Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed on my laptop that whenever I press a key, the touchpad is disabled for a second. Is this another Win11 feature or a driver issue? I've never notice this happen before on other computers.

Buff Hardback posted:

Press control+alt+shift+win and be prompted to install the office 365 app it’s super cool and neat
Lol. But also why would anyone ever press that combination in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That sounds so much more convenient than hitting the windows key and typing W O R and enter to me 🙄

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

I noticed on my laptop that whenever I press a key, the touchpad is disabled for a second. Is this another Win11 feature or a driver issue? I've never notice this happen before on other computers.

Windows Precision Touchpads have settings in the windows settings app. If you've only used laptops with synaptics touchpads before this might be new to you? Touchpad sensitivity adds a delay for taps specifically, set to more sensitive for less delay.

Or it could be something specific to the laptop itself if it's fully disabling the touchpad.

mobby_6kl posted:

Eh, I have 3-modifier-key custom shortcuts on my system, someone out there probably does 4.

Why not just make your special new key send something unique with will be a) undefined and do nothing on other software and b) not a dumbass thing that can be triggered via pressing other keys? That's exactly what MS did in the PS/2 days when they grabbed e0 5b, e0 5c, and e0 5d to be the then-new lwin rwin and apps keys. Everyone liked those, they stuck around and became standards.

It'd be even easier now. PS/2 had 512 scancodes afaik, the USB HID spec has a billion possible keys and inputs, including code pages for not-necessarily-a-keyboard devices. That's what the screen brightness keys on a laptop use these days (and how the OS shows a OSD for screen brightness going up and down). Grab something from there.

If the Office team wants a special button, and they can get the OS team to add direct support to the OS, and the hardware team to make keyboards with said button, make it a real key instead of a dumb combo of keys that already have uses.

edit: 0x0c,1a2 "Application Launch Select Application" would be a good pick in the USB HID spec

lmao 0x0c,63 is literally the TV/VCR button :corsair:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I use that key combo as an additional modifier key (rebound capslock to it) which does a few things - modifier+A sets a window to always on top, modifier+V does a text-only no formatting paste, etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rinkles posted:

Cool feature that I think wasn't in 10, you can adjust volume by scrolling when hovering over the system tray volume icon.

didn't know about this so thanks. i like it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Windows security is telling me that "Memory Integrity cannot be turned on" because of some driver issues. Is that something I should try to address, or is it not very important/something MS will likely fix themselves down the line?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Windows security is telling me that "Memory Integrity cannot be turned on" because of some driver issues. Is that something I should try to address, or is it not very important/something MS will likely fix themselves down the line?

It usually also says what driver is causing the issue. Google it and see if it’s software you are actually using or if there is an update that might be compatible?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sometimes removing the driver, enabling core integrity and then reinstalling said driver will be just fine. Mihiyo's anti cheat driver was that way

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I had that happen until I got the most recent Windows 11 feature update, then it let me turn it on again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I’d try to turn it on. I spent a day unregistering 15 year old .sys drivers and uninstalling old programs with various tools to get it working. My os is an old upgraded vista installation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Windows Precision Touchpads have settings in the windows settings app. If you've only used laptops with synaptics touchpads before this might be new to you? Touchpad sensitivity adds a delay for taps specifically, set to more sensitive for less delay.

Or it could be something specific to the laptop itself if it's fully disabling the touchpad.
Either Synaptics before or trackpoint :smug:

I'll check the settings again, thanks. It's not just taps, it seems to disable movement too, so if I need to adjust the pointer a little, it takes several attempts to get it to move.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

mobby_6kl posted:

that definitely does not happen on my Lenovo

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ihmemies posted:

I’d try to turn it on. I spent a day unregistering 15 year old .sys drivers and uninstalling old programs with various tools to get it working. My os is an old upgraded vista installation.

