Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Jazerus posted:

lamb and beef probably not worth using together imo. too similar so your brain will just process the flavor and texture as all-beef unless you eat a lot of lamb. pork's a good idea tho

when i make lamb kofta, i usually stretch out the lamb with beef because it's so expensive, it still tastes like lamb with up to half beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you're not eating nistipata ("addict stew") every day you're probably a cop.

o7

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

poemdexter posted:

I remember spending like 60 dollars on crazy ingredients to make a super decadent bolognese one evening, and it ended up tasting exactly like hamburger helper I was so mad.

The last time I splurged $18 on bolognese from a local pasta restaurant that an acquaintance raved to me about it tasted exactly like Chef Boyardee

Better texture by a mile but I wasn't thrilled

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
drat just get a big can of Ragu and add browned beef to it just like my mama makes

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
pljeskavica.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ps9OmYILIk

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
one of my favorite cheap recipes is peanut butter and tea

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This cheap and simple but satisfying bolognese recipe is a good starting point. Add mushrooms, celery, more onions, whatever your preference.

It's also great on buttered toast or English muffins.

If you're feeding (man)children who don't like vegetables, you can add a surprisingly large amount of carrot, celery and onion to this without it being obvious.

Edit: works better with a combination of beef and pork mince

GotLag has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Jan 13, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cmerepaul posted:

what's the difference between broth that's been boiled for five minutes, and broth that's just been brought to a boil?

About five minutes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

christmas boots posted:

About five minutes

I like the idea of reducing reconstituted bullion.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you want to make cheap food in quantity, then stews and soups are the way to go.
Get whatever root vegetables you can find, the cheapest cut of meat, dice it all up, simmer it (but don't boil the arse off it, it should be slightly bubbling not roiling) for a few hours with some stock and dried herbs. The only real way to gently caress it up is to over-salt, if you're adding stock powder then you probably don't need salt, and remember when tasting and seasoning that you'll feel the salt much more when you eat a whole bowl full.

If you want to make a stew thicker and more satisfying, either simmer it with the lid off to reduce the amount of liquid, or thicken it with corn starch (don't add the corn starch directly the stew or it will form clumps, instead mix it 1:1 with cold water in a separate container until it's smooth, and add that to the stew).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GotLag posted:

If you want to make cheap food in quantity, then stews and soups are the way to go.
Get whatever root vegetables you can find, the cheapest cut of meat, dice it all up, simmer it (but don't boil the arse off it, it should be slightly bubbling not roiling) for a few hours with some stock and dried herbs. The only real way to gently caress it up is to over-salt, if you're adding stock powder then you probably don't need salt, and remember when tasting and seasoning that you'll feel the salt much more when you eat a whole bowl full.

If you want to make a stew thicker and more satisfying, either simmer it with the lid off to reduce the amount of liquid, or thicken it with corn starch (don't add the corn starch directly the stew or it will form clumps, instead mix it 1:1 with cold water in a separate container until it's smooth, and add that to the stew).

pasta sauce is just stew with less water

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

When I first cooked I thought I was smart. "all the ingredients get in there at the end, why does it matter what order I put them in" "it all will end up at serving temp, as long as the meat is cooked through its done" "I should turn the meat regularly so that it cooks evenly" that kind of stupidity. Here's my biggest breakthroughs

If there's any water in the pan, the temp cannot go above 100C/212F (give or take depending on salted water and altitude). Even with stew you should brown the meat first. Pat meat dry if it's juicy in the packaging and don't overcrowd so that the juice keeps the temp low. Don't turn the meat/veggies more than a couple times. Sugar/milk solids help things brown, so add butter or sugar if you want richer browning. Roast veggies in the oven, coated in oil, to drive out as much water as possible.

