Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't realize people didn't always take Angela's side. For gently caress's sake, Dwight put her LIVE PET in a freezer for it to slowly suffocate & freeze to death -- frankly, I'm shocked she ever even became FWBs with him again.

I think I would have changed jobs if I was in her position, that was a really hosed up thing Dwight did to her. She trusted him to take care of her sick cat and he just immediately killed it, I wouldn't want to see a person like that sitting across from me everyday at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I believe the response should be "Ah, geez"

I mean she's not wrong in that case? I haven't seen every episode of The Office but I've seen probably about a season or two all added up and the characters would not be okay through a 2023 lens. Half the episodes would have Twitter all racing to post how [x] character doing something is Not Okay.

The office is literally the safest most milquetoast sitcom in a long time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"You couldn't make that today!" is the most tired kind of end-of-history complaining done by people who want to languish in past glories and poo poo over the new culture that they feel has made them feel outdated.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

They're both Newgrounds alumni and that's something you either grow out of or you don't.

Yeah pretty much, neither grew out of the humor but one learned how to turn it into something for a bigger audience. I’d say he is to newgrounds what vizipop is to YouTube/devientart.

grate deceiver posted:

Zach Hadel is the purest being in this dark world and has never done a wrong.

Yeah basically this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If they made it today they would get sued for copyright infringement on The Office OP, hth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Arc Hammer posted:

"You couldn't make that today!" is the most tired kind of end-of-history complaining done by people who want to languish in past glories and poo poo over the new culture that they feel has made them feel outdated.

Personally I take it that "The Office wasn't good and Parks and Recreation was better, The Office was consistently mediocre and its appeal lasts in nostalgia" as a reason it wouldn't be made today.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
About the only point that'd be fair is that people would have had a way bigger problem with Michael's racist bit toward Kelly in Diversity Day. You might not be able to walk that back and have him turn into later season Michael without a lot of inbetween stuff. But apparently they walked back Dwight murdering a cat, so lol. I had completely forgotten that bit.

It's also not a particularly interesting observation since first season Michael was a straight Ricky Gervais office rip and he was more traditionally unlikeable rather than the loser type he turned into. The Office's first season being really different isn't much of an observation. People were pointing it out by the end of the second season.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

In the shows defense that poster was made by the dumbass popular kids and is probably supposed to showcase how bad they are at empathy.

Not to excuse all the other weird/bad decisions the show makes but I’m seeing this shot held up a lot as proof that the writers are chuds and I’m not sure that’s fair. Especially because the vibe I get from the show is more weird boomer 2nd wave feminism rather than outright conservativism. Need more episodes before I can make that call with any confidence though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That line is obviously ironic.

Like, what's the argument against the line here: the show believes that sexually active women should prove themselves to not be deserving of death?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you'd be surprised at how many seemingly progressive people are swerfs & slut-shamers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

readingatwork posted:

In the shows defense that poster was made by the dumbass popular kids and is probably supposed to showcase how bad they are at empathy.

Not to excuse all the other weird/bad decisions the show makes but I’m seeing this shot held up a lot as proof that the writers are chuds and I’m not sure that’s fair. Especially because the vibe I get from the show is more weird boomer 2nd wave feminism rather than outright conservativism. Need more episodes before I can make that call with any confidence though.
Hmmmmm

I Am Fowl posted:

Jesus, this is no good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

you'd be surprised at how many seemingly progressive people are swerfs & slut-shamers

This right here!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I wouldn't tbh, but my argument is that the line is ironic and your point doesn't really nail down what the argument against the line actually is.

Some people slut shame, sure. But how is that line an example of the show slut shaming when it's coming out the mouth of someone we're not meant to like, who's not meant to be smart, who we're not meant to agree with? How is the line harmful, rather than just a comedic depiction of a harmful person?

Or, to put it another way, how in this case does depiction == endorsement?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I asked this in another thread- Are we supposed to agree with Velma? Is this an Always Sunny "anything these people do is obviously wrong" sort of thing? I can't tell.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I am honestly not sure, but whatever this is I don't like it.

Fred basically being Dennis (I mean yeah he voices him :v) just does not fit. Norville is boring as poo poo and Velma's just an rear end in a top hat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Mystery Inc wasn't cancelled. It ran 52 episodes completing its entire intended story arc, including Velma's love interest as far as american television animation before Obergefell could possibly hope to.

Guess what I read in an interview was hopes for a season 3.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

I asked this in another thread- Are we supposed to agree with Velma? Is this an Always Sunny "anything these people do is obviously wrong" sort of thing? I can't tell.

I got the vibe that it was "a thing happened" humor rather than an outright condemnation of Me Too but ~OOF~ either way..

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That line is obviously ironic.

Like, what's the argument against the line here: the show believes that sexually active women should prove themselves to not be deserving of death?

I think it might be referencing slasher movies where more promiscuous characters are normally killed earlier. The reasons the genre works like that are best not dwelled on.

Still feels like a gross joke.

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, I think it's possible that's the intent, although if you can't really tell, that's another kind of creative failure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Velma the character or Velma the show?

The first thing Velma the character does in this show is smack someone over the head with a hockey stick, so I think we're at the very least meant to see her as flawed.

If you're talking about the "slut" line, that's not spoken by Velma.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Gimmie tha Doo or the show is poo.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Das Boo posted:

Mindy Kaling usually aims for a sort of Larry David-y "she's a jerk but we all think it" approach. Brash and grating but ultimately someone you still want to pull for because their biggest crime is just being unable to control the impulses we all feel, and there's something identifiable in that.

Velma doesn't even remotely hit that, but it's the target.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Velma the character or Velma the show?

The first thing Velma the character does in this show is smack someone over the head with a hockey stick, so I think we're at the very least meant to see her as flawed.

