Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The LI tag is the only reason I look at hardstuck. My mech is pretty low maintenance, but it's still something that took me over a week to get a handle on and that's with no weapon swap and no grenades. :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Reason why you see the advertisement for dps more than healers is that you need 3.5 dps for every 1 healer, in easy open world stuff you can generally use numbers over group comps to get things done or the damage isn't so severe that it requires healing over just more dps to get it done faster.

I always thought The Thing(c) was to have offensive support filling most of the dps role, due to cranking out boons. Likewise (aside from druid, which is apparently a turbo healer spec?) I thought healing was done by "defensive supports". I know there's pure dps-and-nothing-but specs out there but it's still kind of screwy, coming from other MMOs, to be completely full on massive boon generation/utility/healing and just want a bunch of glass cannons.

Then again I'm new and this game is weird so this all may be totally normal. So far I've eschewed pure dps specs because A) my gear sucks and B) I assumed the big need was for offensive/defensive supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

You better believe I copped that bin chicken.

Also the new firework rifle slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2wsXpmpQ-U

Lonk fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I started playing again after a hiatus and holy poo poo the game became much more fun and less frustrating. I'm pulling numbers and filling roles I've never attempted before with 2-3 button rotations. Quickhealing pug strikes and watching 20k bleed ticks like it weren't no thang.

E. Phone posting so forgot to quote, but context is for low intensity/apm builds.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 11, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m obviously an outlier, but I prefer double tap move to dodge. I rarely dodge accidentally due to fat fingering the move keys. Plus it makes it easier for me to dodge in specific directions, which I’ve found to be useful.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

God I hate all the garish, gaudy crap they come out with. Just fuckin' hate it! Sure, if the colours are so loud it hurts to look at, it's so bright it drops your framerate from all the bloom and it makes you trail a cloud of nonsensical particle effects, just slap it all on. Like an explosion at a tinsel factory. No nuance or subtlety.

Everyone else seems to love it, though :shrug:

Mailer posted:

"You will, in addition to wasd/dodge/jump movement, have 17-23 keys you need to bind and hit with perfect timing while also moving and reacting to the rest of the screen."

It's not very newbie-friendly, but it's true. I had my eye on healy druid and some sort of mesmer (mainly for portals to help people, but still) but after looking at their weapon swaps and extended rotations I ran away. I think being yet another Firebrand may be the limit of my utility and even that requires managing cooldowns on two bars. :negative:

Heal guardian is fun, and pretty simple. I use something like this. Mostly passive healing from my aura, some direct healing, and an absolute shitton of condition clear.

By no means optimal, but fun to play and does not need any intense button mashing. I use it for supporting meta and world boss events. I've also used it to support two buddies through dungeons, with them new to the game and not especially effective.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mailer posted:

The LI tag is the only reason I look at hardstuck. My mech is pretty low maintenance, but it's still something that took me over a week to get a handle on and that's with no weapon swap and no grenades. :v:

I always thought The Thing(c) was to have offensive support filling most of the dps role, due to cranking out boons. Likewise (aside from druid, which is apparently a turbo healer spec?) I thought healing was done by "defensive supports". I know there's pure dps-and-nothing-but specs out there but it's still kind of screwy, coming from other MMOs, to be completely full on massive boon generation/utility/healing and just want a bunch of glass cannons.

Then again I'm new and this game is weird so this all may be totally normal. So far I've eschewed pure dps specs because A) my gear sucks and B) I assumed the big need was for offensive/defensive supports.

If you could figure out warframe's obtuse systems you'll probably be fine in guildwars, though guildwars combat and character setup is a lot more complicated then warframe's "equip the 2 good elements in the game on your guns, shoot gun or use your 1-2 good abilities, if everything in the room and the next 2 rooms over didn't die already to those, repeat until dead, then ninja jump away to extraction"

Hyperlynx posted:

God I hate all the garish, gaudy crap they come out with. Just fuckin' hate it! Sure, if the colours are so loud it hurts to look at, it's so bright it drops your framerate from all the bloom and it makes you trail a cloud of nonsensical particle effects, just slap it all on. Like an explosion at a tinsel factory. No nuance or subtlety.

