Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Do sanguophages regenerate lost fingers and toes, and if so, how long does it take? I could swear I read that somewhere, but mine does not appear to be doing so. Maybe it just hasn't been long enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Kestral posted:

Do sanguophages regenerate lost fingers and toes, and if so, how long does it take? I could swear I read that somewhere, but mine does not appear to be doing so. Maybe it just hasn't been long enough?

No, they regen scars, but not missing limbs/organs.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Does anyone else find that their bases are constantly on fire, covered in puke and being raided while everyone is in hospital due to wounds and illness until it's saved by the appearance of some refugees who just fix everything up? Every game I feel like I'm on the verge of a nervous meltdown until these saviours just fix all of the problems in the base, and then calmly leave while merely thanking you for being able to stay.
Like benevolent gods roaming the earth.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some dos and donts:

Putting anything flammable near/in wooden buildings, it will ruin a colony. Especially batteries, but most electrics. Do not use wooden doors as a fire 'outside' can quickly become a fire 'inside' if you have a wooden door.

Most people would simply say "no wood buildings".

Prioritize cleaning work on your stupidest, most replaceable pawn over other work.

Don't prioritize cleaning on your fighters because when they're injured nobody will clean up after them.

Don't let your medical person be a fighter.

Don't let bad cooks cook food.

Keep the kitchen clean.

Force raiders to step on wooden traps.

You just solved: fire, food poisoning, cleanliness, and injury through the mid-game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chatrapati posted:

Does anyone else find that their bases are constantly on fire, covered in puke and being raided while everyone is in hospital due to wounds and illness until it's saved by the appearance of some refugees who just fix everything up? Every game I feel like I'm on the verge of a nervous meltdown until these saviours just fix all of the problems in the base, and then calmly leave while merely thanking you for being able to stay.
Like benevolent gods roaming the earth.

Almost all of my early game problems are caused by not having enough nerds to haul poo poo around, having a group of five show up all at once is a god send for those moments

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also whenever I implant a mechanitor chip and the first robot is a constructor instead of a hauler, I consider blowing up the map

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can use wooden doors for the lack of open speed malus, but you need to be serious about there being nothing, including a floor tile or a dirt tile which might someday grow a plant, flammable adjacent to them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Some mods include packed dirt you can build, but even in vanilla, concrete or flagstone porches are great ways to keep fire away from your doors.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you use stone doors outside of your prison, you are a psychopath

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

jokes posted:

Some dos and donts:

Putting anything flammable near/in wooden buildings, it will ruin a colony. Especially batteries, but most electrics. Do not use wooden doors as a fire 'outside' can quickly become a fire 'inside' if you have a wooden door.

Most people would simply say "no wood buildings".

Prioritize cleaning work on your stupidest, most replaceable pawn over other work.

Don't prioritize cleaning on your fighters because when they're injured nobody will clean up after them.

Don't let your medical person be a fighter.

Don't let bad cooks cook food.

Keep the kitchen clean.

Force raiders to step on wooden traps.

You just solved: fire, food poisoning, cleanliness, and injury through the mid-game.

Thanks for the tips, though I mostly just wanted to give my appreciation to those roaming wonders.

I feel like, you need to first get to a point where you aren't juggling cooking/putting out fires/patching wounds before you can worry about things like cleaning or cutting stone.

Not using wooden doors sounds like a recipe for getting eaten by a lion.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

uranium autodoors for your random-rear end storage rooms, as a power move

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I swear it feels that keeping up with cleaning has been way more difficult since Biotech but hell if I know why. Maybe it's just because it's a lot easier to make good colonists out of the usual dregs with gene therapy so the usual useless idiots aren't doing their custodial duties.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chatrapati posted:

Thanks for the tips, though I mostly just wanted to give my appreciation to those roaming wonders.

I feel like, you need to first get to a point where you aren't juggling cooking/putting out fires/patching wounds before you can worry about things like cleaning or cutting stone.

Not using wooden doors sounds like a recipe for getting eaten by a lion.

The alternative is using wooden building materials and having everyone die in a fire!

