Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He meant the other teams in the Claypool sweepstakes (e.g. Green Bay) were in Win Now Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For the record as someone who was banging the table for Claypool at the time, I'm glad the Packers didn't end up with him. Obviously a big part of this was Watson getting healthy and showing the league that he's lethal on the deep shot, but still.

I wanted Claypool or Jeudy, someone, anyone to spark the offense by being a somewhat-reliable option. Claypool's post-trade performance is troubling, even if you take in account that he had to learn a new playbook and all -- shouldn't he have had enough physical talent to just go out, have Fields tell him what route to run, and try to haul in a ball?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

shouldn't he have had enough physical talent to just go out, have Fields tell him what route to run, and try to haul in a ball?

Yes and no, I think? I mean, it was a new playbook for him, and Fields was still adjusting to a randomly changing offensive scheme because Getsy couldn't really deal with the lack of receivers and then threw a Hail Mary by having Fields run for his life on designed run plays.

I'm hesitant to throw in the towel on Claypool, just as I think it's way too early to judge Poles as a talent evaluator. Can't turn a team around in one year. And the Bears were literally the worst team in the league this past year--but in large part because Poles ripped everything down to the studs in the wall, having been dealt a poo poo sandwich by Pace.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

And not only did he get all of those yards after starting the season so late, he got all of them while basically doing nothing in his last game, which is doubly impressive if you ask me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevin Warren will be the next Bears president.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

R.D. Mangles posted:

Kevin Warren will be the next Bears president.

I have never heard of this person before today, as I am utterly oblivious to executive level staff outside of the Bears. What should my opinion be?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishing with the fam posted:

I have never heard of this person before today, as I am utterly oblivious to executive level staff outside of the Bears. What should my opinion be?
Angry. I bolded the relevant part.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Knows more about football than Ted Phillips and helped the Vikings build their new fancy stadium

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

Knows more about football than Ted Phillips and helped the Vikings build their new fancy stadium

1) Good god I would hope so.
2) Cool! The new Arlington Heights stadium better look good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

He's the current Big Ten commissioner who brought in USC and UCLA.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

He's an actual industry professional and not the McCaskey family accountant

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GNU Order posted:

He's an actual industry professional and not the McCaskey family accountant

Could he learn to be the accountant though? Can he pass the CPA exam?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1/12/23550442/why-the-new-york-jets-should-trade-for-aaron-rodgers

The Jets have... pick #13? Sure, gently caress it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lol, no chance

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’m all for trading Rodgers just to get rid of his contract/cap hit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rodgers can't be traded until the summer, after the draft.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

He should go to the Jets to really solidify the Favre comparison

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Truly the dream scenario

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rodgers can't be traded until the summer, after the draft.

Yea, even aside front the question of whether some team wants to 100 million dollars for two more years of this version of Aaron Rodgers the packers can even trade him til June and nobody is waiting until June to maybe get a QB.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He should go to the Jets to really solidify the Favre comparison

And then to the vikings...and then the bears sign a one day contract for corey wootton. Im down for this.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

He meant the other teams in the Claypool sweepstakes (e.g. Green Bay) were in Win Now Mode

That makes way more sense.

Listened to Bernstein and Holmes talk about Warren for a bit and they seemed very excited about the move. They basically seemed to think that once it was announced they were looking at him, anyone else they could've hired would be a huge downgrade.

They talked about how the Wilf's loved him and that he was a big part in maximizing their revenue streams. This is outside of the stadium work he's done.

The Bears are now the first team in the NFL with a black president.

Gotta say, it is weird seeing the Bears make competent decisions as an organization the last year.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seems like a good pick to help get their stadium off the ground

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Danny LaFever posted:

Seems like a good pick to help get their stadium off the ground

A floating stadium? Might be cool.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gonz posted:

A floating stadium? Might be cool.

Higher the altitude, the further field goals move. Just imagine the amount of doinks they can get! 4D chess being played by the Bears.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can a stadium be so high that a doinked kick and go through the other team's upright?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gutekunst today doesn't sound like a man who will trade Aaron Rodgers. I think we get one more season out of him, hopefully without a broken thumb this time. Gutekunst was also very supportive of Jordan Love and said that he was confident that Love would've played well if Rodgers had been (more) injured.

Wants Bakhtiari back and probably won't trade him either.

All in all not much to take away from that press conference, really. He was very diplomatic and conservative. We're running it back next season with the exact same roster and exact same coaching staff. And then after that season I guess everything blows up and we give Love a big contract with shambles around him on the roster?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gutekunst today doesn't sound like a man who will trade Aaron Rodgers. I think we get one more season out of him, hopefully without a broken thumb this time. Gutekunst was also very supportive of Jordan Love and said that he was confident that Love would've played well if Rodgers had been (more) injured.

All in all not much to take away from that press conference, really. He was very diplomatic and conservative. We're running it back next season with the exact same roster and exact same coaching staff. And then after that season I guess everything blows up and we give Love a big contract with shambles around him on the roster?

If they aren’t going to pick up Love’s fifth year option I can’t believe they’d turn around and give him a big contract after another year of him not playing. Maybe they are hoping his value is so low after four years of not seeing the field that they can bring him back as an FA on a cheap prove it deal. Or he’s just being nice and they’re done with him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If Love can demand a trade, he should.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Why would the roster be in shambles? They are actually a pretty young team and the only old dudes are Rodgers, Bak and Amos.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just terrible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If Love can demand a trade, he should.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Why would the roster be in shambles? They are actually a pretty young team and the only old dudes are Rodgers, Bak and Amos.

Because they have to start paying those young players their second contracts and that’s going to be tougher with Rodgers massive dead money charges.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Because they have to start paying those young players their second contracts and that’s going to be tougher with Rodgers massive dead money charges.

Well, a lot of these players already have their second contracts (Gary, Elgton, Alexander, Clark). Savage and possibly Nijman are coming up. But, yes, by 2025 we'll have to start to worry about Watson, Wyatt, Walker, maybe Stokes, maybe Tom and Runyan.

If the cap keeps growing it won't be that much of an issue. If it doesn't then Rodgers's dead money will be a problem for a couple of seasons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Can't imagine being a fan of any of the other North teams and having a non-:hellyeah: response to the Packers effectively saying they're going to repeat every mistake from this year, but with Rodgers' cap situation being worse for them the longer they try making mistakes harder to fix every year past this one right now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gute says the team expects to have Aaron Jones back for the next season. Easily our best offensive weapon, pending Watson developing some more.

Hmm, interesting wording:

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1613937951012196354

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 13, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also, everyone's getting their contracts restructured. No rebuilds

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 13, 2023

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://twitter.com/byryanwood/status/1613931441313775617?s=46&t=XW0xW31y9ZHf1ALBvGOc6w
:negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Packers want to keep the current show going as long as possible because you can just take a cursory look around the league and see how many rotten teams there are that are full of holes, stuck on the QB carousel, etc. etc. and see what a miserable existence it is and they want to just avoid that in any way possible, which you can understand.

The issue is that they don't realize they became one of those teams the second Hufanga picked up that blocked punt and the longer they take to realize that, the larger the bill is going to be.

Which is fine with me, I'm up for a few more years of sweeping their asses.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

When all is said and done, is Rodgers still in the conversation for Best QBs of All Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

When all is said and done, is Rodgers still in the conversation for Best QBs of All Time?

Unquestionably.