Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deep Rock Galactic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

While a great game I get bored of it very fast

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for coop games I can sink a lot of hours in. I don’t mind survival games to some degree but I don’t like janky experiences at all. I enjoyed Heroes of Hammerwatch until it became bullshit at like NG+8. I want something with some form of permanent progression and not super punishing

Earth Defense Force 5

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Force 5

EDF! EDF!

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for coop games I can sink a lot of hours in. I don’t mind survival games to some degree but I don’t like janky experiences at all. I enjoyed Heroes of Hammerwatch until it became bullshit at like NG+8. I want something with some form of permanent progression and not super punishing

Warframe. If you really mean it when you say "a lot of hours", Warframe.*

*but you need to be okay with reading wikis occasionally

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Shine posted:

EDF! EDF!

Shine, dude, that's not how you spell 'Monster.Hunter', what's even happening? You know the drill: I recommend Warframe, like some crackhead turned dealer, and you try to turn people on to MH. We have a system in this thread, man!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Xeras posted:

Stardew
Divinity: Original Sin 1&2
Super Mario World 3D

Edit: Realize after these may be missing the permanent progression element, but they still will take quite a bit of hours to get through.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Xeras posted:

Snowrunner

and EDF

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pipski posted:

Shine, dude, that's not how you spell 'Monster.Hunter', what's even happening? You know the drill: I recommend Warframe, like some crackhead turned dealer, and you try to turn people on to MH. We have a system in this thread, man!

STREETS OF RAGE 4!!!!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Xeras posted:

Streets of Rogue

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

I don't understand how Snowrunner fits the criteria?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Know it's a bit of a dead genre but have there been any semi-recent games in the vein of Uplink?
Already played through Onlink (Uplink mod), Hacknet - a bit too arcadey, but still fun -, zachtronics games as puzzles, and NiteTeam 4 but haven't really found anything that scratches the right theme.

Graphics don't really matter.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Xeras posted:

I don't understand how Snowrunner fits the criteria?

It has coop, hundreds of hours of content, permanent progression in the form of new trucks, upgrades and unlocking routes, and it's chill as hell

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rynoto posted:

Know it's a bit of a dead genre but have there been any semi-recent games in the vein of Uplink?
Already played through Onlink (Uplink mod), Hacknet - a bit too arcadey, but still fun -, zachtronics games as puzzles, and NiteTeam 4 but haven't really found anything that scratches the right theme.

Graphics don't really matter.

Decker's worth an afternoon or two. It is not recent. It's a roguelike RPG from 2001 where you hack into mainframes in a Gibsonesque setting.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

I see a lot of people suggest Snowrunner, which I thought I had from from EGS.
Which turned out to be Mudrunner.
So I took a chance, and while not big on driving games, it turned out to be pretty fun.
Slow but decent.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've been stressed lately and I've discovered that hidden object games are a great way to escape reality and just chill with cute lil pictures especially before bed. That said, looking through the tag on steam I'm realizing a lot of them are more like room escape games or have some manner of puzzle to them, which I enjoy in their own right but what I'm looking for right now is the most mindless, Highlights-rear end just find the objects in the drawing without any other gameplay mechanics whatsoever. For instance, I got A Castle Full of Cats and found it alright but having to travel back and forth between different rooms and unlocking more as I found more cats was too much gameplay for my tastes.

The FIND ALL games have so far been my gold standard; not only do they have neat artwork, you find a variety of different objects in each map and they color in when you've found all the objects in a given part of the scene. Under Leaves was also quite good. The 100 hidden (x) games are alright, but you only get one map and you're finding a bunch of the same object in any given game. Finally, Tiny Lands is technically a find the differences game but is basically what I'm looking for, lots of lovely little dioramas and satisfying to complete.

I'm fortunate that even off sale this genre largely seems dirt cheap on Steam, so I'm down to give any recommendation a shot. Thanks in advance!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hidden Folks is the only other one of note that comes to mind.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xeras posted:

While a great game I get bored of it very fast
I managed to stay interested long enough to promote my Scout a couple times but yes the core gameplay seems to lack a certain depth. The biggest part of the challenge is obviously fighting bugs and the bugs just get repetitive.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm fortunate that even off sale this genre largely seems dirt cheap on Steam, so I'm down to give any recommendation a shot. Thanks in advance!

Morphopolis is one of my favorites, and I second Hidden Folks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's really anything like what I'm looking for but I might as well ask.

Are there any "play as a single character and do stuff in a big simulated world where things happen without you" games that are not spaceship games or Mount & Blade?
I'm just not a fan of historical games or spaceship combat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think there's really anything like what I'm looking for but I might as well ask.

Are there any "play as a single character and do stuff in a big simulated world where things happen without you" games that are not spaceship games or Mount & Blade?

I'm not really a fan of Kenshi to play but it's very much this (although I suppose it's an RPG style party rather than one character)

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

STALKER with the currently hottest modpacks kinda sorta do this

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

Sid Meiers’ Pirates! Though that is a historical game (albeit not medieval)

The Sims 3?

Crusader Kings, kinda?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dwarf Fortress adventurer mode is very much that if you can stand the jank.

And yeah I think OP meant where you can like roam a 3D world but the Paradox grand strategy games are such that you can just do your own things and watch what crazy poo poo the rest of the world gets up to. You can play a Civ game in the style of Sullla's "AI survivor" (use map editor to wall in your own civ and just see what the AIs do, Civ 4 is definitely the best for this particular brand of idiosyncrasy).

