Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

someone got in big trouble for voter fraud. her husband (R) won his election to the Woodbury board of supervisors. hope it was worth it.

https://twitter.com/dojcrimdiv/status/1613661061101625345

quote:

Woman Arrested for Voter Fraud Scheme

An Iowa woman was arrested today in Sioux City for her role in an alleged voter fraud scheme during the Iowa 2020 primary and general elections.

Kim Phuong Taylor, 49, of Sioux City, made her initial court appearance today. According to court documents, Taylor allegedly perpetrated a scheme to generate votes in the primary election in June 2020, when her husband was an unsuccessful candidate for Iowa’s 4th U.S. Congressional District, and subsequently in the 2020 general election, when her husband was a successful candidate for Woodbury County Supervisor. Taylor allegedly submitted or caused others to submit dozens of voter registrations, absentee ballot request forms, and absentee ballots containing false information. For example, although these documents required the signer to affirm that he or she was the person named in them, Taylor signed them for voters without their permission and told others that they could sign on behalf of relatives who were not present.

Taylor is charged by indictment with 26 counts of providing false information in registering and voting, three counts of fraudulent registration, and 23 counts of fraudulent voting. If convicted, she faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison for each count.

Assistant Attorney General Kenneth A. Polite, Jr. of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney Timothy T. Duax for the Northern District of Iowa, Assistant Director Luis Quesada of the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division, Special Agent in Charge Eugene Kowel of the FBI Omaha Field Office, and Acting Inspector in Charge Brad Mahs of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) Denver Division made the announcement.

The FBI Omaha Field Office and USPIS Denver Division are investigating the case.

Trial Attorney Richard B. Evans of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section and Assistant U.S. Attorney Ron Timmons for the Northern District of Iowa are prosecuting the case.

An indictment is merely an allegation. All defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

https://www.woodburycountyiowa.gov/contact-us/9-board-of-supervisors-contacts/4-jeremy-taylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Didn't see it posted, but here's Garland's actual statement from a few hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKgqmtHiWY8&t=888s

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was going to joke that casting 23 illegal votes was probably decisive for a county board of supervisors election but it turns out he won by a little under 2k votes so that was pointless in edition to being very illegal

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think Garland of all people is going to be concerned that the right wing were going to do the thing they were going to do anyways.

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that Garland is very concerned about optics. Like did he really need to appoint a special counsel for Trump's classified files? He's a former president after all. But he did to put that layer of impartiality on the investigation. Hence why I think no matter how dead to rights Trump is for breaking the law he's not going to indict now that Biden is guilty of the "same thing" (which is very much not the same thing).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe someone else has better information, but my understanding is the FBI has a number of internal policies and regulations that Garland adheres to and that is why the Special Counsel was appointed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

christ, it's so depressing that so many blue-collar tradesman probably still voted republican even when they were apparently loving with prevailing wage. is it ignorance or spite driving it, who can tell

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

christ, it's so depressing that so many blue-collar tradesman probably still voted republican even when they were apparently loving with prevailing wage. is it ignorance or spite driving it, who can tell

It's the two party system, and american complacency .There are people who straight up identify as republicans, who don't even like any republican leadership. At this point, and I mean this sincerely not trolling (and I realize I'm not talking about people who typically pay as much attention as this community), the "lesser evil" being anything more than just that is as crazy an idea as Republicans helping the working class.

The idea that both parties lead nowhere has, in my experience, often been answered with "you can't look at it like that", and I guess that's true as far as your mental well-being goes.

I understand this topic is somewhat of a "thing", but it is always relevant to such a question as I quoted.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as someone who has worked non-union blue-collar jobs and prevailing wage jobs in the same year, the idea that a party flat out eliminating state prevailing wage would naturally be lost in the sea of political ennui is hard to wrap my mind around. maybe state prevailing wage in michigan wasn't as good as in california, but prevailing wage jobs were the ones that actually allowed you to save something at the end of the month. the prospect of just having one party visibly end those jobs, and shrugging and going "yeah, but clinton had nafta, so really who's to say?" is wild. this isn't democrats reinstating a voucher loan forgiveness program for small business owners in special zones, or whatever the gently caress, this is a meat and potatoes pocket book issue that the republicans hosed and apparently some state democrats are trying to unfuck

somehow failing to immediately reinstate prevailing wage would fall into the "both bad" camp

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lobster shirt posted:

i was going to joke that casting 23 illegal votes was probably decisive for a county board of supervisors election but it turns out he won by a little under 2k votes so that was pointless in edition to being very illegal

23 is the type of number where the person filling out fraudulent ballets thinks they’ve done a poo poo load but in actuality they’ve done so few it’ll almost never matter.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

In 2010 I was in a union shop that was near completely on board with gutting all the public sector unions that didn't support Walker. A few got upset about right to work but too many thought it was the union holding them back from better pay and conditions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SpeedFreek posted:

In 2010 I was in a union shop that was near completely on board with gutting all the public sector unions that didn't support Walker. A few got upset about right to work but too many thought it was the union holding them back from better pay and conditions.

