Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

pentyne posted:

You owe it to yourself to play until you are smashing your head against the wall in frustration because you can't figure out what to do next, and then look up the solutions. I kind of regret doing it instead of solving everything but the whole story and presentation is so incredible that it was worth it.

I'll keep this in mind, as I spoiled some amazing reveals in The Witness by buckling too soon and looking up guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had look up I think two things in Outer Wilds and they were things right at the tail end of their respective bread crumb trails. Unless you’ve exhausted literally everything else to do (PROTIP: Switch your ship’s computer to Rumor mode) then don’t look it up.

Actually now that I think about it I had to look up a third thing but that’s only because I completely forgot about one of the tools you get at the beginning of the game. Slightly less PROTIP: Don’t forget about your signalscope!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

Eagerly anticipating a "I don't get the hype, this just seems like a mediocre rpg shooter" post as the wilds/worlds distinction claims another soul.
shh don't curse it

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Gromit posted:

I'll keep this in mind, as I spoiled some amazing reveals in The Witness by buckling too soon and looking up guides.

Don't look anything up, the solutions are all right there. Make good use of your ships conspiracy-board and read and examine everything in an area until it doesn't say "there is more to explore here" anymore. That said, don't get too hung up on trying to "complete" any one place before moving on. If you feel stuck, pick another location, either at random or because of something on the noticeboard, and go poke around there instead for a while. It doesn't matter what order you do anything in really.

One other small non-spoilery QoL realisation I had a little way into the game that I wished I'd noticed sooner, that I'll cover up anyway in-case you want to go in completely game-mechanically blind: Time pauses when you're reading your translator if you don't move the camera, so relax.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

As someone who likes Division 2 but is basically done with it in any significant way it’s basically the same. While there were fairly significant changes in terms of how health/armor works, different skills added, and the open world city part of the game actually has a purpose beyond the first time you run through it you’re still taking cover and shooting things with guns mostly while numbers go up. If you can believe it there’s even less story and character than the first game.

You technically have a bit more skinner since there’s a a wider variety of stats but for complicated reasons I’m not going to go into there’s only a handful that are useful.

How does the encounter design feel as a solo player? I think that's the big thing giving me pause- I liked the look and ambiance of D1, and the shootbanging was pretty fun, but so many missions and areas were obviously built for groups that I felt like I was missing a solid 60% of the game's skill options in favor of the turret being pretty much mandatory to keep from getting outflanked.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Another Outer Wilds protip: Your ship computer can track objects and put a HUD marker on your screen pointing to them.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks for the non-spoiler tips. Right now they are just confusing the hell out of me because I don't remember what the game is about AT ALL. :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of the things that will really try your patience is having to race to try and get at something that becomes inaccessible after a set amount of time passes. There's a few points where it requires a bit of platforming and if you bungle it much then it's a wasted effort. The key thing though is to visit the giant planet where there's a guy in a hammock, keep going back to visit him until he teaches you a special ability.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

ymgve posted:

Outer Wilds small spoiler, should be safe to read: There's a dude in a hammock. Talk to him each time you encounter him to learn something useful.

I am still so loving pissed that it took me 20 hours to find that. I found him and spoke to him, exhausting his dialogue trees really early on, and figured that was it. Surprise, motherfucker!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I wish I went into Outer Wilds as blind as you, I knew a few things because of internet osmosis and while it is still one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, I wish I could have been surprised by a couple things.

Namely the supernova and the time loop itself. (don't look at this one, it's for other people who've played)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Croccers posted:

And because it has to be done:

Goddammit :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How does the encounter design feel as a solo player? I think that's the big thing giving me pause- I liked the look and ambiance of D1, and the shootbanging was pretty fun, but so many missions and areas were obviously built for groups that I felt like I was missing a solid 60% of the game's skill options in favor of the turret being pretty much mandatory to keep from getting outflanked.

That’s probably still accurate in area design though I never felt that way in Division 1 so it’s hard to say. There’s a pretty wide gulf between the mission design and the open world design. Missions are fairly cramped a lot of the time but outside there’s a ton of space. Both extremes can help and hurt with enemies making their way around you. I played most of the regular game solo the first time and grouped afterwards so it’s perfectly doable.

