Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://twitter.com/sprguinness/status/1613783303907147776?s=46&t=xZZadlOlbAfTF1Ka0NfmRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

kefkafloyd posted:

I need to buy this when it comes out so I can mod it into a Mystery Shack.

I was just thinking that there's going to be SO many Mystery Shack mods.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

This is really cute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Tie Bomber is really good. I wasn't that impressed with it in pics, but bought it anyways because it's been one of the ships I have wanted for years. I always seem to like the Lego ties more once I build them and it's on the shelf, but I think it might be the best one they have done. looks really nice and is built like a rock with the exception of the little bomb dropper thing on the bottom that I keep knocking off. The value on it is actually not bad considering the current state of Lego prices. The weight feels about the same as the regular Tie with normal scale wings from Solo. And that was $15 more with no little side build like 4+ years ago. It scales a little weird next to the other ones and looks a bit small though. Not enough that it's a huge deal but the canopy is so tiny.

Minifigs are pretty meh though. Darth Vader is obviously an ace figure, but I feel like most people that would buy that set already have a bunch of him. Tie Pilot is a no brainer, but I already have so many of them. Obviously that would be included though.Gonk droid doesn't really count regardless of what the box says. And the last one is some EU character I have never heard of. Would have been nice to get a unique OT character with the set that is clearly OT. A new Moff Tarkin or something would have been nice.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I, uh, may have bought the Titanic. I had 100$ of VIP points waiting to be used and saw the last Titanic sitting on the shelf and decided to treat myself. Holy poo poo was the box heavy, lugging that thing around the Dallas mall was an adventure.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

VaultAggie posted:

I, uh, may have bought the Titanic. I had 100$ of VIP points waiting to be used and saw the last Titanic sitting on the shelf and decided to treat myself. Holy poo poo was the box heavy, lugging that thing around the Dallas mall was an adventure.

It's an amazing model and a great building experience. Just, uh, make sure you have somewhere to put it - mine is still sitting on the floor next to my bed since I haven't quite figured it out yet :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VaultAggie posted:

Titanic owns. I really enjoyed the build and looks great on the shelf if you’ve got the right place for it. It fits perfectly on the counter in these built ins we’ve got in our hallways.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Titanic rules, such an amazing model.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

More pics of the A-Frame, looks pretty amazing

https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-ideas-31338-a-frame-huette-offiziell-vorgestellt-162018/

179€

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's very pretty but it seems kinda pricy

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

The Tie Bomber is really good. I wasn't that impressed with it in pics, but bought it anyways because it's been one of the ships I have wanted for years. I always seem to like the Lego ties more once I build them and it's on the shelf, but I think it might be the best one they have done. looks really nice and is built like a rock with the exception of the little bomb dropper thing on the bottom that I keep knocking off. The value on it is actually not bad considering the current state of Lego prices. The weight feels about the same as the regular Tie with normal scale wings from Solo. And that was $15 more with no little side build like 4+ years ago. It scales a little weird next to the other ones and looks a bit small though. Not enough that it's a huge deal but the canopy is so tiny.

Minifigs are pretty meh though. Darth Vader is obviously an ace figure, but I feel like most people that would buy that set already have a bunch of him. Tie Pilot is a no brainer, but I already have so many of them. Obviously that would be included though.Gonk droid doesn't really count regardless of what the box says. And the last one is some EU character I have never heard of. Would have been nice to get a unique OT character with the set that is clearly OT. A new Moff Tarkin or something would have been nice.

I just got done building it and for some reason I was worried it was going to be bland but I like it a lot. My next build is the inquisitor scythe which I'm very excited for.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

179?? What the hell

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 13, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

2000ish pieces for 180€ sounds okay but yeah (maybe it’s bigger than it looks?) (maybe maybe it’s ooops all small pieces)

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's an amazing model and a great building experience. Just, uh, make sure you have somewhere to put it - mine is still sitting on the floor next to my bed since I haven't quite figured it out yet :v:

This is beautiful, like those pictures when the actual ship was being built at H&W

(I didn't combine any of the segments til the final assembly)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I just got done building it and for some reason I was worried it was going to be bland but I like it a lot. My next build is the inquisitor scythe which I'm very excited for.

Yeah looking at the box pics bland was my thoughts as well, but it's definitely not at all once you build it. As far as Lego Tie Fighters go there's more detail than I'm used to to and it's much smoother and sleeker than most of them. I think my mind is warped from years of debating building one of the many cool MOCs people have done via bricklink but they are all like 1700 parts and hundreds of dollars to part out. What Lego did was good for the scale and reasonable price point.

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's too bad that's your kitchen table because that mirrored black looks so nice for display.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It's too bad that's your kitchen table because that mirrored black looks so nice for display.

Get a custom sized sheet of black acrylic, put model on to of it. :v:

Lots of plastics suppliers out there that will cut to any size one wants.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

Get a custom sized sheet of black acrylic, put model on to of it. :v:

Lots of plastics suppliers out there that will cut to any size one wants.

I just thought about doing this for my star wars sets until I looked at arcyllic sheet prices on the Home Depot website and I think I'm good haha. It would be like 200 dollars just for the shelf my Star Destroyer is on and thousands for everything. When did plexiglass get so goddamn expensive?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I just thought about doing this for my star wars sets until I looked at arcyllic sheet prices on the Home Depot website and I think I'm good haha. It would be like 200 dollars just for the shelf my Star Destroyer is on and thousands for everything. When did plexiglass get so goddamn expensive?

