Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hey pocket buddy!

I like it better than every third party handheld I've used like the Anbernic and Retroid stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t stand for this Wario Land II slander

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You should try out the first 3 SaGa games on that and see how they look, and Rolan's Curse 1 & 2.

I found out recently that the only reason pokemon even exists is because some people saw what SaGa 1 was doing and realized "wow people can do a lot more on this hardware than we thought they could. Let's make an rpg."

Thanks SaGa

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Hey pocket buddy!

I like it better than every third party handheld I've used like the Anbernic and Retroid stuff

Yeah! From everything I read, the Pocket really goes the extra mile to fix every issue that other 3rd party handhelds have. As for Wario, I love the character a lot. His personality, how he looks, its just so cool and funny to me. He is really cool, and I love the gameplay of the Wario games. I really want a modern day Wario platformer that is like Mario Odyssey, but with action combat and destruction, because that is on brand for Wario.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really wish the openFPGA cores didn't default to that sickly green and let you use the pretty display features that the main OS does. It's supposed to be coming eventually but I'm dying over here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I really wish the openFPGA cores didn't default to that sickly green and let you use the pretty display features that the main OS does. It's supposed to be coming eventually but I'm dying over here.

Yeah progress on openFPGA has been surprisingly slow. This is mainly because it's all being developed under the table by Analogue, but it's one of those "if you heard this is true, no you didn't" thing. This weekend I want to figure out how to create my own game for Pocket, it's suppose to be pretty easy?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, that thing is $220???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Jesus, that thing is $220???

It's worth it because it's hardware emulation. So it's as close to accurate as you can get outside of the official hardware. The trade off is that the chips necessary are also in demand by like the entire tech industry. So making more Pockets is absurdly difficult due to the pandemic and an overwhelmingly huge backlog that only a handful of chip manufacturers are taking care of. But yeah, I wouldnt really recommend this unless you're really passionate about retro gaming and gaming preservation. The Pocket in my opinion is one of the most important devices out right now for video game preservation.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ngl I'd rather play this than Pokemon Go

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'd also be cool if Analogue would actually ship everything else I ordered that wasn't the Pocket itself as I've been without a dock/screen protector for like 4 months.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

It'd also be cool if Analogue would actually ship everything else I ordered that wasn't the Pocket itself as I've been without a dock/screen protector for like 4 months.

Yeah you're not getting that dock until like next year.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve been playing SotN on the Vita. Real gaming

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Can’t stand for this Wario Land II slander

it's very ambitious and full of cool ideas but it's also kinda bloated, some levels are real stinkers and the invincibility gimmick in turn encourages the game to waste your time a lot more. also those two treasure minigames get really old by the end

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

kinda bloated
real stinkers

That's just wario

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wario Land 4 is a perfect Video Game

rox
Sep 7, 2016

hatty posted:

Wario Land 4 is a perfect Video Game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am currently playing:

pokemon violet on switch
balan wonderworld on switch
resident evil 4 on ps4
elden ring on ps4
tonic trouble on wii u
metal gear rising on ps3

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

That's just wario

lmao

I don’t like 4 as much as the other Wario Land games but it’s still great. Man, I can’t wait for Pizza Tower.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

WAP:
three houses on Switch
roadwarden on PC
pathfinder: kingmaker on PC

to come:
pentiment on PC
triangle strat on Switch

PC+Switch combo never loses

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
last year i played the jp version of wario world because the final boss in the us version wasn't finished and i def recommend checking it out for anyone interested in wario world. the real final boss feels way more like a true Treasure boss battle and wario's voice is unchanged so you're still getting the most important part

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hatty posted:

Hey pocket buddy!

this thing looks really cool but for 200+ bucks does it let you play ROMs, this bottom disclaimer makes it sound like only carts can play and i dont wanna dig up my carts. is the no-ROM thing a legal disclaimer and u can just go flip a switch and load em up or do they really not want roms on it at all?

apparently super easy to get goin

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can play ROMs with openFPGA, the only caveat is that this locks a number of features the top-level OS uses (most prominently the display settings).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It can play ROMs, I wouldn’t buy one if it couldn’t I assure you. It’s kinda wink wink under the table though. They must fear the Nintendo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I skipped the GOTY thread this year because I was kinda burned out the last few days of 2022, so I want to take an opportunity to tell everyone how awesome Shadowman Remastered is, mainly because they dropped a major content patch for it that is pretty amazing.

