Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gotcha, i'll grab pics and get details like serial numbers, etc next time I'm over there. they are looking to clear stuff out but i'd hate to see actual valuable stuff get wasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anything Sansui or Marantz is junk and should be sent to me for exactly $5

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

My understanding is that those later DVD/LD combo players weren't as nice as the standalone LD players. I'd definitely go for a Pioneer standalone player if there's one available around that price.

aww. it's just kinda cool, honestly.

i also want to get an SACD player at some point even if SACD has like barely any audible advantage over redbook outside of surround. just like weirdo formats actually being used

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the nice thing is that turntables and *especially* speakers haven't really technologically advanced much since the 70s so well-made stuff is going to remain good.

Crossovers, tuning, computer cabinet modeling, etc. have got a lot better since the 70s. So the individual components are pretty similar to vintage stuff but modern speakers sound substantially different. Not going to disagree that speakers that sounded good then will sound good now, provided they’re in good condition.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
would it be fair to say that the biggest advancement in the last few decades or so has been the quality of entry/midrange stuff

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would it be fair to say that the biggest advancement in the last few decades or so has been the quality of entry/midrange stuff

Compared to 80s/90s, for sure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i also want to get an SACD player at some point even if SACD has like barely any audible advantage over redbook outside of surround. just like weirdo formats actually being used

if you want it and can comfortably afford it then get it. No shame in being collector scum here :getin:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The fact that you can get a Wiim mini and a pair of powered Edifiers and have a pretty complete sound system for like $300 is amazing but there's some good poo poo at the top end of the market too. Of course there's also still a demand for old style speakers, as evidenced by the return of the "monkey coffin" from JBL, Mission, Wharfedale, PSB, etc. That also might be because the high end market is almost entirely made up of dudes who were in high school 50 years ago.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can get DVD/SACD players all over the place for cheap, because people think they are just DVD players. Pure SACD players usually cost more, because audiophile brainvirus.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

evobatman posted:

You can get DVD/SACD players all over the place for cheap, because people think they are just DVD players. Pure SACD players usually cost more, because audiophile brainvirus.

I stupidly let a low end OPPO which also played DVD-A sit at a thrift store for months.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Just get a Sony BD from what, 2008-2015 or whenever they were bundling in SACD into them. Got mine for $10 at Goodwill. As long as you have a DSD compatible DAC you're good

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Mederlock posted:

Just get a Sony BD from what, 2008-2015 or whenever they were bundling in SACD into them. Got mine for $10 at Goodwill. As long as you have a DSD compatible DAC you're good

I was curious about this since I have like.. 3 SACD's? Turns out my Sony BD player can do SACD but it only outputs DSD via the HDMI output, so if you just plug the optical or coax into a DAC, even if it's DSD capable it's just gonna spit out 44.1kHz ones and zeroes. Not sure if this is common or if this is a recent Sony thing, either way any difference I hear is imagined anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i do have a ps3 but for some reason they never bothered to put SACD into those. you'd think they would have

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DoesNotCompute posted:

I was curious about this since I have like.. 3 SACD's? Turns out my Sony BD player can do SACD but it only outputs DSD via the HDMI output, so if you just plug the optical or coax into a DAC, even if it's DSD capable it's just gonna spit out 44.1kHz ones and zeroes. Not sure if this is common or if this is a recent Sony thing, either way any difference I hear is imagined anyway.

My Onkyo AV receiver can interpret the DSD data stream via HDMI so that's what I use. It sounds pretty great ngl.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i do have a ps3 but for some reason they never bothered to put SACD into those. you'd think they would have

Actually the launch models did include SACD. They stripped it out along with full Backwards Compatibility, the memory card reader and some other stuff to lower the price shortly after launch. Years later someone figured out you can use them to rip the DSD files using them. http://ps3sacd.com/

I believe there are ways to do it now with other SACD devices as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my god..... it truly is the greatest console ever

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I got a pretty cool Mitsubishi system a couple weekends ago.