I would also definitely recommend Kenshi (with cheat mods if you don't want to deal with the extreme difficulty/extreme grind).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

woke kaczynski posted:

I've been stressed lately and I've discovered that hidden object games are a great way to escape reality and just chill with cute lil pictures especially before bed. That said, looking through the tag on steam I'm realizing a lot of them are more like room escape games or have some manner of puzzle to them, which I enjoy in their own right but what I'm looking for right now is the most mindless, Highlights-rear end just find the objects in the drawing without any other gameplay mechanics whatsoever. For instance, I got A Castle Full of Cats and found it alright but having to travel back and forth between different rooms and unlocking more as I found more cats was too much gameplay for my tastes.

The FIND ALL games have so far been my gold standard; not only do they have neat artwork, you find a variety of different objects in each map and they color in when you've found all the objects in a given part of the scene. Under Leaves was also quite good. The 100 hidden (x) games are alright, but you only get one map and you're finding a bunch of the same object in any given game. Finally, Tiny Lands is technically a find the differences game but is basically what I'm looking for, lots of lovely little dioramas and satisfying to complete.

Ever Seen a Cat?, Hidden Cats and buildings full of cats are all good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Space Rangers 2 (aka Space Rangers HD: A War Apart on Steam). While it takes place in outer space, it's a 2D turn-based RPG, not a traditional spaceship combat game like Elite or Rebel Galaxy 2. The game holds you in the same irrelevant regard as it does the NPCs unless you decide to engage heavily with the main story (which chugs along in the background without you anyway) and become a big shot hero and/or pirate. It's one of my favorite "I just exist here" games.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

The Guild/Europa 1400 is a life sim / business management hybrid where each character in the game works and lives according to the same rules as you, they go to work and run their businesses. Every business and house in the game can be bought or built by you, including buying up the raw resources sources to manipulate supply. There's also town council and church offices that any character can be potentially promoted to and manipulate the laws of the game to their advantage. You can send spies to follow your enemies, then accuse them with the evidence, bribe or blackmail the jurors (or become one) to convict them, bribe the town judge to increase the severity of punishments (or become the judge) and have them imprisoned for life.

It's truly a uniqe little game, there's more modern sequels, but imo they never managed to capture that sandbox feel of the original.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've been playing Valheim and really enjoyed sailing exploration. Anything similar, maybe with a cargo delivery/trading aspect?

Chill, can have goals but I'm not looking to fight any deadlines.
Controller friendly.
Easy or no combat. Having automated npc's would be ok.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A sailing version of X3 would kick rear end.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

hats4cats posted:

I've been playing Valheim and really enjoyed sailing exploration. Anything similar, maybe with a cargo delivery/trading aspect?

Controller friendly.

Stormworks maybe, but I've been told the campaign mode is not super developed, it's mostly building vehicles

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jack Trades posted:

It's in development but Streets of Rogue 2 should be this (Streets of Rogue 1 was already doing simulation, but on a smaller scale; the sequel is more open world): https://store.steampowered.com/app/2165810/Streets_of_Rogue_2/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xeras posted:

Aliens: Fireteam Elite

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

isnt Mount and Blade a fantasy world i dont think its historical

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's only "fantasy" in that the people/places/cultures etc. have fictional names, but it's a very no-magic mundane world.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

hats4cats posted:

Controller friendly.

Check out Sailwind. An indy game in early access but leans heavily into the sailing mechanics. It was kinda unpolished when I checked it out a few years back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

hats4cats posted:

Controller friendly.

Merchant of the Skies, which is very chill although technically airships in a world of floating islands.

There's some kind of whole genre of trading games out there that I really don't know much about aside from the fact that some people actually do focus on the commodity trading side of games like Sid Meier's Pirates or space pirate games. I don't really know much about it beyond the how the Port Royale series keeps showing up to me.

Also the exceptionally ugly Gazillionaire Deluxe.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Hidden Folks is the only other one of note that comes to mind.

Sway Grunt posted:

Morphopolis is one of my favorites, and I second Hidden Folks.

I somehow forgot to mention Hidden Folks, I do have that and it is also a very good and chill game! I apparently have Morphopolis presumably from some random bundle, so I'll check it out, thanks!

Picking up these as well. Much appreciated, all! :keke:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

I somehow forgot to mention Hidden Folks, I do have that and it is also a very good and chill game! I apparently have Morphopolis presumably from some random bundle, so I'll check it out, thanks!

Picking up these as well. Much appreciated, all! :keke:

I would extremely recommend Looking for Aliens as well

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733500/Looking_for_Aliens/

It is an extremely good one in the style of Hidden Folks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hope this is the right thread im looking for a game i cant find

it was a game like civ (couldve sworn it had "civ" in the title but not 100%) but was like a simplified down version i believe it had a board game theme/aesthetic but again not 100%. Wouldve been on pc or switch maybe?

I dont think it was pocketciv bc that is advertised as having a solitaire theme?

*i didnt play this game i just thought it looked really cool and ill def know it if i see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

hope this is the right thread im looking for a game i cant find

it was a game like civ (couldve sworn it had "civ" in the title but not 100%) but was like a simplified down version i believe it had a board game theme/aesthetic but again not 100%. Wouldve been on pc or switch maybe?

I dont think it was pocketciv bc that is advertised as having a solitaire theme?

*i didnt play this game i just thought it looked really cool and ill def know it if i see it

Dorfromantik?