Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Finland joining NATO is absolutely an upset of the status quo. Even assuming that Russia achieves its goals in Ukraine, suddenly sharing 850 miles of border with an adversary is a big loss. The gently caress do you get subs in and out of the Baltic when NATO goes from the GIUK Gap to the Helsinki-Talinn Gap?

Norway and Denmark were founding members of NATO, I think the Russians have understood the difficulties of leaving the Baltic for a long time. Finland doesn't actually border the Arctic Ocean, so nothing has changed for the Northern Fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sweden just announced finding the world's largest rare earth mineral supply so Operation Swedish Freedom is being drafted as we speak

I thought it was something like an estimated million tons, versus Chinas 44 million?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
you guys do realize that weve moved past the point of population number mattering all that much in todays military landscape right? while yes pool of recruits is a thing we're not in 1942 where people were churning out tanks and pulping people by the millions

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One in fifteen young Ukrainian men died of suicide or alcohol abuse in the twenty years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. For the 500,000 Soviet men who were conscripted into cleaning up the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the rate was one in ten.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Considering that both sides are conscripting people, it clearly matters at least a little.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Actually it doesnt matter and tankies need to keep on tanking. Ukraine will win, Zelensky is handsome, don't care, not listening, too long didn't read.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Chamale posted:

One in fifteenyoung Ukrainian men died of suicide or alcohol abuse in the twenty years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. For the 500,000 Soviet men who were conscripted into cleaning up the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the rate was one in ten.

and we thank them for their service

e TO BE CLEAR: their service cleaning up the Chernobyl exclusion zone. idc about the other stuff

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Pipelines are mysterious!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Why not a Chernobyl Inclusivity Zone? Typical racist Russia

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

you guys do realize that weve moved past the point of population number mattering all that much in todays military landscape right? while yes pool of recruits is a thing we're not in 1942 where people were churning out tanks and pulping people by the millions

Given that Ukraine currently has a million men in military and security roles out of a total pool of ~4-5 million I'd say it does matter. Each successive wave of conscription will be of lower quality, like there's not actually 4 million dudes fit for military service and those who haven't joined or who have put more effort into avoiding conscription will average less willingness to fight. To put it in terms you're more familiar with, they will fail their morale tests and run away.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1613925248411246592

Brave German journalist faces off again the propaganda arm of a fascist regime.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, considering conscription is happening, this war has progressively looked more like wars of the past. Either way, the arguement is about longevity and how long the war could go on before serious manpower issues occur. My arguement is that the Ukrainians would see it significantly quicker than the Russians if only not only the pre-war disparity in numbers, but the amount of Ukrainians that have left along with those who are already recruited or otherwise "accounted for." In addition, I believe in any modern society there is going to be a maximum threshold of who will actually want to go to war (obviously this includes the Russians as well).

Of course, the Ukrainians are short on many fronts, but manpower is going to be hard cap. Perhaps the West could scrounge more ammo or tanks, or up the training they are doing etc but there is only so many men to go around (and I think the volunteer card has been mostly played already).

(Also, yeah, Ukraine is a large country, much of it rural, if you don't want to be found it isn't going to be that easy for the state to track you down without engaging in manhunts, and who are hiding in forests and basements are probably not going to be tremendous fighters for your side.)

The addition of foreign forces outright would be well..a bit spicy especially since they would have to be significant in the sense of an actual army on the ground (and an actual NATO force would just be WW3).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Jan 13, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

succccccc https://twitter.com/newsaboutturke1/status/1507904471187312650

SplitSoul posted:

Swedish government apoplectic over hanging of Erdogan effigy as Türkiye opens probe. NATO ascension going great.

lmfao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

/gravel sounds in throat

warm greetings

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I could see things get real messy if Erdogan engages in mass voter fraud/delays the election/engages in a self-coup (or a dozen other great ideas) in June. I mean on one hand, a lot of people are sick of Erdogan and want him out, but would the West actually push for regime change if he doesn't go? Turkey is not only NATO but absolutely strategic and it really seems like it would be playing with fire especially if Erdogan holds on.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1613925248411246592

Brave German journalist faces off again the propaganda arm of a fascist regime.

i never thought the fascists would turn on me, says liberal who has been screaming about how you must unconditionally support the fascists for almost a year straight

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The whole does Ukraine have enough conscripts or not isn't that important.

The question is will Russia attempt another real offensive. Nobody wants to believe that they will, but it's not like they have much of an alternative.

Anyway, still have to wait for Bakhmut to play out. Presumably it's only a matter of time after Soledar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

The question is will Russia attempt another real offensive. Nobody wants to believe that they will, but it's not like they have much of an alternative.

I don't see any way Russia doesn't attempt a serious offensive next spring, at the latest.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lostconfused posted:

The whole does Ukraine have enough conscripts or not isn't that important.

Anyway, still have to wait for Bakhmut to play out. Presumably it's only a matter of time after Soledar.