The remaster release was already very very good, taking a game that controlled like the original Tomb Raider and modernizing it, with really well done HD textures, amazing lighting work, a buttery smooth framerate, and a bunch of environments and enemies that got cut from the original game; but the patch went even further. Updated level geometry to match original concept art, tweaking the lighting to be even more badass, another restored boss, and an ultra hard mode. It’s so good, Nightdive are goddamn wizards.

Beat the rush! Go out and buy Shadowman Remastered™ today!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

this thing looks really cool but for 200+ bucks does it let you play ROMs, this bottom disclaimer makes it sound like only carts can play and i dont wanna dig up my carts. is the no-ROM thing a legal disclaimer and u can just go flip a switch and load em up or do they really not want roms on it at all?

apparently super easy to get goin

Yeah it's just a disclaimer to protect Analogue's asses. Secretly it can play ROM files and this is the recommended method.

hatty posted:

It can play ROMs, I wouldn’t buy one if it couldn’t I assure you. It’s kinda wink wink under the table though. They must fear the Nintendo

Yeah, Mr. Nintendo will nail them to a wall and scatter their remains all over the world for everyone to see otherwise.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just got to delete your roms within 24 hours and the FBI can't do poo poo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kick back and enjoy this wario clip that i like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWD88E6Arv0

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is this canon

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Seeing Wario Land is always a trying emotional event for me, because it reminds me of that kid who borrowed all my Game Boy games and then moved to another country without giving them back.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

You can play ROMs with openFPGA, the only caveat is that this locks a number of features the top-level OS uses (most prominently the display settings).

If you convert the ROM into whatever format GB Studio uses, put it in the GB Studio folder on the SD card and load it through GB Studio in the Tools menu you can mess with the display settings like it was an actual cartridge. Kind of a pain as a workaround but it does the trick for now.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Dewgy posted:

I skipped the GOTY thread this year because I was kinda burned out the last few days of 2022, so I want to take an opportunity to tell everyone how awesome Shadowman Remastered is, mainly because they dropped a major content patch for it that is pretty amazing.

The remaster release was already very very good, taking a game that controlled like the original Tomb Raider and modernizing it, with really well done HD textures, amazing lighting work, a buttery smooth framerate, and a bunch of environments and enemies that got cut from the original game; but the patch went even further. Updated level geometry to match original concept art, tweaking the lighting to be even more badass, another restored boss, and an ultra hard mode. It’s so good, Nightdive are goddamn wizards.

Beat the rush! Go out and buy Shadowman Remastered™ today!

i remember reading about this in Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine when i was a kid. i wasn't aware it was released, maybe i'll finally check it out

edit: i'm not sure why, but it looks like i already have this on steam. guess i have no reason not to check it out now

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

kick back and enjoy this wario clip that i like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWD88E6Arv0

Throwback to when Charles Martinet got away with just using German for the Wario losing line and they kept it because "so ein misst" (what a poo poo) is close enough to "dou ai missu" (do'oh I missed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcU8Yrqlqk

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Jay Rust posted:

WAP:
three houses on Switch
roadwarden on PC
pathfinder: kingmaker on PC

to come:
pentiment on PC
triangle strat on Switch

PC+Switch combo never loses

How are you liking Roadwarden? I've been eyeballing it since I heard about it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ubisoft have a gameplay thing up for Skull & Bones.

Great fuckin' UI, Ubisoft.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

pretend i still had that french battleborne UI screenshot on my PC and i just posted it here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heran Bago posted:

Throwback to when Charles Martinet got away with just using German for the Wario losing line and they kept it because "so ein misst" (what a poo poo) is close enough to "dou ai missu" (do'oh I missed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcU8Yrqlqk

This was actually a different guy. I don't think they settled on having Martinet voice Wario until after that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mode 7 posted:

I think I got gaming cancer watching that thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Notably, Ubi has somehow NOT cancelled Beyond Good and Evil 2. They cancelled all of the other games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

10 years to make a worse Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and I'll still probably buy it because I'm brokebrained about pirate games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pirate the pirate game