Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Oenis posted:

Anything that's fun to play or even play against gets demolished by anything that's boring and stupid highroll aggro poo poo, I hate this game lately. Even implock is back in full force, a deck that's completely unchanged from last meta. Gimme better control tools blizzard.

would you settle for a new collection of Easter themed hero portraits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

*ahem* Springbirth festival, if you please

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Starsfan posted:

would you settle for a new collection of Easter themed hero portraits?
I remember when they first started releasing new hero portraits and people were actually excited by them but at this point I have dozens of them just hanging out in my collection from the rewards tracks and special events and whatever else and they feel completely irrelevant. I wonder who is buying the new hero skins and bundles that they release; are there like actual non-undead Sylvanas fans who were super hyped to see that portrait released?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

NorgLyle posted:

I remember when they first started releasing new hero portraits and people were actually excited by them but at this point I have dozens of them just hanging out in my collection from the rewards tracks and special events and whatever else and they feel completely irrelevant. I wonder who is buying the new hero skins and bundles that they release; are there like actual non-undead Sylvanas fans who were super hyped to see that portrait released?

They're going downhill too, the new animated DK portrait is hilariously bad and completely jars with the game's aesthetic, like a lovely photoshop cut and paste or something.

AnacondaHL posted:

This is (currently) not a thing outside of Top1000 legend, but it is a thing. In fact it's why I stopped playing ladder last season after getting ~1500 rank; to get x11 star bonus while also jamming Aggro Mage, since that deck was a cheap for me, and I play it well, but not match against the players who actually know how to exploit Miracle Rogue's bustedness (yet).

Been doing ok with aggro mage (was 70% WR to D10 but have been sliding closer to 50% since) but could be better, any hot tips?

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 10, 2023

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Sloppy posted:

Been doing ok with aggro mage (was 70% WR to D10 but have been sliding closer to 50% since) but could be better, any hot tips?

I would be interested in this also. I just hit legend with Spitter Hunter and I want to play something else for a bit.

Is the VS list still considered optimal?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sloppy posted:

fanny packrat posted:

I would be interested in this also. I just hit legend with Spitter Hunter and I want to play something else for a bit.

Is the VS list still considered optimal?

Yep vS list is still good

~Hot Tips~
The mulligan is by far the most important part of playing this deck, and is what I think defines success with the deck at different skill levels.

1-drops: Notably, you DO NOT just keep any 1-drop that arrives in your hand first. Only Shivering Sorceress is a 100% keep, with Irondeep Trogg a keep in good matchups (vs. DH/Druid/Rogue/Priest/Shaman). While the deck looks like a normal tempo curve deck with eight 1-drops (which is the classic amount to put in a deck to have high enough hypergeometric distribution to draw at least one by turn one, without flooding the deck with too many weak cards), that early tempo does not define the deck. In most games you actually want to draw your utility 1-drops later so you have a better idea how you will use that utility, AND you want them to pick up Aegwynn's buff. That said, yes just play the 2/2 on turn 1 if it's all you got, even if it doesn't reduce mana of anything in your hand.

2-drops: Amplified Snowflurry is usually a keep, everything else is not. This is the setup play that will swing tempo in your favor, both the 2/3 body and the option to freeze-ping whatever is needed for 0-mana. Sometimes the ping is used immediately to freeze face so your opponent has to awkwardly deal with your Irondeep Trogg some other way, sometimes it is saved all the way until turn 5 to setup a killer Deathborne.

3-drops: 100% keep Frostweave Dungeoneer. The tempo is insane and the card you get drives the deck forward. Never keep Arcsplitter; hopefully that is straightforward, but given everything above I cannot think of a single hand where keeping this 3-drop provides any significant value above one more chance to get a better card.

4-drops: Cold Case is a strong keep if you already found Shivering Sorceress, otherwise mull it away. Mull Sivara away 100%, as there just isn't time early to cast enough spells for this gameplan. If you manage your resources right you'll always have some three spells to use for activation when drawn later in the game.

