Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Her answer is basically "gently caress you, too bad" - like, not an ounce of contrition or even feigned empathy

Even the usual racist replies below have the awareness to do the "Sorry that happened to you, but" business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

thebardyspoon posted:

What's incredible to me is just how hard Truss has been memory holed frankly, like she blew a massive hole in the economy 3 months ago and you basically never hear her mentioned or interviewed at all.

It's pretty good to be able to say to anyone that thinks Rishi is doing well, that he still lost to Truss. He's officially worse than the worst

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

None of what they're doing is new, they're just not even bothering to gussy
Ah, the American Dialect Association word of the year.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I saw a Tesla on the m25 today which had 'ORG4SM' as its numberplate and I've been thinking all day about the chain of events and thought process which would lead a person to have that numberplate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

I saw a Tesla on the m25 today which had 'ORG4SM' as its numberplate and I've been thinking all day about the chain of events and thought process which would lead a person to have that numberplate.

you can ask him about it ITT

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dead Goon posted:

She's very concerned about the plans to build a Mega-incinerator in my town, apparently.

The gas chambers too, probably.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

The gas chambers too, probably.

We're talking about Truss, so presumably her main concern is ensuring that a company that has paid a suitable amount in bribes donations gets the contract

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

I saw a Tesla on the m25 today which had 'ORG4SM' as its numberplate and I've been thinking all day about the chain of events and thought process which would lead a person to buy a Tesla.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

While I get that Braverman has a job to serve the main goal of this government i.e. placate the right wing ultra maniacs, I hate her more than any cabinet member ever and pray that even a small percentage of the spite, cruelty and malice she has attempted to spread in this country is reflected back on her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

While I get that Braverman has a job to serve the main goal of this government i.e. placate the right wing ultra maniacs, I hate her more than any cabinet member ever and pray that even a small percentage of the spite, cruelty and malice she has attempted to spread in this country is reflected back on her.

happens every time she looks in a mirror before realising it's herself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

just kidding she has no reflection

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Only Kindness posted:

I saw a Tesla on the m25 today which had 'ORG4SM' as its numberplate and I've been thinking all day about the chain of events and thought process which would lead a person to buy a Tesla.

Yeah I wonder why someone might buy the third best selling car in the uk this year. Sad that people here are still desperately trying to cling to the narrative that they are bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I wonder why someone might buy the third best selling car in the uk this year. Sad that people here are still desperately trying to cling to the narrative that they are bad.

https://twitter.com/mahkusg/status/1579655753174253568

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's actually really good when my car spontaneously combusts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did a sick skid stop and almost ended up in a drainage ditch getting out of the way of an ambulance the other day, i bet if I'd tried to do it in a tesla it would have tried to download an update for the brakes, swerved back into the road and tried to run over the oncoming traffic and also caught fire.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

"They must be good because people keep going for them" he says, in the 13th year of continuous Tory government

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reminder that the Lada Riva was an incredibly popular car in the UK in the 80s, the UK just likes poo poo cars.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If i could afford an electric car i'd probably get a Nissan Leaf.

Though in saying that i don't really do enough miles these days to justify owning a car at all (once a month to get my prescription + shopping). :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody buys teslas they just lease them and don’t read the fine print when they insure them so they don’t insure the batteries, then get hit with 5 figures left to pay to their finance company after the insurance pays out on the car that just got written off for something silly like a cracked windscreen because the part was on back order for 18 months and it was cheaper than hiring them a car for that long.

It’s pretty funny tbqh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Reminder that the Lada Riva was an incredibly popular car in the UK in the 80s, the UK just likes poo poo cars.

my granny had a lada samara to follow on after her rear engine skoda

both seemed pretty fun tbh, wouldn't mind either of them, especially the skoda it had awesome early 80's dials. Sure it ran on leaded petrol but that's fine :v:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is all extremely funny when we remember this all kicked off with this dickhead boasting, unprompted, to Greta Thunberg about his cars.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

both seemed pretty fun tbh, wouldn't mind either of them, especially the skoda it had awesome early 80's dials. Sure it ran on leaded petrol but that's fine :v:
There's a company in Hampshire who take old cars, gut them and fit them with modern engines and electrics. Their most common job is apparently e-type Jags but I always thought it would be funny to take a shitbox like a Lada and have it done up like that.

Then again, back when I used to have a powerful (for its time) PC, I used to think it was funny to put it in an old beige RM case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both of those are fun ideas IMO.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There are some really good EVs now from people that aren't Tesla. A friend has an electric Fiat 500 and it's really cute, full of neat toys but the toys have actual buttons so you don't need to navigate menus on a featureless touchscreen while driving a big block of lithium. The local Seat garage has a Cupra Born which is basically them doing a luxury brand to eat Tesla's lunch, but it's also a sensible size for a non-Californian road and knows about things like rain.

gently caress it, even if you had the money and just wanted an answer to "what if Tesla, but not made by a twat" there's Lucid, which was set up by ex Tesla people.

