Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Warbird posted:

Looks like that may be due to Carrot pulling from a different weather source? Mine defaulted to Dark Sky’s and I presume Apple does the same as they own them.

Carrot still pulls from Dark Sky by default but will probably change soon as the API shuts down in March I believe. The dev is currently waiting to hear from Apple on if their API will support over 40 mil (I think. Not looking it up right now) users as that's all they quoted for.

You would think by common sense that Dark Sky and Apple Weather would now show the same data but they don't. Switching between them inside Carrot Weather confirms this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Carrot can be switched to other sources, though, and even personal/local stations. Dark Sky never worked well for me, so I use Carrot set to AccuWeather and the station at the elementary school three blocks from my house.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the apple watch complication that shows weather high/low and sunset/sunrise via darksky still seems to be working.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Going to miss the Dark Sky complication. Annoyed they shut down the service.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't know where Carrot gets its data, but if it's Dark Sky, it's not what Apple is using or supplies. I'm monitoring a ski area on the stock weather app, and Carrot reports like 8°C higher temperatures.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Wanted to share my favorite app of the last few months: Sweepy

Sweepy is a chore list that serves you your daily tasks to multiple users. My wife and I aren’t the best at deep cleaning the house, so we turned to this app to help us deal out the chores. It has a bunch of template chore items, so it helped spark some ideas of what needed to be added. After about a day of setting up rooms and chores, we are moving smoothly. This weekend my wife commented about how helpful it was for her, and she felt like it was worth the money. Highly recommend!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the best iOS piano app? More specifically, looking for an app that's just a keyboard and emulates a grand piano sound.

I got Reason Compact yesterday and it's pretty cool for basic on the go synth experimentation and similar to what I'd be looking for, but it has no piano sounds, or at least not free ones from what I could find. I'd be willing to pay for a good piano app provided it's not too expensive.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Rageaholic posted:

What's the best iOS piano app? More specifically, looking for an app that's just a keyboard and emulates a grand piano sound.

I got Reason Compact yesterday and it's pretty cool for basic on the go synth experimentation and similar to what I'd be looking for, but it has no piano sounds, or at least not free ones from what I could find. I'd be willing to pay for a good piano app provided it's not too expensive.

I’d take a look at Pure Piano and Pure Upright. They’re great for emulating the real thing but you can morph the sound too with an x/y pad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did you try Gargeband?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did you try Gargeband?
lmao, poo poo, for whatever reason it didn't even occur to me that I could use GarageBand :doh:

I'll try that first since it's included for iOS devices, and if that doesn't work then I'll try this out:

j.peeba posted:

I’d take a look at Pure Piano and Pure Upright. They’re great for emulating the real thing but you can morph the sound too with an x/y pad.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

iOS piano app

grand piano auv3 2 by Pablo Lopez is free at the moment

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know of a pics app with widget support that doesn't suck hot garbage like Apple Photos at rotating through a selection of images?

Edit: Photowidget : simple - close to what i want, but doesn't support the largest rectangle with a single image, it does two inside it instead :-/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 10, 2023

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know of a pics app with widget support that doesn't suck hot garbage like Apple Photos at rotating through a selection of images?

I use the free version of Widgetsmith. It has a ton of widget options but I think they all look like garbage but the photo widget is drop dead simple: pick a Photos album or pick images from Files.app and it displays them in either a small, medium, or large widget. It cycles through them on a nice interval and you can tap on the the widget to view the history of photos displayed.

Violator fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 10, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, I'm looking for a 4x2 widget like Apple Photos has too.

How often does Widgetsmith rotate, and is it random or linear? I don't see an option to configure it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 10, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I pay I think $1 or $2/month for 100GB of OneDrive storage and Microsoft just sent me an email saying that on 1/30, my plan is now going to include ad-free email with Outlook for no additional cost, so it looks like I'm switching back email apps from Spark to Outlook :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would use outlook but I use it for work and want to keep it as separate as possible!

