Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cruft posted:

Actually, "an unending stream of minor annoyances" could also describe my ownership experience of most of the non-luxury cars I've owned.

This has been my experience, too. I had to get both my Sorento and my Model Y serviced within the first month of ownership. The Sorento had to be taken to a dealership, dropped off, a diagnostic fee paid, a diagnostic fee refunded because it was determined to be under warranty, left for a week waiting for parts, and then picked up with a bunch of mud on the carpet that wasn’t there before. The Model Y had to be parked in my driveway for an afternoon, while someone showed up, fixed it, and left before I even noticed they had arrived.

I’m not going to rave about how Teslas are the perfect driving machine (because nothing is), but it’s a generally-nice car. I still like it, and it was worth what I spent on it a couple of years ago. By far the most annoying part is that Very Online People have recently declared that it is now and has always been a self-propelled MAGA hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

One of our EVs is from the bad company and I don't mean to defend them but my two service appointments were completely painless. I get that that's not a universal experience but it is mine.

1. Blown tire -> AAA towed it to my house, mobile service came by and put on a new one right before we left for yellowstone.
- We love road trips, so range and charging network were the top consideration.

2. Message on the dash that said "AC power reduced, max charging speed may be restricted" or something like that. Scheduled service in the app, dropped it off, got a loaner, picked it up a few days later, everything fixed under warranty. Zero friction.

There's a shitload of valid reasons to criticize the company, but to take the internet stereotypes as the god's honest truth is just silly. They aren't child seeking deathbots that explode if you look at them wrong. Some get built properly, and some areas provide decent service. Maybe we just lucked out, but I'll continue not caring until the leopard eats my face and then sell it to someone that is as naive as I was.

I look forward to a competitive CCS charging network.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 14, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am excited by the prospect of used EV prices tanking, but I know in my heart that dealers will never lower their markup.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah, they will and already are. The scalper market always tanks quickly when supply goes up or they can’t otherwise make a reasonable profit.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Used model 3s are gonna be cheap as gently caress.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Used model 3s are gonna be cheap as gently caress.

For a while. I don’t expect the price cuts to stick around if demand rebounds.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

The Supercharger network alone is worth the price of admission in certain parts of the US. If you live in the midwest, northern Rockies, Deep South, etc. there’s just no comparison between it and any other charging network.

The car is overrated but the SC network is super loving useful if you live outside of a big metro.

Hell, even in West Seattle, both of the City Light chargers at a DCFC location are now offline due to nozzle theft. One has been offline due to backordered parts since November. I’ve never seen an SC station fully offline like that.

Euronymous fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 14, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

For a while. I don’t expect the price cuts to stick around if demand rebounds.

It'll be interesting to see how Tesla handles visually updating the 3 and Y. I'd expect an S style facelift sooner or later and that's going to make the second hand ones look dated.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's been rumored for a while and the only real progress we've seen are slightly different interiors and The Yoke.

The truth is the assembly lines aren't hardy enough for a massive retool. Look at the clusterfuck that was the Model 3 roll-out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The S is a lot different than it was at launch.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The S and X are low volume so it is easier to retool their lines and they were still down for months before the last refresh. Also the refreshes look slightly closer to the 3/Y styling than the older Raven models did if anything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bird with big dick posted:

The S is a lot different than it was at launch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s not the current Model S.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thwomp posted:

As small a thing as it is, missing CarPlay/Android Auto support is a dealbreaker, for me at least.

:yeah:

Literally a hard requirement for me for any future car purchases, used or new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Failson posted:

I am excited by the prospect of used EV prices tanking, but I know in my heart that dealers will never lower their markup.

The used car market is a pretty free market all things considered. It’s pretty tight to supply and demand economics.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's been rumored for a while and the only real progress we've seen are slightly different interiors and The Yoke.

The truth is the assembly lines aren't hardy enough for a massive retool. Look at the clusterfuck that was the Model 3 roll-out.

Doesn't need to be a massive retool - just fix the bumpers up a bit.

They've already changed how the tail lights look.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Y has a full hatchback and tall roof over the 3, that is why it is everywhere and probably the correct choice for a "do it all-er". The X is just pompous trash though. They should just copy the S front end too on the 3/Y as the duckbill is old now.

-not a current owner

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Roadie posted:

:yeah:

Literally a hard requirement for me for any future car purchases, used or new.

This was literally the reason why I didn't get a Model 3. Y'all don't know what you are missing, Tesla owners.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have Apple CarPlay. It’s fine, though I haven’t driven a Tesla long enough to know what I’d be missing out on. The Tesla software is kinda nice in many regards tbh.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I expect my car to be decently built, and the face of the company to not post transphobic poo poo on twitter. A high bar I suppose but I'm sure I can find some companies that clear it.

