Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fiye posted:

USS Enterprise had one and it made enough money across two deployments that when we finally decommissioned they had enough money left over that they were covering 90% of your entertainment expenses (Concert tickets, movies, etc...) up to $500 a month for a good while.

I got so much ultra-discounted poo poo from the ship's MWR program due to everyone getting their sugar drink fix from the coffee shack. What the hell did they name the thing? It's been a while and I can't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/spawnofKahn/status/1613327011799306241?t=BZ7BPeK0NQaMXEFM41sGDw&s=19

I only visited ONI once during active duty for a predeployment thing and man did that place just reek of depression

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/spawnofKahn/status/1613327011799306241?t=BZ7BPeK0NQaMXEFM41sGDw&s=19

I only visited ONI once during active duty for a predeployment thing and man did that place just reek of depression

I like the pepe frog for the Moskva. I get the feeling this is not their official document.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Is there a joke there other than "the Moskva sunk lol" or what is the alt right meme supposed to mean?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Is there a joke there other than "the Moskva sunk lol" or what is the alt right meme supposed to mean?

I assume it has to be a joke, as far as I know the Alt-right is pro-russia, so it doesn't seem like something they would create something mentioning that it was sunk.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like the pepe frog for the Moskva. I get the feeling this is not their official document.

It's not on the original document - that's a user edit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A fair amount of this is Wikipedia-able stuff but when he gets to his own experiences and photos it gets decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY9NVvKrlMQ

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Used to routinely visit the NMIC. Good cafeteria. Pity it is out if the BAS budget for daily consumption.

There's a gym there that's outside of the SCIF area so people could workout with their personal electronics, but they kept forgetting to take them out and bringing them into the secure areas.

Buncha dipshits.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Norwegian Frigate discovering that the unknown "obstacle" was a tanker headed straight for them:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DaringWildLemming.mp4

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I guess this was the one that sunk?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, despite having a good shot at saving the boat.

E:

To quote the USN Handbook of damage control:

"If the ship does not sink within a very few minutes after damage, she probably will survive for several hours."

And I'm not idly shitposting above, I was part of the commissioning crew of the first ship in the class and that boat should by all accounts have made it to port even after getting a love-tap like that. The official reports also state this. Ugh. This poo poo pisses me off.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 16, 2023

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Most modern warships are built to take damage like this and still back to port, even if it's limping along. Mine did, but that may be more of a testament to the quick actions of the crew than anything else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Valley Stared posted:

Most modern warships are built to take damage like this and still back to port, even if it's limping along. Mine did, but that may be more of a testament to the quick actions of the crew than anything else.

Did any sailors not responsible for that clusterfuck get awards for their actions?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Valley Stared posted:

I’d argue the damage control efforts in your case was above and beyond what one could reasonably expect of the average sailor.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Did any sailors not responsible for that clusterfuck get awards for their actions?

Yup. Here's an article about it. https://news.usni.org/2017/10/20/u-s-7th-fleet-honors-36-uss-fitzgerald-sailors-bravery-damage-control-efforts. COMs all around! Great work team!

Apparently I was put in for something higher and so was my DCC, but I know I've never received anything more than the COM, and I don't know if he ever received anything for his actions.

Even so, securing systems and closing water-tight hatches will do a lot of the work to keep a ship afloat. I seem to recall there being a design "feature" for the Norweigan ship that contributed to it going down, but I might be misremembering that.

And I agree to an extent that what we did was above and beyond, but it shouldn't be. I do praise my DCC a LOT, but that's because people wanted to be around him and I think that was a huge contributing factor. DC was also important to the crew.

It's when DC becomes an "Engineering Problem" that situations like the one above become more likely.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"How I saved weight and cost by removing all these complex bulkheads, an MBA success story"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

"How I saved weight and cost by removing all these complex bulkheads, an MBA success story"

Watertight doors and hatches are not only expensive and unsightly, they require consistent maintenance to function properly. Plastic bead curtains promote good airflow and are a fraction of the cost with no required preventative maintenance. They can also be ordered in numerous fun colors (at this time, only haze grey is available) to increase crew morale. In addition, they give olfactory warning in the event of conflagration.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

But seriously, building warships to commercial ship subdivision standards was a thing that I think the French re-started with the Floreal-class corvettes, and it's spread everywhere.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The French haven't the nature for war. Their Latinate voluptuousness combines with their Gallic laziness and the result is they'd rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Whom'st among us does not enjoy voluptuous love with their faces more than scrubbing a bilge

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Never mind, I didn't read the context fully.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The French haven't the nature for war. Their Latinate voluptuousness combines with their Gallic laziness and the result is they'd rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haha, probed for a quote from General Webb who refused to attempt to lift the siege of Fort William Henry.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1615938204661604355?t=6GNi_T64eZpHtupnpKeveOOWHJviX7KUe7fXs_YVsHI&s=19

Lordy, we're still making these ships?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Contractor gots to get paid.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

It was a bulk buy, we're about done building the rest of them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

It was a bulk buy, we're about done building the rest of them.

They are building them faster than we can decomm them. We'll never be rid of them at this rate

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

They are building them faster than we can decomm them. We'll never be rid of them at this rate

I’m staring at two of those tri-hulls sitting in our mothball fleet right outside my office
This better have kept the yard from shutting down and aluminum welders working….

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Reopen Subic Bay, send over all the LCSs and reform the Far East Patrol Squadron

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I assure you, we are not building them quickly. I was supposed to be out of boats to build a couple years ago, instead I've still got 4 in various stages of construction up here.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Navy is like me and all my model boats. A bunch of useless junk in various stages of completion that is just depressing.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Swear to God, as I'm reading the tweet, before I get to your actual post, I said, "What the gently caress, we're still making those?"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone ever go on/serve on one of those? Wonder what the conditions are like, if it is worse to be deployed on than other ships. I imagine it must not spend much time far away from the coast, based on the name of the ship type, so maybe they get much more frequent port calls?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Anyone ever go on/serve on one of those? Wonder what the conditions are like, if it is worse to be deployed on than other ships. I imagine it must not spend much time far away from the coast, based on the name of the ship type, so maybe they get much more frequent port calls?

That’s assuming they can leave port before breaking down.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My buddys a port engineer for them and from the sound of it they are always broken.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

One came to SF for Fleet Week. I was distracted by the amount of unpainted aluminum inside, as well as unbelievable amounts of headroom in the passageways.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

Reopen Subic Bay, send over all the LCSs and reform the Far East Patrol Squadron

We may be halfway there already!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Christ, the depths of depravity that went on in Olangapo *before* the age of smartphones...that's gonna end SO many loving careers.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Oh sweet Subic fits right in on the Guam-Naha-Busan run. I'm not sure if the China Express runs can hit it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There’s a couple positions for baby’s first civilian IT jobs at Bangor/Bremerton available.
Requires sec+ and secret.
Contractor positions but the reason we have them open is that the guys who previously had them got hired on by gov or the big boys of MIC.
PM if interested for more details. And no these aren’t printer tech positions under me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1616916608118829056?s=20&t=XyYkpFTaPucSOWi6dC-Ciw

Good museum exhibit