I just wish icloud mail had better auto filtering :sigh:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just posting about a couple extensions that I find really helpful

https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/

Search Ban - https://searchban.com

quote:

Search Ban is an iOS Safari web extension that removes spam and low value search results from search results. iPadOS, MacOS, and image search support coming soon.

It comes with some built in filters and you can add more manually or by clicking the ban hammer:

I also like mapper, which redirects google maps links to Apple Maps: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mapper-for-safari/id1589391989

Vinegar is a popular extension for better YouTube but in case you don’t know:

quote:

Vinegar also replaces the YouTube player (written in who-knows-what) with a minimal HTML <video> tag.

Vinegar is commonly used as a household Tube cleaner.
The benefits include:
The removal of in-video ads.
Prevent YouTube from tracking your play/pause/seek activities.
Restore picture-in-picture functionality.
The videos don’t stop playing if you switch to another browser tab.
You can choose the audio-only stream to keep the music playing when Safari is in the background.

Post extensions you like :)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Post extensions you like :)

Noir is great for auto-creating dark mode colour schemes for websites. It very occasionally gets things wrong but on the whole does a great job. And really highlights the missing functionality that extensions don’t work in the in-app Safari views - I get so used to being able to read pages at night in bed, and then forget I’m in-app and half blind myself with a (default) white scheme.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sponsorblock for skipping commercials on YouTube within Safari.

HyperWeb provides all sorts of benefits, including CamelCamelCamel + TrustReviews on Amazon, as well as prioritizing specific search result pages, and adblocking.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2023

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Did Elon finally kill off the third-party API? That’ll be the end of Twitter for me if that’s the case. I haven’t used Twitter with anything other than Tweetbot in years.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Referee posted:

Did Elon finally kill off the third-party API? That’ll be the end of Twitter for me if that’s the case. I haven’t used Twitter with anything other than Tweetbot in years.

Unclear: most apps are down, some seem to be up, but Tweetbot is down right now among others so who knows

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Not surprised if he really just did that with no warning. But also could just be a bug.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Referee posted:

I hope not. I use Twitter for work and Tweetbot is the only thing that makes it bearable.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s killed it though. Cheap oval office won’t even pay rent, he must have resented a third party app getting subscription money.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Referee posted:

I’m not sure any of the early adopter users have used anything but an iPhone app for Twitter in a decade +. I’m the same, always use 3rd party iPhone apps and have never seen an ad.

Coq au Nandos posted:

he must have resented a third party app getting subscription money.

Can’t believe even Elon is that overzealous. To be realistic though it is/has been a bizarre situation (for maybe a decade?) to have a huge proportion of your most loyal and valuable customers using someone else’s app, via a deliberately degraded API, and with no way to even display ads to them.

That, plus arbitrarily limiting the number of API users per app, and without any route for apps to pay for more/better access means they’ve just been throwing money away for such a long time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been using Tweetbot for almost a decade and count me in as another who will ditch Twitter for good if I can't use Tweetbot anymore. Trying to go through tweets in the default app is an exercise in frustration.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm surprised it took Twitter this long to completely sunset third party app APIs - they probably hate that a huge subset of their users never sees sponsored or promoted tweets. It feels like most websites want a stranglehold on their "experience", which means they want to force users to download their app and not be able to bypass ads.

If Reddit ever sunsets their third party app API, I'd be devastated.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

If Reddit ever sunsets their third party app API, I'd be devastated.

Same, and with the old Reddit design too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i really feel for the people who work on these third-party twitter apps and have spent this morning waiting to find out whether their job can exist anymore

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I can tell there's no pattern to which apps got suspended or are still working so it feels to me like something in their infrastructure expired and whoever maintained that piece was fired in November.

Or maybe Elon sorted the list of API users by queries made and killed off the top 20%. Who the gently caress knows with that clown.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

From what I can tell there's no pattern to which apps got suspended or are still working so it feels to me like something in their infrastructure expired and whoever maintained that piece was fired in November.

Or maybe Elon sorted the list of API users by queries made and killed off the top 20%. Who the gently caress knows with that clown.

