Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
TIl the swedish no-turret tank also had a gas turbine engine, the world's first in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Are there not M60s sitting around in a warehouse somewhere?

oh my god they almost started trying to sell M60 frankensteined up with M1A1 turrets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60-2000

shockingly nobody bought them and the prototype was disassembled

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Endman posted:

this reminds me of when they turned geo-tags on on 4chan’s /pol/ board and every ultranationalist slapfight between nations in the Balkans, Baltic or any part of Eastern Europe was just Finns fighting each other

Lmao wut anyone got link

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

lol fondly remembering when i was a big enough dope to post epic lines like this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Realistically, Ukraine needs to replace the 2 destroyed tank brigades, plus whatever else, so unless they get the entire Challenger park, it seems to me NATO is content to watch them die a slow death, without reclaiming territory, which Ukraine is slowly becoming aware of, and will try to draw NATO into the conflict as a result.

I don't think that we’re currently building any of the export versions of the Abrams so if they could be sourced a modernized M-60 would be a pretty good bet.

How many Challengers does England even produce these days?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mediocre gbs meltdown btw totally unoriginal 4/10

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

doverhog posted:

Actually, I'm a defender of democracy and human rights, in the face of fascism and lies.

thread title please

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Part of the problem with the assumption that the US can just ship hundreds of Abrams to Ukraine like it's easy is that while hundreds of Abrams and other vehicles are sitting in the desert, the heavy equipment is mostly in an open-air desert storage facility. To get them operational would require a major government work order and months+ to return them to service. They're more of a spare parts yard and "in case of major US war, activate this" kind of storage area, not just turn-key ready tanks. Sure, it's very dry and doesn't have a real problem with grass and brush growing up into the vehicles, but still.

If you look at that, you can practically hear dry metal on metal scraping.

40.19424064166906, -120.14051476533764

Or you can watch this US government approved video about the Sierra Army Depot complete with canned music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHRMpaupIHk

When US operational units request items which may come from Sierra, sometimes it's a direct shipment. Other times the answer is "we have the part, and it will take us x number of days to refurbish and test it before shipping." Which can range from quick and reasonable, like a day or two to check out a crate engine to weeks as they have to basically rebuild a transmission for some legacy truck that almost no one uses anymore. Or they might just tell you it would be faster and more affordable to order some bespoke part from a civilian truck repair yard...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

oh my god they almost started trying to sell M60 frankensteined up with M1A1 turrets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60-2000

shockingly nobody bought them and the prototype was disassembled

The super m60 was not a bad deal in wargame red dragon imo, but it was no t-55m matti

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Part of the problem with the assumption that the US can just ship hundreds of Abrams to Ukraine like it's easy is that while hundreds of Abrams and other vehicles are sitting in the desert, the heavy equipment is mostly in an open-air desert storage facility. To get them operational would require a major government work order and months+ to return them to service. They're more of a spare parts yard and "in case of major US war, activate this" kind of storage area, not just turn-key ready tanks. Sure, it's very dry and doesn't have a real problem with grass and brush growing up into the vehicles, but still.

If you look at that, you can practically hear dry metal on metal scraping.

40.19424064166906, -120.14051476533764

Or you can watch this US government approved video about the Sierra Army Depot complete with canned music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHRMpaupIHk

When US operational units request items which may come from Sierra, sometimes it's a direct shipment. Other times the answer is "we have the part, and it will take us x number of days to refurbish and test it before shipping." Which can range from quick and reasonable, like a day or two to check out a crate engine to weeks as they have to basically rebuild a transmission for some legacy truck that almost no one uses anymore. Or they might just tell you it would be faster and more affordable to order some bespoke part from a civilian truck repair yard...

Fun fact: Sierra actually makes the government about $17 for each dollar spent because of the cash they make scrapping old equipment and selling parts to overseas customers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s not like Ukraine can maintain any of this, so sure, send S-Tanks, Chieftains, Conquerors, Challengers. France apparently had Panthers in storage into the 60’s so rustle one of those up.

If they’re just making political gestures and emptying forgotten warehouses, you may as well have fun.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maintenance seems like the part where the US government keeps trying to spell it out (they don't want to be responsible for fixing every Ukrainian tank, even if Ukraine ships them back over the border to Poland or Germany or whatever), but doesn't quite want to say bluntly "I don't want to have to fix all of Ukraine's materiel with my personnel for an indeterminate amount of time."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s not like Ukraine can maintain any of this, so sure, send S-Tanks, Chieftains, Conquerors, Challengers. France apparently had Panthers in storage into the 60’s so rustle one of those up.

If they’re just making political gestures and emptying forgotten warehouses, you may as well have fun.