There is some speculation that the reason why Surovikin was "replaced" by Gerasimov (Gerasimov out-ranked Surovikin even when Surovikin was in charge of the Ukriane operation) is because there is going to be quite a large offensive kicking off soon and the Russians wanted to have the chief of the general staff (with all the additional resources he would have access to) in charge of the operation instead of one of his deputies. Probably some wishful thinking, but potentially a signal that a big shift in the situation on the ground could be happening soon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

There is some speculation that the reason why Surovikin was "replaced" by Gerasimov (Gerasimov out-ranked Surovikin even when Surovikin was in charge of the Ukriane operation) is because there is going to be quite a large offensive kicking off soon and the Russians wanted to have the chief of the general staff (with all the additional resources he would have access to) in charge of the operation instead of one of his deputies. Probably some wishful thinking, but potentially a signal that a big shift in the situation on the ground could be happening soon.

The thing is going to be the weather/hydrology though and that is something the Russians don't have control over. I didn't get a sense there was politics behind the decision (it seems like there would have been more coming out), but at the same time, I don't know if a late January, February, or even a March offensive would be the right call.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KristiRaik/status/1613590182300909568

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol "used to be"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ahhhhhhjjjjj

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm actually mad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Endman posted:

I'm actually mad.

, but

https://twitter.com/KristiRaik/status/1613590183991021569

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Motherfucker is called Raik

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

soviets should have 100% invaded western europe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ukraine may be preparing to use chemical weapons against Russian troops, the Russian Embassy in the United Kingdom said on Twitter, commenting on a video made by Ukrainian servicemen earlier.

"A video published by Ukrainian military apparently shows them preparing to use chemical weapons, possibly phosgene, prohibited by UN CWC [Chemical Weapons Convention], against Russian military," the embassy said, posting the video.

"Letters "OB" stand for toxic munition. This also explains why the gas cylinders need to be stored in the fridge," Russian diplomats added.

According to the video, Ukrainian servicemen were planning to install those cylinders on strike drones.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A day late but lol

Why the North Won, 1960 posted:

Like all American soldiers in all wars, the Confederate soldiers disliked military discipline. Mississippi volunteers shirked assignments which they found tedious, declaring "they did not enlist to do guard duty but to fight the Yankies." At the outbreak of the war, when wealthier soldiers received onerous orders, some coolly instructed their Negro servants to carry them out, meanwhile uncomplainingly taking "upon themselves the duty of sitting on the fence and superintending the work." Others hired substitutes to perform their chores. "The two or three men of the overseer class who were to be found in nearly every company," George Cary Eggleston recalled, "turned some nimble quarters by standing other men's turns of guard-duty at twenty-five cents an hour."

The Southern soldier reserved his democratic right to interpret his orders broadly. The British observer, Colonel J. A. L. Fremantle, at first thought Confederate sentries "quite as strict as, and ten times more polite than, regular soldiers" because they efficiently challenged him when he entered James Longstreet's camp. But when he complimented the Confederate commander, Longstreet "replied, laughing, that a sentry, after refusing you leave to enter a camp, might very likely, if properly asked, show you another way in, by which you might avoid meeting a sentry at all."

Southern soldiers simply disobeyed orders which they deemed unreasonable. Unconvinced that it was necessary to carry heavy packs, they carelessly tossed irreplaceable equipment aside on long, hot marches. Even the idea of marching at a regular rate in tidy lines offended their sense of individuality. "Our great embarrassment," Robert E. Lee reported to Jefferson Davis, "is the reduction of our ranks by straggling, which it seems impossible to prevent. . . . Our ranks are very much diminished-I fear from a third to one-half of our original numbers."

The Southern soldiers who volunteered at the outbreak of the war considered it their right to determine for themselves the length of their service. After a victorious battle in the early days of the war "many would coolly walk off home, under the impression that they had performed their share." When Jefferson Davis attempted to construct a more stable army through conscription, he probably lost more than he gained.

It's so funny that these are the guys who were so committed to slavery they fought the bloodiest war in American history over it. Like these guys who think you can just go home for the weekend in a modern war, they're the ones who started a civil war against an industrialized society? Wild.

Also, I know Matt Karp touched on this in his recent book, but I think it also connects to what we were talking about "Race" and identity formation often being politically determined: By 1860 the South had started to conceive of themselves as a separate race from their erstwhile countrymen. Not only that but an ancient one locked in eternal conflict with forces of darkness .

Normans and Saxons: Southern Race Mythology and the Intellectual History of the American Civil War

Dzhon S. Kalhyn (I hope somebody gets this) posted:

When Representative Preston Brooks of South Carolina savagely caned Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts on the floor of the U.S. Senate on May 21, 1856, Southerners viewed the attack as a triumphant affirmation of southern chivalry, while Northerners saw it as a confirmation of southern barbarity. Public opinion was similarly divided nearly three-and-a-half years later after abolitionist John Brown's raid on the Federal arsenal at Harper's Ferry, Virginia. Northerners crowned John Brown as a martyr to the cause of freedom, while Southerners excoriated him as a conscience fanatic. These events opened American minds to the possibility that North and South might be incompatible societies, but some of Dixie's defenders were willing to go one step further - to propose that Northerners and Southerners represented not just a "divided people" but two scientifically distinct races.

