Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like all DIY things, you don't buy a guitar kit to save money. You build a guitar kit because you like the hobby of building guitars. If the end goal is acquiring a guitar and not having a lot of fun making the guitar, then don't do it.
over the holiday break I started building a guitar out of parts. It's basically a knockoff of the Fender/Squier Offset Telecasters (Telecaster pickups/controls/bridge in a Jazzmaster body shape), and in terms of dollars spent, I'm already past the point where I could've just bought one of the Squiers on sale and had a guitar with a lot higher quality of finish than what I afflicted upon this poor guitar body. but i like to tinker with things and I've enjoyed the process, so I'm fine with that.

Lungboy posted:

it would be my first go but i love woodwork and having a guitar i built myself is the goal. It would be naturally finished with french polishing.
sounds like you'd be doing it for the right reasons. go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Spanish Manlove posted:

Modern Baseball is dad music now

I can confirm. I知 a dad and I still listen to MB.

Lg, the riff and tone you posted are cool and good. Now go listen to some Stones.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I put my rod in the trussy and it was a bit disconcertingly stiff on the way out, but now my wood has a nice bend to it.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
crank those rods man it's not going to break if it breaks it's poo poo anyway

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah the truss rod is there for a reason-- to be turned/adjusted.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

The Fear posted:

crank those rods

:hmmyes:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Chiming in, I leave the truss rod covers off my guitars because I like to tweak them. I have 10 currently and I've never had a single issue.

That said, is there somewhere I can buy little tiny magnets to put in a screw hole(or even slightly reamed wider would be fine as long as it's not huge) so I can put my truss rod covers back on without having to unscrew them every single time? Is there velcro adhesive that's thin enough to not look like poo poo? Any ideas on that front?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...tQaArSZEALw_wcB

Dumb question, is something like this just magnetic as in a magnet will stick to it, or is the magnet part included as part of the foil? It looks like it might be thin enough to be able to stick my truss rod covers on and off.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 13, 2023

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Chiming in, I leave the truss rod covers off my guitars because I like to tweak them. I have 10 currently and I've never had a single issue.

That said, is there somewhere I can buy little tiny magnets to put in a screw hole(or even slightly reamed wider would be fine as long as it's not huge) so I can put my truss rod covers back on without having to unscrew them every single time? Is there velcro adhesive that's thin enough to not look like poo poo? Any ideas on that front?

Dumb question, is something like this just magnetic as in a magnet will stick to it, or is the magnet part included as part of the foil? It looks like it might be thin enough to be able to stick my truss rod covers on and off.

Those are magnets. Holding power is probably equal to any free refrigerator magnet you might get in junk mail. Just with adhesive on one side.

I know that people use tiny magnets to hold together plastic weapons/tanks in miniature wargames (40K especially), but I think that usually involves rare earth magnets and CA glue. That may be a much more serious and permanent solution than you want.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Depending on the guitar and your willingness to drill holes, you might consider Ibanez-style truss rod covers that swing open.

If you're dead set on magnets, you'd want tiny rare earth magnets used in modeling or Warhammer.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

speaking of the truss rod:

how long should i wait after making an adjustment to adjust it further or let it "set"?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't have a set time, I usually tweak it, play it a minute or two and check the relief, and readjust until it's about where I want it, then just check it later(just whenever I pick it up again to play, really) to see if any settling happened and readjust if needed. Most of the time, if there's any settling at all it's pretty minor but will vary guitar to guitar.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

landgrabber posted:

speaking of the truss rod:

how long should i wait after making an adjustment to adjust it further or let it "set"?