The funny thing is, every single person I've talked to who thinks the union is holding them back is a below average worker. Not a terrible worker, they know the union is why they can suck and still get paid. Not a good worker, they all realize the benefits and see how everything just an inch outside the contract is hosed.

So it's the guys who wouldn't get fired, but also sure as hell wouldn't get promoted/raises who think they'd be better off. Like, you would not be getting anything other than maybe cost of living raises without the union, and those old timers you complain about never doing anything are actually doing multiple times your work. The last guy I argued with literally sat there talking to his mom on the phone for 2 hours the night before while we were twiddling our thumbs waiting for something to do. Motherfucker refused to acknowledge that would be an issue if he didn't have backing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

A few got upset about right to work but too many thought it was the union holding them back from better pay and conditions.
Did they explain why they thought that was the case?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crows Turn Off posted:

Better pay: Usually a variety of they could totally negotiate a better raise for themselves. Largely based on everyone getting the same increases which they think is unfair because they think they deserve more than others.

Better conditions: Usually bitching about seniority and bids being the basis of moving to other positions. Obviously there's issues with any system for promotion, but they generally think they'd be better for the job they want than whoever actually got the bid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

"I, as the protagonist of reality, am the best and hardest worker and everyone else is a lazy slob. Surely the boss will recognize this, so I'm better off on my own."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fister Roboto posted:

"I, as the protagonist of reality, am the best and hardest worker and everyone else is a lazy slob. Surely the boss will recognize this, so I'm better off on my own."

It's pretty much this, and an entire culture built to teach and reinforce this so those dudes believe they're the hero of the story and any attempt at solidarity with others is a trick from the devil, along with the completely mythical idea of upward mobility.

Of course there's different flavours of this for different demographics, see #Girlboss.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's also the huge psychological power of the line item on the paycheck.

Average union dues are about 1.5%. Seeing a separate line item for that (relatively small) amount coming out of every paycheck also drives people crazy and makes the loss feel more significant.

Yet, when Trump redid withholding formulas and Obama cut payroll taxes in 2009, those resulted in people getting ~3.5% more money in their paychecks and most people didn't even realize it happened at all - except for the Trump one where people actually got mad when they got smaller tax refunds because they had been getting part of their tax refund slowly paid back to them in every paycheck for the year instead of all in one lump sum at the end of the year. That money was all part of the giant pot that they don't keep track of, so most people thought they lost money due to the Trump tax cuts and didn't even realize that the Obama ones happened.

Same thing with a business: Raise menu prices at the restaurant by 15% and most people wouldn't notice because they don't eat there that frequently and it is a small dollar amount. Add a line item for a 15% service charge on the bill? Drives people insane.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Well, it is pretty easy to tell as there have been countless studies done on why "X" votes Republican despite it making no personal financial sense. The answer is always the same: they're pieces of poo poo who value their bigotries more than they value their material conditions. It isn't a mystery and they're not ignorant but actually keep receiving what they vote for more than any other constituency in America that is not wealthy.

But let's appeal to their material conditions for the 58th time, the hunt for the reasonable republican never ends!

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 13, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at humans being bad at numbers. reminds me when the old ceo/prez of jcpenney tried to just be honest about "sales" prices and then got his teeth kicked in due to people wanting to believe in the fantasy of a "sale" rpice.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that Garland is very concerned about optics. Like did he really need to appoint a special counsel for Trump's classified files? He's a former president after all. But he did to put that layer of impartiality on the investigation. Hence why I think no matter how dead to rights Trump is for breaking the law he's not going to indict now that Biden is guilty of the "same thing" (which is very much not the same thing).

its worse, since Biden wasn't president at the time. Of course, Biden doesn't seem to grasp the severity of his crime as he explains it away by saying his garage was locked :rolleyes:
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1613569668115214339

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Gyges posted:

Better pay: Usually a variety of they could totally negotiate a better raise for themselves. Largely based on everyone getting the same increases which they think is unfair because they think they deserve more than others.

Better conditions: Usually bitching about seniority and bids being the basis of moving to other positions. Obviously there's issues with any system for promotion, but they generally think they'd be better for the job they want than whoever actually got the bid.

Pretty much that, dues were hardly anything but complainers would get upset their dues were defending people they didn't like from bullshit disciplinary action. That 1 percent of your paycheck is worth the extra 50 percent you're getting because of the union.