It's found its way into my bedroom system, has a good punchy sound to it, and looks great. It came with a tuner and tape deck, but I won't use either. I just love the silver face era mini systems, I got a little Aiwa set up as well for my computer audio set up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I just got an SL-1200 MK5 for an absolute steal. It looks nearly unused for 20 years. Only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that the tonearm height adjustment was seized, which I have it apart, have gotten it loosened and cleaned. What should I use to grease it? There is OEM Technics stuff which I could get but I am sure there is something better and more importantly cheaper.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Djarum posted:

So I just got an SL-1200 MK5 for an absolute steal. It looks nearly unused for 20 years. Only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that the tonearm height adjustment was seized, which I have it apart, have gotten it loosened and cleaned. What should I use to grease it? There is OEM Technics stuff which I could get but I am sure there is something better and more importantly cheaper.

I just ordered translucent silicone grease to do this exact thing. Arrives tomorrow, I picked it because it’s a non-hardening viscous lubricant that doesn’t interact poorly with any of the surfaces involved. Going to be doing the work day after tomorrow and can report back but I doubt it’ll be an issue.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
When you want to convert your SL1200 to RCA jacks after the cable fails but don't want to spend $279 on the mod someone came up with.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DoesNotCompute posted:

When you want to convert your SL1200 to RCA jacks after the cable fails but don't want to spend $279 on the mod someone came up with.

3D printed I take it? Got a link to the files?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Djarum posted:

3D printed I take it? Got a link to the files?

Yep 3D printed with a Creality Halot Sky, just did v2 that solved a few clearance problems and used a different resin for aesthetic purposes. Could share the STL, shoot me a message.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Toying with getting a turntable, but I'm sorta starting from zero from a equipment perspective; no decent speakers, no receiver. The only thing we have is a soundbar that's hooked up to the TV via optical...but it does have bluetooth. Craigslist looks a little thin, and honestly picking through used equipment when my knowledge base is nil feels intimidating.

My instinct is a bluetooth turntable over something with speakers built in, because at entry level I'm probably going to get better sound (although immediately pushing the analog signal over BT is sorta funny). Past that, cursory googling turns up the AT-LP60XBT is an acceptable entry point.

Does that all seem right? The buy in isn't low but that turntable also feels like something I can build on if I decide to make this a whole goddamned thing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boxman posted:

Toying with getting a turntable, but I'm sorta starting from zero from a equipment perspective; no decent speakers, no receiver. The only thing we have is a soundbar that's hooked up to the TV via optical...but it does have bluetooth. Craigslist looks a little thin, and honestly picking through used equipment when my knowledge base is nil feels intimidating.

My instinct is a bluetooth turntable over something with speakers built in, because at entry level I'm probably going to get better sound (although immediately pushing the analog signal over BT is sorta funny). Past that, cursory googling turns up the AT-LP60XBT is an acceptable entry point.

Does that all seem right? The buy in isn't low but that turntable also feels like something I can build on if I decide to make this a whole goddamned thing.

This used to be the go-to advice, but that was back when the AT-LP60 was $99 or $119 regularly. I'm looking now and the price is $219(!?). I'd say it's not worth anything close to that cost. It's a cheaply made plastic turntable that really won't grow with you if you decide to turn it into a real hobby.

Something like the Fluance RT81 is $30 more, comes with a nicer cartridge, and will feel much nicer quality overall.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Elliptical-Counterweight-Anti-Skating-RT81/dp/B01F2EXIFM

The only problem then will be that it doesn't have bluetooth. Does your soundbar have any other inputs available? Even if it just has a second optical input, it looks like you can get RCA->optical boxes for around $20. I don't know how well they do the digital conversion but it can't be worse quality than bluetooth.