Traditionally I find that you can start with wood but the first time a fire breaks out it'll be a Major Lesson in why wood is a terrible building material. Having to use wooden buildings is also a major reason why tribal starts are very difficult: you don't get stonecutting for a while, so you're always one dry thunderstorm away from losing it all. And then, once you do get stonecutting, it's a major labor tax to change all your wooden buildings into stone buildings. Especially floors.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Which is why you should tunnel straight into a mountain as a tribal. You can build durable buildings outside once you get stonecutting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And live as a troglodyte? Please. I'll commit my brutal war crimes out in the sun as God intended

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I frequently use stone doors in places where I don't mind leaving the door held open.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stone door to my battery room, but a line of wooden floor tiles to a single wooden wall in the exterior.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think people are way too worried about fires and wooden buildings. Lightning strikes and zzst events are trivial to contain if you've got anyone remotely nearby who can walk and fight fires. If you don't have someone like that who can drop everything and deal with the fire, then something else has gone really horribly wrong already.

A fire might make a catastrophe far worse, but if you know what you're doing it's not going to cause a catastrophe by itself, and it's only an issue if you're already dealing with a catastrophe.

Yeah, if you've got nothing better to do, stone is a pretty big improvement, but it's always a low priority for me.

Except for exterior walls. If it's up against the open woods that's a lot more dangerous. Especially if it's covering an area far away from where your colonists usually hang out.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I have plenty of pyromaniacs and simply stone everything stonable, except for internal doors which are wood autodoors for expedience or marble for fancy reasons. Bedroom doors should probably be marble or stone, they get opened once or twice a day.

Other than that, stoned lifestyle.

Stone tiles, smoothed stone, perfect and beauteous

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you need a wooden wall desperately you can help protect it from fire by extending the roof 2 tiles out in front of it. Plants won’t be able to grow under the roof, and fire won’t be able to jump 3 tiles across the bare dirt to get to your wall.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm grumbling in rage about all this darkness, this 1 roof tile makes it pitch black and I INSIST on walking through this way every time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm grumbling in rage about all this darkness, this 1 roof tile makes it pitch black and I INSIST on walking through this way every time
One time I had lunch while walking underneath the roof and didn’t even get to eat at a table! This place sucks, I’m gonna snort all the cocaine about it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m loving PISSED this married woman rejected me. Then to make matters worse I didn’t want to wait for my meal to finish cooking so I went into the larder and ate 20% of a cow carcass— raw.

gently caress everything, I’m gonna go dig up a dead body and drop it right in the cafeteria

Ahhh, catharsis

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
https://youtu.be/jYhWj79Aubo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only place for pyromaniacs in my fortress is in the gas tank of my freight plane, and even then only after some necessary adjustments

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I have plenty of pyromaniacs and simply stone everything stonable, except for internal doors which are wood autodoors for expedience or marble for fancy reasons. Bedroom doors should probably be marble or stone, they get opened once or twice a day.

Other than that, stoned lifestyle.

Stone tiles, smoothed stone, perfect and beauteous

Danaru posted:

The only place for pyromaniacs in my fortress is in the gas tank of my freight plane, and even then only after some necessary adjustments

Brief moment of confusion before I remembered I installed a mod that just makes Pyromaniac want fires nearby (and only set them during mental breaks, if at all). Does mean I need to maintain torches and campfires well into the chemfuel/electric era, but it adds another resource management factor instead of just occasional bouts of annoyance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I use stone autodoors for prisons and at my exterior walls, but all other doors are wood.

I use wood walls when I am just starting out and for caravans stopped at a mining site or whatever.

For me refugees aren't as useful as they used to be because I have robots doing all of the hauling and cleaning. I have to make up a bunch of work, e.g. "I guess we could cut blocks from all of the stone chunks on the edge of the map" is a nice little bonus but not critical

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My autodoors are usually made from glass due to my modding poisoning, it's the same speed as wood but less HP, but also it looks cooler and that makes my brain do the good chemicals.

Peoples' rooms get wood though, I'm not uncivilized

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

jokes posted:

I’m loving PISSED this married woman rejected me. Then to make matters worse I didn’t want to wait for my meal to finish cooking so I went into the larder and ate 20% of a cow carcass— raw.

gently caress everything, I’m gonna go dig up a dead body and drop it right in the cafeteria

Ahhh, catharsis

lol yeah one of my pawns is always on the edge of a minor break because he:

- repeatedly strikes out with the married woman whose wedding he officiated
- eats his meal in a dark cave or outside in the pouring rain
- always goes for survival meals instead of the lavish meals next to them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HolHorsejob posted:

I have a mod that adds implantable brain bombs and I swear to poo poo I'm going to start using them if my goons don't stop eating the travel supplies