I assumed that parts, training, and support came as part of the package. Otherwise, yeah, why bother?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

nah, finns are asexual. After inventing spurdo they achieved immortality.

tell that to the sami, whose reindeer herds finns raped to death.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

some people get anxiety in the form of their weedbrain trying to tell them they are having a cardiac emergency. not like feeling the vibes are off

One of the few things scientists know for sure about marijuana and cardiovascular health is that people with established heart disease who are under stress develop chest pain more quickly if they have been smoking marijuana than they would have otherwise. This is because of complex effects cannabinoids have on the cardiovascular system, including raising resting heart rate, dilating blood vessels, and making the heart pump harder. Research suggests that the risk of heart attack is several times higher in the hour after smoking marijuana than it would be normally.

While this does not pose a significant threat to people who have minimal cardiovascular risk, it should be a red flag for anyone with a history of heart disease. Although the evidence is weaker, there are also links to a higher risk of atrial fibrillation or ischemic stroke immediately following marijuana use. Consistent with these links, studies also suggest that marijuana smoking may increase the long-term death rate among heart attack survivors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endman posted:

this reminds me of when they turned geo-tags on on 4chan’s /pol/ board and every ultranationalist slapfight between nations in the Balkans, Baltic or any part of Eastern Europe was just Finns fighting each other

what’s going on up there? sauna brain?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

mawarannahr posted:

they lack culture of their own and seek to steal it from their neighbors

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

I'd guess boredom.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB10014.html

I found out that the RAND corporation wrote one of the most bloodthristy pieces i've seen about Russia. Look at this, lol:

quote:

Providing lethal aid to Ukraine would exploit Russia’s greatest point of external vulnerability. But any increase in U.S. military arms and advice to Ukraine would need to be carefully calibrated to increase the costs to Russia of sustaining its existing commitment without provoking a much wider conflict in which Russia, by reason of proximity, would have significant advantages.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Buffer posted:

Didn't canada disband some SF unit for war crimes and the result was they seeded units far and wide with bad apples?

Like as in the actual analogy where you let a bad apple stick around it rots the entire batch, and now they had psychos everywhere, not the one that stops at like three words and is used to be dismissive about culture problems.

its what closing down cspam would do

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why's it always eastern europe that draws takes out of cspammers that are indistinguishable from 4chan posts

gently caress off with the ironic racism that's been on the last few pages imo, it sucks, it's lazy on a level where it would suck even if you were making fun of the british which is impressively bad

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jazerus posted:

why's it always eastern europe that draws takes out of cspammers that are indistinguishable from 4chan posts

gently caress off with the ironic racism that's been on the last few pages imo, it sucks, it's lazy on a level where it would suck even if you were making fun of the british which is impressively bad

Is this about the ironic anti-Finnish racism? Because I'm Finnish and pretty sure most people here would be more offended by (apparently non-ironically) calling us eastern european than most of the ironic racism. Actually I think you managed to offend some nationalist part of my lizard brain, unlike all the no-effort ironic racism which was just boring, which is pretty funny whether you did that on purpose or not

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the Turk rears its head to rattle Christendom

https://www.rferl.org/a/turkey-russia-ukraine-local-cease-fires/32223446.html

quote:

Turkey on January 14 said it was ready to push for local cease-fires in Ukraine and warned that neither Moscow nor Kyiv had the military means to "win the war." President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's foreign policy adviser Ibrahim Kalin conceded it seemed unlikely the warring sides were ready to strike an "overarching peace deal" in the coming months. But he said that the brutal cost of fighting might soon see them reconsider and accept localized truces in specific parts of the war zone. NATO member Turkey hosted two early rounds of peace talks between Ukraine and Russia.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jazerus posted:

finally someone takes a stand against anti white racism, hopefully we can institute paper bag tests before someone makes a post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

would suck even if you were making fun of the british

what are you talking about dude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Staltran posted:

Is this about the ironic anti-Finnish racism? Because I'm Finnish and pretty sure most people here would be more offended by (apparently non-ironically) calling us eastern european than most of the ironic racism. Actually I think you managed to offend some nationalist part of my lizard brain, unlike all the no-effort ironic racism which was just boring, which is pretty funny whether you did that on purpose or not

i think hes talking about that dixon post? that was 100% weird

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sum posted:

Apparently "western intelligence" thinks a huge mobilization wave is imminent in Russia
https://archive.ph/UbS17

I mean, seems like a reasonable thing to do if they can. There would have been a shitload less death and destruction if the Russians hadn't tried to run their dumb war on the cheap.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Staltran posted:

the subject of the thread is in eastern europe, i'm aware finns aren't in that cultural sphere

it's not really about whether a finn would be offended, it's just exactly what you said - boring. it's indistinguishable from a Gamer discord or whatever unflattering comparison you want to make to the rest of the internet. it sucks.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

repeating my petition to make this the genuine racism megathread

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the mod is right, people come in here with plenty of takes stupid enough to own themselves without getting insanely weird about stuff

otoh, if it were possible to be racist against the british that would still be objectively correct, hosed up to imply otherwise