A few years ago there's an argument that there needed to be a blunt instrument like Tesla to actually bamboozle enough people into going all in on EVs but now the infrastructure is there, and every time Musk opens his mouth the things depreciate so fast that it's almost a selling point that they write themselves off before the batteries degrade enough to make them completely unsaleable. There's almost no reason for anyone who can afford one to buy one except inertia or chud-signalling.They're not the only game in town for that kind of person any more.

So yeah, let competitor EVs take off and become widespread enough to take chunks out of the petrochemical industries keeping everyone car reliant, start converting all the Esso's into all night convenience stores and local libraries and bike repair shops and whatnot, and start putting serious money into affordable mass transit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the stupid iphone design is a big thing I don't like about EVs and teslas in particular, and also I'm only ever going to drive old cars anyway so unless the batteries still work 10 years down the line they're no use to me whatsoever.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cars are just eye wateringly expensive now (along with most other things I suppose), and to make it worse it seems a lot of the smaller decent options are being replaced with horrible crossovers and SUVs. Once the four year agreement mine was on ended in the second half of 2022 I just bought mine out as it was by far and away the cheapest option open to me (and I really liked the car).

As it turned out I'm now living somewhere where the shops/town centre/relatives are in easy walking distance, and I work from home most days. Its actually really nice, plus I've been living here for a month and a half now and I've lost 2KG without really trying.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Teslas like driving into emergency vehicles, so I have read.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Isomermaid posted:

So yeah, let competitor EVs take off and become widespread enough to take chunks out of the petrochemical industries keeping everyone car reliant, start converting all the Esso's into all night convenience stores and local libraries and bike repair shops and whatnot, and start putting serious money into affordable mass transit.

You mean charging stations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

If i could afford an electric car i'd probably get a Nissan Leaf.

If I could afford an electric car, I'd be glad I could pay for my Zones 1-5 season ticket.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

my granny had a lada samara to follow on after her rear engine skoda

Both of those beat the gently caress out of a Tesla simply cos they're easily owner repairable.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

This is all extremely funny when we remember this all kicked off with this dickhead boasting, unprompted, to Greta Thunberg about his cars.

i bet some car nerds are furious they didn’t specify which models in the headline

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a company in Hampshire who take old cars, gut them and fit them with modern engines and electrics. Their most common job is apparently e-type Jags but I always thought it would be funny to take a shitbox like a Lada and have it done up like that.
I'd like to do that with a Trabant 601. The problem of having a battery/dynamo gauge and no fuel gauge is self-solving :v:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Then again, back when I used to have a powerful (for its time) PC, I used to think it was funny to put it in an old beige RM case.
:toot: I did that with an old HP office desktop case once. They're better cases too.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the stupid iphone design is a big thing I don't like about EVs and teslas in particular
The best vehicle I ever had was an old Hilux, pretty much everything in the driver cab (other than the major controls) was just standard parts that you could get from a radio shop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's something that's really annoying with a lot of stuff, appliances, cars, electronics. Who the gently caress likes touch screens? Ok they're sensible for some things, like a tablet PC sure and maybe a phone although phones should still have keyboards, but why does a loving cooker need to be a flat slab of glass?

loving space nerds and their aesthetics over function horseshit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do it with one of these:

And those Cupra EVs seemed really popular when I was in Barcelona over the summer. Or at least, they were being advertised to gently caress. The music festival I was at had a big Cupra stage

OwlFancier posted:

but why does a loving cooker need to be a flat slab of glass?

My Smeg (hehe) cooker is hella nice, it's a flat induction pane with built in display stuff, but it's all controlled by big chunky dials mmm

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

hy does a loving cooker need to be a flat slab of glass?

I don't miss cleaning my old gas hob that's for sure.

RE: EV fires etc. Exploding Teslas is a funny meme and Musk is an utter peanut but any fire that involves an EV is given massively disproportionate coverage worldwide giving a highly misleading perspective on the risk they actually pose. By any measure EVs are significantly less likely to catch fire than combustion vehicles so it's difficult to see it as anything other than petrochemical industry FUD to be honest.

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Flat glass cooking surface: good
Flat glass controls while cooking: less good

Same with my TV, every part of that is tending towards being a flat bit of glass with a power cord, but even the fancier remotes are still tactile.

OwlFancier posted:

Executing a three point turn, 2030:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The top being easy to clean is good but pissing about with the hold-to-activate touch controls is loving poo poo. Shithouse cooker manufacturers can afford to add some loving knobs.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Touchscreen controls in cars absolutely need to gently caress off though. Tactile control is important when you need to concentrate on driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

It's something that's really annoying with a lot of stuff, appliances, cars, electronics. Who the gently caress likes touch screens? Ok they're sensible for some things, like a tablet PC sure and maybe a phone although phones should still have keyboards, but why does a loving cooker need to be a flat slab of glass?

cheap