Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My fave play of the game will forever be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiMJ-s4T16M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Nepal, Sanctum, overtime. Enemy Reaper teleports to the back of the point, obviously going to ult. Sleep dart on cooldown, I frantically ping him. Orissa turns around, and javelin spins him off the edge as he is beginning Death Blossom. He disconnects before his death even registers.

Sometimes, overwatch still has the magic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Push makes me miss 2CP.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Push makes me miss 2CP.

Yeah same. OW2 just isn't fun for me like OW1 was for so many years. I liked the team focus, poke, dive, brawl, etc.

Every OW2 match feels the same for me: Threats everywhere. No way to defend myself. Every position is bad, just some are worse than others. One pick wins it, but the team can't just wipe and the spawn is for ever away.

Whichever team has a flanker with a brain and mechanical skill has a decent time but doesn't have to do anything to enable them. It is either complete solo contribution from hog or sojourn, or a boring tug of war between tank ults.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The lack of Tank variety is getting very annoying too. If your team doesn't have Ram, Orisa or Hog then you might as well GG right away, most of the time.

Tank is my most played role as well and I can't figure out what character to use to counter enemy Orisa's or Ram's either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Tank is my most played role as well and I can't figure out what character to use to counter enemy Orisa's or Ram's either.

I've found Orisa mirror match to be the best defense against an enemy Orisa, though it basically inevitably turns into a stalemate until a pick happens to either team.

Ram, I have no idea - I think he's still new enough that people are still figuring out his tech which makes him a bit of a question mark from match to match. gently caress his ult, though.

I really wish they would significantly buff Junker Queen, as I've been playing her in QP lately and she is SO fun to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I've found Orisa mirror match to be the best defense against an enemy Orisa, though it basically inevitably turns into a stalemate until a pick happens to either team.

Ram, I have no idea - I think he's still new enough that people are still figuring out his tech which makes him a bit of a question mark from match to match. gently caress his ult, though.

I really wish they would significantly buff Junker Queen, as I've been playing her in QP lately and she is SO fun to play.

As Orisa main, I can't stand Orisa mirrors. Neither player can do poo poo unless one of them is just straight up worse.

I think counter-pick for Ram is Doom, because you can knock him around and he has no protection against stuns in any form, but I'm not good at Doom yet to confirm that.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

As Orisa main, I can't stand Orisa mirrors. Neither player can do poo poo unless one of them is just straight up worse.

I think counter-pick for Ram is Doom, because you can knock him around and he has no protection against stuns in any form, but I'm not good at Doom yet to confirm that.

I think rein can be good at low-med SR, but you have to be able to outplay him. Pinning him away during ult is fun. Of course rein is clunky and awful vs anyone that knows how to play.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Orissa isn't my main tank but if we're having a problem with ramm she's my counter pick.

Ramms key power is his transform which turns him into a faster, more resilient Reinhart temporarily. So my job as tank is to keep this psycho away from my team until his transformation ends. Orissa has two different knockback abilities on 6(?) second timers and one of them even comes with a stun. Every time ramm transforms, I pop those and he generally spends most of his time chasing Squishies rather than killing them.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
With the minor Zarya buff people have started playing her into Orisa.

There are still enough times where I go against Ashe/Widow/Hanzo that even with Sojourn I just go Winston. Especially on Circuit Royal first and second.

Rammatra is very fun and Orisa is very zen, so this should be the meta for me but I’ve just been forcing Junker Queen as much as possible. The only issue is that she’s like Ball in the sense that your team cannot run it down middle if they’re not a Widow or Sojourn with extreme range.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still not sure on Zarya. The buff is nice but even if i'm sat at 100 charge i'm still not getting past an Orisa who has a team that's even vaguely throwing heals out.

E: On JQ i've just embraced picking her and turning off my comms. There's a fairly significant chance in masters that if you pick her, your team will immediately think you're throwing and start throwing to "join you" or some poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As an Orisa main I don't feel threatened by Zarya at all, provided my supports are at least half-competent, even thought she should logically be the counter-pick.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
as a rein main I can confirm he is a great ram counter pick in qp and absolutely miserable to play in any context even in dumpster tier ranked

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

as a rein main I can confirm he is a great ram counter pick in qp and absolutely miserable to play in any context even in dumpster tier ranked

They should really give him some goodies to deal with ram and orisa.