The only “pattern” I’ve seen is the ones with a lot of users got nuked, the lesser known ones didn’t which doesn’t bode well.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Corb3t posted:

I'm surprised it took Twitter this long to completely sunset third party app APIs - they probably hate that a huge subset of their users never sees sponsored or promoted tweets. It feels like most websites want a stranglehold on their "experience", which means they want to force users to download their app and not be able to bypass ads.

But it’s entirely *their* choice that the API doesn’t include ads, promoted tweets and numerous other features.

They control the API licenses, they can enforce displaying these things.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Buff Hardback posted:

The only “pattern” I’ve seen is the ones with a lot of users got nuked, the lesser known ones didn’t which doesn’t bode well.

They just forgot? Did the apps aimed at marketing / PR types with features for timed release, multi-accounts, tons of alert rules get blocked too?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Weedle posted:

i really feel for the people who work on these third-party twitter apps and have spent this morning waiting to find out whether their job can exist anymore

They've already all moved on to Mastodon anyway. Their API is already way better than Twitter ever was, and it's open source.

I'm in 7 Mastodon TestFlights. It's really thriving.

Ivory (by the Tweetbot guys) is predictably one of the best.

wooger posted:

But it’s entirely *their* choice that the API doesn’t include ads, promoted tweets and numerous other features.

They control the API licenses, they can enforce displaying these things.

Exactly. It's baffling. Also, their embedded Tweets have always been a POS, as evidenced by the tech thread on these here forums being 90% about Twitter embeds.

I had to implement them in an iOS app a few years ago, and they were dogshit to work with then too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

101 posted:

They've already all moved on to Mastodon anyway. Their API is already way better than Twitter ever was, and it's open source.

I'm in 7 Mastodon TestFlights. It's really thriving.

does mastodon have search?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m working on an automation to help post articles more easily. I’m using this code with the Transform tool from the actions from the actions app

with this code: https://pastebin.com/y3p0PLXp

(Adapted from http://skeena.net/htmltobb/)

still needs some work but suits my needs. anyone have a better one? I mean I could go through the code but I hate JavaScript so much.

e: also don’t post JavaScript code on the forums otherwise you get blocked by cloudflare. Jeffrey :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mawarannahr posted:

does mastodon have search?

The search is a bit weird and limited. Hopefully they change their mind.

"Mastodon’s full-text search allows logged in users to find results from their own statuses, their mentions, their favourites, and their bookmarks. It deliberately does not allow searching for arbitrary strings in the entire database."

There's movetodon for finding people from Twitter, if that's why you want search though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wooger posted:

Can’t believe even Elon is that overzealous.

Lmao

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

wooger posted:

They just forgot? Did the apps aimed at marketing / PR types with features for timed release, multi-accounts, tons of alert rules get blocked too?

They did not, but I’m not sure they use the same API.

Christ, imagine if he killed those too though. Professional shitposters would riot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As per goon suggestion, I used SongShift free version to transfer all the thumbs-upped songs from one of my Pandora stations into an Apple Music playlist.

I have the shift set up and it worked great the first time. Now, a few days later after I've thumbs-upped a few more songs, I wanted to update the AM playlist. I ran the shift again, and quickly, within a couple seconds it says it's complete, but the song counts didn't update, nor did the Apple Music playlist. Is this like a limitation of the free version where you can only do a shift once? I've made a new shift with the same parameters, deleted the AM playlist, and it runs and catches the updated song list just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

101 posted:

The search is a bit weird and limited. Hopefully they change their mind.

"Mastodon’s full-text search allows logged in users to find results from their own statuses, their mentions, their favourites, and their bookmarks. It deliberately does not allow searching for arbitrary strings in the entire database."

There's movetodon for finding people from Twitter, if that's why you want search though

I mean it boils down to there is no way to "search" Mastodon.

Your server is only aware of things that federate to it, so if I search for "taylor swift" on my server, I'm not necessarily going to see the same results as the Taylor Swift Mastodon server does. (also because that would require checking with every single other server)