If you're talking about the "slut" line, that's not spoken by Velma.

Velma the character. For lack of a better comparison, I'm wondering if she's supposed to be a House character where she's an rear end in a top hat, but she's the correct and smart rear end in a top hat so it's meant to be justified.

e:

sethsez posted:

Mindy Kaling usually aims for a sort of Larry David-y "she's a jerk but we all think it" approach. Brash and grating but ultimately someone you still want to pull for because their biggest crime is just being unable to control the impulses we all feel, and there's something identifiable in that.

Velma doesn't even remotely hit that, but it's the target.

Okay, yeah, this. If that's the intent it's not really for me.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

(dystopia) reboot of The Jetsons

"To kick off our all-hands meeting, I'd like to announce that we're expanding our benefits package. Everyone now gets unlimited paid time off, and free bone tests are now part of the Spacely Senior Living retirement package"
"Sir, I think there's something wrong with today's batch of sprockets"
"You didn't find out that they're made from the bones of people, did you?"
"what? no! well...yes...but it's not that. I think they must've had osteoporosis."

"Jane, get me off this crazy thing!" as he's scrolling a touch-monitor, so she pushes him onto a treadmill, and after he gets flattened underneath it, he says "much better"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 13, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

honestly I don't think Harmon has any monsters in his closet. He might be a jerk but as far as I've known he's been pretty open about being the reason his marriage fell apart

He constantly sexually harassed, belittled, and bullied Megan Ganz during her time on Community, because he had a crush on her. He did give probably the best MeToo-era apology I’ve seen, but it still happened

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Roiland had those texts with the underage girl, too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Uuuuuurk I’m really not looking forward to the inevitable Jetsons remake.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Okay I’ve been pretty down on Harley Quinn S3 but “The Killing Vote” might be a perfect episode of this show. Their Joker is so, so good.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm intending to dedicate an hour or so to the new Velma show. Learning that streaming services value 'follow through' as the most important metric, and knowing that most people are dropping the show after a couple eps, I might as well watch what I can now before it's rocketed off into the Tubi ether. But please understand, my expectations are very low.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seth MacFarlane was threatening for a long time to do a remake of Flintstones as part of his quest to be part of old fashioned show business, but I think that fell through and he gave up.

Jetsons I think has always had some weird astroturfing around it to make people think it was more popular than it ever was. It didn't start out on prime time like Flintstones, and the bulk of it was made in the 80s instead of the 60s.

A while back there was a whole thing where DC comics was putting out adult-ified grim and gritty versions of old Hannah Barbera properties, and the Flintstones one was fairly popular, but the rest didn't make an impression like apocalypse Scooby Doo, death Wacky Races, and serious sci-fi Jetsons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

A while back there was a whole thing where DC comics was putting out adult-ified grim and gritty versions of old Hannah Barbera properties, and the Flintstones one was fairly popular, but the rest didn't make an impression like apocalypse Scooby Doo, death Wacky Races, and serious sci-fi Jetsons.

The other one I remember was behind the scenes Broadway drama(?) Snagglepuss.

The Scooby one veered wildly between 'kind of amusing, considering' and just dire. Some folks really dug it for Action!Daphne.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Scooby Apocalypse (yes that was the name) at least went in with its whole rear end. The writers really did go "okay our premise is old gods, wonder teens, and a talking dog: how do we square this circle" and it didn't bat 1.000, but it did hit way more often than it missed imo by trying things nobody else had gone with. And probably won't again!

None of those things were constantly berating you for reading it.

(also that Snagglepuss was another standout just because gently caress it, yeah, go all in on Gay Snagglepuss under McCarthy)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I saw a live performance of the Snagglepuss Chronicles at Provincetown, was a great show. Both Flintstones and Snagglepuss have made me a lifelong fan of Mark Russell.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah that Flintstones comic was astonishingly good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, the Snagglepuss series and the Flintstones ones have the same writer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flintstones gave us the brilliant line "But when the scam is so big that people have to choice but to participate, it's called 'economics.'"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Uuuuuurk I’m really not looking forward to the inevitable Jetsons remake.

dont worry, WB or whatever will die before that happenes,

also i was reminded of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQfEO8-c8c

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dont worry, WB or whatever will die before that happenes,

also i was reminded of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQfEO8-c8c

That reminds me of one time I heard Seth MacFarlane talking about being in a meeting and whichever of Barbera or Hanna who were still actively involved in the company at the time and the old guy suddenly exclaims, "You what we need? A character like that guy on TV! Steinburg!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me of one time I heard Seth MacFarlane talking about being in a meeting and whichever of Barbera or Hanna who were still actively involved in the company at the time and the old guy suddenly exclaims, "You what we need? A character like that guy on TV! Steinburg!"

i mean i love hanna barbera but holy gently caress did they just make a billion carbon copy tv shows. like they got scooby and then they made like copies of the show with basicaly the same teens and like a monstrosoties/animal/ghost that is basicaly a parody of golden age holiwood/theater star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6oNWVRfO8

https://twitter.com/FutureContact_/status/1613266645128196096

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Uuugh that "found family" catchphrase almost makes me want to like the Velma show out of spite.

Almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i love hanna barbera but holy gently caress did they just make a billion carbon copy tv shows. like they got scooby and then they made like copies of the show with basicaly the same teens and like a monstrosoties/animal/ghost that is basicaly a parody of golden age holiwood/theater star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6oNWVRfO8

https://twitter.com/FutureContact_/status/1613266645128196096

I've been trying to avoid the Velma show but I'm literally having it shoved in my face on every platform and everything I see makes it worse by the minute. How is it possible to make something this universally loathed across the political spectrum?