Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean it's incredibly close (like 0.76 cups or something) to the point where it doesn't matter so I'm just being pointlessly obnoxious anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I too am pedantic

International cup is 240 ml?

Rice cup 180 ml?

US cup is 284 ml?

Which would make a rice cup 63% of an imperial cup?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I too am pedantic

International cup is 240 ml?

Rice cup 180 ml?

US cup is 284 ml?

Which would make a rice cup 63% of an imperial cup?
til imperial and us cups are different

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
imperial cup check

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chaos reigns

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Rice cup 180 ml?
Rice cup 2401/13310 liters, if we're being pedantic.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Got a stove question. Preface: don't buy GE appliances. We liked the slate gray they did - stainless is okay but fingerprinty and we aren't about that life, bought a fridge, OTR microwave, and range. The range's touch panel will cancel the lower oven temp if both ovens are running, the lower oven temp is above 300 degrees, and if the door is opened more than halfway at any given time. I've tested this and can replicate at will. We're out of the 1 year warranty. It's a $400 part. Now the microwave is exhibiting similar touch panel issues, only half the loving buttons simply don't respond - at all times. Those buttons include Start and Cancel, so we're stuck in defrost mode and can't put in numbers. I have to trip my kitchen circuit breaker to clear it.

Anyway, I'm looking at replacements if I can't wrangle GE to fix their lemony gear for free since the parts are drat expensive. I'm looking at stoves that have a decent wok burner, maybe convection (if I can't find a reliable warranty combo OTR microwave/convection oven), and broiler that have long warranties and reputable manufacturers. Basically, Viking, Blue Star, Bertazzoni, etc. Anyone have recs on those brands, or other stoves that have absolutely no digital controls whatsoever? I can live without probes and built-in timers. It'd be nice if they do a slate gray or matte steel but I'll live with stainless. I'm OK with the fact that this is going to be a $4k-$5k purchase if it means I never, ever have to buy a stove again and have it serviced/maintained once every year or so.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Get a bigger rice cooker than you need so you can make extra for next day fried rice

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
except bird flu has meant that all the local supermarkets are completely bereft of eggs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

180 mL

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Get a bigger rice cooker than you need so you can make extra for next day fried rice

seconding this. a six cup rice cooker will make two cups just fine, but a two cup can’t make six cups at all

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you have extra rice it fridges and freezes pretty well

Microwave with a wet paper towel to steam it and it’s good as new

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Or 1-2 ice cubes and a silicone lid. That method seems to be foolproof, even with a tiny amount for my son nuked for 10 seconds.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Oh poo poo you’re right, forgot imperial cups are different from international

And the differences in tea spoons!

In my house we have a 3.5 cup rice cooker, and have leftovers for the next day, even if we have seconds.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SpannerX posted:

And the differences in tea spoons!

In my house we have a 3.5 cup rice cooker, and have leftovers for the next day, even if we have seconds.

Are those imperial seconds or metric?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Round 2:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Which garbage can is that and do you like it? Desperately need a new one.

I thought Anovas were immersion cookers - guess they're air friers?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got mine this week, but haven't had a chance to use it other than some basics. So far I quite like it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think anova is just a company?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anova is a company, they make a bunch of stuff. Their first hit product (AFAIK) was their immersion circulator. They also make vacuum sealers, have a new chamber vacuum sealer, have this fancy precision oven. I think they do a pretty good job.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I thought Anovas were immersion cookers - guess they're air friers?

That is not literally my trash can, but it is the same brand and looks like the same model. Simplehuman 55L rectangular step can. It's pricy, but I love it as much as I can love a trash can. It still looks great after 3ish years, it's easy to empty and put in new bags, it feels solidly constructed and fits normal tall kitchen bags even though they desperately try to sell you their bags.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

It looks like the SimpleHuman one I have. It good has pocket in the back for dispensing from the packs of bags. Their bags may be a little pricey, but they’re good bags.

Edit: Beaten.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Anova is a company, they make a bunch of stuff. Their first hit product (AFAIK) was their immersion circulator. They also make vacuum sealers, have a new chamber vacuum sealer, have this fancy precision oven. I think they do a pretty good job.

I bought their first-gen immersion circulator off of Kickstarter (which I'm pretty sure was the first sous vide device marketed to the general public) and it's worked very well ever since. I was just about to get a Breville Joule, but if this oven of theirs performs as advertised (for toasting and air frying as well as the sophisticated stuff), I may get that instead.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doom Rooster posted:

That is not literally my trash can, but it is the same brand and looks like the same model. Simplehuman 55L rectangular step can. It's pricy, but I love it as much as I can love a trash can. It still looks great after 3ish years, it's easy to empty and put in new bags, it feels solidly constructed and fits normal tall kitchen bags even though they desperately try to sell you their bags.

Yep. :same:

We’ve also had two friends buy the same can after seeing ours.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

We also have a SimpleHuman trash can (60L semi-round brushed) and it's awesome (takes the "P" bags).

Brand name bags are very expensive, and even the knockoffs from Amazon that fit the can are pricy but much less so and they work just fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kohler also sells a similar body trash can. For cheaper! I think it’s $130 on Amazon, $100 at Costco

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 14, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Kohler also sells a similar body trash can.
I think you might need a bigger one for that

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

First bake in the new Anova, it works

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Kohler also sells a similar body trash can. For cheaper! I think it’s $130 on Amazon, $100 at Costco

I got this for like $75 at Costco it's great

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

I got this for like $75 at Costco it's great

It’s available at mine right now for this price, I also have one except in black. Doesn’t need special bags.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have the simple human version of that trash can. It works with regular bags, they just kinda bunch up and you have to do more tugging when you replace them. Pretty dumb but it’s a good trash can otherwise.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

I too, own this Kohler, also from Costco.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3mUjIF3A8

Hexclad apparently fails at being nonstick

Creami not recommended as an ice cream maker

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Creami is wonderful and that review has 0 basis in reality. Kind of makes me think ATK can't be trusted for gadget reviews. It stinks of intentional bias. Probably because they have loads of books for other style makers, and a long relationship with other manufacturers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

Creami is wonderful and that review has 0 basis in reality. Kind of makes me think ATK can't be trusted for gadget reviews. It stinks of intentional bias. Probably because they have loads of books for other style makers, and a long relationship with other manufacturers.
ATK fuckin' up like the "there must be a better way!" stooge in an infomercial. Like I mean they obviously did not follow the instructions/directions in the recipes in the fuckin' recipe book that comes with the thing if they were getting goopy fuckin' slop like that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
there certainly is something to be said for a device that needs to be used the way the manufacturer intended, and then going off and using it the way you want to use it instead.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There's something about ice cream machine reviews. I saw one review of a variety of machines. They got to the one where you freeze the bowl and "It says to freeze it overnight, but we did an hour. Hmm, it's not really freezing." They put the result in the freezer and it came out like poo poo.
If they had redone it following the directions it would have made a good point about the compressor machines allowing you to be spontaneous but it was just mindless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I love me my creami

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 15, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I love that atk, the people with the dumbest most complicated instructions, can't follow extremely simple instructions

Edit: why did you edit that?! Did atk get to you? Blink once if you're under duress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I made a YouTube comment and that has my name.

/e but with the above maybe easier to dox? Idk I'm hungover.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 15, 2023