5-drop: Aegwynn is more often a keep than not! If you're up against decks with enough removal (vs. DK/DH/Rogue/Priest/Warlock/Warrior) Aegwynn's spell damage recursion is the gameplan, and you want her on board Turn 5 ASAP. Going to reiterate here: this is the reason why you want 1-drops left in the deck.

6-drop: Deathborne is sometimes a keep in a vacuum, like vs. Hunter, Mage, and Paladin, and is often a keep if you already found Shivering Sorceress, but could depend on if you already have Cold Case, and so on. This is a big It Depends decision point, but it's not as easy as "see a 6, mull away" like tempo curve decks do.

0-drop: No do not keep Flurry in the mull.

Otherwise, aside from all the standard make-or-break aggro decisions, the deck does have 2 common situations where things get tricky with math: analyzing +2 spell boosted Deathborne plays, and setting up two-turn lethals with burn cards that keep changing state (2 vs 3 base damage, infused or not, and +2 spell damage or not). Once you get more reps you'll get better at maximizing value/lethals in those situations.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 10, 2023

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
No balance changes today, but they announced the next Battlegrounds season for next Tuesday, so I suppose we’ll get them then.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
New BG season in a week:
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23892224/announcing-battlegrounds-season-3

Was hoping for dual-type minions, so I'm glad to see those. Scrapping together minions from multiple tribes into something coherent is my favourite type of comp to play

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AnacondaHL posted:

~Hot Tips~

This is awesome, thank you. I was definitely screwing up the mulligan and I look forward to trying this out.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Malignant horror needs to be banned from arena.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Is there general agreement on how aggressively you should generally use your weapons in spitter hunter? Wondering whether some moves like turn 1 candleshot face, swinging bloodseeker at face even before getting any +1/+1 triggers off, etc, are too aggressive or if that's how hard you should be pushing the combo.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Malignant horror needs to be banned from arena.

I did have one game last night where I picked the mass devolve enemy spell off of a discover on turn 3 and kept it in my hand for 15 turns until the buffed Malignant Horrors showed on board and I felt like a boss when the DK insta conceded.. that's about the only positive gameplay experience i've had with the card my entire time playing arena.

Did they ever ban Wildpaw Cavern out of Arena? I feel like it's the same drat card.. Wildpaw cavern probably was a bit stronger because it came down more reliably on 4 mana but god drat maybe they should start banning low mana cards that reliably summon 2x+ what is considered premium stats from the format

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 10, 2023

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

This was great, thank you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wocobob posted:

Is there general agreement on how aggressively you should generally use your weapons in spitter hunter? Wondering whether some moves like turn 1 candleshot face, swinging bloodseeker at face even before getting any +1/+1 triggers off, etc, are too aggressive or if that's how hard you should be pushing the combo.

Between your weapons and the stag spirit from the wildseed cards you have enough weapon density to basically always be hitting something. If you have more than one charge or another weapon in hand you should always attack. If it’s your very last weapon charge you can hold onto it in case you need to remove something with a keeneye spotter, but just be careful if it’s a deck like DK or Mage that can freeze you

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I wish there were more achievements based on specific one-off tasks that require a build-around deck, rather than grindy poo poo that needs you to do something hundreds of times. This expansion's non-grindy achievements are good in that most of them don't require a specific legendary, I had good fun yesterday building and playing most of them. The Warlock Devourer of Souls one took me the longest, but I don't think I did it very efficiently. An 8-card, 8-mana combo is very hard to keep in hand as it turns out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My Dearest Goons,

I know most of you are Standard players, that's and that's OK.

Due to power creep most good standard decks can probably hit Diamond in Wild? And most people have a bunch of older cards?

PLEASE JUMP INTO CASUAL WILD WHATEVER YOU GOT

Best format in the game if you play for fun. If you care more about winning and losing than seeing neat poo poo? Casual Wild is not for you. Also a great place to grind achievements.

The playerbase is tiny lol, I wouldn't mind playing against more Goons

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There’s a non ranked mode? Like I honestly don’t remember seeing it on the list.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

kater posted:

There’s a non ranked mode? Like I honestly don’t remember seeing it on the list.

