Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Miyoo is really neat. I've loaded it up with Game Boy games so far, just focusing on handheld stuff. OnionUI seems to be the way to go, no complaints with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Preordered a GPD Win 4 (32GB, 1TB model). Mostly plan on using it for indie PC games as I have an Analogue Pocket for retro stuff. Hoping it is as good as the reviews make out as it is an absurd amount of money to spend on a handheld.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
My friend's really happy with his Win Max 2 now that he's done the 6800U tweaks that are in the Phawx video for the Win 4. They definitely seem to help a lot with fan noise and efficiency compared to running pure stock.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Froist posted:

Interesting that the new Loki pics look different to how it originally launched, where the images showed it looking identical to an Odin. It looks a lot chunkier now. I’m really happy with my Odin so didn’t pay too much attention, maybe the preorders noted that it wasn’t a final design?

I think most people assumed those initial images were concept renders, but also they probably should've updated the store pages by now to show the actual final design. That final design isn't actually that much bigger than the Odin, it's mostly just thicker (which people should've expected for cooling reasons) and has front firing speakers now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m ok with a bit thicker tbh.

Looks like it’s about as thick as an Xbox controller.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is cool, Taki got his hands on the cancelled Lenovo competitor to the Logitech G-Cloud. Apparently they made a bunch of prototype models before it was cancelled and they've shown up in the grey market. This was supposed to come out in 2021 from the early reporting I found but got delayed and once they had a new release date set the Steam Deck had been announced at the same price they were planning to launch it for so they just cancelled it. Couldn't find anything about the specs in it though, but I'd be surprised if it was anything higher than the same kind of old Snapdragon Logitech put in the G-Cloud.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Some of the posts are saying Snapdragon 888, but I'm not sure where they got that info.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A SD888 console in 2021 would be just as expensive as my 888 phone, so min 550-600.

Based on the phat bezel alone I don't think it's a high end model

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

A SD888 console in 2021 would be just as expensive as my 888 phone, so min 550-600.

Based on the phat bezel alone I don't think it's a high end model

The chatter in Taki's comments said it was meant to be around $500, hence being cancelled when it became clear the Steam Deck was going to humiliate it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey everyone, could use a bit of advice, some general some rather specific.

Been thinking about getting a retro handheld for a while, but never followed through since customs in my country are a nightmare, where even if the package doesn't mysteriously disappear before reaching me I'd have to pay a 50% import tax making anything dumb expensive, and from comments online most seem to have a bit of an... unpredictable shipping timeframe, which makes sending them to myself if I'm ever abroad somewhat of a crapshot.

Having said all of that, I'm travelling to Europe in March and I have friends in both UK (Bournemouth) and Finland (Helsinki) who I could feasibly send a console to and have a 2-3 month window for it to arrive before I meet with them.

I'm looking for a nice all-rounder; ideally I would be able to play PS2/GC games on it but from some research the ones that can do that reliably are the more expensive offerings, so maybe something up to PSX/PSP? I'd also love to be able to just stream games from my pc to it (which looks I should be able to do with Moonlight in any android-based system?) so analog bumpers would be nice, but not really mandatory.

So, general questions: My candidates so far are the Retroid Pocket 3+ or the Ayn Odin, but I'm of course open to suggestions. ~200 bucks is a nice number, but I could probably go up to 300 if it was a massive upgrade. Those two are bought directly from their respective pages, right?

The RP3+ says their stuff is shipping out on Dec/January? Any idea on how often they restock the missing models? (No Clurple available at the moment, I'm afraid).

The Odin's Shipping Dashboard says October, but no indication if that's 2022 or 2023, but I've read horror stories about people waiting anywhere from 6 months to a year for theirs so not sure what to make of it.

And finally, the specific one: Has any of you bought any retro consoles from UK/Finland? Did you have any customs issues or had to pay import fees?

Thanks in advance!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Probably best to stick with the Retroid Pocket

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly since it's a bit time sensitive I'd go with the RP3+. It's a solid device all around.

I love my Odin but I wouldn't trust it to be there on time.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Odin hasn't had shipping issues for a few months now, barring a recent week when a bunch of the staff got Covid (which also affected Retroid). Either one of them should arrive within a couple weeks.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I ordered an Odin Pro clurple just after new year and tracking says it should be here tomorrow so there doesn't seem to be any major delays currently.