Jesus Christ son, please format your computer. Windows Vista came out 16 years ago. God knows what random poo poo has survived the upgrades.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus Christ son, please format your computer. Windows Vista came out 16 years ago. God knows what random poo poo has survived the upgrades.

A ton of old drivers at least. Pc seems to work, too much effort to do a clean install now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've been doing feature updates from Windows 10 and onwards it's pretty much a clean install anyway, it just re-links your apps etc. once the update has completed. There's probably a lot less poo poo left behind on there than you might expect.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

If you've been doing feature updates from Windows 10 and onwards it's pretty much a clean install anyway, it just re-links your apps etc. once the update has completed. There's probably a lot less poo poo left behind on there than you might expect.

Somewhere, deep inside some archived Windows.Old.Old folder, hidden beneath layers of randomly-generated folder names, as a hidden system file, resides Clippy, always watching, waiting.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like when Clippy is watching.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ready to re-emerge, powered by ChatGPT

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 13, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A buddy has a truly ancient PC that was running windows 10, not sure which version. He built a new PC this Christmas, but would like to migrate the OS if possible, and then once migrated, upgrade to 11.

Old one was using legacy boot or whatever, new one will, of course, use uefi. It looks like maybe there are some MS-provided tools to aid in such a migration, but is this likely to be an exercise in pain?

Also, is the 10->11 upgrade still free? Does it depend on which specific flavor of 10 he’s running? We’re there even a bunch of flavors of 10? I don’t recall.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Absolutely not worth it, talk him out of it. Unless he has some kind of truly bespoke set up of arcane software that is extremely difficult to set up again, its just not worth it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, if it's an old system then take the opportunity to start from scratch, it's a small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Are they reusing any drives? If so then put games and personal files on there for ease of transfer and just reinstall any programs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m sure some small part of it includes a desire to not re-buy windows, what’s the best option there? Like even if he did a fresh install of 10, can he re-use the old key?

And yeah, he’s migrating a couple drives, so transferring data shouldn’t be an issue, he just tends to go down these rabbit holes. Personally, I’m the “new build new me” sort, but if he wants to consider other options I don’t want to just poo poo on it because of my own predispositions.

Anyhow, I’ll forward your positions, thanks, and I’ll also offer to help with a simpler migration. I suspect that just backing up his home directory would suffice to allow wiping the OS host drive, everything else can come from steam or similar and he’s on a gig line so how bad could it be.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Munki posted:

I’m sure some small part of it includes a desire to not re-buy windows, what’s the best option there? Like even if he did a fresh install of 10, can he re-use the old key?

install 11 directly using the old key, 11 will install with 7 8 or 10 keys.

alternately, buy a $15 key from SA mart

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Klyith posted:

install 11 directly using the old key, 11 will install with 7 8 or 10 keys.

alternately, buy a $15 key from SA mart

Perfect, thanks. Couldn’t remember what that all looked like, it’s been a minute.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Criss-cross posted:

I like when Clippy is watching.

Give me that XP search dog holdover from Microsoft Bob. Or any literal wizard inside my computer.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Did anyone experience the defender deleting all start menu shortcuts bug today?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone help me out with remote desktop? I have a HT/work PC that I wanna be able to remote into to from my main desktop. Its enabled on it, the same MS account logged in on both but when I try to connect it tells me my password is wrong. It seems to be asking for my MS account creds, but it wont take. All on the same network. Not sure what I'm missing here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does this work

https://cmdrkeene.com/remote-desktop-with-microsoft-account-sign-in/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

codo27 posted:

Can someone help me out with remote desktop? I have a HT/work PC that I wanna be able to remote into to from my main desktop. Its enabled on it, the same MS account logged in on both but when I try to connect it tells me my password is wrong. It seems to be asking for my MS account creds, but it wont take. All on the same network. Not sure what I'm missing here.