Oil/water spread heat around evenly, food you are cooking should be coated in one or the other depending on what temp you want.

you are probably not using enough oil/fat, salt, acid or sugar. use more, unless you have health reasons not to

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

dust small chunks of raw meat in flour and fry them in a bit of fat or oil at high heat in small batches before adding the water and simmering with the veggies

searing it will add a lot of flavour and the flour will thicken the stew

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

tak posted:

dust small chunks of raw meat in flour and fry them in a bit of fat or oil at high heat in small batches before adding the water and simmering with the veggies

searing it will add a lot of flavour and the flour will thicken the stew

dusting it also prevents chunks of flour in your meal. super pro move.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ekuNNN posted:

I always assumed it was bread crumbs with some spices or something that you could combine with ground beef to make meatballs or hamburgers
I had made the same assumption. I think the core of the confusion is the fact that when Americans say "hamburger" (or "sausage") they are not necessarily talking about hamburgers (or sausages). If you replace "hamburger" with "mince" it sounds a lot more like what it actually is; although it's still not at all clear from just the name alone, it doesn't push you straight away down the wrong path.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah, "hamburger" = "ground beef" = "mince" (if you're british)

if an american says "a hamburger" or "a sausage" they mean what it sounds like, but drop the "a" and it's ground or sliced or something usually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

on the east coast we sometimes say chop meat sometimes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve heard chop meat for cube steak.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve heard chop meat for cube steak.

Is "cube steak" diced beef?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"a hamburger" is the patty (and via synechdoche the whole sandwich) and if you put fried chicken on a bun it's a fried chicken sandwich, not a chicken hamburger

is this not universal

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tiggum posted:

Is "cube steak" diced beef?

no it's run through a square-grid shaped cutter that doesn't quite cut all the way through

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is loco moco a hamburger on rice?

yes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mechanically texturized either they beat it with a hammer looking tenderizer or a punch or slicing blades. it’s a way to use roast quality meat as a steak. it’s what’s inside a chicken fried steak.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

they’re real good marinated and cheap. but they don’t stock them much. like maybe one single package might be in a meat display.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antonymous posted:

"a hamburger" is the patty (and via synechdoche the whole sandwich) and if you put fried chicken on a bun it's a fried chicken sandwich, not a chicken hamburger

is this not universal
No. Only Americans call hamburgers "sandwiches". Fried chicken inside a bread roll is a chicken burger.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Tiggum posted:

No. Only Americans call hamburgers "sandwiches". Fried chicken inside a bread roll is a chicken burger.

where are you getting your info from? It’s wrong

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I was very confused by people calling me a burger flipper after I got my first restaurant job. Like what the hl we hardly ever flip them?? Like only when the manager isn't looking?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

My brain.

But also KFC Australia will back me up (at least to the extent of Australians saying "chicken burger" and not "chicken sandwich" like some kind of lunatic who can't tell the difference between a bread roll and a couple of slices of bread).

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
now I'm curious about where non-Americans draw the line between burgers and sandwiches

would salami on a Kaiser roll be a salami burger, and would a patty melt not be a burger

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mawarannahr posted:

no u

tiggum is correct

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hamburger also originated from a German immigrant meatloaf a “hamburger steak”. That Americans put on a bun. it’s definitely the name for the meat patty specifically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Chairman posted:

would salami on a Kaiser roll be a salami burger
Don't be ridiculous.

The Chairman posted:

and would a patty melt not be a burger
Yeah, nah, that's a sandwich.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Tiggum posted:

My brain.

But also KFC Australia will back me up (at least to the extent of Australians saying "chicken burger" and not "chicken sandwich" like some kind of lunatic who can't tell the difference between a bread roll and a couple of slices of bread).

Weatherman posted:

no u

tiggum is correct

Nope you angloids

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jXaPEkTF7KU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Everyone in this debate is correct.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's a whole other language though? You use different words for everything.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Tiggum posted:

That's a whole other language though? You use different words for everything.

guess where sandviç comes from

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

no american has ever called a hamburger a sandwich

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in chinese 漢堡 (han bao - literally the name for hamburg, germany) is always on round bread, a bun, and 三明治 (San ming zhi) is always on triangle bread, from rectangular sliced bred cut diagonally. it's easy to remember because 三 means three. 三明治 would also cover a baguette with caprese salad in it or w/e, or a sandwich made from sliced bread cut horizontally

Completely unrelated that chinese stuffed buns are also called bao, 包子. different tone. But you could call a hamburger a 漢堡包 - hamburg stuffed bun. A purse or wallet is also a 包

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Jan 14, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

no american has ever called a hamburger a sandwich

I've definitely seen people call it a "hamburger sandwich" in like, stuff from the 50's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ok no living american