Of course as soon as I ordered it I find out about the 61hz problem which would bug me to no end, it that still a thing? Some words I read say they swapped in a new screen to fix it properly but are now using older ones again for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gym Leader Barack posted:

I ordered an Odin Pro clurple just after new year and tracking says it should be here tomorrow so there doesn't seem to be any major delays currently.

Of course as soon as I ordered it I find out about the 61hz problem which would bug me to no end, it that still a thing? Some words I read say they swapped in a new screen to fix it properly but are now using older ones again for some reason.

AFAIK I think they also did an OTA update to fix it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why not buy both and sell one in your country? Your country has auction site right?

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
Been really eyeing the Miyoo Mini but saw people mentioning that the screen is prone to breaking from short drops, has anyone here experienced that?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The 61hz issue was fixed back in November for all units regardless of the screen revision.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

1upmuffin posted:

Been really eyeing the Miyoo Mini but saw people mentioning that the screen is prone to breaking from short drops, has anyone here experienced that?

I'll caution that it's the most impossible thing to get your hands on presently. They seem to restock 2-3 times a week in batches of 100-400, and lately it's been taking ~15 seconds for the entire stock to sell out from the instant it's posted.

I threw in the towel and am currently waiting on a 280V instead. Nobody's buying those in any particular hurry.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'll caution that it's the most impossible thing to get your hands on presently. They seem to restock 2-3 times a week in batches of 100-400, and lately it's been taking ~15 seconds for the entire stock to sell out from the instant it's posted.

I threw in the towel and am currently waiting on a 280V instead. Nobody's buying those in any particular hurry.

Curious how you find the 280V triggers, they look uncomfortable from the pictures but maybe it's not so bad. RG35XX looks nice but I do wish it was smaller.

Maybe in a few months Miyoo will be easier to get.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

1upmuffin posted:

I dropped mine a couple of times onto hardwood, didn't have any consequences. It's really lightweight, I can't imagine those forces being enough to break anything unless you spike it like a football

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flavor.flv posted:

I dropped mine a couple of times onto hardwood, didn't have any consequences. It's really lightweight, I can't imagine those forces being enough to break anything unless you spike it like a football

There seems to be extreme variance in the build quality. I've seen a few accounts like yours, and my husband's dropped his on a tile floor several times and it even survived a dunk in the toilet, but there's plenty of examples of the screen cracking from a two foot drop onto carpet.

It's possible to get one built like a tank, but I absolutely wouldn't count on it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks everyone for chiming in; I ran some numbers and I'll most likely go for the Retroid for now; even going with the base version of the Odin it's still a ~120 USD difference and ~350 USD gives me a bit of pause (with the pro version coming up to $410 and pro 256 to $460).

Retroid plus a case and a screen protector come up to US$ 250 (including shipping and tax) which is more in line with what I was expecting to spend. I may grab an Odin (or a Loki) at some point in the future depending how much usage I get out of the Retroid.

Thanks again!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Really interesting dive into that cancelled Lenovo handheld from Taki, it's extremely similar to the Logitech G-Cloud to the point where he thinks Tencent went to Logitech for that after the Lenovo deal fell through. It's the same chip and either the same or extremely similar screen as well as the same Tencent developed launcher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djOWeEFRJ6w

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

1upmuffin posted:

Curious how you find the 280V triggers, they look uncomfortable from the pictures but maybe it's not so bad. RG35XX looks nice but I do wish it was smaller.

Maybe in a few months Miyoo will be easier to get.

I've got a 280V, the triggers are "fine" but I also don't really use them for anything that's not emulator hotkeys, given the consoles you're generally actually going to be playing on the thing. Even a couple minutes of something of moderate intensity like Metroid Fusion starts to make my hands cramp a bit with how you have to hold it and that only uses two face buttons with the outer shoulders, so I wouldn't really recommend it in general unless you're using it to play RPGs or games that don't involve the triggers (or really want to spend the time on getting your hands used to the specifically non-ergonomic muscles involved in using it)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I play non-reactive puzzle games and rpg's on mine because it's not really useful for anything else.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got the purple Odin Pro and wow does it make the rp2+ feel like a flimsy piece of poo poo. Build quality and ergonomics are top notch, button resistance and clicks are perfect, and the matte texture of the plastic housing is wonderful to touch. It was sort of an impulse buy after trying and failing to improve the button feel on the retroid but I'm glad I took the jump, I largely play gameboy titles when emulating and this display can do a nice looking pixel filter while keeping everything crisp.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've got a 280V, the triggers are "fine" but I also don't really use them for anything that's not emulator hotkeys, given the consoles you're generally actually going to be playing on the thing. Even a couple minutes of something of moderate intensity like Metroid Fusion starts to make my hands cramp a bit with how you have to hold it and that only uses two face buttons with the outer shoulders, so I wouldn't really recommend it in general unless you're using it to play RPGs or games that don't involve the triggers (or really want to spend the time on getting your hands used to the specifically non-ergonomic muscles involved in using it)