Common sentiment is "quarter turn and check" and then re-check after a day or two or the next time you feel like it

And for that matter, has anyone ever seen an instance of a truss rod breaking a neck? I've seen plenty of broken truss rods (and you can tell pretty easily when those don't want to give anymore) but I assume even if you had a long enough allen wrench that you could twist from extreme to extreme without stopping that the tension wouldn't hurt any wood that wasn't already gonna break

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of truss rod damage, i liked this video from stew mac fixing the truss rod on one of tomo fujita's guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ_TovKEPmI

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

On the topic of truss rod damage, i liked this video from stew mac fixing the truss rod on one of tomo fujita's guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ_TovKEPmI

Man, he makes it all look so easy you get to thinking "why am I not a master luthier" and then you stab yourself changing a string and remember

Love his poo poo though, he's like a guitar repair Bob Ross

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thread, I think the thrift store neck probably will go on that royal blue Squier body, even if I don't think it looks all that great. so I think the responses to my last post were that I appear to have a fit at least as far as the action is concerned. Is there a method or anything you might recommend for my next step? I think next I need to determine that the neck length is suitable and if so, drill the pilot holes for the screws. Any advice you can offer, please? Would any more photos help?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And for that matter, has anyone ever seen an instance of a truss rod breaking a neck? I've seen plenty of broken truss rods (and you can tell pretty easily when those don't want to give anymore) but I assume even if you had a long enough allen wrench that you could twist from extreme to extreme without stopping that the tension wouldn't hurt any wood that wasn't already gonna break

Depends on what you mean by break, but I have a neck here where the truss rod cracked the back of the neck on both sides of the channel. Release the pressure and it goes flat. Now it's more likely because the channel is too deep on a thin neck, but the flex of the truss rod definitely makes it move.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Thread, I think the thrift store neck probably will go on that royal blue Squier body, even if I don't think it looks all that great. so I think the responses to my last post were that I appear to have a fit at least as far as the action is concerned. Is there a method or anything you might recommend for my next step? I think next I need to determine that the neck length is suitable and if so, drill the pilot holes for the screws. Any advice you can offer, please? Would any more photos help?

i haven't done this stuff before, but here: https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-building-instruments-and-kits/bolt-on-necks/

it says to use a drill press if you can

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

time for my bi-annual instance of Actually Posting A Little Bit of Music

Just catching up on the thread but wanted to stop and say this rules!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, thanks! I am going to probably do this tomorrow or this weekend, I found a drill press at a flea market and haven't set it up yet, but will do this shortly.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

:)
Link isn't working for me. I gotta go do a strings section practice with my bassist but when I get back tonight I hope the link is fixed!

Yeah woops my bad! The link was broken on the second try, and I pulled the new link because I thought I should check with the rest of the band before it was semi public. This will be getting a proper release in the next few months so once again the link will only be active for a few days, but I'd love any feedback at all on my first attempt at writing a pop/skate punk song! This is still a very rough mix, in particular the vocal harmonies are way too loud and the solo is too quiet. But anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/swissdonkey/a-secret

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Can anyone recommend a good method: book, app, etc

For learning scales all the way up and down the neck? I have a really cool little book but it just teaches one position for each scale.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Quizzlefish posted:

Can anyone recommend a good method: book, app, etc

For learning scales all the way up and down the neck? I have a really cool little book but it just teaches one position for each scale.

https://fretastic.com/

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Here's some ridiculous poo poo I just picked up. Two 70s vertical 412 columns that were probably for PA but are now going to be a split 812...

Internal layout looks like so.

Dealer had robbed them of the vintage Fanes to sell separately, but he wanted twice as much for each set of four as I paid for the cabs, and we've got plenty of speakers that we can chuck in without worrying about damaging them.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Thanks. It's dope

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

This seems stupid, but when I have the $230ish dollars for it I知 doing it:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

This seems stupid, but when I have the $230ish dollars for it I知 doing it:

add a pushpull for coil split and one for phase while you're at it

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

add a pushpull for coil split and one for phase while you're at it

I may just get one PAF for the neck and keep the middle a single coil to keep it cheaper. Since I知 doing the wiring I知 going to do it in:

1) Just put the pickup(s) in. Play it for awhile.

2) 7 way switch. Play it for awhile.