I'm pretty sure the game auto selects for standard or wild casual based on whether the deck you want to play has non-standard cards in it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You may have to "convert" a Standard deck to Wild in order to dip into Wild Casual. It's one of the options when you click the deck name on Desktop.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I love quick tavern brawls like this. Pogo Hopper and Secret Passage, one and done against a mage running Mechwarpers and Mechasharks.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

My Dearest Goons,

I know most of you are Standard players, that's and that's OK.

Due to power creep most good standard decks can probably hit Diamond in Wild? And most people have a bunch of older cards?

PLEASE JUMP INTO CASUAL WILD WHATEVER YOU GOT

Best format in the game if you play for fun. If you care more about winning and losing than seeing neat poo poo? Casual Wild is not for you. Also a great place to grind achievements.

The playerbase is tiny lol, I wouldn't mind playing against more Goons

I can confirm Wild is very soft, I actually climbed pretty high in Wild playing (for example) an unoptimized version of frost DK loaded with manathirst cards to finish the play 30 manathirst card quest in a reasonable amount of time. It's my format I use to complete quests when tavern brawl sucks. if you have a meta deck it's legend for sure and you'll probably be playing literal bots depending what your MMR is.

Casual Wild sounds fun, but I would want to have some goofy rear end deck instead of wandering in there with a lame standard deck..

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Starsfan posted:

I can confirm Wild is very soft, I actually climbed pretty high in Wild playing (for example) an unoptimized version of frost DK loaded with manathirst cards to finish the play 30 manathirst card quest in a reasonable amount of time. It's my format I use to complete quests when tavern brawl sucks. if you have a meta deck it's legend for sure and you'll probably be playing literal bots depending what your MMR is.

Casual Wild sounds fun, but I would want to have some goofy rear end deck instead of wandering in there with a lame standard deck..

Just make whatever and wander in. You get to use all of your cards in a format where winning and losing don't matter + you see and learn a lot of fun stuff. I watch Standard for ideas but I play for fun and Casual Wild is where the fun is.

Disclaimer: Wild Legend is Casual Wild but better.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I thought you couldn't do achievements in Casual? Has that been changed?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

victorious posted:

I think the deck building / card based ones that is correct.. not sure if it is true for all types of achievements

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

victorious posted:

I mentally swapped "quests" for "achievements." Game has too many reward tracks. My bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

fanny packrat posted:

I love quick tavern brawls like this. Pogo Hopper and Secret Passage, one and done against a mage running Mechwarpers and Mechasharks.

Its insanely fun because you think you have a fool proof strat and then immediately get bodied and switch to the strat that destroyed you and win a bunch of games until someone figures out what beats your strat and you switch to that. For example i tried your strat and got immediatley wiped by an embiggen/patches druid

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000
Yeah, Patches druid is pretty nasty.

Soularium and Soul Barrage work well too. Games are done by turn 2 (sometimes turn 1 if you have the coin).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I'm bad at odds, am I calculating this wizard poker bullshit correctly?

6 cards in hand, 3 that I want to discard, 3 that I don't. Warlock Duels hero power shows you three random cards in your hand - you pick one to discard to draw another card.

So the odds of not getting a card I want to discard are 3/6 * 3/6 * 3/6 = 9/216 = 1 in 24?

Then it happened again a few minutes later! Just want to make sure my rage is proportionate to the bullshit.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Should be a little bit higher, but not by much

3/6*2/5*1/4 = 1/20 = 5%

Pretty bullshit

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I managed to get my 1 victory in Tavern Brawl first try running Frost Nova and that 3 mana minion that puts 2 arcane bolts in your hand when it dies.. luckily I didn't run into anything too crazy cause this is obviously nowhere near fast enough for most of the emerging strategies, but I managed to find a match against someone running potion belt and the 3 mana 3/2 that makes concoctions cost 0. My primary motivation may have been getting an easy quest completion on playing 30 manathirst cards.

