Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't know how many times I've ever done a replacement upgrade myself. Definitely low single digits.

The thing is, to get offered the replacements you have to have a full set of core boons, and by that time you should be well on your way to having a build strat. The core boon that's become the center of your build probably have 3 or 4 other boons that synergize with it by the time you get an offer for a heroic replacement. Replacing a common broseidon attack is not optimal if you also have rupture and pounding and are looking for sea storm from zeus. Those secondary upgrades are worth way more than a big boost to attack damage.

And if the replacement offer is hitting a boon that is not the center of your build, it's only worth taking if you aren't getting offered anything else particularly useful. Like, changing cast from athena to artemis for more damage is fine if the rest of my build is broseidon-zeus combos and my cast is just there for the ride. But I'd take PP first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
my ultimate Hades run, after playing it way too much during covid and then picking it back up again recently

Heat 34 atheist run

Took me about 6 tries to get it done. A bunch of the heat is basically free if you're purging all boons anyway, you don't lose much by locking off the bottom half of the mirror. Hestia rail + shattered shackle leaves you fairly overpowered through the first bit, and you only really fall behind the damage curve midway through act 3.

I thought I was going to get it on my first try, was on H35 with EM4 and entered the last fight with 3 DDs. Then the first miniboss was butterfly ball and I took a bunch of chip damage clearing it. 2nd miniboss was... double loving butterfly ball. No good way to clear out butterflies left me losing all 3 DDs to get through that phase, and I died early in phase 3.

2nd try, I was still set to reroll rewards instead of rooms, and I was forced to take a boon to get the satyr sack. Still tried to finish up the run, only 1 DD left, 1st miniboss is butterfly ball. gently caress. 2nd miniboss, again somehow, 2 loving butterfly balls. Promptly die.

Then I messed around with the heat settings to get rid of EM4 but make the rest of the run slightly tougher and had 2 runs where I was railroaded into taking one of the unpurgeable boons because now I couldn't reroll rewards. Died anyway. Lost another run to a tough Rat/Satyr miniboss fight in the tunnels.

And finally, got handed a run so perfect that I got to keep Patroclus' jerky all the way to the final fight. Suck it Olympus, I don't need your help.

also now the dash key on my controller is broken and I literally can't play anymore. I think I should wait for Hades 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I don't know if I could do high heat with the Rail. I have a good rhythm with dash-cancelling the Reload by putting it on L1 instead of R3 but it would still be tough to manage when the encounters get super intense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lobok posted:

What's everyone's favourite Keepsake to use in Styx? Lately I've been using the one that gives a % damage boost for each Encounter cleared without taking damage to try and get at least a 10% overall boost by the time I fight Hades.

I usually just grab Pom Blossom and keep it all game. It's probably better to switch off it after an act or two once it's upgraded your early, important boons but I'm lazy and most of the good keepsakes are early game-focused anyways.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I hope the sequel does what dead cells does and gives us more biomes and branching paths through them to make each run more varied. One of the reasons I didn't get 100% completion in Hades 1 was that I got so bored of seeing the same 4 levels time after time and it caused me to fall off the game.

Speaking of, were there ever any mods made for this game that added new levels, monsters, weapons, abilities, story content, or boons? With a game this beloved I'd imagine someone somewhere has done something? Can't find much on Nexus though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lobok posted:

Because I know you were all dying for an update I finally got my Zeus Legendary Boon. Filled out that prophecy but even nicer was completing the Pacts prophecy. Good shot in the arm to get 15 blood all at once to beef up some Aspects.

