Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, requesting to trade Tsurugisho for Kotoeko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah Abi might not even make it to ozeki if he gets the yusho here, they typically want your 33 wins to come from sanyaku

also keisho really needs to do a 13-2 yusho minimum for promotion, 12-3 likely doesn't do it (depending on the quality of the losses)

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Lol what a loving catastrophic day for wfd-beya. Excellent day of sumo otherwise! Day 6: Hoshoryu looked impatient as hell and paid for it by missing out on two really easy finishes. I would've loved to see him take the yusho but I'm not seeing it happen anymore... even with him only being one win behind the pack. Takakeisho has made this really really interesting again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 6:
Good win for Ura today let's keep the momentum going!

Great match today with Hoshoryuu and Midorifuji.

Aoiyama also continuing to impress but it's still too early since I don't think he's gone against more upper rank guys yet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu ’s mythical ozeki run ends before it ever started

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
All my favorite boys are dropping like big flies :negative:

Kenning I’d like to trade Takayasu for Hoshoryu or Wakatakakage please

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I need to trade Takayasu for Hoshoryu or Wakatakakage

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 6: I think Wakatakakage got upset with losing and henka'd. He didn't look happy with himself but it's a win.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like Okinoumi's about to announce his retirement. (Japanese article)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
First time that I saw an on-dohyo prevention of a wardrobe malfunction.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Beexoffel posted:

First time that I saw an on-dohyo prevention of a wardrobe malfunction.

I want to see a rikishi spin another one out of the dohyo by unraveling his mawashi like a cartoon.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I want to see a rikishi spin another one out of the dohyo by unraveling his mawashi like a cartoon.
:yayclod: :same:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dumb thing from Kinta's video: Did Akua change to a lime green mawashi instead of aqua or was that a video colour thing because that would be the most disappointing thing about this basho.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ilmucche posted:

Despite his injury I will be staying with tochinoshin please. Especially after getting the rework to have him on my team

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm just putting on record that I will be dying along with Tochi! Less enthusiastic about dying with Oho, but at this point...

This is my brand of fantasy sumo. Ride or die Tochinoshin.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Day 6: SHODAI

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

Very strong opinions about Abi ever carrying the dignity of a Yokozuna intensifies

Abi has the petulance and disdain for authority that actually makes me like him a lot. He's the working man's rikishi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vargatron posted:

Abi has the petulance and disdain for authority that actually makes me like him a lot. He's the working man's rikishi.

I find him to not be motivated by confidence in his actions like Hakuho; I just think he's a chaotic dumbass

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
i simply have to admire a man who posted so hard he got everyone banned from being on social media

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Aw drat that sucks. Kenning, Can I trade Takayasu for Kiribiyama?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I find him to not be motivated by confidence in his actions like Hakuho; I just think he's a chaotic dumbass

Yeah, Hak was a troublemaker who did stuff because he thought he was right and knew better than everyone else and he was probably right. Abi's a troublemaker because he's a dipshit that doesn't think through his actions.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Okinoumi is retiring

DeepL Translate posted:

On January 13, it was learned through interviews with persons in the know that Okinoumi (37), a former ozekiwake and the 12th rank in the nishi-maegashira division, whose real name is Ayumi Fukuoka and is from Okijima-cho, Shimane Prefecture, in the Hakkaku stable, has decided to retire from active sumo. The veteran rikishi, who became the first rikishi from Shimane Prefecture to be promoted to sekiwake in 121 years, will close the curtain on his career in the ring.

According to those involved, he had been complaining of leg pain since the Kyushu Tournament in 2010, and lost all matches from the first day to the fifth day of this year's Hatsu-sho (first tournament), and announced on the sixth day (13th) that he would be absent from the tournament.

Okinoumi, who stands 189 cm tall and weighs 161 kg, was scouted by the Hakkaku stable when he was a senior at Oki Suisan High School and decided to join the sumo world.

In the spring tournament of 2010, he became the first Shimane-born rikishi in 88 years to be newly promoted, and in the first tournament of 2011, he won the Fighting Spirit Award for the first time with an 11-4 record. He has won the Distinguished Service Medal and the Fighting Spirit Medal a total of five times. His first gold star came against yokozuna Harumafuji in the Kyushu Tournament in 2012, bringing his total number of gold stars to four.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's a bummer but wishing the best for Okinoumi.

