Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

rian johnson directing mindy kaling as velma in a live action scooby doo. the insufferability would collapse on itself like a neutron star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Scrappy Doo was on the rotation on cartoon network at some point when I was a kid and I remember it being at least Fine, like literally every other Scooby Doo series predating Velma

i also remember liking A Pup Named Scooby Doo

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was one of those hangers-on in what turned out to be a weirdly high quality run of Muppet Baby spinoffs. Everything was going "reboot cartoons, but as babies". Even Spielberg got in on it with Tiny Toons. I can't wait for that trend to come back around with reboots. Mad Max Babies, Child-Aged Ninja Turtles, Tatooine Kids....

X JAKK posted:

You know what really connects with modern audiences? Staunch anti weed stances, borderline pedophilic scenes, and calling you an idiot for liking wacky aspects of old cartoons

What an honor to post with former vice president Mike Pence.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

poisonpill posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was one of those hangers-on in what turned out to be a weirdly high quality run of Muppet Baby spinoffs. Everything was going "reboot cartoons, but as babies".

I will defend Yo Yogi! until my dying breath

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 13, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

I saw Shin Ultraman on Wedensday and it was (imo) exactly what it should be.

What's so terrible about it?

It felt like 4 episodes of the show put together, and not particularly inspiring episodes. If thats what people want, sure, but as a person who doesn't watch the show it felt like I was watching a clip episode at times.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That Scooby Doo show looks garbage

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
THE best Scooby Doo theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI-KMDm8x0U

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Season 1 of The Terror was really good. Julius Caesar, Edmure Tully, and Anderson Dawes (don't remember their names) give really great performances, but so do all the other guys tbh.

It is good. I think it kinda falls apart towards the end but i've heard that the book is even dumber.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Barudak posted:

It felt like 4 episodes of the show put together, and not particularly inspiring episodes. If thats what people want, sure, but as a person who doesn't watch the show it felt like I was watching a clip episode at times.

It was exactly what it needed to be, it was great if you are into that kind of thing. Anno did another great job.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

more like Scoopy Poo!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

I watched a few minutes, and it was just all the characters screaming at each other for no reason nonstop.

I thought maybe it was just the first scene, which is a fight in the showers between high schoolers, but then Velma gets arrested and screeches a bunch at the cops who come to interview her, and I turned it off.

Oh, also the thing the high schoolers are fighting about is whether it's OK for the pilot of a TV show to have much more nudity and violence than the rest of the series, so that's also insufferable.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 13, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PostNouveau posted:

I watched a few minutes, and it was just all the characters screaming at each other for no reason nonstop.

I thought maybe it was just the first scene, which is a fight in the showers between high schoolers, but then Velma gets arrested and screeches a bunch at the cops who come to interview her, and I turned it off.

it just continues like that

also Sam Richardson plays the character he always plays and it doesn't fit the art of hot skinny shaggy at all

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mindy speaking harsh truths to an audience of nobody about how hard it is to grow up with literally no struggles to overcome except your own internalized sense of inadequacy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

i give ultraman 1/10 for booty.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

cmon thats a 0/10

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

That part is fair, he should have a Flanders "nothing at all" rear end.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

poisonpill posted:

Mindy speaking harsh truths to an audience of nobody about how hard it is to grow up with literally no struggles to overcome except your own internalized sense of inadequacy

Velma's tragic backstory is that either her mom left them because she hated her because she was an annoying child OR she actually loved her and made herself a mystery for Velma to solve

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, the Justin Roiland school of writing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Ah, the Justin Roiland school of writing.

wouldn't let him near a school

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

It is good. I think it kinda falls apart towards the end but i've heard that the book is even dumber.

Same, everything after the mutiny felt really rushed imo. Heard the book went even further on the surrealism front than the show which I'm pretty interested in myself.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Justin Roiland wrote season 1 of Bob's Burgers?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wouldn't let him near a school

:lol:

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Barudak posted:

That's a fair criticism. I'm a fan of the original TV series when I was a kid, so I felt it really captured the "spirit" of the original.

My only criticism was there wasn't enough kaiju fighting for me. i was waiting for a huge battle in the 3rd act that never came.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Same, everything after the mutiny felt really rushed imo. Heard the book went even further on the surrealism front than the show which I'm pretty interested in myself.