Serf
May 5, 2011

After reloading a bunch of times and trying the fight over, I did manage to beat the raiders by using what time I had to concentrate my people inside the mountain portion of my base with turrets and one good door between us and the opponents. I stationed my melee monster in the doorway and all my shooters behind her and it took a long time to break them, but eventually it happened. She was basically untouchable, but was reduced to nearly dead before it ended, lost a ton of fingers and toes, and the raiders razed most of my base in the process. We did live, but I decided to call it there. I was noticing the game lagging a lot, and I think I just had too much stuff for my computer to handle, so I'm gonna start over and try to keep my next base more slimmed down and engage more with caravans and exploration.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

You can fix that third one - forbid the survival meals. Caravans can still haul them + eat them, but pawns on your map will ignore them.

I keep all of my survival meals and pemmican on a specific set of shelves in my storage area, outside of the range of a trade beacon, next to a bunch of bed rolls. Easy to load up for a caravan, easy to double-click and forbid all of the stacks at once

You might be able to fix that first one by finding him a girlfriend, now that the game lets you order pawns to try and romance other pawns

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Through a combination of patience, luck, and some light cheating via mods (transport shuttle specifically, to hit a half-dozen friendly outposts for trading in the span of a few days), my most recent colony has accumulated some extremely powerful xenogenes and enough archite capsules to implant them into all of my combat-oriented colonists. The most recent raid was ~25 outlanders against four colonists who were/had:
  • deathless
  • scarless
  • unstoppable
  • superfast (400%) wound healing
  • superclotting
in addition to being full of bionic/archotech parts and having marine armor and pulse-charged weapons.

This would make for some great storytelling from the attackers who survived and fled, like

quote:

"How did we lose? You weren't there -- yeah, there were only four of them, but they all had heavy power armor and pulse weapons, and I don't care what they look like, they are not baseliners. I took one of them down with a bullet to the heart; I figured she was dead since the rest of them just left her there, didn't even try patching her up or anything. Turns out, not only was she not dead, but toward the end of the battle she got back up and kept fighting -- she killed two more of us before we could get the hell out of there.

That actually happened; superclotting and scarless make it unnecessary to rush to treat wounds, so everyone else could either continue fighting or stay safely indoors. I hadn't realized superfast wound healing could be effective enough to bring someone back from pain shock during a fight, though :unsmigghh:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

QuarkJets posted:

You can fix that third one - forbid the survival meals. Caravans can still haul them + eat them, but pawns on your map will ignore them.

I keep all of my survival meals and pemmican on a specific set of shelves in my storage area, outside of the range of a trade beacon, next to a bunch of bed rolls. Easy to load up for a caravan, easy to double-click and forbid all of the stacks at once

I use the Flickable Storage mod to set a couple shelves to storage only, so pawns will put meals there but won't take them out to eat. They'll still pick them up when added to caravans, and I don't have to remember to re-forbid stacks whenever I hit the button to allow everything on the map.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Is there a mod to make in-game encyclopedias even slightly useful? When I look up a solar generator, I'm not looking for its cover effectiveness

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You can also just set up 2 food profiles. A home one that excludes Survival meals/pemmican and a travel one that allows everything. Then just flick between them when you send people on caravan and you don't need to do anything weird with storing your survival meals

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HolHorsejob posted:

Is there a mod to make in-game encyclopedias even slightly useful? When I look up a solar generator, I'm not looking for its cover effectiveness

i just alt tab to the wiki

Zore posted:

You can also just set up 2 food profiles. A home one that excludes Survival meals/pemmican and a travel one that allows everything. Then just flick between them when you send people on caravan and you don't need to do anything weird with storing your survival meals

:eyepop:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zore posted:

What inevitably happens is that I forget to switch the food restrictions until I get a pop-up telling me the caravan is starving, or I forget to switch it after they get back and I don't notice until they've eaten a whole bunch of the stockpile. Not a problem with my solution.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

What inevitably happens is that I forget to switch the food restrictions until I get a pop-up telling me the caravan is starving, or I forget to switch it after they get back and I don't notice until they've eaten a whole bunch of the stockpile. Not a problem with my solution.

Yeah I too forget to switch them, I prefer to just forbid my survival meals - you don't even have to unforbid them or anything, caravans will eat them still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

Dareon posted:

Also the best hydroponics packing scheme I saw starts with a swastika.

RimWorld: The best hydroponics packing scheme starts with a swastika.

lunar detritus posted:

when you have a genital-shaped hammer...

Slow your roll there, Peter Gabriel.