If $250-$280 is too much to swallow, I would recommend the Crosley C100BT over the LP60 if you want something with bluetooth built in. Like the Fluance, it also comes with an AT-95E cart.
https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-C100BT-BK-Belt-Drive-Adjustable-Counterweight/dp/B099NXVPNL/

Note I don't have any hands-on experience with any of these turntables except the LP60. Maybe someone who has actually bought a new turntable recently can chime in as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boxman posted:

1) Do you have a hard budget for what you want to do? (Particularly realizing that records are outrageously expensive right now)

2) what is the reason you want to buy a record player?
A) you like the tactile feedback of handling physical media (you may also enjoy building a real stereo)
B) you want to listen to high quality audio (records aren’t necessarily any higher fidelity than other media sources, including streaming, and even then it’s often only if you have higher end equipment. Not an audiophile opinion, but a cheap cartridge isn’t the same as a better one. ALSO, anything you play over Bluetooth is limited by the Bluetooth. Doesn’t matter what the source is)
C) you like collecting stuff as a hobby and learning about your collection and maybe tinkering a little (you may enjoy building a stereo)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wouldn't bother with trying to deal with a turntable over bluetooth, especially at the low end price point it all sounds significantly worse and you'll end up having issues with connectivity and sync in my experience. You are much better off just getting a pair of powered speakers .

Personally I'd recommend the Klipsch R-51PMs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKCP7PZ/

I have the non-powered model and they sound absolutely fantastic. I tried much more expensive models including some floor standing speakers and they didn't sound as good as these. They have optical, bluetooth, usb in as well as a sub out connection so you can hook pretty much whatever else you want up to them and there is an upgrade path if you so desired. The big plus is that it has a built in phono input, which means you can connect pretty much any turntable right up to it without having to worry about a preamp. You can catch them on sale for under $200 if you look around as well. An absolute steal.

This would open you up to a lot of better turntables right off the bat. For example the Fluance RT83 or 85. I would probably get the RT83 if you aren't ready to jump both feet into vinyl. The upgrade path would be to get the Acrylic Platter and a better stylus if you desired at a later date although the 2M Red is an fantastic cart. The Fluance turntables absolutely punch out of their league in terms of sound and build quality, nothing else new at the price point comes close.

This would give you an absolutely very solid system, which some upgrade path possibilities if you decide to go further which most budget stuff does not give you. If you decide that it isn't for you, it can be easily unloaded without losing much value.

One other thing to consider that most newbies forget is don't forget some of the accessories; a stylus pressure scale, alignment tool, stylus and vinyl cleaning brush are all very inexpensive but most people new to vinyl often ignore them or don't know to get them. A good friend of mine who has a massive vinyl collection and a expensive turntable informed me that he never knew about how to setup the cartridge and tonearm at all. He just put an expensive cartridge on this thing years ago and went. We went to properly set it up a couple weeks ago and was amazed how much better stuff sounded. "I think a lot of records I thought were bad pressings was because of my setup."

DoesNotCompute posted:

Yep 3D printed with a Creality Halot Sky, just did v2 that solved a few clearance problems and used a different resin for aesthetic purposes. Could share the STL, shoot me a message.

I would be you don't have PMs.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Adding to the above, I really wouldn't start with a turntable over BT either. You can get a very reasonable Chi-Fi setup these days that sounds really solid. Bluetooth, especially the codec that they'll use in a cheap BT turntable is just going to really limit what you'll get out of your records, and so will the soundbar. A 2.0 or 2.1 channel stereo system can still be hooked up to your tv for a big improvement over the soundbar, and will have tons of upgradability and modularity for you to build it out as you like over the years. The soundbar and a Bluetooth turntable are going to be a dead end, in comparison.

Something like this for the Amp https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Amplifier-Class-Channel-50watt/dp/B08MJBG53V/

With something like this if you want multiple sources (ie. TV, CD, and turntable into the amp) https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Bi-Directional-Channel-Splitter-Selector/dp/B099WMC1DJ/

Then something like the Sony SS-CS5 's , they drop down to like $90 on sale too and they're on for $125 right now https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5721014.p?skuId=5721014#&intl=nosplash

Keep in mind you'll need a turntable with a Line Out option, and if the turntable you get doesn't have that, you'll need a phono preamp that you wire the turntable into first.

For the turntable, it's hard to beat the AT-LP60X for $150, it's fully automatic and comes with a line out and phono out, meaning you won't need a phono preamp unless you wanted to upgrade down the road. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60X-BK-Belt-Drive-Hi-Fidelity-Anti-Resonance/dp/B07N3XJ66N/

After you buy the Amazon basics speaker wire and other cables and whatnot, with the above you'd be able to get a very respectable stereo and turntable setup, start spinning your vinyl and getting a much more enjoyable experience from all of your audio sources for about $425. If your tv doesn't have RCA out, all you'd need is an inexpensive Optical to RCA converter.