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The mods are here to protect the real victims of racism, white nations who sided with the Nazis.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

OctaMurk posted:

The super m60 was not a bad deal in wargame red dragon imo, but it was no t-55m matti

M1IP or (lol) the loving Starships if i played US. i think they were kinda point inefficient in wargame but just look at it

it had a 152mm gun/launcher that could load HE/HEAT or an early secondish generation ATGM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn6YH_4nYEA. it was kind of a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways in real life so naturally they built another (airborne) tank around using it and then developed another one that was eventually cancelled. i couldn't actually find if the shillelagh actually killed anything.

the soviet equivalent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M14_Malyutka) did though and it's still in use/reserve arsenals all over the place.

mawarannahr posted:

One of the few things scientists know for sure about marijuana and cardiovascular health is that people with established heart disease who are under stress develop chest pain more quickly if they have been smoking marijuana than they would have otherwise. This is because of complex effects cannabinoids have on the cardiovascular system, including raising resting heart rate, dilating blood vessels, and making the heart pump harder. Research suggests that the risk of heart attack is several times higher in the hour after smoking marijuana than it would be normally.

While this does not pose a significant threat to people who have minimal cardiovascular risk, it should be a red flag for anyone with a history of heart disease. Although the evidence is weaker, there are also links to a higher risk of atrial fibrillation or ischemic stroke immediately following marijuana use. Consistent with these links, studies also suggest that marijuana smoking may increase the long-term death rate among heart attack survivors.

cite your sources dangit https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/medical-marijuana-2018011513085. that's from an article written by https://twitter.com/peter_grinspoon who... huh actually he seems to be level headed. did not expect that given the bio.

anyway yeah the human endocannabinoid system regulates a hell of a lot. there are cannabinoid receptors in heart tissue, vascular tissue, all throughout the nervous system and activating them increase heart rate/blood pressure/sympathetic nervous system activation, which is kind of a short circuit of the classic fight or flight response chain and then the scromiting begins. it's not like weed is bad but more like you actually can smoke too much weed sometimes https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7355963/ is a recentish review

didn't actually know the thc -> cannibinoid receptor -> sympthetic activation chain was that direct. that does explain why weed just straight up triggers panic attacks in some people sometimes though. neat

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wouldn't catch me poking my head out of the driver's hatch. Someone traverses that turret and it'll snip your head clean off.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Staltran posted:

I'm Finnish...nationalist...
my lizard brain

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

What situation is that? The war Putin started, and is losing, by every imaginable metric?

I saw this and immediately clicked the "?" :munch:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just tell your men not to kill you. simple

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

M1IP or (lol) the loving Starships if i played US. i think they were kinda point inefficient in wargame but just look at it

it had a 152mm gun/launcher that could load HE/HEAT or an early secondish generation ATGM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn6YH_4nYEA. it was kind of a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways in real life so naturally they built another (airborne) tank around using it and then developed another one that was eventually cancelled. i couldn't actually find if the shillelagh actually killed anything.

the soviet equivalent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M14_Malyutka) did though and it's still in use/reserve arsenals all over the place.

cite your sources dangit https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/medical-marijuana-2018011513085. that's from an article written by https://twitter.com/peter_grinspoon who... huh actually he seems to be level headed. did not expect that given the bio.

anyway yeah the human endocannabinoid system regulates a hell of a lot. there are cannabinoid receptors in heart tissue, vascular tissue, all throughout the nervous system and activating them increase heart rate/blood pressure/sympathetic nervous system activation, which is kind of a short circuit of the classic fight or flight response chain and then the scromiting begins. it's not like weed is bad but more like you actually can smoke too much weed sometimes https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7355963/ is a recentish review

didn't actually know the thc -> cannibinoid receptor -> sympthetic activation chain was that direct. that does explain why weed just straight up triggers panic attacks in some people sometimes though. neat

I quit last week. i wish I knew more about how fuckin long it stays in your body and i think the strength of concentrates are an unresearched issue, especially with CHS. the physical withdrawal is no joke too. Russia does well to disallow carts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what the hell is a finn anyways? a type of dog?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

I quit last week. i wish I knew more about how fuckin long it stays in your body and i think the strength of concentrates are an unresearched issue, especially with CHS. the physical withdrawal is no joke too. Russia does well to disallow carts

I knocked off the booze and switched to edibles a while back and it's been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what the hell is a finn anyways? a type of dog?

they’re a people, rather keep to their own kind.

quote:

A study on the Finnish genome found that Finns are not only more homogenous compared to other Europeans, but also that they are genetically distinct from their neighboring populations and form outliers in the genetic variation within Europe.[72]