3) After your suggestion get weird with it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love his poo poo though, he's like a guitar repair Bob Ross

Happy little string trees

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
How easy is it to electrify an acoustic instrument? Would it just be buying something like this? https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hbt.htm I just wanna have weird effects and distortion on my openback banjo. I'd ask in the banjo thread but it seems dead

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my teacher and I are getting into scales and chords and music stuff I'm excited to get some structure in my brains

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The Fear posted:

my teacher and I are getting into scales and chords and music stuff I'm excited to get some structure in my brains

don't hold your breath cause they love to make you study basic stuff when you want to study form/structure for years.

i was really excited to learn about musical form at the beginning of music school. we were almost getting to it... by the end of theory II as i had to drop out. still salty about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pie Colony posted:

How easy is it to electrify an acoustic instrument? Would it just be buying something like this? https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hbt.htm I just wanna have weird effects and distortion on my openback banjo. I'd ask in the banjo thread but it seems dead

It depends on the instrument and how you want to do it. I'm not sure what a piezo would sound like on a banjo, so much of the instrument's sound is dependent on the skin moving around. A piezo would probably be your best bet with a banjo, I'm not 100% sure where you'd stick it though without it causing disruptions. I thought they needed an extra power source but I guess not unless you want a pre-amp; I'm not sure what kind of level you'd get out of them without one.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Pie Colony posted:

I used to play my lovely acoustic in front of a instrument mic run into an amp an it worked fine if you like some really gnarly distortion.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Piezo talk: Just wanted to share I spent the day with my bassist. He wanted to install a pickup into the bridge of his upright bass and I sorta helped (I held it still while he filed at it). Interesting procedure and wow did it sound great through his Mark Bass gear. I was really impressed with it. So I brought the FM3 and the new Les Paul and we practiced for the little benefit we're playing for later this month and it was just a cool day. That is all. :)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

emo talk: i love jeff rosenstock and his guitar tones and i wanted to post this because i came across it because i want to write songs that sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0gxhsxxwQ

jeff is usually more punky- but this one's solidly emo and i adoooore it. he's a big inspiration to me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

put the 57/62 pickups in the vintera strat today, switched out the super switch for a normal switch and removed the s-1 volume knob in favor of original vintage wiring scheme. Sounds awesome! much fuller sound like the avii I had for a short bit. I think they're keepers. middle is not reverse wound but oh well, guess it's more authentic now

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Near gear day: Skreddy Lunar Module. Had this thing on order for almost 8 months. Marc was awesome to deal with and makes me want to buy more Skreddy pedals.

It's a silicon fuzz face but with a lot of versatility, you can make this thing sound really dark and noisy in a way that I don't really have anything to compare it to. With "normal" settings, it is the solo tone from Pink Floyd's Time (the stated goal of the pedal) . This might be my new favorite fuzz.

On a separate note for pedal chat... I've got a buddy who's really big into metal and he wants me to shred with him. He knows I'm not into the heaviest stuff, so he's suggesting things more in the 1980s-1990s thrash, or prog metal realm of things. I'm a distortion noob. What's a good, versatile distortion pedal for that type of stuff? I've got my eye on a Keeley Filaments since I've liked most of their pedals, or maybe a Revv G3?

edit: my amp is a Yamaha THR30ii

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 14, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

luchadornado posted:

On a separate note for pedal chat... I've got a buddy who's really big into metal and he wants me to shred with him. He knows I'm not into the heaviest stuff, so he's suggesting things more in the 1980s-1990s thrash, or prog metal realm of things. I'm a distortion noob. What's a good, versatile distortion pedal for that type of stuff? I've got my eye on a Keeley Filaments since I've liked most of their pedals, or maybe a Revv G3?

edit: my amp is a Yamaha THR30ii

I'd try out a Friedman BE-OD (Joyo Uzi is supposedly a clone if you want to do it for cheap) or an MXR 5150 OD for that purpose, but I've got a THR30 II also and I got a pretty good thrash sound out of it with just the built-in amps/cabs.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

intense fretbuzz around the 4th fret really loud on my A string, which sucks because i root a ton of chords there: :(

me not being able to find my fret action ruler: >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Southern Cassowary posted:

I'd try out a Friedman BE-OD (Joyo Uzi is supposedly a clone if you want to do it for cheap) or an MXR 5150 OD for that purpose, but I've got a THR30 II also and I got a pretty good thrash sound out of it with just the built-in amps/cabs.

I just listened to the following vid with headphones and my eyes closed... both of those suggestions are great! Had a gift card, so ended up snagging a BE-OD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7FOs_h_ZI