In "Normans and Saxons," Ritchie Watson, Jr., explores the complex racial mythology created by the upper classes of the antebellum South in the wake of these divisive events to justify secession and, eventually, the Civil War. This mythology cast Southerners as descendants of the Normans of eleventh-century England and thus also of the Cavaliers of the seventeenth century, some of whom had come to the New World and populated the southern colonies. These Normans were opposed, in mythic terms, by Saxons - Englishmen of German descent - some of whose descendants made up the Puritans who settled New England and later fanned out to populate the rest of the North. The myth drew on nineteenth-century science and other sources to portray these as two separate, warring "races," the aristocratic and dashing Normans versus the common and venal Saxons.

According to Watson, southern polemical writers employed this racial mythology as a justification of slavery, countering the northern argument that the South's peculiar institution had combined with its Norman racial composition to produce an arrogant and brutal land of oligarchs with a second-rate culture. Watson finds evidence for this argument in both prose and poetry, from the literary influence of Sir Walter Scott, De Bow's Review, and other antebellum southern magazines, to fiction by George Tucker, John Pendleton Kennedy, and William Alexander Caruthers and northern and southern poetry during the Civil War, especially in the works of Walt Whitman. Watson also traces the continuing impact of the Norman versus Saxon myth in "Lost Cause" thought and how the myth has affected ideas about southern sectionalism of today.

"Normans and Saxons" provides a thorough analysis of the ways in which myth ultimately helped to convince Americans that regional differences over the issue of slavery were manifestations of deeper and more profound differences in racial temperament - differences that made civil war inevitable..

I just started skimming it and it's pretty wild, but also familiar.

The construction of a mythological Southern racial identity in the antebellum United States was happening at the same time as the construction of a similarly mythologized racial identity by Galician nationalists in Austria-Hungary. Both groups encountered emerging currents of scientific racism and nationalism while belonging to a "multinational" state. Essentially, what do you do with the desire of the ruling class and emerging middle class to say "Hey, we're special and unique, and we deserve X", when they're part of a larger polity, and not substantially ethnically or linguistically differentiated from their rivals within the state?

In the antebellum South, the myth of a distinct Norman-Cavalier racial identity was first used to justify slavery, Southerners are born natural masters, that sort of thing. (Well first it justified planters bringing their English peasant servants with them to the New World, but slavery followed soon after). This myth was "We Southerners are the fancy and noble ones, unlike those common Northerners (and therefore we deserve slaves)." It transformed an economic mode of production into first a culture, then a race that needed to be protected from, for lack of a better word, genocide. Matt Karp demonstrates they first attempted this through controlling American politics and turned to succession when that became impossible.

The Galician nationalists also constructed a distinct racial identity for themselves, to justify their place in the socio-economic order and jockey for influence in the Dual Monarchy, which has been explained previously. This required creating a mythology that presented a unique culture, history, and ethnicity to differentiate them from other Slavic groups that did not share their status. "We Galicians are special and unique, not just in our relationship with Vienna but in some essential sense". Their "racial" attitudes and myths changed as political fortunes waxed and waned. When they had a good deal of power and influence locally, in periods where Pan-Slavism and Polish nationalism receded, the Galicians imagined themselves as an all-conquering master race claiming their birthright. When Polish and Russian influences were strong, they depicted themselves as an aggrieved people, persecuted and threatened with genocide.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 14, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I wouldn't get too mad about it, Europeans are going to learn all about colonialism when America does it to them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i assume most of ukraine smells like this anyway

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh weird, the people who said they needed to draw NATO into a war in order to win in 2023 are doing the Syria thing, who could have possibly, ever, seen this coming.

I wonder what the guys who spent the past media cycle growing increasingly hysterical about NATO not doing enough, seeing their position on the battlefield start to give way, were planning to do about it? The very media savvy people who have the entire western media in their pocket and sold obvious bullshit to rapturous applause - Ghost of Kiev, Snake Island, more I've forgotten.

The guys who got a poo poo tonne of weapons after the media circus around Bucha.

Oh well.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Jan 14, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ukraine credits local beavers for unwittingly bolstering its defenses — their dams make the ground marshy and impassable

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-says-defenses-stronger-thanks-beavers-dams-2023-1?utm_source=reddit.com

huge if true

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's funny cuz ur mom's beaver is completely indefensible

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

luv me some ukrainian beavers

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I could see things get real messy if Erdogan engages in mass voter fraud/delays the election/engages in a self-coup (or a dozen other great ideas) in June. I mean on one hand, a lot of people are sick of Erdogan and want him out, but would the West actually push for regime change if he doesn't go? Turkey is not only NATO but absolutely strategic and it really seems like it would be playing with fire especially if Erdogan holds on.

Mass voter fraud is 100% a-ok with the West. Happens internally all the time.

This seems like a combo of want and hope.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Not sure Ukraine wants to go down the road of using chemical weapons in the conflict, Russia surely has a bunch of that poo poo of their own and the Ukrainians are the ones that tend to rely on massed infantry to take or hold positions. Seems like potentially a bad decision to open up that door.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yah but they're cheap and easy to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

We're in this situation because western money bought yeltsin the presidency so let's not undersell that influence