I find that no matter what the tavern brawl you can always scam 1 win pretty quickly playing something you cook up in 5 minutes.. I guess it helps to do it on the first day when everyone else is playing for their pack.

In other news i've been climbing the wild ladder with outcast demon hunter, a deck archetype so horrible that it's primary support from the latest expansion has a 30-35% win rate in standard. Wild truly is the best of the game modes because there is way less info online on what the meta decks are and for the most part you aren't going to run into the ones that are there until you get very close to legend territory.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Starsfan posted:

In other news i've been climbing the wild ladder with outcast demon hunter, a deck archetype so horrible that it's primary support from the latest expansion has a 30-35% win rate in standard. Wild truly is the best of the game modes because there is way less info online on what the meta decks are and for the most part you aren't going to run into the ones that are there until you get very close to legend territory.

This is super high roll-y/RNG but super fun:

### Quest Outcast
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Consume Magic
# 2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
# 2x (1) Double Jump
# 2x (1) Felosophy
# 2x (1) Fierce Outsider
# 1x (1) Final Showdown
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Sigil of Alacrity
# 2x (2) Redeemed Pariah
# 2x (2) Spectral Sight
# 2x (2) Wayward Sage
# 2x (2) Wretched Exile
# 2x (3) Abyssal Depths
# 2x (3) Acrobatics
# 2x (3) Line Hopper
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (4) Altruis the Outcast
# 1x (4) Felerin, the Forgotten
# 2x (4) Glide
# 2x (5) Need for Greed
# 2x (7) Irebound Brute
# 2x (7) Vengeful Walloper
#
AAEBAea5AwTMugP39gOX7wSkkgUS1MgD1tEDztID+dUDw90DyN0D2d4D8+MD9fYDivcDyIAEs6AEtKAE8rEE+b8EiJIFj5IFlJIFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Starsfan posted:

In other news i've been climbing the wild ladder with outcast demon hunter, a deck archetype so horrible that it's primary support from the latest expansion has a 30-35% win rate in standard.

It got support?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

kater posted:

It got support?

there's a 2 mana 2/3 that gives you a random outcast card when you play an outcast card, a 0 mana 5/5 rush (starts at 7 mana, decreases each time you play an outcast card) and a legendary that gives you 2 discounted outcast cards in outcast position

now you may notice the common issue with all 3 of these cards in Standard, which is that there are no good outcast cards worth playing.

In tavern brawl news apparently you can use a classic deck code to get access to a 0 mana soulfire and then pick hand of gul'dan as your other card for a likely turn 1 OTK (as long as you discard more hand of guldans than soulfires).

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Is anyone else getting annoyed by the occasional AFK death knight (and it always seems to be death knights at the moment?)

Also, I've been having great fun with this deck in Wild at the moment:

### Weapon/Trap
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Candleshot
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Trueaim Crescent
# 2x (2) Doggie Biscuit
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (2) Selective Breeder
# 2x (2) Snipe
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 2x (3) Hunter's Pack
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (3) Shockspitter
# 2x (3) Stitched Tracker
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
#
AAEBAcLcBQSP4wPQ+QPbkQSY1AQNrgaAB9PNAuWkA5+lA/uvA+HOA+rpA/T2A8OABOOfBKiTBY+kBQA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It's actually pretty nasty!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 13, 2023

kater
Nov 16, 2010

honestly an outcast deck is the best luck i've had with dh in standard.

this thing, i think i got it from here i wanna say its just the aggro dh list from vs but not sure. i didn't realize what came from this expansion lol.