Also if being forced into using specific skills in Division 1 was a problem though then I’m afraid that if anything Division 2 made that even worse. Besides skills being pretty bad if you aren’t specced into using them a lot of the skills are either too hard to use because you have to manually aim them or they were too powerful and have since been nerfed too much. This almost necessarily means using the turret again and/or a drone… with a turret on it, because they just shoot things on their own. Purely using guns outside of some utility skills like a shield or a self-revive skill is just simpler and even more effective a lot of the time.

It’s very much a “some steps forward and some steps back” kind of sequel. It also has a complicated update history which over time has made the game at odds with itself in some respects - which is probably why it sounds like I don’t like it even though I actually do quite a bit but I also really enjoyed the first game too. Taken purely as a shooter with a heavy stat component I think there’s a fun to be had (if your idea of fun involves the quest for a bigger number a lot of the time) but I’m not sure if it would be that much different from the first game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I only played an hour of Division 2 but it really annoyed me at how cool the snowed-in city looked in Division 1while Division 2 looks like the most generic brown shooter ever.

Also it runs like absolute garbage, just like all Ubisoft games do. Not that Division 1 ran well either.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
how many people played the mod dystopia?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mod Dystopia? Like on The Something Awful Forums Dot Com? :v: (I kid, please don't send me to cat jail :ohdear: )

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Grognan posted:

Well I don't know how many people played it but I was one of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grognan posted:

[ glances at the smouldering ruins of QCS ]

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jack Trades posted:

I only played an hour of Division 2 but it really annoyed me at how cool the snowed-in city looked in Division 1while Division 2 looks like the most generic grown shooter ever.

Do you mean brown? If anything I remember 2 as bring more green, and the big "dungeons" are really diverse. The atmosphere of 1 is hard to top though, still want my Freedom Fighters 2 in that engine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Continuing my dive into PS3 era racing (I was impressed by Fuel), Blur is another four letter game that was delisted from Steam and essentially abandoned by its publisher.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't forget Haze.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sadly, pc gamers were spared that one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Do you mean brown? If anything I remember 2 as bring more green, and the big "dungeons" are really diverse. The atmosphere of 1 is hard to top though, still want my Freedom Fighters 2 in that engine.

Yeah, I meant to type "brown".
Sure, there's some green as well but I just thought that it looked like any other shooter out there, while the first game looked fairly unique.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Don't forget Haze.

Man, Haze always sounded like a really cool concept that didn't get nearly the execution it deserved.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

That’s probably still accurate in area design though I never felt that way in Division 1 so it’s hard to say. There’s a pretty wide gulf between the mission design and the open world design. Missions are fairly cramped a lot of the time but outside there’s a ton of space. Both extremes can help and hurt with enemies making their way around you. I played most of the regular game solo the first time and grouped afterwards so it’s perfectly doable.

Also if being forced into using specific skills in Division 1 was a problem though then I’m afraid that if anything Division 2 made that even worse. Besides skills being pretty bad if you aren’t specced into using them a lot of the skills are either too hard to use because you have to manually aim them or they were too powerful and have since been nerfed too much. This almost necessarily means using the turret again and/or a drone… with a turret on it, because they just shoot things on their own. Purely using guns outside of some utility skills like a shield or a self-revive skill is just simpler and even more effective a lot of the time.

It’s very much a “some steps forward and some steps back” kind of sequel. It also has a complicated update history which over time has made the game at odds with itself in some respects - which is probably why it sounds like I don’t like it even though I actually do quite a bit but I also really enjoyed the first game too. Taken purely as a shooter with a heavy stat component I think there’s a fun to be had (if your idea of fun involves the quest for a bigger number a lot of the time) but I’m not sure if it would be that much different from the first game.

This is useful, thank you for the writeup! For nine bucks I might give it a shot- I never finished the first one, but I did have fun with it warts and all.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Sure, there's some green as well but I just thought that it looked like any other shooter out there, while the first game looked fairly unique.

the style of 1 is unbeaten, but still the engine and level of detail of 2 is amazing. I wish almost any other studio would own the talent that made snowdrop because that beauty is wasted on multiplayer military loot shooters or any ubi game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jack Trades posted:

Fair enough, the city map is certainly less unique in atmosphere than 1, though if you stilI own it I do recommend playing through it for the story dungeons. Those I thought were better than they were in 1.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grognan posted:

Dystopia?