Everyone else seems to love it, though :shrug:

I prefer a good mundane look myself, to the point where I didn't bother with the legendary accessories until they added the option to toggle off their effects.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 11, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you could figure out warframe's obtuse systems you'll probably be fine in guildwars, though guildwars combat and character setup is a lot more complicated then warframe's "equip the 2 good elements in the game on your guns, shoot gun or use your 1-2 good abilities, if everything in the room and the next 2 rooms over didn't die already to those, repeat until dead, then ninja jump away to extraction"

I think the big difference (going from "I'm missing like 20 things in the entire game" in WF to blind ignorance in GW2) in getting into it is while both games have a staggering number of progression paths, each path in WF is pretty direct. You want thing, you go to missions where parts for thing drop (or grind faction, or whatever) until you get parts, then you make thing. There's a million things to do but they're all straight lines towards a goal, even if you get RNG screwed a lot.

As a comparison: I know I want agony resist, which means I want ascended gear, and the path towards that gear is... not clear. Some of it can be purchased from the bots, but only certain types, and the wiki lists 22 different ways to get weapons alone. I'd imagine a lot can be crafted, but who knows if I even have the correct content unlocked or have access to the special currency for that. I can't just look up where the thing drops and forge off in that direction because there's so many directions.

On the plus side I managed to not completely bungle a daily series of mechanics-heavy fractals I'd never done before and survived a 25 with no resist, so I got that going for me. My bot was declared the MVP. :v:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Don't worry about getting agony resistance ahead of time. I made that mistake. Apparently all you need to do is do fractals and you'll end up with enough ascended gear as a result.

But more generally - and this thought has just occurred to me - you could probably argue that figuring out how all these different systems work and the best way to deal with them is the game. Well, using tools like the wiki and gw2efficiency, at least.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

How decked out is your character as a non-boosted 80 compared to the booster gear? Like should I be saving exotics (not perfect exotics, but usable) for alts?

Hyperlynx posted:

But more generally - and this thought has just occurred to me - you could probably argue that figuring out how all these different systems work and the best way to deal with them is the game. Well, using tools like the wiki and gw2efficiency, at least.

I think it's an enjoyable enough game in its own right that constantly dipping out to check the wiki is a negative. The sheer volume of systems upon systems is a thing I have a terrible weakness for but much of it is so hidden or obtuse that I don't even know I should be searching for it in the first place.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That's fair enough. You do seem particularly keen on doing things as well as possible, so I can see how the sheer number of different things that one can do as well as possible in gw2 would be an issue.

I sell exotics anything I don't need, and buy the ones I do.

Most of my characters have exotic Berserker's gear, or Viper's, or Dire (budget Viper's with more survivability) and my healers have a set of Cleric's. My perpetually dying Deadeye uses Assassin's, and my Guardian uses Marauder's. I have one set of Zojja's (ascended Berserker's) that I spent real cashmoney to make, thinking I needed it for fractals, which I regret.

E: oh, and ascended trinkets on just about everyone, usually vitality/power/toughness, obtained from the living world maps that let you trade map currency for ascended trinkets. I kind of swap those for Berserker's ones back and forth depending on how confident I'm feeling and how badly I'm getting my arse kicked.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 11, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

How decked out is your character as a non-boosted 80 compared to the booster gear? Like should I be saving exotics (not perfect exotics, but usable) for alts?

A non-boosted 80 will just have whatever rewards they got from level-ups, drops, etc. Most frequently it will be low level crap when you first hit 80. But exotic gear can be bought off the TP fairly cheaply for a lot of stats. Be aware of named gear - Zhed's / Nika's / Devona's is usually significantly cheaper than gear with bezerker in the name, for example: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor

Regarding ascended gear, this is also on the wiki:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

The most direct route for armour and weapons is probably crafting, but it's also complex and requires upfront investment to level the various crafting skills you'll need. It is a bit of a sink for all the account-bound ascended materials the game constantly piles on you at 80 though. Strikes are probably where I've seen the most ascended gear outright drop, and they also reward prophet shards that can be used to buy pieces - as well as being a great source of gold.

Bear in mind if you have an ascended piece in the right armour class, you can stat-swap for a price using the mystic forge: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing#Ascended_weapons_and_armor

Also, ascended gear is account bound, so if you can be bothered you can move it between multiple characters of the same armour weight

For trinkets, living world 3 & 4 are an easy source of stat-selectable items, but I think you don't have those unlocked. Achievements for the expansion storylines can reward some, but this is obviously limited as it can't be repeated. Rings drop a fair amount in fractals.