What's everyone's favourite Keepsake to use in Styx? Lately I've been using the one that gives a % damage boost for each Encounter cleared without taking damage to try and get at least a 10% overall boost by the time I fight Hades.
i'm currently trying to get the pierced butterfly achievement, but normally i use the pom until the last cabinet, where i swap to the tooth to give me an extra defiance. I can't imagine swapping to pierced butterfly late, only the boss rooms in Styx count for it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lobok posted:

In no particular order:
Can never go wrong with skelly tooth, it's nice insurance particularly in higher heat runs where you've activated EM4.
Collar can help make up for low health if you didn't pick up too many satyr hearts prior to styx
Black Shawl is an easy +20% damage to Hades since it's usually easy to get behind him
Sigil if I don't have a call at that point

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The pierced butterfly and lambent plume are really bad in Styx: the mini-rooms don't count as encounters. Only the final room for each pathway. If you want to use either of those, you really want to be using them for the whole run.

Pom Blossom OTOH does count mini-rooms as encounters, so it's fairly good in Styx. The other nice one in Styx is Charon's Hourglass: pumping up the duration of the damage boost items means you can probably take them all the way into the Hades fight. Kinda a gamble though.

If you're running heat options that increase enemy damage and want more life, the acorn is generally seen as the best defensive item (5 hits from Hades can easily be over 100 damage if you have Hard Labor going). Otherwise with standard damage you probably want lucky tooth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's worth noting that mom pom, while not exactly a trap per say, isn't really as good as it seems on the surface and you're pretty much always better off taking something else unless you're using it in Styx to beef up a completed build. You only get credit in encounter rooms (so no wells, Charon, Chaos) so it's 2-3 extra poms per floor aside from Styx where it's closer to 6-8 if you complete all the rooms. That's not that many, and since it can pom any random boon you're unlikely to have it actually hit what you want too often unless you're running a very lean set of boons. You're better off using an Olympian keepsake to force a god into your pool that will help your build, or the hourglass to carry forward a ton of well buffs, etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For Styx I usually either use distant memory or the earrings depending on my build

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Klyith posted:

The thing is, to get offered the replacements you have to have a full set of core boons, and by that time you should be well on your way to having a build strat.

This is wrong. I don't doubt that having full core boons makes it more likely you get a replacement, but I've definitely had runs where I only had one or two core slots filled and was still offered a replacement boon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nihilarian posted:

i'm currently trying to get the pierced butterfly achievement, but normally i use the pom until the last cabinet, where i swap to the tooth to give me an extra defiance. I can't imagine swapping to pierced butterfly late, only the boss rooms in Styx count for it

drat, I didn't check the %. I had noticed the Plume % not going up from those rooms when I tried it once but just thought I wasn't going fast enough (the game never tells you what fast actually means). Well, at least that narrows down my choices.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

drat, I didn't check the %. I had noticed the Plume % not going up from those rooms when I tried it once but just thought I wasn't going fast enough (the game never tells you what fast actually means). Well, at least that narrows down my choices.

I thought this, too, but it does tell you: There's a circular timer under the Plume Icon that empties as you fight. If there's any time left, you get the bonus.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

serefin99 posted:

This is wrong. I don't doubt that having full core boons makes it more likely you get a replacement, but I've definitely had runs where I only had one or two core slots filled and was still offered a replacement boon.
my first run after finding out about the replacement, my first boon was dionysis attack, which i then replaced with poseidon attack at the second boon. So can confirm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kheldarn posted:

I thought this, too, but it does tell you: There's a circular timer under the Plume Icon that empties as you fight. If there's any time left, you get the bonus.

Batting a thousand on this page, aren't I. Thanks, will look for it next time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To the person who asked if the game gets harder aside from Heat level, I think it does. Just today I came across that Tartarus Mini-Boss who fires beams but it was in a new room we had never fought in before. And I could swear that Theseus and the Minotaur have some new attacks, like that one where the Minotaur charges at Theseus.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lobok posted:

To the person who asked if the game gets harder aside from Heat level, I think it does. Just today I came across that Tartarus Mini-Boss who fires beams but it was in a new room we had never fought in before. And I could swear that Theseus and the Minotaur have some new attacks, like that one where the Minotaur charges at Theseus.