It has lot sof room to grow too, you can add in a Fosi audio BT receiver to play music from your phones if you want, you can add a CD player if you want really high quality music, you can get an active subwoofer with speaker wire input/passthrough to really fill out the sound, etc. Etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What is Chi-fi? Is the Chi for Chinese?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Some good discussion, but some of it is mooted because...

wa27 posted:

Does your soundbar have any other inputs available?

God dammit, I didn't even think to check this. I haven't looked at the thing since I hung it up years ago and I wasn't concerned with other inputs. It does! RCA, 3.5, USB, whole 9 yards back there. There've been lots of suggestions for turntables, so I think this actually solves my problem.

I have zero experience with any sound systems, so just to make sure I understand - an independent amp is only necessary if my speakers are unpowered, right? So I can get a turntable with a preamp, run it to the RCA input on the (powered) sound bar, and I'll be up and running?

Another note - getting away from bluetooth means I have a lot more flexibility to buy used, which drives the price down more. There seems to be a bit of disagreement if AT's entry level stuff is worth the asking price more (although no bluetooth makes the LP-60 $70 cheaper lol), but what about going older and used? Say, the PL50 for $70? Automatic with a pre-amp, so it doesn't look like its too far behind the state of the art.

BigFactory posted:

1) Do you have a hard budget for what you want to do? (Particularly realizing that records are outrageously expensive right now)

2) what is the reason you want to buy a record player?

Budget wise, nothing too firm, but I was grimacing just a bit at the $230 + tax of the bluetooth enabled AT turntable. I'd say $250 is where I'd draw a line, and obviously if I can get to acceptable with less than that, it just means more money for records, which is the entire point.

I really like the physicality of the thing, and certainly upgrading my sound system to get off the sound bar is a medium term goal. I always get analysis paralysis there, though, because I feel like receivers have a pretty high buy in, and that's before you get to actual speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect you haven't looked at vinyl prices in the last few years if a $300 turntable sounds too rich. Average is $30/album for new issues and anything remotely collectible is more unless it's beat to poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

qirex posted:

I suspect you haven't looked at vinyl prices in the last few years if a $300 turntable sounds too rich. Average is $30/album for new issues and anything remotely collectible is more unless it's beat to poo poo.

$40 plus shipping for a new single LP seems to be the case just as often if you’re buying a pre-order or something.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

qirex posted:

Yeah, prices of everything is pretty insane right now. A respectable setup from scratch you should look at about 400-500, which isn't cheap by any means but also you won't immediately feel like you need to spend more money in the immediate.

Boxman posted:

Another note - getting away from bluetooth means I have a lot more flexibility to buy used, which drives the price down more. There seems to be a bit of disagreement if AT's entry level stuff is worth the asking price more (although no bluetooth makes the LP-60 $70 cheaper lol), but what about going older and used? Say, the PL50 for $70? Automatic with a pre-amp, so it doesn't look like its too far behind the state of the art.

Budget wise, nothing too firm, but I was grimacing just a bit at the $230 + tax of the bluetooth enabled AT turntable. I'd say $250 is where I'd draw a line, and obviously if I can get to acceptable with less than that, it just means more money for records, which is the entire point.

A big issue you will run into with both that PL50 and the LP-60 is that they use non-standard cartridges, which will limit your upgrade path severely as most decent carts are standard half-inch. When the LP-60 was 100 bucks it was a great starter turntable for someone to not use one of those garbage suitcase players or the like as they at least won't damage your vinyl. But at the current prices they are awful value for money and with next to no upgrade path.

It is totally worth spending an extra bit to have something you can move forward without having to replace entire parts of your setup. For example with the Fluance RT83 comes with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge in it which is a very well liked cart and $100 by itself. If you decide you want to upgrade that you can buy a 2M Blue stylus for about $200 and it is effectively plug and play. With an LP-60 if you wanted to move to a better cart than the ATN3600L that is on it you will have to get an entirely new turntable.