On another note I'm really hoping Garland at least tries to make the case that these instances of mishandling documents are not the same.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The RAND Corporation performed an exhaustive study of impacts of different types of gun legislation on shooting deaths, defensive gun use, hunting and recreational sporting, and police shootings in America. This is the only major study of this type.

Major Findings:

- They found that of all the major gun control policies proposed, that only one (prohibiting firearm purchases by mentally ill people) did not have enough evidence to support conclusions that it would reduce gun homicides.

- None of the pro-gun or gun control policies had any impact on police shootings in a positive or negative way.

- Studies show that assault weapons bans may reduce mass shootings, but there is limited data and a conclusion can't be drawn yet. However, gun control measures that limit the amount of bullets in magazines and ban high-capacity magazines do reduce the number of people killed in mass shootings.

- Child safety features have no impact on overall gun violence or accidental deaths among adults, but do significantly reduce the amount of accidental deaths among children.

- None of the 18 policies they analyzed, both the pro-gun and gun control, had any impact on the number of people who used guns for hunting or sport.

- None of the gun control policies had any impact on the rate of people using guns in self-defense. Stand your ground laws did moderately increase the number of people who used their guns defensively.

- Raising minimum age requirements for buying firearms doesn't seem to have a major impact on the overall gun homicide rate, but does have a significant impact on the youth suicide and self-harm rate.

- Mandatory waiting periods do reduce the amount of total gun homicides, but the impact is very small.

- Banning assault weapons dramatically drives up their price and results in significantly decreased usage. However, it is not clear that it had a major impact on the overall gun homicide rate or how many people just switched to firearms that were not banned.

- Firearm licensing and permitting requirements don't seem to have a significant impact on gun homicides, but they do lead to a significant reduction in gun suicides.

- Concealed carry laws significantly increase the amount of gun-related deaths, but there isn't enough evidence to say that they increase overall violent crime.

https://twitter.com/RANDCorporation/status/1613256956168347648

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/13/politics/aca-open-enrollment-deadline

obamacare enrollment is up, possibly due to the increased subsidies and lowered premium maximums (from 10% to 8.5%) passed as part of the IRA. those last through 2025 so there is going to be a big fight brewing in a few years about extending the changes or make them permanent. dems better hope the 2024 election goes better for them in the house and senate; at least they didn't have this stuff phase out in an election year and piss everyone off right as they were figuring out who they want to vote for.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I thought it would take a while longer before debt limit shenanigans would unfold with a GOP House in place, but it looks like the drama is already starting.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1613946606130282496

quote:

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday notified Congress that the U.S. will reach its statutory debt limit next Thursday and that the Treasury Department will begin “taking certain extraordinary measures to prevent the United States from defaulting on its obligations.”

Yellen wrote that although the Treasury Department “is not currently able” to estimate how long those emergency actions will allow the U.S. to pay for government obligations, “It is unlikely that cash and extraordinary measures will be exhausted before early June.

The fact that we have this dialogue every 6-12 months is maddening. This is so stupid.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2023/01/13/debt-limit-extraordinary-measures-treasury/

So, uhm. Looks like we're in for a debt-ceiling fight... next week.

I am not enthused about this, all things considered.

e: gently caress! That'll teach me to read the drat article to make sure before linking it.

e2: Adding some more detail.

quote:

The Treasury Department on Friday said that it will begin “extraordinary measures” next week to prevent the United States government from defaulting on its payment obligations, as lawmakers in Washington prepare for a potentially devastating fiscal showdown.

In a letter to congressional officials, Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen said the administration would on Jan. 19 begin repurposing federal funds to extend the date by which the government will run out of money. Congress must pass a law raising the debt limit from its current total of $31.4 trillion or the Treasury can’t borrow any more, even to pay for spending lawmakers have already authorized.

“The use of extraordinary measures enables the government to meet its obligations for only a limited amount of time,” Yellen said in a letter to congressional leaders. “It is therefore critical that Congress act in a timely manner to increase or suspend the debt limit. Failure to meet the government’s obligations would cause irreparable harm to the U.S. economy, the livelihoods of all Americans, and global financial stability.”

[...]

Speaking to reporters Thursday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said he hoped to “sit down with [Biden] early” to work through a number of outstanding fiscal issues, potentially including the looming need to raise the debt ceiling. In doing so, McCarthy reaffirmed Republicans' interest in seeking an agreement that could cap spending in exchange for votes to address the country's borrowing cap.

“We've got to change the way we're spending money wastefully in this country,” he said.

God drat, McCarthy's a loving idiot.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 13, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I am stoked for it, but just because I love to see disparate factions of the ruling class tearing at each other. It won’t really be exciting until they have the choppers out over it, though. I think that’s a decade or more down the road.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that the Dems had time this fall to pass a debt ceiling extension on their own and refused to

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember that the Dems had time this fall to pass a debt ceiling extension on their own and refused to

It's such an insanely dumb thing. Same with some of the other decisions they made because they chose optics over good public policy.

Multiple Senators were saying that they thought it would look bad if they voted to abolish the debt ceiling or just raise it by 900 trillion because then everyone will think they voted for 900 trillion in new debt, so they need to force Republicans to vote for it.

When people saying there is a thing called "Beltway Brain" this is what they mean.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought it would take a while longer before debt limit shenanigans would unfold with a GOP House in place, but it looks like the drama is already starting.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1613946606130282496

The fact that we have this dialogue every 6-12 months is maddening. This is so stupid.

COIN TIME

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Biden’s never going to mint the coin

Which is why I think more than likely we default

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

You think Biden is gonna gently caress with the money?

Biden isn't going to gently caress with the money.

That's why we have Biden in the first place.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is no way in hell Biden chooses default over anything else.

Default is so indescribably bad for everything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Only 4 Republicans need to bail on the plan to raise the debt ceiling, so I don't think they are going to be forcing their Social Security plan and balanced budget amendment through the Senate and veto.

I could definitely see some brinksmanship about it, though. Or a Dem cave on something smaller than that.

There's also a constitutional argument that the 14th amendment makes the debt ceiling unconstitutional, but it has never been challenged.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
From what I understand, default isn't immediate and any economic consequences are going to unfold gradually instead of grinding the economy to an immediate halt.

There''s quite lot of pain that could unfold before we ever get to a full-on default. We wouldn't need a default to get a government shutdown, for example.

I don't think Biden lets us get to a full-on default, but the impasse could get pretty hairy for all of us before then.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's such an insanely dumb thing. Same with some of the other decisions they made because they chose optics over good public policy.

Multiple Senators were saying that they thought it would look bad if they voted to abolish the debt ceiling or just raise it by 900 trillion because then everyone will think they voted for 900 trillion in new debt, so they need to force Republicans to vote for it.

When people saying there is a thing called "Beltway Brain" this is what they mean.

I dunno, I feel like it's to the Dem's benefits to force the Republicans to vote for a clean ceiling increase, which they absolutely will because the alternative will get them screamed at by all their donors.

Edit: this basically (which you also posted)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Only 4 Republicans need to bail on the plan to raise the debt ceiling, so I don't think they are going to be forcing their Social Security plan and balanced budget amendment through the Senate and veto.

I could definitely see some brinksmanship about it, though. Or a Dem cave on something smaller than that.

There's also a constitutional argument that the 14th amendment makes the debt ceiling unconstitutional, but it has never been challenged.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Debt ceiling hostage-taking is a political loser for Republicans every single time and yet happens every single time. At this point a lot of them have openly expressed disinterest in this gimmick but the hardliners can't quit it.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I understand, default isn't immediate and any economic consequences are going to unfold gradually instead of grinding the economy to an immediate halt.

There''s quite lot of pain that could unfold before we ever get to a full-on default. We wouldn't need a default to get a government shutdown, for example.

I don't think Biden lets us get to a full-on default, but the impasse could get pretty hairy for all of us before then.

It's really impossible to know, because the problem is that it will start a panic at some point. That will cause a cascade of bank runs and market collapses. Even minting the coin could cause a run on the dollar, which would cause it to cascade into the shipping and international commodity markets.

You can't build enough cushioning if the right wing project decides to play chicken with a cliff. The might even get the coin declared unconstitutional or something.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think an immediate consequence would be a hit to the US credit rating. Hell that might even happen before Thursday.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Barrel Cactaur posted:

You can't build enough cushioning if the right wing project decides to play chicken with a cliff. The might even get the coin declared unconstitutional or something.

Now that can't happen. You can't say the president can't coin money when the constitution says he can. You'd have to have carefully stacked the body that does constitutional review with insane liars responsible to no one or something.

Ah. Hm.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Charliegrs posted:

I think an immediate consequence would be a hit to the US credit rating. Hell that might even happen before Thursday.

Nah, we hit Extraordinary Measures so often that it's priced in already. It's when they start doing daily revisions to the end of Extraordinary Measures (so, June +/-) that poo poo starts getting real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The US credit rating already took a hit, during the Obama administration we got downgraded from AAA to AA

Devor posted:

Nah, we hit Extraordinary Measures so often that it's priced in already. It's when they start doing daily revisions to the end of Extraordinary Measures (so, June +/-) that poo poo starts getting real.

This just means if we do actually fail to make a payment, the shock is going to be even greater