That doesn't seem right. I just picked a random vendor from a google search and these folks will get you a 36"x36" square of black acrylic for $64. So it's definitely not cheap.. but it's not thousands either.

https://www.plasticareinc.com/acrylic-plexiglass-sheet-colored-fluorescent.html

(no idea on shipping, my investigation does not include that service)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's pretty in line with what I was looking at. Thousands was probably an exaggeration, but the ISD is almost 4 feet long (on a 5 foot shelf) so I'd be looking at buying a 9 foot sheet I'd have to cut down, which is over $250 for that set alone, but I could probably get a few more shelves out of nine feet. Just one of my shelf units would be easily $500 and I have others.

I wonder if you can buy the thinner stuff that is used in cheap picture frames in bulk. That would probably work pretty well.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Display cases rock! Sucks to clean, though, especially when moving stuff around :/

tuo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tuo posted:

Display cases rock! Sucks to clean, though, especially when moving stuff around :/

I’d rather clean around the case than dust exposed Lego though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Definitely, though they stain super easy even when you wash and thoroughly dry your hands before touching them. I usually use gloves to handle them, but as soon as you forget it one time and handle a couple of them...it's bad (as seen in this pic). I just recently put up the shelves in that room and still have to sort the ships (there are sadly a lot more than on the pic...), rearrange the cases by background and theme....orient the ships...then you realize you forgot again to put on the gloves for 15 mins and cry a little.

Plus static becomes a problem when you have pets like a cat or a dog. Sigh...hope I'll be done with the room soon so it makes sense to give all of them a thorough cleaning. They still are absolute magnets for pet hair and dust. I try to run some kind of fan in the opposite direction/out the window when opening them so not too much dust gets inside, but again...you forget it for couple of mins and it's back to the cold shower for some crying. :negative:

Swiffer works wonders though (as it does with open Lego)

btw: at least these ones aren't that expensive. I think like 50 bucks a piece when you buy them in bulk. They are not as thick and high quality as the ones I currently can't remember the name but everyone knows, but as Veni said, those are super expensive, especially for huge sets like ISD or Falcon. Often more expensive than the actual Lego set :/

e: Wicked Brick cases. I have some stands from them for like the Falcon, and one display case for the Creator Porsche. Really high quality, but super expensive.

tuo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 14, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A few weeks back I told my kid about my hated nemesis growing up : my sister's sulfur crested cockatoo that would shriek all day every day

He saw it in the Lego catalog as part of the rabbit 3 in 1, and then saw 2 brown studs next to it and starts yelling it's poop!! I'm gonna buy this for you for father's Day and you can't stop me!

Lego , stop putting animal poop in your ads

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the cockatoo turds just closed a sale, sounds like lego's doing something right

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lego thread: buttholes n poop

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When you see it you'll brick shits

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tuo posted:

We're gonna need a bigger iceberg.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Should come with green and white ice creams for a cockatoo, if it’s anything like a cockatiel.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
In the instructions for the train set (4565), there are a lot of pictures of alternate builds.
Are there instructions somewhere for those builds? They look fun and my kid wants to build them, but idk if I can just figure it out from looking at the pictures...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Probably not unless fans have made some. A lot of those old sets would have little pictures of alt builds that seemed to mostly exist as inspiration.

But yeah as a kid I had no idea how to pull them off just looking at them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If there are instructions they will be on the Lego website.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

shut up blegum posted:

In the instructions for the train set (4565), there are a lot of pictures of alternate builds.
Are there instructions somewhere for those builds? They look fun and my kid wants to build them, but idk if I can just figure it out from looking at the pictures...
Fun fact: parents calling LEGO to ask about instructions is a large part of why LEGO doesn't show potential alternate builds on the backs of boxes anymore!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thx, I hate it. "Kids are asking for instructions to spend more time with the toys we sell". "remove the alternate pics, that should get rid of the problem".

I remember spending the first two or three days as a kid figuring out which of the A, B C and D builds I wanted to play with first from a new Technic set. It wasn't even "this is boring now, lets see what else I can build", it literally tore down each build within half an hour of checking out the finished build just to see what the next one offers, to then settle on the first one I want to play with. Literally dozens of hours from a single set.

At least creator 3-in-1 exists.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The correct answer is to stop including any instructions altogether. Chaos reigns :krakken:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's a tough spot to be in. If Lego releases instructions, there's a bunch of boxes to check. They would need to assign people to test them, then redesign around any fiddly or unstable or illegal parts of the build in a photo someone in their office was just messing around with. If they release instructions without that quality control, they're going to get complaints from the opposite direction.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg why in 2023 they couldn't just put alt builds on the box with a QR code next to them that says "scan me for instructions!" and then links to a PDF. it seems like the alt builds they used to include pics of where always designed with the same standards in mind as the official builds. It's not like they were fan builds or anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They do actually sell sets with paper instructions for alt builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Idg why in 2023 they couldn't just put alt builds on the box with a QR code next to them that says "scan me for instructions!" and then links to a PDF.

I think they did this with the very last wave(s) of Technic sets that featured a B set. It no longer included the printed instructions, but a note that you can download the instructions from the website. Then they stopped the B sets alltogether IIRC two or three years ago.

Some B sets were really good, like the one for the big red wheeled crane. I even checked them out as an adult to see how they use the motors and stuff.

e: having just sold my Minecraft collection, I just realized some of them still had up to four builds in one set, plus of course the ones that were ment to be highly modular to combine. No idea if they still do this with Minecraft...hope so.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 14, 2023