$350-500 is the sweet spot right now for a decent turntable at the moment. There are plenty of deals used as well in that price point where you can get something significantly better but you need to know what you are looking for and hunt around/get lucky.

Also check around at thrift stores and the like for receivers, you can score pretty solid stuff from the last 10-15 years for almost nothing. You might have to get a phono pre-amp, which you can get a Rolls VP29 for 50-60 bucks which is more than enough to get you started. I have effectively this setup at the moment with a Sony receiver from the late 00s and a Rolls and I am extremely happy.

But don't cheap out too much on the important stuff, it will cost you significantly more when you go to upgrade.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
alternately become like me and exclusively collect classical music

I'd also say the $250 mark is better off with a quality old turntable but this *is* the vintage thread. if you're new, you may want to see if any local hi-fi/stereo shops trade in refurbished equipment, because if this is your first turntable you might not want to get one in unknown condition from Craigslist or something

i personally rock the "old cheapie table/preamp/powered speaker" combo which works fine for my purposes

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

This is all great advice and you've given me some knowledge to go forward with. I don't know where I'll land, but i feel like I'm at least out of questions. Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd also say that if you just save the money and wait like, one more paycheck or something the $350-450 mark gets you a ton more choices for new turntables than the $200-250 mark

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boxman posted:

This is all great advice and you've given me some knowledge to go forward with. I don't know where I'll land, but i feel like I'm at least out of questions. Thanks!

I also don’t think you should be afraid to go vintage at all. It’s way more fun (I think) but you gotta like hunting down things at estate sales and Craigslist and stuff like that. If you don’t like that, then I would follow all of the recommendations above.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also if they're in good condition an old table will have like, actual features beyond "motor on". like auto return/stop which is handy if you're like me and sometimes doze off to music

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Even at $150 for an LP60, I'd say look at vintage around the $150-$200 range and you'll likely be happier. And if you're looking at vintage, don't limit yourself to ones with a pre-amp only. You can get a pre-amp for cheap. Including them in the turntable is more of a modern convenience that wasn't common back in the day.

edit: not sure if anyone answered your question, but yes, a dedicated amplifier/receiver is only needed if you were powering passive speakers. You can just feed the (pre-amplified) signal straight into your soundbar and it will work.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

What is Chi-fi? Is the Chi for Chinese?

Yeah, it's just a term for the new wave of very capable, very aggressively priced Chinese made hi-fi gear. Their price/performance ratio is off the charts, but you gotta be picky and choosy about what you get. The term even extends to some products in the $2000-$3000 range that compete with products 2-5x the price. I absolutely do not mean it in any disparaging way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

I also don’t think you should be afraid to go vintage at all. It’s way more fun (I think) but you gotta like hunting down things at estate sales and Craigslist and stuff like that. If you don’t like that, then I would follow all of the recommendations above.

Only issue really with going vintage is being patient to get what you want. It took me over a year to get my new SL-1200. I found a MK5 that might have had under a dozen hours on it and got it shipped to me in a hard road case for a LOT less than a lot of really banged up MK2s go for. I had to do some light surface cleaning and a little bit of service since it had sat in a case since 2002 but it was a hell of a deal.

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, it's just a term for the new wave of very capable, very aggressively priced Chinese made hi-fi gear. Their price/performance ratio is off the charts, but you gotta be picky and choosy about what you get. The term even extends to some products in the $2000-$3000 range that compete with products 2-5x the price. I absolutely do not mean it in any disparaging way.

The Chinese and Koreans have been moving basically at light speed for the last couple of years in terms of hi-fi products. For example in the IEM market you can get stuff for sub 100 and even sub 50 bucks that absolutely competes with stuff hundreds of dollars more. Same with stuff all over the spectrum. It is caught the US and European makers basically asleep at the wheel as no one has really innovated in a lot of those markets in decades.

Really the only place where the chi-fi stuff hasn't really started to compete in the speaker market. The quality just isn't there yet but I could easily see this changing in a few years as well.

I am waiting for a newly designed compact cassette tape deck to come out of one or the other. There is the demand for it in the marketplace and if someone there can get something better than the junk one being still made they will no doubt sell a ton.