Special mention for ritualist's back piece, which they just didn't add to the game, so you can't get it unless you have a legendary back piece.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My understanding is that it's usually cheapest to buy what you need rather than craft it. But, really, the thing to do is to check https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator

E: and buying what you need and selling what you don't is basically your best option. Well, you salvage what you don't need and sell the materials, because materials are always in demand. Unlike other RPGs it's seldom that something drops that you need that can't be bought on the trading post.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 11, 2023

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I'll make a suggestion of having your first set of various Ascended Accessories be Celestial prefix. The main advantage is that if you're just starting out, it'll do decent work for almost every spec in the game & PvE mode which makes it extremely versatile, and Celestial isn't terribly far behind proper stuff like Zerker or Viper for damage if it's just your right side.

As a bonus, Celestial is great for general open world stuff due to its huge budget giving you defensive stats too.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Oh god I bought more keys tonight and got the fishing rod. Lonk stays winning.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

DangerDan posted:

I'll make a suggestion of having your first set of various Ascended Accessories be Celestial prefix. The main advantage is that if you're just starting out, it'll do decent work for almost every spec in the game & PvE mode which makes it extremely versatile, and Celestial isn't terribly far behind proper stuff like Zerker or Viper for damage if it's just your right side.

As a bonus, Celestial is great for general open world stuff due to its huge budget giving you defensive stats too.

please don't bring celestial anything to raids without letting your commander know you're doing it

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

..btt posted:

Special mention for ritualist's back piece, which they just didn't add to the game, so you can't get it unless you have a legendary back piece.

You can actually get it from this thing:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Echovald_Cathedral_Backpiece

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Saraiguma posted:

please don't bring celestial anything to raids without letting your commander know you're doing it

Is this because monsters tend to want to attack the guy with the most toughness?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

jokes posted:

Is this because monsters tend to want to attack the guy with the most toughness?

Only for some raids. Generally, they just target the closest player/pet/friendly, with some additional factors calculated in. Wiki has a detailed page on aggro if you want to get into the weeds.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

My understanding is that it's usually cheapest to buy what you need rather than craft it. But, really, the thing to do is to check https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator

E: and buying what you need and selling what you don't is basically your best option. Well, you salvage what you don't need and sell the materials, because materials are always in demand. Unlike other RPGs it's seldom that something drops that you need that can't be bought on the trading post.

Most ascended materials and all ascended gear are account bound. You can't trade it, you can only trade for most materials needed to craft it. It's likely cheaper to just buy the gear with, e.g. strike tokens and gold though.

Huh, I have Ad Infinitum myself, but that's useful to know.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

jokes posted:

It’s partially this but mostly that each player in a raid is filling a specific role, so you want stats minmaxed for it.

Celestial is good for things like open world pve and roaming WvW where having More Total Stats can outweigh being specialized.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not really playing right now but doing the daily login just because.

Saw the new Lunar bunny helmet and... I don't need it. I DONT. It's not cute at all, stop looking at me!!!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

...They did go back and make some spots no-mount zones, to stop people bypassing jumping puzzles, but there's still a shitton of (essentially) minor sequence breaks in Central Tyria maps made possible by the springer. Vistas in particular are WAAAAY easier to reach...

Right now I'm doing map completion for the second time. The first time was back in 2014-2015 in the pre-mounts era. These days I'm using mounts to reach vistas in seconds. But I still remember back in the day, how so many of these vistas were lowkey jump puzzles and could take forever to reach; I'm not longing for the pre-mount days at all.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just checked around on the Fast Farming site and material prices have dropped so much that farming volatile magic is basically no longer worthwhile. Hopefully we get some mat sinks in LS6 even if it's just more places to use research notes.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

..btt posted:

Most ascended materials and all ascended gear are account bound. You can't trade it, you can only trade for most materials needed to craft it. It's likely cheaper to just buy the gear with, e.g. strike tokens and gold though.

Oh, right, for ascended sure. I just use exotic for everything :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a single ascended item, a greatsword that dropped off Teq. I do not believe that ascended gear changes numbers and is just a way to gently caress with people who play other MMOs and need the concept of a gear treadmill

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Ascended gear gives like 5% more stats than exotic, so it’s unnecessary outside of Fractals where you need it for the agony resist slots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ascended weapons are the most important piece because while ascended items have 5% higher stats then exotic, the base weapon damage is also higher, meaning about 10% more damage.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the real important thing about ascended gear is crit capping, if you're running exos make sure you have extra precision!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I decided to start playing this again since 2015. Should I drop my lvl 80 boost one of my characters? I already have a lvl 80 Elementalist but I have no idea where I left off with them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's also 100% required to do higher level fractals where the real money making and ascended drops are at, here is someone's post I found on a quick google about ascended vs exotic.

