ark says they top out at 5600 and I'm not seeing any tests of this.

ughhhh posted:

I used a refurb dell workstation as a Plex machine for a bit but within a year or so I got rid of it since I couldn't use off the shelf parts I had due to all the Dell parts. I'm sure the mobo would work with the 3060, but the PSU might not, and you can't use a regular psu since the Dell mobo uses some special ports (at least mine did).
My Optiplex needed a $2 adapter to work with a normal PSU, I can't say if it's the same for that workstation but might be something for the OP to check.

Oh I completely forgot I've seen this cooler on aliexpress a while ago. Should've ordered it in advance, there's no way something could go wrong when saving a few bucks on cooling :)

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Stotty posted:

Yeah thats an error on PC part picker - i think it's actually £560-ish

Part of my work from home stuff is using AutoCAD (probably should have put that in the post) so maybe went a bit over the top on CPU/RAM.

As Butterfly Valley says you can get a 3070 from eBuyer for £550 (just avoid the no-box / ex-display ones) or a 3070Ti for £590 - I'm surprised that the prices of these still haven't come down since the 40xx launch, I managed to snag a 3070 on Christmas Day 2020 for £520