Charge on a 4 second cooldown and bullets bounce off of him during charge. lets gooooo

headcase fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What if Bubble was also like fortify, so an Orisa couldn't just spin you out of position, and if you were quick you could no-sell javelin with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What if Bubble was also like fortify, so an Orisa couldn't just spin you out of position, and if you were quick you could no-sell javelin with it.

Bubble makes you immune to CC, including the Javelin Throw and Spin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

Bubble makes you immune to CC, including the Javelin Throw and Spin.

She's not immune to the CC of spin or charge (just the damage), but you're right about javelin.

EDIT: okay now I'm doubting myself but I'm sure spin still knocks you back, I'm trying to find confirmation

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 13, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

She's not immune to the CC of spin or charge (just the damage), but you're right about javelin.

Really? That's bizarre.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im pretty sure a bunch of doomfist punches have just phased through me too lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8DBGqFn2ZM

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SadisTech posted:

gently caress it's embarrassing when it gives you play of the game and it's just some dumb poo poo where you kill a dude, whiff 4 shots and then slightly damage someone else

i had a potg as zen the other night where before it played our tank was like dude u have less healing that both the enemy healers and im like watch this maybe

its all of us pushing the cart enemy dva ults and everyone just kinda runs around i plant my rear end on the opposite side of the cart crouch down to dodge it and win everyone else ate poo poo of course

i dont think i threw more than 2 attacks in this time

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This might be a dumb question as tanks have the highest health and can output lots of damage, but...as a tank, should I be doing the most damage and have the most elims on my team, like every game? Isn't that what DPS is for, or have I just been playing with bad DPS teammates?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Midniter posted:

This might be a dumb question as tanks have the highest health and can output lots of damage, but...as a tank, should I be doing the most damage and have the most elims on my team, like every game? Isn't that what DPS is for, or have I just been playing with bad DPS teammates?

Depends on the tank but especially at lower ELO you are getting the most heals/are harder to kill so yeah you typically do more damage.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

focusing on stats or comparing stats with your teammates is a really bad idea

it's really easy for players to pad their stats with suboptimal play and mistakenly thinking they're doing so much. for example, a dps could focus on pumping all their damage and cooldowns into an unkillable tank while playing an angle that only lets them hit the tank. usually a lot of dps characters and map positions want them to try to play alternate angles that let them pressure or confirm kills on squishies.

tanks do have the burden of doing a lot compared to their teammates. you can't have the loser mentality of wow i'm doing so much why isn't my team pulling their weight that's why im losing. you really have to hard carry and out carry the enemy tank.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I had 2 comp games back to back on All Roles last night. In the first one I was on heals. Both my DPS had 0 eliminations for the whole match. They defended themselves by saying that they were new players and shouldn't have been in that game which is probably true but it didn't help the situation.

In the second game we were absolutely rolling the enemy on Blizzard World. I was on Mei and was absolutely just laying waste in a comical fashion. Our second DPS was a Genji who was contributing very little. As we were about to reach the first payload checkpoint he dashed into the middle of the enemy team and hit blade solo while standing still on the ground, took one swing and got instantly deleted as you'd expect, and then rage quit. I tried to encourage our team to keep pushing because we could still have plausibly won but as soon as the timer expired our tank left, which put an end to that idea.

I didn't play any more comp after that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Had a comp game recently where my whole team didn't get a single elimination for TWO motherfucking rounds.
Matchmaking in this game is a joke.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Depends on the tank but especially at lower ELO you are getting the most heals/are harder to kill so yeah you typically do more damage.

Also several dps benefit from waiting until a fight is well underway before doing damage. It is the tank's job to come out guns blazing and get everyone's attention. Some DPS are just burst damage while tanks are spamming everyone. Damage without kills can be detrimental to ult economy.

Overall I'd say a DPS with less damage is doing their job better as long as they are involved in a lot of the elims.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tanks will typically be involved in a fight doing damage constantly, so yeah they should get tons of elims/assists/damage.