Quick Assist is much more reliable for me, have you tried that?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm sure this is the most annoying question ever in this thread, but is Windows 11 worth the upgrade from 10 yet? This is my daily driver computer, so I was holding off until 11 was fully stable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Peachfart posted:

I'm sure this is the most annoying question ever in this thread, but is Windows 11 worth the upgrade from 10 yet? This is my daily driver computer, so I was holding off until 11 was fully stable.

It's been fully stable for at least a year. There may be things about it that bother you but it works just fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peachfart posted:

It's really up to you - I don't think of Windows 11 as an "upgrade," really, outside a few very specific things which only matter on certain computers and setups. For instance, I have the impression it handles HDR better, but that means you need a monitor with decent HDR, which are still pretty rare. Windows 10 is supported through 2025 so it's not like it has a looming EOL date.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have my LG C2 always on HDR mode and it works fine. Taskbar buttons in the center are nice with 42" screen. Corners and edges are so far away. I like rounded corners. Dark mode is better than in 10 I think. Overall a quite solid upgrade over 10 with many good changes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve had some explorer stability issues, but one of those turned out to be an old Adobe dll wrecking havoc (explorer would reboot itself every time I opened a new folder window, and would crash in some directories) so I don’t know if 11 deserves any of the blame (but I didn’t have this issue with 10).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Windows 10 popup Media Controls were sometimes annoying, but I would have preferred improvements over getting rid of them. It was useful for quickly checking what was playing, especially when you were in game, and occasionally I'd use the buttons.

There's a similar player now accessible in the Volume tray icon, but that requires an extra click and won't be available in full screen apps.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Windows 10 popup Media Controls were sometimes annoying, but I would have preferred improvements over getting rid of them. It was useful for quickly checking what was playing, especially when you were in game, and occasionally I'd use the buttons.

There's a similar player now accessible in the Volume tray icon, but that requires an extra click and won't be available in full screen apps.

this seems like a decent replacement

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/modernflyouts-preview/9MT60QV066RP?hl=en

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Windows still finding ways to gently caress up icons :allears:

(Chrome)

If I had to guess, it might be related to running a game in 4K on a 1080p display. On that note, it seems 11 might be better at handling resolution changes. Alt-tabbing between the 4k game (DX11 fullscreen) and 1080p desktop is pretty smooth.

e:
Media Player has some weird rear end, inconvenient shortcuts

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Windows 11 is stable and pretty but the worst part is and will forever be all the weird legacy stuff Microsoft seems to not have the balls/care to ditch. Some settings are still laid across various types of control panels dating back to like I dunno Win 7 days? If you are going to release a new major OS version, make it a new major OS version, users be damned. That said in the grand scheme of things this is a minor complaint and the OS is good when it is working properly (tip: clean installs are King).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I spent a while yesterday trying to figure out why there was essentially 140GB of used space on my system drive that windows explorer and WinDirStat couldn't see. This is probably a well-known issue by many of you, but it turns out that some games installed via the Xbox app will have a second shadow install in a locked-down system folder that WinDirStat can't see unless you launch it as an administrator. I've seen some debate as to whether these 'shadow installs' are actually a second install or if they're more of a symlink style thing, but windows certainly saw it as taking up space on my drive. Welp, goodbye Forza Horizon 5. I'd keep you around if you were just 120GB, but not if you're 240GB.

On another note, how are windows store/xbox app game installs still such a loving trashfire? Why can't they just download and install games like a normal loving downloader/launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pvt. Parts posted:

Windows 11 is stable and pretty but the worst part is and will forever be all the weird legacy stuff Microsoft seems to not have the balls/care to ditch. Some settings are still laid across various types of control panels dating back to like I dunno Win 7 days? If you are going to release a new major OS version, make it a new major OS version, users be damned. That said in the grand scheme of things this is a minor complaint and the OS is good when it is working properly (tip: clean installs are King).

I forget where it was but I saw an article peeling back the layers in Windows 11 - here’s an element from 10, this still uses an 8-style picker, that kind of stuff. The article ended with an unholy old ODBC selector still using a Windows 3.1 file picker.