I saw a mini today in Zesty Yellow and was disappointed to find out that they don't make the electric one in that color. Now I was unlikely to buy it but I totally would have tried to talk myself into it (only to be like ehhhh that range isn't going to be great in the winter).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 14, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm hoping Genesis offers the GV70 electric in that crazy green the GV60 is in, or some similarly out there colour.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what even are the common issues with the model 3, besides the door handle freezing issue? I joined a Polestar owners' group on Facebook and am reading about tons of issues that can fail to make the car start or unlock, etc and am thinking ehhhh

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

priznat posted:

I'm hoping Genesis offers the GV70 electric in that crazy green the GV60 is in, or some similarly out there colour.
hope you are a banker or whatever. the electrified G80 is twice as expensive as the ICE G80 because gently caress you.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It’s 8k more than a V6 G80 in top trim or like 12% more (it’s only sold in equivalent to top trim)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hope you are a banker or whatever. the electrified G80 is twice as expensive as the ICE G80 because gently caress you.

I just want more crazy colours out there regardless if I buy em or not. I am not super sold on the GV70 anyway

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Infinotize posted:

It’s 8k more than a V6 G80 in top trim or like 12% more (it’s only sold in equivalent to top trim)
it starts at 80k whereas the ICE G80 starts at 50k but yeah, i mean if you spec the gently caress out of the ICE G80 you can get pretty close

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think you're all missing the important news item here. Who's going to be the first in AI to get an Afeela with the vanity plate DEEZNUTS?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sony notoriously backs the wrong format so expect Hydrogen Fuel Cell to make huge gains

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
EV thread mk 3 - an Afeela with the vanity plate DEEZNUTS

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

what even are the common issues with the model 3, besides the door handle freezing issue? I joined a Polestar owners' group on Facebook and am reading about tons of issues that can fail to make the car start or unlock, etc and am thinking ehhhh

What kind of issues are the people in the Polestar group having? The only problem I encountered was some trouble enabling my phone as a third key (the problem was me, I only had 1 key in the car and it wants you to have both).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Most of the issues are with the GPS/telemetry module which for some reason also covers unlocking the car. Google 'Polestar 2 TCAM'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dissss posted:

Most of the issues are with the GPS/telemetry module which for some reason also covers unlocking the car. Google 'Polestar 2 TCAM'

Ah yeah TCAM issues are something I've read about briefly - as far as I can tell this can stop you from unlocking the car with a phone, but not with the actual keys. I keep a key on my keyring, I'm anxious enough as it is over forgetting my phone someplace. The bigger issue is that it basically kills GPS/LTE until it gets reset or magically fixes itself, sounds like a pain

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just from a quick scan of the group:

- Heater breaks and it takes 6 weeks for Polestar to fix
- New ordered cars can't be delivered because TCAM is already broken
- Brake pads bind after sitting for a few days, causing loud banging noises on driving
- Random infotainment crashes
- Having to reset infotainment to get the car to charge

Not good.

I hear a lot of complaining about Tesla build quality with regard to paint and panel gaps, but do they have problems like these?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Also from what I'm reading it sounds like the TCAM issue can indeed disable your keys. Wow.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

- Brake pads bind after sitting for a few days, causing loud banging noises on driving

Not good.

I hear a lot of complaining about Tesla build quality with regard to paint and panel gaps, but do they have problems like these?

When I was considering a Model 3 I found a laundry list of absolutely bizarre issues people would find, such as a model 3 being delivered with no brake pads; the owner was complaining to a Tesla service tech over the phone about a metal grinding sound and the tech was like "that's normal" lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I had a coworker who bought a model Y and in addition to issues with water ingress into the hatch (quite an issue in rainy Seattle) the car also just completely stopped functioning on the interstate and the only thing that worked to get it to turn on again was getting out and walking away like 30 feet down the shoulder and then coming back.

So yea, they can have those sorts of issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Ah yeah TCAM issues are something I've read about briefly - as far as I can tell this can stop you from unlocking the car with a phone, but not with the actual keys. I keep a key on my keyring, I'm anxious enough as it is over forgetting my phone someplace. The bigger issue is that it basically kills GPS/LTE until it gets reset or magically fixes itself, sounds like a pain

I think it can stop the proximity key working as normal and you need to use the little metal key inside the fob to open the door. Which will set the alarm off.

As for the Model 3 I haven't heard anything bad about the build quality of Chinese manufactured versions.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Not good.

Tesla thread in Yospos has a lot of anecdotes that match this if that’s the threshold

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I guess this is a Y not a 3, but Teslas have some... unique issues https://twitter.com/rust1n/status/1612692296461582337?t=Rt4Kb0iknDXOxdSfXCbdCQ&s=19

I guess you can't really count running themselves off the road and emergency braking in middle of busy freeways while in "Full Self Driving" as reliability issues.

JD power doesn't rank Tesla because of "small sample size" (but they do rank Alfa and Land Rover who sell way less cars) but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence on Reddit about various weird build quality issues, windows exploding, infotainment screens breaking (a way bigger deal on a Tesla than most cars) stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Waifu Radia posted:

Tesla thread in Yospos has a lot of anecdotes that match this if that’s the threshold
It's been a few years since I popped into that thread, but I remember they were obsessed with (a) battery fires, which have been happening with basically every BEV make, and (b) this "whompy wheels" thing invented by a British climate denier who took pictures of wrecked Teslas from junkyards and pasted them into falsified regulatory complaints.

Not saying Teslas don't have issues, I mean see above, but I'm not gonna use the yospos thread to help make a decision about how failure prone the Model 3 actually is relative to other cars in its class.