Later on when people start playing the mercy solj/pharah thing you'll have less damage, but that's expected.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

headcase posted:

Also several dps benefit from waiting until a fight is well underway before doing damage. It is the tank's job to come out guns blazing and get everyone's attention. Some DPS are just burst damage while tanks are spamming everyone. Damage without kills can be detrimental to ult economy.

Overall I'd say a DPS with less damage is doing their job better as long as they are involved in a lot of the elims.

poo poo tier here but often I try to go for flanking and trying to avoid firing on the tank, I notice killfeed getting really populated *while I'm on the move*.
So, sometimes I end up having very little eliminations and damage, but... well I don't think I should've done anything different, it's likely the game was carried by one of the tanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tanks can also do a lot more damage by being in a perfect position to do damage on the opponent's tank without actually doing much useful.

You should always look at damage numbers together with the number of kills. They don't mean much by themselves.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
They don't mean much in general. You can have, for instance, a D.Va doing a whooooole lot of chip damage to every enemy and hence contributing to almost every elim her team gets while also doing massive amounts of spam damage to the enemy tank that's getting healed and healed and healed. Granted that's an extreme case, but it's very very common for tanks who aren't doing much at all to say "WTF YOU DOING DPS KILL THINGS I HAVE MORE ELIMS AND DAMAGE" while their dps are desperately trying to get angles to do anything at all because there is no space being made.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah context is everything. I wouldn't worry about the numbers, just putting pressure in the right place to get a win.

Another extreme example: A Widow gets one perfect headshot kill on kings row point A offense. The rest of the cap she gets no kills but makes the entire enemy team play sub-optimally by just existing. That is a win.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 14, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The only stat I would pay some attention to is deaths. If you're dying twice as much as the rest of the team then (most of the time) something's gotta change

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Ah. Sometimes you just get these great games. Just won Midtown in silver open queue 4 v 5 after one of our team disconnected couple of minutes into the match. (Genuinely, probably. We had just captured the point.)

I have no chance to ever play in groups, so when random people click, it is great. Our Hog was just dominant all the time and would always get kills no matter if left 1 v 4. Our Zen trusted the rest of us and kept their orb on one target at time while the rest of us focused it down, no matter how long it took. I even feel proud going Winston in defense and just hanging behind Hog's back when he went in until he had to retreat, at which point I took lead and either dived and confirmed whatever kill he set up or just bodyblocked everything until his cds were up again.

5/5

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

deaths is a bad stat to focus on and having 2x the deaths of the rest of your team can be from optimal play

a lot of times it's much better to die ASAP rather than try to escape with the huge risk of dying much later

a lot of times it's much better to start throwing haymakers and not care about making yourself way more likely to imminently die in a committed team fight if the team fight is already likely lost

a lot of times it can be good to take the swingy duel vs the enemy who can 1-shot you (hanzo/widow/sojourn) and sometimes you just go on a losing streak even if you are evenly skilled or better than them

and so on and so forth

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

having 2x the deaths of the rest of your team can be from optimal play

????????

Like, I'm just a high plat/low diamond player but you can usually spot a problem teammate if they have 2x your deaths.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
good at resetting. every single second you are alive past the team fight being lost is a second you are stealing from your team

also low deaths can mean you are playing too safe/not taking enough risks/not playing high-impact positions

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

...But if you're dying for resets you, by definition, cannot have 2x your teams deaths tho.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you can have 2x the deaths of the other team mate who never resets and sometimes gets staggered for 20 seconds while screaming in chat

best death related metric wrt win/loss percent is, afaik, first pick and first death

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It’s not a perfect heuristic, but if your DPS doesn’t have a positive K/D ratio and your other team members do, then that player is a problem. Overwatch only requires you to contribute some damage to an enemy to get an elimination. If someone is consistently going into a fight and getting killed before they can successfully contribute to an elimination, you can reliably point to that as an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Ram in my experience struggles with very aggressive divey play since he has no peel and only has a barrier in omnic form. He doesn't have strong answers against Doom or Winston or especially Ball, and also gets boned by Antiheal and discord.

I do think his ult could be toned down. My armchair dev $0.02 is his ult cost should be increased significantly, as I believe he's currently at 1680 points which is tied for I think the 4th fastest ult in the game not counting baby Dva. I'd put him up into the 1800-2000+ charge range where most other tank ults sit to begin with.