### outkast
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
# 2x (1) Fierce Outsider
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Metamorfin
# 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 1x (2) Kor'vas Bloodthorn
# 2x (2) Spectral Sight
# 2x (2) Wayward Sage
# 2x (2) Wretched Exile
# 2x (3) Eye Beam
# 1x (3) Lady S'theno
# 2x (3) Predation
# 1x (4) Felerin, the Forgotten
# 1x (4) Razorglaive Sentinel
# 1x (6) Kurtrus, Demon-Render
# 2x (7) Vengeful Walloper
#
AAECAbn5AwbT9wOHiwSmlQT7vwSkkgXipAUMwvED9fgDtp8Es6AEtKAE7KAEiLIEmLoE+b8EiJIFj5IFlJIFAA==
#

it gens quite a bit of whatever. even if it's bad its still stuff. 1 mana glaivesmith is pretty alright. lots of free rush stuff lets you power up kurtis for scam wins. i unno im not gonna say there's strong outcast stuff but like at least you don't get shut down by objection spam.

kater fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Starsfan posted:

there's a 2 mana 2/3 that gives you a random outcast card when you play an outcast card, a 0 mana 5/5 rush (starts at 7 mana, decreases each time you play an outcast card) and a legendary that gives you 2 discounted outcast cards in outcast position

now you may notice the common issue with all 3 of these cards in Standard, which is that there are no good outcast cards worth playing.

Also, one of the outcast payoffs in standard is a four mana 5/4 that draws a card when you play the left or right-most card. When nearly every outcast card draws more cards.

I mean, if you added one more actual good Outcast effect it'd probably be a good pool of cards to generate. But as-is it's too easy to make a bunch of card draw that just draws more things that draws cards.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Sloppy posted:

I'm bad at odds, am I calculating this wizard poker bullshit correctly?

6 cards in hand, 3 that I want to discard, 3 that I don't. Warlock Duels hero power shows you three random cards in your hand - you pick one to discard to draw another card.

So the odds of not getting a card I want to discard are 3/6 * 3/6 * 3/6 = 9/216 = 1 in 24?

Then it happened again a few minutes later! Just want to make sure my rage is proportionate to the bullshit.

Luff is correct that it is 1 in 20. Another way to think about it is that there are 20 possible unique 3-card combinations of 6 cards, and exactly one of those is a failure.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Luff posted:

Should be a little bit higher, but not by much

3/6*2/5*1/4 = 1/20 = 5%

Pretty bullshit

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Luff is correct that it is 1 in 20. Another way to think about it is that there are 20 possible unique 3-card combinations of 6 cards, and exactly one of those is a failure.

Thanks dooders. Having it happen twice in close proximity made me log off for a while.

Also Aggro Mage easy-climbed to D5 with 12-2 streak using Anaconda's mulligan tips, thanks for that!

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I haven’t been able to play much the last couple of weeks, so I stole Nohands’ control pally list and it’s been working loving wonders:

### Paladingdong
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Flight of the Bronze
# 1x (1) Holy Maki Roll
# 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
# 1x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) City Tax
# 2x (2) Equality
# 1x (2) Order in the Court
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 1x (3) Bunker Sergeant
# 2x (3) Muckborn Servant
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 1x (7) Anachronos
# 1x (7) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Lightforged Cariel
# 2x (9) Lightray
#
AAECAcreBQz76AOR7AO/gATgiwTJoATSpASwsgTHsgTQvQTA4gSvkwXipAUJzOsD8PYDi/gD7p8E0KwE4tMEgOIEv+IEp5MFAA==
#

It’s working really well at least into Diamond. We’ll see once I have time to get past D5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Doji Sekushi posted:

I haven’t been able to play much the last couple of weeks, so I stole Nohands’ control pally list and it’s been working loving wonders:

### Paladingdong
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Flight of the Bronze
# 1x (1) Holy Maki Roll
# 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
# 1x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) City Tax
# 2x (2) Equality
# 1x (2) Order in the Court
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 1x (3) Bunker Sergeant
# 2x (3) Muckborn Servant
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 1x (7) Anachronos
# 1x (7) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Lightforged Cariel
# 2x (9) Lightray
#
AAECAcreBQz76AOR7AO/gATgiwTJoATSpASwsgTHsgTQvQTA4gSvkwXipAUJzOsD8PYDi/gD7p8E0KwE4tMEgOIEv+IEp5MFAA==
#

It’s working really well at least into Diamond. We’ll see once I have time to get past D5

I suck rear end at this deck. Any tips for piloting?