Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

The X-man cometh posted:

Have reply guys ever gained a benefit from sucking up to Elon? Has he ever given one a job or endorsement or even a free Tesla bumper sticker?

No he gets them to do work for free like that one jackass who was going to fix search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tiny Timbs posted:

Scott I was just asking if you were doing anything good this weekend

Crossposting from the trumplol thread:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

hell its probably easier to introduce a gene for a 3rd tit than it is to terraform Mars.

Hell of a thing to do to a child though.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Machai posted:

Posting gloryhole

More specifically: https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4#jump

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Outrail posted:

Projecting so hard this tweet is available in three neighbouring galaxies.

sure maybe in 25,000 to 75,000 years you buffoon

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Fish Of Doom posted:

Sometimes he'll reply with "interesting", which to them is probably the most important moment of their life.

It likely is the biggest thing that ever happened to them, that's what makes it extra sad. Willing to bet that there's a non-zero number of reply guys who will have that reply printed out and framed next to their Tesla poster too. And they'll tell the story of how Elon himself replied to them at the drop of a hat to anyone unfortunate enough to be near

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Earwicker posted:

so far all of the films that have actually been made on mars are of rocks.

why does dwayne have exclusive rights for martian films?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Just clicking through the recs on twitter is quite a trip, that place went loving nuts. Apparently they think Bill Gates is going to poison their food with mRNA now?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

surely this will save twitter

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah. Fortunately you get other guns that are much less annoying. I tended to stick to the SMG gun and the one that launches its babies to eat enemies and basically only went back to the Morty Gun when I had to use its special ability to move platforms or when I was forced by the game to leave ALL MY GUNS BUT HIM at home.

The knife was way too much too, but the other guns were mostly just occasional side remarks. Morty Gun just does not shut up.

Supposedly there's a setting in the preferences to make them talk... less.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Postman posted:

Also it absolutely will not happen.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The Postman posted:

hahaha yeah this will make people trust your shitshow

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they do, that poo poo will be minmaxed into app-ruination within an hour.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Transparency builds trust, why the gently caress is he still CEO when the Pupoli Voxed like, 5 months ago?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Flyinglemur posted:

Transparency builds trust, why the gently caress is he still CEO when the Pupoli Voxed like, 5 months ago?

He's very transparently a piece of poo poo.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The Postman posted:

what the gently caress is our 1/10x developer trying to say here?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Steadiman posted:

It likely is the biggest thing that ever happened to them, that's what makes it extra sad. Willing to bet that there's a non-zero number of reply guys who will have that reply printed out and framed next to their Tesla poster too. And they'll tell the story of how Elon himself replied to them at the drop of a hat to anyone unfortunate enough to be near

It's like a chud visiting Mar-a-Lago, his own trip to Mecca... he called MY wife ugly!

boo_radley posted:

He's saying he's going to help bot farms better their algorithms by telling the world how Twitter's broken rear end recommendation system works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Posting recommendation code is maybe the best possible outcome of Musk Twitter because its going to be so viciously optimized to front page the rankest, vilest garbage (including things Elon does not like) by the end of the first 48 hours in the wild they're gonna need to turn it off and go back to old fashioned sort by time stamp.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's like a chud visiting Mar-a-Lago, his own trip to Mecca... he called MY wife ugly!

He's saying he's going to help bot farms better their algorithms by telling the world how Twitter's broken rear end recommendation system works.

There's no way to do this meaningfully without it basically being a marketing- and legal-approved summary, or just dropping a poo poo load of source code out into the ether, giving away all kinds of competitive intelligence. It's amazing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is this Following tab the same as the ordered timeline but in a different name?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Supposedly there's a setting in the preferences to make them talk... less.

I could check, but I'd have to reinstall and, well, Tammy and the T-Rex isn't worth it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

boo_radley posted:

The more you pay Elon, the higher your poo poo opinions get recommended.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Musk's free speech is going to lose him a shareholder suit next month. Only question is how much he's going to pay.

Elon Musk is headed to trial next week over his infamous tweet claiming he had secured funding to take Tesla private at $420 a share. A 10-day civil trial with jury selection scheduled for Tuesday, January 17, is set to begin in US District Court for the Northern District of California.

Law professor Robert Miller told Ars he thinks Musk will lose and that the only outstanding question is how much he'll have to pay in damages. "Elon's going to lose, and he's going to lose for a significant amount. We're just talking about exactly how much," said Miller, who is the F. Arnold Daum chair in corporate finance and law at the University of Iowa College of Law. The case will determine "how much of the inflation and deflation is attributable to the fraud," he said.

Another expert agrees. "Everything is lined up for a plaintiffs' win here," Minor Myers, a University of Connecticut corporate law professor, told Reuters. While Musk's chances of winning outright may be low, the plaintiff still has to prove his false statements directly caused investors' losses in order to obtain a significant payout. They're seeking billions of dollars in damages for investors who bought Tesla shares at inflated prices and sold at a loss.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/01/musk-on-trial-for-funding-secured-tweet-experts-predict-hes-going-to-lose/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*Musk wins, drives off with the jury foreman's Tesla*

Ah well. Nevertheless,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the more realistic thing is he will be found guilty but the amount owed is rather insignificant

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Postman posted:

"We hosed this up, ergo we're going to publish and then when one smart cookie fixes it - we'll just straight up steal the solution"

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Posting the code to allow spammers to optimize their bots is the dumbest loving thing possible so of course he's going to do it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bronze Fonz posted:

finally, I've always felt that the main problem with twitter is that too much of my feed isn't stuff that some macedonian influence farm operator thinks I should be seeing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gschmidl posted:

*Musk wins, drives off with the jury foreman's Tesla*

Ah well. Nevertheless,

except that lately Musk has been the Bizarro-Trump, every time he tries to wriggle he just makes things worse for himself instead

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I could check, but I'd have to reinstall and, well, Tammy and the T-Rex isn't worth it.

how dare you what the absolute gently caress it’s ART

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Scott I was just asking if you were doing anything good this weekend

I didn't really register this as a dog whistle to the far right immediately other than you know......that its Elon but it makes sense now I guess.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve got to know, because it’s loving killing me: is this a quote from anything, because on its surface it seems completely vapid and faux-significant in a way that makes me think it can’t be something so stupid and I must be missing the point.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I’ve got to know, because it’s loving killing me: is this a quote from anything, because on its surface it seems completely vapid and faux-significant in a way that makes me think it can’t be something so stupid and I must be missing the point.

Possibly a Ben Franklin reference? “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”, or whatever the saying was.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

cracker posted:

Posting the code to allow spammers to optimize their bots is the dumbest loving thing possible so of course he's going to do it.

I'd like to think so, but he will either post some stupid poo poo, or more likely just ignore that he said this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Scientastic posted:

It reads like it's the subtitle of a nationalist character's dialogue in an anime

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Or something a bad guy from a Metal Gear Solid game says just before dying.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Its racist coded language against black people.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

interesting

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

BluPotato posted:

Its racist coded language against black people.

I mean, this could easily be the whole thread title by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Scientastic posted:

I think he got this from a fortune cookie