Half remembered spoilers I think the surviving main character starts bonking the mute shaman lady in the end which would of been creepy in the show

I should probably read the book at some point because Hyperion is one of my favourite books.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2023

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
God I want an Ultra Q movie. Now that would be fun poo poo

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

Half remembered spoilers I think the surviving main character starts bonking the mute shaman lady in the end which would of been creepy in the show

I should probably read the book at some point because Hyperion is one of my favourite books.

also the terror monster fucks the eskimo lady in the book

I would highly recommend reading the book, its one of the few Dan Simmons books that he somehow kept his early 2000's Islamophobia out of. He was one of those white guys who's brain was broken by 9/11 ( see also Miller,Dennis)

In one of his books all of Islam unites in a caliphate, builds a giant submarine called " the sword of allah" or something and they nuke the moon

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
the first episode of bobs burgers is actually funny, and then someone told them to change it completely and it wasn't funny at all after

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUA-Quoydow

Sunk Dunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 13, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am rewatching Rian Johnson in honor of this thread. First up. Knives Out

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sunk Dunk posted:

the first episode of bobs burgers is actually funny, and then someone told them to change it completely and it wasn't funny at all after

e:

I was rewatching some of the earlier seasons recently, and yeah the first season is the best, and almost all of my favorite episodes are in the first 5 or so seasons. Not that it had a really hard drop in quality, but they definitely took the edge out of the humor and made it into more of a comfort food family comedy and then injected it with a bunch of try-hard musical numbers because the creator is an overgrown theater kid.

I still like it though, the voice actors are really good and have a great chemistry which helps punch up the jokes even when the writing is underwhelming.

I’ve seen some interviews where the writers talked about how they were more interested in keeping a consistent quality over a large number of seasons, than flaming out early.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 13, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I thought The Great North was funny at times in season 1 and at some point in season 2 I realized it wasn't any more and just turned it off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sunk Dunk posted:

e:

the film from last year was so so bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

e:

Wow, I did not realize the stark difference. Real frog in a pot situation I guess. Been awhile since I watched the first season.

This feels a lot more like they were riffing the scene like Home Movies would do rather than working off a set script. They most definitely do not do that anymore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah bob’s burgers didn’t suddenly turn bad or anything it just went stale over the course of 14 years, like archer

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bob's burgers had 13 seasons and 249 episodes wtf

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Season 1 of The Terror was really good. Julius Caesar, Edmure Tully, and Anderson Dawes (don't remember their names) give really great performances, but so do all the other guys tbh.
Confirming that this show got like the most insane cast i have seen: Mace Rayder , Brutus and Lane Pryce.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

colonelwest posted:

I was rewatching some of the earlier seasons recently, and yeah the first season is the best, and almost all of my favorite episodes are in the first 5 or so seasons. Not that it had a really hard drop in quality, but they definitely took the edge out of the humor and made it into more of a comfort food family comedy and then injected it with a bunch of try-hard musical numbers because the creator is an overgrown theater kid.

I still like it though, the voice actors are really good and have a great chemistry which helps punch up the jokes even when the writing is underwhelming.

I’ve seen some interviews where the writers talked about how they were more interested in keeping a consistent quality over a large number of seasons, than flaming out early.

God I'm so sick of the loving songs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

bob's burgers had 13 seasons and 249 episodes wtf

It's not been canceled (although it hasn't been renewed for the 14th season).

There must be something about animation that makes renewing cartoons a much easier call than regular shows because animated shows that don't die early never seen to die anymore. South Park is still on, The Simpsons are still on, Archer is still on, Family Guy and American Dad are still on.

Maybe it's the long cycle? Like Bob's Burgers hasn't been renewed for a 14th season yet, but for them to have a 14th season start in the fall, production would have had to start like a year ago on it. If Fox owns the production studio, then you're an executive looking at a sunk cost, right? Like we've spent 60% of the cost of Season 14 already so renewal only costs us the other 40%, something like that.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Toplowtech posted:

Confirming that this show got like the most insane cast i have seen: Mace Rayder , Brutus and Lane Pryce.

Adam Nagaitis plays one of the sexiest villains ever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Watched You Were Never Really Here over the break. It's funny that Joaquin Phoenix has been so specifically typecast as " messed up guy who has unhealthy relationship with his frail and elderly mother."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe in the modern day of computerized western animation the costs are just low once the pipeline is established. A new season needs the scripts, the voices, and some limited amount of new assets to plug in, but a huge amount can be recycled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

God I'm so sick of the loving songs

In the early seasons they would do parodies of different musical genres or do really purposefully bad musical numbers.

Like this lost 70’s funk classic…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WrML7CTGZc