Theseus and Asterius do learn new attacks (I've heard the trigger is them repairing their relationship after Theseus calls Zagreus a homewrecker), but for the miniboss, are you sure you didn't have the Middle Management condition for the Pact active? That gives every miniboss (except one) some new trick or aspect that's supposed to make the fight harder, and for the giant soulstone that's a new room.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Didn't think I did but my Pacts have been changing every run so I must have misremembered which run was which.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lobok posted:

Because I know you were all dying for an update I finally got my Zeus Legendary Boon. Filled out that prophecy but even nicer was completing the Pacts prophecy. Good shot in the arm to get 15 blood all at once to beef up some Aspects.

The acorn is easily the best one for the first 10 or so fights with Hades until you get the hang of face stomping him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I still use it from time to time, particularly if I've got a build for close-up fighting.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, the acorn was my go-to for Styx for quite some time. Very handy little keepsake that will save you from a lot more damage than you think

I also really like the broken spearpoint. It also helps a ton with the boss, especially if you get hit with the burning blood, while also being really useful in the Styx rooms. It gives you a ton more time to react to getting poisoned

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fuzz posted:

The acorn is easily the best one for the first 10 or so fights with Hades until you get the hang of face stomping him.

Here's why 100 health from skelly's tooth is probably better than 5 hits from the acorn at low heat:
* Hades' spear spin does over 20 damage, everything else does less than 20. So unless you're getting hit by nothing but spear swings it's probably a wash as far as total life added.
* Taking damage charges your call, while damage negated by the acorn doesn't. So the tooth is is like an extra 50% of call meter.
* DD gives you some benefits like a short invuln shield, and some boons trigger extra effects for it.

If enemies have +damage from heat all that goes out the window and the acorn is way better.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I also really like the broken spearpoint. It also helps a ton with the boss, especially if you get hit with the burning blood, while also being really useful in the Styx rooms. It gives you a ton more time to react to getting poisoned

Yeah, that's one of my faves. I feel like it's only a small help against Hades himself, but it's great in Styx.

Not sure why you'd say it's great against burning blood though? That's not a DoT effect, it's 2x damage taken while under the effect. What you can do with the spearpoint is use the invuln to tank the lasers and get inside the "hug dad" circle.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Klyith posted:

Yeah, that's one of my faves. I feel like it's only a small help against Hades himself, but it's great in Styx.

Not sure why you'd say it's great against burning blood though? That's not a DoT effect, it's 2x damage taken while under the effect. What you can do with the spearpoint is use the invuln to tank the lasers and get inside the "hug dad" circle.

more so that it prevents you from getting pasted by a boiling blood -> spearspin combo. The 1.5 second duration of the spearpoint will negate most of the boiling bloods effect, tho i think it lasts long enough that you can still get hit pretty hard if youre not careful

the spearpoint can also help a bit with the trap jars, since their stun is about as long as the invuln phase of the spearpoint

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 16, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Lobok posted:

I'm pretty sure a bunch of new enemies appear in Tartarus after the first time you reach the surface, same trigger as unlocking Demeter.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The wringers and the Wretched Sneak definitely don't appear before you've made your first escape.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

whats the easiest way to clear 32 heat? Zag fists? Hestia? Rama? Something else?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I guess it depends on the exact heat configuration. Rama's machine gun bow is a slow and steady weapon, so I'd stock up on normal enemies modifiers but avoid too much Tight Deadline.

Fists? :black101: but you better plan how to heal incidental damage from the shortest range weapon.
(Then again you did mention Zag fists so the plan can be 80% dodge)

Or Bestia. Scout for an epic attack as first boon seed, thunder signet, laugh all the way to Dad.

E: Excalibur is a decent option, stupid% damage reduction plan is viable and that 200 base damage swing is :discourse:. Poseidon aspect is unreliable, Zagreus aspect doesn't have the offensive numbers, Nemesis aspect could work but it'd be the highest octane run you'd ever make.

I'd avoid any spear aspect for 32 heat and I'm the local spear whisperer.

Zeus shield or Beowulf shield should work I think? I don't really get the shield tbh.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 16, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

whats the easiest way to clear 32 heat? Zag fists? Hestia? Rama? Something else?