Re: Abi
I don't like his style of fighting. He's got a strong nodowa push and not much else it feels like. When people can either withstand his thrusts or get around them he gets exposed imo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I read that Okinoumi has elder stock, so he'll be kicking around the sumo world for quite a while to come. Not sure if he's going to open his own stable or what though.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

So, I have a question.
Have any of you seen a double fusen before? Do they both take the loss?
Or is there some additional mechanism for balancing the wins/losses across the tournament so it stays even?
Depending on the rules, it seems like it could create kind of an unbalanced prisoner's dilemma problem.
A rikishi with a mild injury that might get way worse (like the weird finger injury Takarafuji got on Day 4) has to gamble on whether their opponent will go fusen the following day.
If you have any examples of a time BOTH rikishi have gone fusen let me know!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bentai posted:

I read that Okinoumi has elder stock, so he'll be kicking around the sumo world for quite a while to come. Not sure if he's going to open his own stable or what though.

According to sumo reference, he is Kimigahama-oyakata.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
fun fact about Okinoumi is that while it's not untrue that he's from Shimane prefecture, his actual hometown is on the Oki Islands, about 50 miles off the mainland and with a total pop of about 20k. He didn't plan to join sumo professionally, and if a family friend hadn't introduced him to Hakkaku, who persuaded him to join a stable, he would have been a sailor.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Day 6: SHODAI

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
That Midorifuji vs Hoshoryu match! Best match of the day by far.

Also concerning Takanosho vs Chiyoshoma was it a hair pull? I missed what happened but thought that Taka won until they called the DQ.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apraxin posted:

fun fact about Okinoumi is that while it's not untrue that he's from Shimane prefecture, his actual hometown is on the Oki Islands, about 50 miles off the mainland and with a total pop of about 20k.
Hence his shikona, which translates to "Oki sea"!

Kuros posted:

Also concerning Takanosho vs Chiyoshoma was it a hair pull? I missed what happened but thought that Taka won until they called the DQ.
Yes, exactly this.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 6

Hoshoryu/Midorifuji - Not even mad that my rikishi ate the loss here, what a great match.

Tobizaru/Shodai - Boy howdy I'm mad that my rikishi pulled the short straw and got awake and trying Shodai instead of the utter pushover he's been up to this point, though! :argh:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
His name should be Tamagosho because he is shaped like an egg

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Day 7 Abi vs Hoshoryu - big lol at them falling off the dohyo in a tangle of limbs with Abi shooting a 'hey we good man? glance at Hoshoryu and then them both nodding like 'yeah we're good'

edit: Tawashi vs Shodai - god, Shodai's feet slidingly frictionessly along the dohyo as he gets effortlesly bodied out by the oldest man in the divison. only one more loss away from posting Shodied :smith:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 14, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 7: For the love of god someone get Shodai a sports psychologist, he's got SUCH a case of the yips, what is going on?

Abi v Hoshoryu was a solid match, Hoshoryu is a man on a mission. Also this was kinda funny at the end:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveBelovedBubbleteaYee-k0O6mAN1IO0RVoPr

But oh my the Midorifuji vs Takakeisho match was just so good. Intense from start to finish, Keisho ducking or parrying almost half a dozen face slap attempts, and that mid bout standup/stare down? What a fight.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BigBelovedWormThunBeast-pMNr6pKHOyXiNnae

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Day 7: Holy poo poo Takakeisho!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I hope to see Bushozan vs Takakeisho some day. Two very round sumotori.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

Day 7:

But oh my the Midorifuji vs Takakeisho match was just so good. Intense from start to finish, Keisho ducking or parrying almost half a dozen face slap attempts, and that mid bout standup/stare down? What a fight.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BigBelovedWormThunBeast-pMNr6pKHOyXiNnae

Midorifuji-Taka: Hell yeah. Great showing from Taka, as this is the kind of match he usually loses. When Plan A of just blasting Midorifuji 3 rows deep off the tachiai got stopped short, that's usually when fatigue hits our round boi and he doesn't have anything left for a second round. Then when Plan B of slapping the poo poo out of his opponent didn't work either, he actually pulled off the throw at the end. His Plan A is probably still going to win most of his matches since he's drat good at it, but it's nice to see him get results with something different.

For his part, Midorifuji puts on a match of the night of the second day in a row.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 7:
What a final match. All the respect to Midorifuji for not giving up at any point. The mid bout pause holy moly. Put that in the in definition for fighting spirit!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenning: I don't want to auto-trade Takayasu. His return to san'yaku and mine will end together, unless the rest of my stable gets off their asses and pulls off perfection from here on out.

Day 7: Onosho and Daieisho both having great luck with their styles this basho. Daieisho especially looks really motivated. I'm favoring those two and Takakeisho leading at the end, hopefully with another three-way playoff that ends in Keisho yusho and Yokozuna promotion. That would be the highest possible drama, and ensure that more than half of my fantasy sumo points come from Keisho because holy gently caress my team is dire thus far lol

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire