Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

loving figures there'd be a run on noble hop varieties just as I'm supposed to brew a Berliner weisse, a German pils, and a Biere de Mars.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

So the management wants more fruit beers. I'm fine with that but when it comes down to scheduling the manager I work with usually puts things in another direction. I've pitched a few and this summer I plan to make more.

I have it in the schedule to make a fruited Belgian golden strong. Originally I wanted to do pomegranate. I thought it'd be unique and work well with the style, provided that we could get the puree. I'm not sure we can, but that wasn't the reason management rejected it. They wanted me to use "cute" fruit...WTF IS CUTE FRUIT??? I hate trying to decipher management speak...

So far the list includes: strawberry (bad for brewing), cherry, mango, and passion fruit. IDGI.

more falafel please

forums poster

is pear "cute"? I always get a pear note from the duvel yeast already

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

I'll have to ask the manager.

More than likely I'll tell him to stop saying "cute" and give me a list or something.

more falafel please

forums poster

I have nonstop back-to-back meetings from 2 to 5:30 today so rip to getting any actual work done

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mangosteens are up there on the cute fruit list
https://www.eater.com/2019/8/1/20750501/a-ranking-of-cute-fruits

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
It's friday of the most [australian word]-y week and I am beyond exhausted, goons :smith:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

I do my job, another lady's job, have to be the expert on multiple systems, do all the administration, organise and run the training, write the ad copy, oh and did I mention I started in October???

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

I am profoundly sad in my bones and idk what to do about it lol

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chewbecca posted:

I am profoundly sad in my bones and idk what to do about it lol

oh man that is a heavy burden to bear in january, the saddest of months

Chewbecca

Dr. Honked posted:

oh man that is a heavy burden to bear in january, the saddest of months

I am gonna lie in bed before I try to will myself to my desk :dogge:

Escape From Noise

Fortunately, I'm pretty much done for the week. Although I need to figure out what hops I can and should order to sub for the noble hops I cannot get.

Chewbecca

I am done for the week and boy does work fucken suck dicks!!!!

Escape From Noise

gently caress. This European hop shortage is loving killing me. Just no Golding available this year. At all.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chewbecca posted:

I am done for the week and boy does work fucken suck dicks!!!!

i'm just starting on friday and i'm hoping for a smooth slide into the weekend

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Why are tables so awful in Word?? Doing even simple tables is a pain in the rear end. I thinnk the secret is to import them from excel as a jpeg. Otherwise formatting them sucks

Escape From Noise

[In Steve Albini voice]: Tables!

Farecoal

There he go
Why do some places still require you to take a personality test as part of the application. What possible benefit does it give

xcheopis

Farecoal posted:

Why do some places still require you to take a personality test as part of the application. What possible benefit does it give

Meyers-Briggs?
https://www.askamanager.org/2014/12/im-being-asked-to-take-the-meyers-briggs-test-as-part-of-applying-to-a-training-program.html

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Finger Prince

Farecoal posted:

Interviewer: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping.
Farecoal: What do you mean I'm not helping?
Interviewer: I mean, you're not helping. Why is that Farecoal? -- They're just questions, Farecoal. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response. -- Shall we continue? Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about... your mother.

Farecoal

There he go

The ones I've seen have all been "pick which statement describes you best", and half of the time the options are between "I love to lick customer's yummy boots" and "I am a lazy subversive who hates people do not hire me"

Finger Prince posted:

Interviewer: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping.
Farecoal: What do you mean I'm not helping?
Interviewer: I mean, you're not helping. Why is that Farecoal? -- They're just questions, Farecoal. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response. -- Shall we continue? Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about... your mother.

Listen I hate these tests for perfectly legitimate reasons :ninja:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Farecoal posted:

i'm just going to take a wild guess here - they're idiot hell fuckers who suckle on the teat of bullshit like lil babbys?

Chewbecca

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm just going to take a wild guess here - they're idiot hell fuckers who suckle on the teat of bullshit like lil babbys?

Its this

Farecoal

There he go

Dr. Honked posted:

The answer was in my heart all along

Escape From Noise

It's amazing how many CEOs cling to personality tests despite the fact they've been thoroughly debunked.

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

It's amazing how many CEOs cling to personality tests despite the fact they've been thoroughly debunked.

I don't think of it as necessarily clinging to it as them being sold a line by some consulting group that promises if you just do this one weird trick that hiring managers hate, you'll be magically blessed with the most perfectest motivated workforce imaginable because it does away with all that ugly guesswork of human interaction.

Escape From Noise

I've been really stressing myself out over suddenly having to ramp up production and put a production schedule together with a ton on bottlenecks. Then I realized I'm mostly just stressing myself out and things are mostly fine.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Escape From Noise posted:

I've been really stressing myself out over suddenly having to ramp up production and put a production schedule together with a ton on bottlenecks. Then I realized I'm mostly just stressing myself out and things are mostly fine.

yes!!!! i have discovered over the years that 99.9% of my anxiety has been pointless

it's still hard to get over it though. one meaty chunk of my brain just wants to worry about stupid poo poo for no reason

Escape From Noise

Dr. Honked posted:

yes!!!! i have discovered over the years that 99.9% of my anxiety has been pointless

it's still hard to get over it though. one meaty chunk of my brain just wants to worry about stupid poo poo for no reason

I think a lot of it is that theoretically things could have run more smoothly had I been able to finalize things the first week of the month. But even then it's also me getting way too concerned about little things.

Finger Prince

What a loving shitshow this morning, and I'm not firing on all cylinders on account of the poo poo sleep I got.

Escape From Noise

I'm really glad that the restaurant manager has no say in the production schedule and beers I make, and I can ignore his bizarre and awful suggestions. It is a bit frustrating sometimes, because it would be nice to be able to talk to the person who sells product about what's selling and isn't, get an idea of what might sell well, work together to promote the beers, and maybe plan a bit out together. Instead I have to deal with a guy who just has has these ideas based on...I don't know what like "You should make a beer with Peruvian ginseng!" because it's a boner herb. Which I guess is going to be great because it's "interesting".

Recently he's been saying I should make a milkshake IPA which...no because a. I hate them b. They're gross and c. They're not even popular anymore. You need marketing to get the word out on that kind of poo poo. He thinks it'll be popular because our customers don't know beer and it's sweet and fruity. The kind of customers who are interested are usually pretty big beer geeks and a lot of times the big selling point (as with NEIPA) is using new hype hops, but it's more niche that NEIPA because of the fruit and lactose. Anyone who doesn't know beer but is interested is probably going for a pale ale, lager, IPA, or more traditional fruit beer (kettle sour or blonde) IMHO.

It's just this thing where he thinks that we just need to make This One Weird Style and it's gonna sell like crazy when the truth is even if I just cranked out nothing but super hype styles like pastry stouts, NEIPAs, smoothie sours, and modern/mountain/whatever-the-gently caress-it's-called IPAs, sales wouldn't take off because this place cannot market for poo poo or figure out outside sales. These places that blow up making popular styles do so because they make those styles well, sure, but they put a lot into marketing, graphic design, etc. But yeah. Let's make a milkshake IPA when even NEIPA is starting to wain in popularity.

Well. That certainly became a rant because a guy mentioned making a milkshake IPA.

Chewbecca

Finger Prince posted:

What a loving shitshow this morning, and I'm not firing on all cylinders on account of the poo poo sleep I got.

What happened, goon?

Chewbecca

Dr. Honked posted:

Last Friday I was so angry and anxious about a schedule I had to put together, with a bunch of administration tasks attached. Yesterday I was like....oh its mostly done

Chewbecca

Would be nice if our meat chunks conspired to help us....but anyway!!

Finger Prince

Chewbecca posted:

What happened, goon?

Everything all at once.

Escape From Noise

It's just a huge pain in the rear end to fit all the logistics together ATM.

Finger Prince

Work is poo poo, but I have a pencil that does this
https://i.imgur.com/2QIXqAo.mp4
Which is immensely satisfying.

xcheopis

I think one of the unsheltered people I was helping back in 2020-2021 has either died or been forcibly removed from his camping spot. The neighbors and his ex-wife worked hard to get him services and he did get into transitional housing but then found out his "stuff" (which included rotting food) was being cleared away and bolted back to the neighborhood, where his hoarding situation dramatically worsened. (This tends to happen when long-time hoarders have everything taken from them all at once, with or without support from behavioral health professional but especially without.)
I went to work Friday and there were all his carts, spread all over and piled high with literal garbage, came home and everything was gone. There are very small signs of fire but it was pouring rain much of the day and an out of control fire would have left a lot more damage to the surroundings.
But, there had also been a bad car accident some time the prior evening or early in the morning (evidenced by a very smashed up car still on the sidewalk), and maybe he was somehow involved, as a victim?
I need to ask the street health teams if they've heard anything. I hope he's ok.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Today in asinine corporate logic, my expense report got returned because the hotel rate was above our company's "reasonable rate". This is bullshit because:

1) The client is paying for it, and they give zero fucks whatsoever. This client will pay pants-shittingly absurd travel expenses, even without receipts. The reason the client gives zero fucks is because they are already paying double that nightly hotel rate for each hour for my time, at an 8-hour per day minimum. The reason they are paying so much for my time is because I was solving a problem for them that has been costing them upper five-figures a day, so this is just quibbling over pocket change.

2) It's not unreasonable for a hotel at all, especially for an airport location in a major city (the client office is right near the airport).

3) We have a preferred account with this hotel, and I got a way better deal than I would have gotten at any of the other hotels nearby.

4) This "reasonable" hotel rate is a mystery that was not communicated in any of the extensive policy documents or training sessions related to expenses that I was required to go through.

5) I had to book the hotel through our company's internal travel service, which means they knew the rate when they booked it, and could have said something at the time but didn't.

6) Apparently spending $15/day for a hot meal is also considered too extravagant.

7) Did I mention the client is happy to pay for 100% of it?

8) gently caress this company so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Buttchocks posted:

Today in asinine corporate logic, my expense report got returned because the hotel rate was above our company's "reasonable rate". This is bullshit because:

1) The client is paying for it, and they give zero fucks whatsoever. This client will pay pants-shittingly absurd travel expenses, even without receipts. The reason the client gives zero fucks is because they are already paying double that nightly hotel rate for each hour for my time, at an 8-hour per day minimum. The reason they are paying so much for my time is because I was solving a problem for them that has been costing them upper five-figures a day, so this is just quibbling over pocket change.

2) It's not unreasonable for a hotel at all, especially for an airport location in a major city (the client office is right near the airport).

3) We have a preferred account with this hotel, and I got a way better deal than I would have gotten at any of the other hotels nearby.

4) This "reasonable" hotel rate is a mystery that was not communicated in any of the extensive policy documents or training sessions related to expenses that I was required to go through.

5) I had to book the hotel through our company's internal travel service, which means they knew the rate when they booked it, and could have said something at the time but didn't.

6) Apparently spending $15/day for a hot meal is also considered too extravagant.

7) Did I mention the client is happy to pay for 100% of it?

8) gently caress this company so hard.

Resubmit, but for the approving manager, select the director of the guy who rejected it, then send an email to said boss saying "fixed a huge costly problem for Client Moneybags, need this approved ASAP please. Was rejected for some reason."