Run with ascended weapons and amulet/rings/accessories if you can afford them, amulets are cheap from laurels, fractals flood you with berserker/celestial rings and spending a day or two in any season 3/4 area will let you fill in accessories.

Monolith. posted:

So I decided to start playing this again since 2015. Should I drop my lvl 80 boost one of my characters? I already have a lvl 80 Elementalist but I have no idea where I left off with them.

The 80 boost gives you a full suit of celestial gear which is good on a lot of characters, especially elementalist, but might be better to get a new character up to 80 that likes celestial like engineer/guardian/revenant, once you use the boost you'll have a shared inventory slot you can make use of, a good use of that spot is the infinite copper-fed salvage kit and the 250 use mystic salvage kits.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not really playing right now but doing the daily login just because.

Saw the new Lunar bunny helmet and... I don't need it. I DONT. It's not cute at all, stop looking at me!!!

Found on reddit.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the bunny helmet is great design. works for cute, cartoon-y looks but just as easily works for a Hotline Miami styled serial killer

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Do keep in mind Ascended vs Exotic is a little deceptive, because in any serious content you'll have full boons at all times. Among other things, the permanent 25 might stacks and to a lesser extent food means ascended is a rather small increase in damage alone. It winds up being a higher increase if you don't have any might etc, something like 12% or whatever - so somewhat amusingly, it's actually more valuable outside of raid content than inside of it for any build that can't give itself lots of might solo.

The relative increase of each piece of gear holds true tho.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's also 100% required to do higher level fractals where the real money making and ascended drops are at...

Just to clarify, ascended equipment is only required for high level fractals because of the ability to hold Agony Resistance infusions, not because of the stats. Ascended Amulets are unable to hold infusions (they hold Enrichments), so just be aware of that.

from the op posted:

Agony Infusions can only be inserted into Ascended-tier equipment (with a few exceptions (1) (2)). Ascended gear is never soulbound, so you are able to move your ascended equipment (and the infusions) to other characters. A full set of upgraded ascended equipment will give you 18 Infusion slots - 6 from armor, 2 from your currently equipped weapon, 1 each from accessories, 2 from an Infused backpiece, and 3 each from rings (1 base, 1 from Infusing, and 1 from Attuning)

15 infusion slots filled with +9 infusions will get you to 135 AR, then adding the +15 temporary resistance from the Tear of Alba potion will allow you to not die horribly at any level (from agony, at least). Getting these infusion slots is reachable with a variety of equipment combinations, but here's a few I would recommend going for:
  • 6 armor, 1 backpack, 2 accessories, 6 rings - avoids having to commit to a particular weapon type, but requires a lot of fractal relics or lucky drops to fully upgrade your rings.
  • 6 armor, 2 weapon, 1 backpack, 2 accessories, 4 rings - if you don't have the materials to Infuse your rings, this allows you to bypass that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, you can do all content in the game (except fractals due to agony) in exotic gear and be fine, even raids, but if you can, grab a ascended weapon and amulet because those are both big and it doesn't hurt to have a enrichment going in your amulet over a long time playing, extra 20% exp from kills can be good while grinding masteries and 15% karma will add up, especially on wintersday.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I like ascended because you can stat swap it easily and also move it to a different character for when you get bored of your sexy human female and now want to be a big fat norn guy

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Look I'm not going to admit I spent an hour and a half learning the steam layout stuff so I could play reasonably ok with a controller and do fishing/quest stuff from bed on a tv, but I'm not saying I didn't just do that either.

Edit: Except it's terrible for quests because they half-override the actioncam for selecting things. Oh well, still good for fishing.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2023

namirie kairi
Aug 16, 2019

Samael posted:

Just downloaded the game and got to level 30 and feel a bit lacking in terms of direction of what to do, I picked Necromancer with a specialisation in my minions and have been fun so far, but should I just be fully completing every map as I go along? Also, the time on my mount seems to be running out, is there any way of getting another after that apart from spending money?

i recommend after you get 1 lvl 80 character to try out WvW if you find you enjoy it alot more then doing the story like i did just farm up the tomes of knowledge and send em to other characters ive gotten 5 lvl 80s this way

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
WvW been active on maguuma these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

WvW been active on maguuma these days.

it's reset night