Loved it back in the day, the cyberspace stuff was outstanding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

haldolium posted:

the style of 1 is unbeaten, but still the engine and level of detail of 2 is amazing. I wish almost any other studio would own the talent that made snowdrop because that beauty is wasted on multiplayer military loot shooters or any ubi game.

Yeah the worst thing about the Division is that these painstakingly detailed replicas of Washington DC and lower Manhattan are wasted on semi-realistic cover shooters instead of literally anything else.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how their response to the Extreme Winter for Div1 was ~*SUMMER*~.
But not even an extreme Mad Max like summer or Super Mega Fire Season Summer
Just plain ol' summer. :effort:

At least Watched Dogs Legion had some fancy screens put up.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Grognan posted:

the Half-Life 2 mod with hacking? Good poo poo

Estel
May 4, 2010
Division 2 like 1 has a weather system and you can go from sunny day to windy, light rain, heavy rain, thunderstorms, fog, dust storms and some of the effects are really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKKmKE4Qwg

And Division2 is a beautiful game, saying 2 is just brown is like saying 1 is just white and snow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Estel posted:

Division 2 like 1 has a weather system and you can go from sunny day to windy, light rain, heavy rain, thunderstorms, fog, dust storms and some of the effects are really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKKmKE4Qwg

And Division2 is a beautiful game, saying 2 is just brown is like saying 1 is just white and snow.

Division 1 is just white and snow, but very few games do white and snow, which is what makes it look novel.

The video you linked is technically impressive but aesthetically boring. There's not a single frame there that isn't brown or grey.

Grey

Brown

Grey

Grey

Grey and Brown

Grey and a little green, whoa!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think you're unfair on that hallway, I really like that sunny orange lighting there, but generally yes nothing in Division 2 is quite as striking as the beautiful and haunting snow stricken apocalyptic New York.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think you're unfair on that hallway, I really like that sunny orange lighting there, but generally yes nothing in Division 2 is quite as striking as the beautiful and haunting snow stricken apocalyptic New York.

That hallway is just so de-saturated, it reminds me way too much of DOOM 2016's worst looking levels, the hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division 2 looks fine. It has lots of brown and greens because... the natural vegetation of Washington DC is green mixed with industrial centers. It's not especially lacking in dramatic lighting and doesn't look particularly washed out like a game from 2011. Not as compelling visually as wintertime New York, but what can ya do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SirSamVimes posted:

I wish I went into Outer Wilds as blind as you, I knew a few things because of internet osmosis and while it is still one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, I wish I could have been surprised by a couple things.

Namely the supernova and the time loop itself. (don't look at this one, it's for other people who've played)

I need to go back and retry Outer Wilds. I did 2 runs, the 2nd one spent a load of time waiting to die as I had hosed up a landing so had to just wait to run out of oxygen and I just dropped the game. Does it have a quick reset option at any point?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mega Comrade posted:

I need to go back and retry Outer Wilds. I did 2 runs, the 2nd one spent a load of time waiting to die as I had hosed up a landing so had to just wait to run out of oxygen and I just dropped the game. Does it have a quick reset option at any point?

It does but you have to unlock it by going to a particular planet and meeting a particular person.

Specific spoilers:
Gabbro on Giant's Deep gives it to you

Estel
May 4, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That hallway is just so de-saturated, it reminds me way too much of DOOM 2016's worst looking levels, the hell.

That hallway looks like that because it's in the middle of a dust storm, also the game tries to look like a real city, don't know what you really expect about that. It's a city, looks like a city and there are lots of places with different colours and things in it but it's a city.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

but what can ya do.

Just keep expanding on The Division 1 instead of making a sequel. Keep making new content for Lower Manhatten and hey maybe even extend the map to other areas of NY over time.

And instead of setting it in seasons other than Winter, just go ham with the snow. Narratively work climate change into their post apocalypse and double down on snow and its effect on survival.

That's what I'd do, sat in my pants at home with zero game development or business experience, nearly 4 years after the sequel did actually come out. Yeah, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My brother bought me Starcraft 2 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying co-op with him. I would like to play co-op with more people, but I generally don't do voice chat. Where could I go to post to see if anyone wants to play with me? I'm still testing all the commanders and leveling them up.