I mean I think it's to taste based on playstyle but if you asked me for each weapon I'd pick:

-Excalibur with Aphro attack + a status dash (drunken or frost) and PS. Hits extremely hard, Excalibur is fairly comfy with extra health and the aura.
-Achilles with a strong cast (ice wine'd festive fog, crush shot) just special rush out of damage over and over while spamming casts.
-Beowulf, same as Achillies pair with a strong cast and do nothing but bull rush + load cast
-Both Chiron and Rama are good choices but kind of hammer dependent. Rama with a attack/special PS combo + the twin shot hammer is insanely powerful, likewise Chiron with Aphro/Artemis attack/special + heart rend + relentless and/or concentrated volley melts single targets.
-Zag fists with a fixed damage attack (Zeus, Ares + Dire Misfortune, etc) and the Hermes keepsake I guess, I'd probably take stubborn defiance so I could go all in on finishing chambers quickly to get the plum proc's without having to worry about dying constantly.
-Hestia with Aphro attack + a status dash for PS. Extremely boring to play but fairly safe and does insane damage.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I took Blade+Arthur, but personally I reckon zag fists.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It's crazy how you play this game and can barely get to the Hydra, then it clicks, you can now rub your butt over Hades' face like a Duke boy getting in the General Lee.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

All of my 32 heat clears had the Athena Dash. Deflect is just too good, especially if you can also add Exposed to make whatever you're using it on a status painter. Can't really remember why I was so enamored of adding Dionysus, which is on brand.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 17, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hell yeah, 32 heat first try! Hestia OP

would not recommend going EM4 with Forced Overtime 2 and Heightened Security. Went in there with all 3 DDs plus skelly tooth and barely made it out alive. Those drat vases were doing 150 damage :shepface:

Still, a Call build of all things came through for me in the end. Was getting a free call every 5 seconds that would boost my speed, damage, and dodge. Surprisingly effective

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah that trap pact is a goddamn trap (fake edit: ugh not intended) and should be way higher heat, simply from how the urns deal a gazillion damage with it on.

I think you need epic Athena trap damage reduction to go back to normal damage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This may not have been my most powerful/efficient build but it's certainly the highest "level" build I've ever had. I got that Rare Crop boon early on to boost some core boons up to Heroic by mid-game and I limited my choice of gods to give a better chance of Legendaries and Duos.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the mirror talent that raises the chances for duos and legendaries is great. Love finishing a run with 3 duos and a legendary without trying

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Urgh, struggling with that Thorn of Thanatos trophy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xillah posted:

Urgh, struggling with that Thorn of Thanatos trophy.

Try to get Athena dash ASAP, if you're specifically fixated on getting that trophy you may even want to just throw away runs until you get Athena in the first chamber. Run a safe weapon aspect like Chiron/Rama/Hestia/Lucifer that lets you stay out of melee range so all you have to worry about is projectiles which you can deflect with the dash. Run with no heat (or at least no forced overtime or tight deadline) and take rooms slow. If you do get Athena you should also take God's Legacy on the mirror and try for her Legendary, it gives you a shield that refreshes every 20 seconds that blocks an instance of damage and doesn't count as getting hit for the purposes of the Butterfly. Also prioritize Hermes when he's offered: extra dashes is huge for avoiding incoming damage and while it shouldn't be relied upon, 10-20% dodge chance can save you in a pinch.

Definitely one of the more annoying cheevos, I think it might have actually been the last one I got on my way to 100%

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Personally, I'd use the shield and try to reroll rooms to get the hammer that turns Bull Rush into a projectile attack and use the spin disc aspect. And try for a strong Cast build. I can turtle but also rain Hellfire down on enemies.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Thanks for the tips lads, I'll try again tomorrow. It's the last one I need for the plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here's an embarrassing way to end a run

https://v.redd.it/hgf18fm1vxca1/DASH_720.mp4