Thank you, yeah, that does not seem like the device for me. I'll look into the RG35XX, or wait for a Miyoo, not in any rush.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
heck yeah, got a shipping notification for the RP3+ and tracking!

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I got the purple Odin Pro and wow does it make the rp2+ feel like a flimsy piece of poo poo. Build quality and ergonomics are top notch, button resistance and clicks are perfect, and the matte texture of the plastic housing is wonderful to touch. It was sort of an impulse buy after trying and failing to improve the button feel on the retroid but I'm glad I took the jump, I largely play gameboy titles when emulating and this display can do a nice looking pixel filter while keeping everything crisp.

I'm thinking about upgrading from an RP3 to an Odin because the pocket is a little too small. What's the size difference between the 2?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Diddler posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from an RP3 to an Odin because the pocket is a little too small. What's the size difference between the 2?

The Odin is halfway between a Switch Lite and a Switch.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Diddler posted:

Speaking of size comparisons..

njsykora posted:

I think most people assumed those initial images were concept renders, but also they probably should've updated the store pages by now to show the actual final design. That final design isn't actually that much bigger than the Odin, it's mostly just thicker (which people should've expected for cooling reasons) and has front firing speakers now.

Russ posted this comparison of the Odin and Loki:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you're even considering the odin, just spend the extra money and get a steam deck

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flavor.flv posted:

If you're even considering the odin, just spend the extra money and get a steam deck

The Odin's kinda big.

The Steam Deck is loving massive.

The Steam Deck is great but there's legitimate reasons to not want one beyond its price. It can run more than any other handheld I own, but those things are the only time I use it. Any time I can reach for something smaller, I do.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This is the Steam Deck

Don't get anything bigger than a Switch.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

In australia the deck is about 3x the cost of the odin, pushed it much past my impulse buy border zone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just got my RP3+ today and it's definitely the best emulation handheld I've purchased so far both in build quality and overall software polish.

e: Got an SD card question. I formatted mine to fat32 with guiformat but then it won't let me put GTA:SA on it because the file is too large. Should/Can I use a different file system than fat32?

e2: Nevermind, converting it to CHD seems to be the solution.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 14, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ayaneo announcing its 2023 stuff. The Slide they announced last year is still coming, an update to the Air, and the Next 2 which is apparently going to be using a Ryzen 7000 CPU with a discreet GPU. That thing especially is probably going to be stupidly powerful, and expensive, and battery hungry.
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1615765439493046291

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The thing that gives me pause on the big one is that the 7000 series includes any kind of existing Ryzen architecture because of AMD’s idiotic new naming scheme meaning that 7000 just means it’s a 2023 model - the Mendocino chip they’re using is the 7520, the 2 meaning Zen 2. I’ve already seen something like the 7735U being very very similar spec wise to the 6800U with Zen 3 and RDNA2. I’m interested to see what they end up going with.

I’m actually a bit more interested in seeing what they do with the Air in the future too, that thing is super tiny. It’s a shame the “plus” has an LCD but I can see that they’re going for a smaller bezel than the OLED one. The OLED one with Android could potentially be a good machine to go for if they put a good chip in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

uiruki posted:

The thing that gives me pause on the big one is that the 7000 series includes any kind of existing Ryzen architecture because of AMD’s idiotic new naming scheme meaning that 7000 just means it’s a 2023 model - the Mendocino chip they’re using is the 7520, the 2 meaning Zen 2. I’ve already seen something like the 7735U being very very similar spec wise to the 6800U with Zen 3 and RDNA2. I’m interested to see what they end up going with.

Yeah Phawx kinda mentioned that in a reply that he was expecting the 7735U which is just an overclocked 6800U but the head of Aya said it's not that. Even if it was though the presence of a dGPU (I expect an RX 6600M on that front) should make it significantly more powerful. To be honest turning handheld PCs into effectively just gaming laptops with a gamepad instead of a keyboard feels like a pretty natural evolution.